ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Mark Cuban: "The NFL is 10 years away from an implosion." (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282526)

tk13 03-24-2014 12:52 AM

Mark Cuban: "The NFL is 10 years away from an implosion."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...away-implosion

Quote:

Cuban: With TV deal, NFL is 'hoggy'
By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

DALLAS - Mark Cuban, the outspoken Dallas Mavericks owner, predicts a drastic decline in the popularity of the NFL over the next decade due to the league's greed.

"I think the NFL is 10 years away from an implosion," Cuban said Sunday evening when his pregame conversation with reporters, which covered a broad range of topics, swayed toward football. "I'm just telling you, pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. And they're getting hoggy. Just watch. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way.

"I'm just telling you, when you've got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns on you. That's rule number one of business."

Cuban is specifically referring to the NFL expanding their television package. He considers it a poor business decision for the NFL, which consistently dominates TV ratings, to play games on days other than Sunday and Monday.

In February, the NFL announced a one-year deal with CBS and NFL Network partnering to televise Thursday night games. CBS, which won the bidding for the Thursday night package over NBC, ABC, Fox and Turner, will air the games during the first eight weeks of the season, simulcasting them with the NFL Network. The league's cable network will exclusively show six Thursday night games later in the season with CBS' top announcing tandem of Jim Nantz and Phil Simms in the booth. The NFL Network will also have a Saturday doubleheader in Week 16.

The NFL started a limited package of Thursday night games in 2006. The NFL Network showed 13 Thursday night games last season.

"They're trying to take over every night of TV," Cuban said. "Initially, it'll be, 'Yeah, they're the biggest-rating thing that there is.' OK, Thursday, that's great, regardless of whether it impacts [the NBA] during that period when we cross over. Then if it gets Saturday, now you're impacting colleges. Now it's on four days a week. ...

"It's all football. At some point, the people get sick of it."

Cuban said the NFL is making a mistake by valuing television money over the convenience of fans who are used to planning for their NFL teams to play on Sundays with the occasional Monday night game. He compared it to the decline in popularity of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" after the game show expanded to air five days a week.

"They put it on every night," Cuban said. "Not 100 percent analogous, but they handled it the same. I'm just telling you, pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered."

go bo 03-24-2014 01:31 AM

10 years?

it's already a (pansy) passing league...

mikey23545 03-24-2014 01:49 AM

I know I would always listen to a business owner who is in competition with my business for advice...

Dayze 03-24-2014 03:25 AM

I agree with him . I've steadily moved on from the NFL since 2008. I used to be die hard NFL; Sunday Ticket, Blocking out entire days for nothing but football etc. Now, I don't really give a shit. I'll watch the Chiefs, but other than that, I don't really care. A LOT of it has to do with the example Cuban had. Too many ****ing games on TV, and too many games featuring a golden boy team for that specific year ( Broncos last year).

I'd say i'm probably 10% invested in the NFL and 90% invested in NCAA football.
The NFL has become highly oversaturated in the last 6 years. Combine that with all the ****ing rule changes that have made the game a shell of its' former self, and insane contracts (yes, I know, the NFL compared to MLB and NBA is not as crazy), the NFL is nearly dead to me. Seeing a buch of millionaires running around playing a game that has become 'meh', just doesn't do it for me.

houstonwhodat 03-24-2014 04:14 AM

Bulls make money.
Bears make money.
Hogs get slaughtered.

Jimmya 03-24-2014 04:32 AM

I like it. I can watch football almost every day of the week.

jallmon 03-24-2014 04:50 AM

Not living in the KC area, I watch the NFL RedZone to keep up with the Chiefs.
I haven't seen a Thursday, Sunday or Monday night game in 3 years, unless the Chiefs are on. Get up early to go to work, so in bed by 8:00 - 8:30.

blaise 03-24-2014 05:24 AM

I see what he's saying but the NFL has had Saturday games before. That's not new.
The Thursday night games usually don't seem very interesting to me for whatever reason. Usually because they're dogs I guess.

gosampel 03-24-2014 05:35 AM

He just need to stay to NBA and worry about how they can beat pisses test you cant beat in the NFL

Simply Red 03-24-2014 05:45 AM

I bet the farm this guy has a coke problem.

Fritz88 03-24-2014 05:48 AM

After watching League of Denial in PBS, it's possible but not in 10 years though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dragonocho 03-24-2014 06:11 AM

He may have a point, but then again he owns a franchise that has a 82 game regular season where NBA players loaf up and down the court night after night. He could be more introspective.

ping2000 03-24-2014 06:15 AM

That will be the year the Chiefs win another Super Bowl; when no one cares about football anymore.

