ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Need advice on cutting cable cost. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271843)

WilliamTheIrish 11-24-2015 01:53 PM

I would just like to say " F u" to Insignia. Trying to get audio out of this and into the soundbar is a ****ing hassle.

Baby Lee 11-25-2015 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 11902169)
OK,

So I finally had some time to look this over. It turns out that MY Insignia tv doesn't have an optical in/output, and LG sound bar has ONLY an optical output. So I guess I'll need some kind of converter for the optical.

First off I assume you mean the LG only has an optical INPUT? Which, if it's a sound bar, are you sure? It's main job is to take in a signal and output sound. Seems like the company would give you as many paths to do that as practicable. At the very least you should have a plain stereo headphone input, or a pair of analog RCA.

What are you streaming from? Is it in the same room as your HT? If not and you're streaming via WiFi, you might also be able to stream to a BluRay player instead, then use the BluRay's outputs.

If it's a PC, you should be able to bypass the TV and output directly from the onboard sound. Does your MOBO have Realtek Audio? There should be an optical [and coaxial, and multiple headphone jack] output on the back of your PC.

It should look similar to this

http://i39.tinypic.com/2r7c8c4.jpg

WilliamTheIrish 11-26-2015 03:01 PM

BL,

Thanks for being patient with me.

So far, I'm only able to get sound through the soundbar by using the headphone jack on the TV connected via auxiliary cord to the LG soundbar. . Not much rich sound coming out, but it'll have to do.

I'm streaming from a Chromecast or Firestick that's plugged into the HDMI. Or, I'm just catching anything via OTA HD antenna.

ragedogg69 11-30-2015 02:37 PM

model numbers of everything you are trying to hook up will greatly help him out.

Skyy God 11-30-2015 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 11904465)
I would just like to say " F u" to Insignia. Trying to get audio out of this and into the soundbar is a ****ing hassle.

Buy a real brand, cheapo. ;)

srvy 11-30-2015 05:33 PM

This tv doent have optical does it have coaxial? Its just as good as optical. Maybe rca jacks? Would be mono possibly stereo but is better than nothing.

WilliamTheIrish 11-30-2015 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 11917736)
Buy a real brand, cheapo. ;)

Yea, I ****ed myself on that purchase. Seriously.

ragedogg69 12-01-2015 05:05 PM

So Genesis got dropped from support in October. I had no idea. The developer was sick of everyone shitting on him because the video sources would block Kodi users ever few days and he had to fix it. I personally have not noticed anything yet, but I expect it to be dead in a few months. All those bastards selling chinese android boxes on ebay with "free tv and movies" loaded on it really ****ed us here.

NewChief 12-01-2015 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 11920301)
So Genesis got dropped from support in October. I had no idea. The developer was sick of everyone shitting on him because the video sources would block Kodi users ever few days and he had to fix it. I personally have not noticed anything yet, but I expect it to be dead in a few months. All those bastards selling chinese android boxes on ebay with "free tv and movies" loaded on it really ****ed us here.

According to this sub, he hasn't actually completely abandoned it yet. I'd seen stuff where he was discussing it because of the annoyance of constantly have to update it due to its popularity and people complanining about it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Addons4Kodi...ed_or_updated/

There's an addon called SALTS (stream all the sources) that a lot of people like. I'm still using Genesis effectively with 1Channel thrown in on occasion.

007 12-01-2015 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11920312)
According to this sub, he hasn't actually completely abandoned it yet. I'd seen stuff where he was discussing it because of the annoyance of constantly have to update it due to its popularity and people complanining about it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Addons4Kodi...ed_or_updated/

There's an addon called SALTS (stream all the sources) that a lot of people like. I'm still using Genesis effectively with 1Channel thrown in on occasion.

I'm pretty much back to 1channel exclusively. If those two devs could just get together it would be a perfect program

TambaBerry 12-13-2015 06:14 PM

Anyone ever use raspberry pi, thinking of buying this and getting rid of my cable

Fish 12-13-2015 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 11951280)
Anyone ever use raspberry pi, thinking of buying this and getting rid of my cable

Not sure I'd rely on a Pi for complete cord cutting. They only run Linux/KODI, so you won't be able to use some web-based stuff like Netflix, Hulu, etc. They're pretty much KODI only. If you plan on using any non-KODI based sources for media, you might be disappointed.

Lots of cheap Android KODI boxes right now that would do better in my opinion.

ragedogg69 12-19-2015 02:22 PM

i picked up a Rasp Pi 2 because it is the only Kodi build that will do 3D isos. Seems snappy. Fish is right, it is missing some must have apps. You would need to add a chromecast to make it complete. A Fire TV or Nexus Player will do what a Rasp Pi + Chromecast will do.

Skyy God 12-24-2015 01:45 PM

Anyone know if much content is encoded in HEVC and VP9 these days? I'm debating whether to upgrade to the 2015 Fire TV for that reason.

Skyy God 12-24-2015 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 11951280)

Never used a Pi, but the Fire TV is a rockstar at running XBMC/Kodi.