ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life S.O. wearing ex's jewelry? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=224180)

El Jefe 03-02-2010 04:29 PM

S.O. wearing ex's jewelry?

So I was curious about this. Do you think it's ok for your significant other to wear jewelry or clothing articles from their previous significant others? My girlfriend has a few very minor jewlery pieces that she has from past relationships. I don't really care that much, except for a necklace she has from a previous boyfriend that I really don't like, but it's an annoyance that I can deal with. Is there some form of etiquette on this topic? If she had a ton of it, then I would probably be a little more annoyed. I'm sure a lot of you have had similar issues, just curious if it bothered you or not.

wutamess 03-02-2010 04:33 PM

Kill the bitch!
I keed! I keed! :D

Seriously though... there's no need for her to wear that shit.
She's holding on to something. It meant something to her then just because she's with you doesn't mean it doesn't now.

If you're fine with it then be fine with it...
If you're not... it's a matter of disrespect and you need to grow a pair.

Miles 03-02-2010 04:35 PM

De Beers would suggest you replace that necklace.

morphius 03-02-2010 04:39 PM

I guess it would depend on the jewelry, the simple generic type stuff I wouldn't sweat. The others, hmmm.

Fish 03-02-2010 04:40 PM

It's just a stupid piece of jewelry. Don't be all insecure or jealous because the shit she has didn't all come from you. It's just stuff. If you make a scene over it, you're just going to come off as a dick.

sedated 03-02-2010 04:40 PM

I don't really see an issue with it.

If it was an engagement ring or a locket with his and her pictures in it, I could see having an issue, but not just some generic earings or whatever.

I still have clothes from past girlfriends, and it never brings back some emotional attachment when I wear it.

How did it come up that it was a gift from an ex? Did she specifically point it out, or did you ask?

wild1 03-02-2010 04:40 PM

WWOJD

Rain Man 03-02-2010 04:41 PM

I'd draw the line at wedding rings or engagement rings.

Other than that, the key is the symbolism. Does she just think it's a necklace, or does she think it's a reminder of the deep and abiding love she once had for Percival or Chauncey or whatever his name is?

Katipan 03-02-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 6570523)

Other than that, the key is the symbolism. Does she just think it's a necklace, or does she think it's a reminder of the deep and abiding love she once had for Percival or Chauncey or whatever his name is?

I was going to post this. But with way more sexual innuendo.

Rain Man 03-02-2010 04:42 PM

I still wear a Disney World t-shirt I got on a vacation with a girlfriend more than 20 years ago. I don't think it bothers my wife, but maybe I should ask.

Rain Man 03-02-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katipan (Post 6570525)
I was going to post this. But with way more sexual innuendo.

It would be impossible to have more sexual innuendo than one of my posts. It's just deeply buried between the lines.

loochy 03-02-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 6570523)

This. Maybe it's just a nice necklace. There's no reason to make her take it of if she really just likes the necklace. I doubt she's holding onto it because every time she puts it on she thinks of him.

Hell, I still have a jacket that my ex got me and I like the jacket. I don't even think of her anymore when I put it on. I'd be more than a little pissed if my GF wanted me to get rid of it.

Jilly 03-02-2010 04:46 PM

I think jewelry is a little different than clothing. Unless the clothing was actually the ex's clothing. Like, I'm not gonna go around wearing my ex's button down shirt around the house.
I'd say if it's just costume stuff, then no worries, but anything with value - monetary or otherwise should probably not really be something she should wear.

BIG_DADDY 03-02-2010 04:47 PM

Just look at it and laugh one time. She will ask you what you are laughing at to which you respond "that necklace just shows what poor tast your ex has, pretty funny" and move on. She may wear it a few more times but that's it.

CoMoChief 03-02-2010 04:48 PM

It's a piece of jewelry. Who ****ing cares. Would you have known otherwise had she not told you it was from a previous BF?