Deberg_1990 03-24-2014 06:24 AM

The "product" of the NFL has become watered down. 8-8 league.......and that's exactly what they want.
Posted via Mobile Device

GoChargers 03-24-2014 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10512730)
The "product" of the NFL has become watered down. 8-8 league.......and that's exactly what they want.
Posted via Mobile Device

8-8 league? Really? The NFL is far more polarized than that, with the Seahawks, Whiners, Donks, etc. on one end and absolutely hopeless franchises like the Faid and the Browns on the other.

I do agree with Cuban that the NFL is headed for a downturn with the way things are going. They're messing with a good product by watering the game down with senseless rule changes, blatant favoritism shown to certain players and teams, and the general year-round overexposure of the league nowadays.

TEX 03-24-2014 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChargers (Post 10512734)
8-8 league? Really? The NFL is far more polarized than that, with the Seahawks, Whiners, Donks, etc. on one end and absolutely hopeless franchises like the Faid and the Browns on the other.

I do agree with Cuban that the NFL is headed for a downturn with the way things are going. They're messing with a good product by watering the game down with senseless rule changes, blatant favoritism shown to certain players and teams, and the general year-round overexposure of the league nowadays.

Exactly. Everyone BUT the NFL it seems has heard of the common sense rule of, "If it ain't broke - DONT "fix" it". Especially when they keep "fixing" it and cause more problems. For instance they "fix" missed calls by allowing challenges - yet they have an out with the "whistle blew" rule that only allows "certain" things to be challenged. That shit goes hand and hand with blatant favoritism and allows "critical moments" in games to be controlled which can often times influence the outcome.

BossChief 03-24-2014 07:08 AM

I agree, to an extent.

I also think that trying to expand the league out of the us is gonna be a huge logistical mistake.

TEX 03-24-2014 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10512751)
I agree, to an extent.

I also think that trying to expand the league out of the us is gonna be a huge logistical mistake.

Sure will. Not only that, I'm not sure the rest of the world wants it to begin with...Deal is every one of us could sit here and list many things wrong with the NFL. That wasn't the case 10 years ago...:hmmm:

Rausch 03-24-2014 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10512730)
Posted via Mobile Device

What?

The NFC had about 8 winning teams and a bunch of dog$#it. You had an 11-5 team not make the playoffs in the NFC.

Cuban is a jealous bitch that wishes the NBA was anywhere close to as popular as the NFL...

Rausch 03-24-2014 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10512751)
I agree, to an extent.

I think England is a huge mistake.

I could see giving the 'Nadians a team. I'm sure with the whole of the nation they could support one NFL franchise...

BlackHelicopters 03-24-2014 07:26 AM

Cuban is a pretty smart business man. Might want to listen to him.

Rausch 03-24-2014 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 10512780)
Cuban is a pretty smart business man. Might want to listen to him.

If he was that smart he would have bought an NFL team...

Steron 03-24-2014 07:48 AM

I agree with him.

I HATE the Thursday games. I HATE the MNF double-header(s). Stick to Sunday, late season Saturday games, and MNF. Kill NFLN. They're diluting the product chasing $$$$$.

EDIT: Oh, and kill the games in Europe.

htismaqe 03-24-2014 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10512783)
If he was that smart he would have bought an NFL team...

They won't let him. Good ole boys club.

Rausch 03-24-2014 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10512828)
They won't let him.

Aaaaaaaaaand there's the butthurt behind the comments...

blaise 03-24-2014 07:53 AM

Only having enough money for an NBA franchise doesn't really mean you're not smart.

Chief Roundup 03-24-2014 07:59 AM

The premise behind what he is saying is absolutely correct. The only time TV shows are on every night is when their popularity has dwindled. Absolutely there would be some that would love to have football on most evenings. But the majority of people need a break or they become complacent about whatever it is. We can definitely get too much of anything, if it is a good thing we will over indulge quickly, which generally leads to a quicker end to the enjoyment.
The NFL should stop with the occasional Thursday night game for the regular season. I don't even like that because those games are generally on the NFLN only.
I also agree with others that have stated we need to stay out of Europe. Way, way too many logistical obstacles that can and will arise no matter how smooth everything looks on paper.

TEX 03-24-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steron (Post 10512825)
I agree with him.

I HATE the Thursday games. I HATE the MNF double-header(s). Stick to Sunday, late season Saturday games, and MNF. Kill NFLN. They're diluting the product chasing $$$$$.

EDIT: Oh, and kill the games in Europe.

Yep. The MNF Double-Header is stupid....The owners will only stop and think when they get less money for some revenue streams. For example NFL Sunday Ticket will negotiate their price down due to less games being offered to them on any given Sunday. Anyone who has had Sunday Ticket for 6-10 years can see the effect as there are far less games available because of 2 MNF games, Thursday games, Sunday night games etc. . If DTV can't get the subscriptions, they won't pay as much to televise them. Of course the NFL will shop it but a new carrier might not want to pay a premium either as they will certainly recognize the trend. Deal is this will have to happen with several revenue streams because any single loss could be absorbed and covered by another one. When it happens on multiple levels, they owners will listen.

