ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life How long do you plan on wearing a mask in public? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=337543)

Bearcat 03-18-2021 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 15591624)
85% of the country will never get vaccinated. I'm not sure that over 50% will. I'm not getting vaccinated. Nobody in my family is getting vaccinated. In fact, most people I know aren't getting vaccinated.

22% of the country has received at least one shot and 12% have received both.

BWillie 03-18-2021 10:17 AM

Quote:

85% of the country will never get vaccinated. I'm not sure that over 50% will. I'm not getting vaccinated. Nobody in my family is getting vaccinated. In fact, most people I know aren't getting vaccinated.

That is what I'm afraid of.

Did you throw a fit when you had to get the measles vaccine or vaccinated before going to public school? Why is this just now a thing?

It's just ignorant to not get vaccinated if you are like under 80, I'm sorry.

Vaccines are one of the greatest inventions of our civilization to keep people healthy.

jjchieffan 03-18-2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 15591626)
Why are you choosing not to get vaccinated?

Several reasons. First of all, I don't ever get the flu vaccine either. I'm not concerned with catching Covid or the flu. If I do, oh well. I'll get sick, then I'll get better. My sisters and their husbands have had it. My stepdaughter had it. They all got better. Secondly, I don't trust this vaccine. I'm not an anti vaccine person. I and my family have had all of our shots. Although, I am skeptical. My daughter and one my stepdaughters are autistic, so I've read a lot about the claims that vaccines have been linked to autism. I don't know if I believe it or not, but there is a lot of supporting information to at least consider it.

jjchieffan 03-18-2021 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 15591642)

Did you throw a fit when you had to get the measles vaccine or vaccinated before going to public school? Why is this just now a thing?

Vaccines are one of the greatest inventions of our civilization to keep people healthy.

This one was developed so quickly, and the first using mRNA. We won't know for a while what the side effects will be. No thanks.

tmax63 03-18-2021 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 15591575)
At 65k cases a day, we are nowhere near herd immunity. Herd immunity is difficult to apply to viruses that typically mutate. The flu mutates ALOT and conraviruses SOME. Nonetheless, herd immunity likely can never be truly achieved due to this. A Covid vaccine will likely be needed every 1-2 years for the rest of our lives. Some of you are just going to have to come to grips with that.

I don't have a problem with vaccinations every year or 2 if necessary. That's not really the question. Vaccinations to those who want it will be done by summer even if herd immunity doesn't occur although I think it will. BS in Medical Technology and 32 years in Army Medical Corps tells me it will to some degree. Nothing is absolute. At what point do you stop letting politicians use the pandemic as a tool to restrict your personal freedoms and choices?

TwistedChief 03-18-2021 10:21 AM

My mother has severe respiratory issues and is labeled 'immunocompromised.' She's had both shots of the Moderna vaccine. My father wanted to double check on her antibody level so they both got tested. My father's antibodies came back ~180 while my mother's were <0.8. I.e., it was essentially as if my mother had never taken the vaccine in the first place. There's only one study out there, but it seems like the vaccine (at least the mRNA versions of Moderna/Pfizer) only stick with about 1 in 5 people who are immunocompromised.

My mother did nothing wrong. She did everything right. She's just vulnerable and may be for the rest of her life. I'll wear a mask for quite some time until the covid incidence rate falls meaningfully to protect people like her.

ThaVirus 03-18-2021 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 15591644)
I'm not an anti vaccine person.

Quote:

I don't trust this vaccine.

Quote:

My daughter and one my stepdaughters are autistic, so I've read a lot about the claims that vaccines have been linked to autism. I don't know if I believe it or not, but there is a lot of supporting information to at least consider it

Sounds like you are.

Overall you're a pretty anti-science kind of dude. What's your line of work, if you don't mind me asking?

TLO 03-18-2021 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 15591642)

The success/ effectiveness of the mRNA vaccines will go down as one the greatest scientific achievements to date. They also open a lot of doors for future treatments and vaccinations.

It's nothing short of awesome.

jjchieffan 03-18-2021 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 15591640)

Maybe I'm wrong. Time will tell. But I've seen news stories in this area about Covid vaccines not being used. People in rural areas just don't want it.

Fish 03-18-2021 10:23 AM

Quote:

Secondly, I don't trust this vaccine. I'm not an anti vaccine person.

LMAO

ChiTown 03-18-2021 10:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 15591640)

I'm guessing the final numbers will be +70% of all adults (18+ yrs of age) will be vaccinated. I believe that will ultimately be enough for us to eventually reach herd immunity.

TLO 03-18-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 15591652)
My mother has severe respiratory issues and is labeled 'immunocompromised.' She's had both shots of the Moderna vaccine. My father wanted to double check on her antibody level so they both got tested. My father's antibodies came back ~180 while my mother's were <0.8. I.e., it was essentially as if my mother had never taken the vaccine in the first place. There's only one study out there, but it seems like the vaccine (at least the mRNA versions of Moderna/Pfizer) only stick with about 1 in 5 people who are immunocompromised.

My mother did nothing wrong. She did everything right. She's just vulnerable and may be for the rest of her life. I'll wear a mask for quite some time until the covid incidence rate falls meaningfully to protect people like her.

What test did they take? Many of the antibody tests available are notoriously unreliable

TwistedChief 03-18-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 15591668)
What test did they take? Many of the antibody tests available are notoriously unreliable

Sure, but it squares entirely with this:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti...ng_News_Active

FloridaMan88 03-18-2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 15591652)
My mother has severe respiratory issues and is labeled 'immunocompromised.'

Which means she is also susceptible to complications from the flu, pneumonia, the common cold... pretty much any type of respiratory virus/infection.

Did you wear masks around her before COVID-19, during flu season?

Pitt Gorilla 03-18-2021 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 15591648)
This one was developed so quickly, and the first using mRNA. We won't know for a while what the side effects will be. No thanks.

"Side effects"? Of mRNA? Are you ****ing serious? FFS