TEX 03-24-2014 08:04 AM

Quote:

Yep. He applied for ownership of the Houston franchise but was denied. He had all the credentials.

Rausch 03-24-2014 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 10512851)
The premise behind what he is saying is absolutely correct. The only time TV shows are on every night is when their popularity has dwindled. Absolutely there would be some that would love to have football on most evenings. But the majority of people need a break or they become complacent about whatever it is. We can definitely get too much of anything, if it is a good thing we will over indulge quickly, which generally leads to a quicker end to the enjoyment.
The NFL should stop with the occasional Thursday night game for the regular season. I don't even like that because those games are generally on the NFLN only.

The reason that doesn't happen with the NFL is because the season is so short with so few games.

The NBA and MLB saturate with an insane schedule and so the games don't really matter early in the year. No one cares.

Even NASCAR seems like it never ends. It's every week.

People aren't asking for less NFL. Compare sunday ticket subscribers to ten years ago. Compare fantasy football money.

It's all trending up...

SeeingRed 03-24-2014 08:07 AM

because it takes away from his ratings...jeolous wanna be NFL owner

Rausch 03-24-2014 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeeingRed (Post 10512862)
because it takes away from his ratings...jeolous wanna be NFL owner

This...

blaise 03-24-2014 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 10512856)
Yep. He applied for ownership of the Houston franchise but was denied. He had all the credentials.

I didn't realize he had that kind of money. But I just looked and it said he was worth more than Bob McNair. For some reason I'd always thought he was a level down from those guys.

BigMeatballDave 03-24-2014 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steron (Post 10512825)
I agree with him.

:spock:

BigMeatballDave 03-24-2014 08:17 AM

Quote:

I also agree with others that have stated we need to stay out of Europe. Way, way too many logistical obstacles that can and will arise no matter how smooth everything looks on paper.

You're talking about a 4-month window.

Buehler445 03-24-2014 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10512832)
Aaaaaaaaaand there's the butthurt behind the comments...

That's what I was thinking.

Either that or the assbag wants his name in the news again, and here we are talking about it.

Isn't he doing some Donald Trump wannabe show where he talks about business? He's probably just trying to get some free pub for it.

TEX 03-24-2014 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 10512868)
I didn't realize he had that kind of money. But I just looked and it said he was worth more than Bob McNair. For some reason I'd always thought he was a level down from those guys.

Nope. In fact, he produced the most net worth and cash liquid application for the Houston franchise. He thought about filing a law suit against the NFL when it was rejected, but he knew he would lose so he decided to call it a day and walk away.

Bugeater 03-24-2014 08:45 AM

If the goal is to get more games on TV, I don't know why they can't just give both FOX and CBS doubleheaders each Sunday. I'm more likely to stay tuned in if I have more choices.

Oh and **** you guys who don't like the opening week MNF doubleheader. 6 hrs of football on a Monday night? Yes please.

blaise 03-24-2014 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 10512917)
If the goal is to get more games on TV, I don't know why they can't just give both FOX and CBS doubleheaders each Sunday. I'm more likely to stay tuned in if I have more choices.

Oh and **** you guys who don't like the opening week MNF doubleheader. 6 hrs of football on a Monday night? Yes please.

I've always hated that - that both networks don't have doubleheaders on Sunday.

GoChargers 03-24-2014 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10512857)
The reason that doesn't happen with the NFL is because the season is so short with so few games.

The NBA and MLB saturate with an insane schedule and so the games don't really matter early in the year. No one cares.

Even NASCAR seems like it never ends. It's every week.

People aren't asking for less NFL. Compare sunday ticket subscribers to ten years ago. Compare fantasy football money.

It's all trending up...

Say what you will, but at least the NBA, MLB, and NASCAR oversaturate with actual games/races - in other words, meaningful content. The NFL is oversaturated 24/7/365 and the vast majority of it is just media hype, usually about the same three teams every year. Do we really need wall-to-wall coverage of the combine? Plus they moved the draft to May now so the media can spend more time obsessing over that. No other sport has the year-round media cycle that the NFL does and it's really turning it into that much more of a chore while taking away from the other sports.

I'd also argue that the early games in those other sports count far more than you're giving credit for. I bet the Knicks and Nets would like to have all those early-season losses back now, for instance.

Bearcat 03-24-2014 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChargers (Post 10512734)

There are 4 or 5 teams every year that rise to the top, 3 or 4 teams that are absolute shit show, and the middle ~25 teams is a mess of mediocre football... and whether they end up with ~10 wins or 6 wins, there's just not much of a difference. Hell, the difference between those other 25 teams and the Broncos is Peyton Manning, and even the Tebow Broncos won a playoff game.

It's all part of the greed of the NFL... parity on steroids to hold everyone's interest, even if it makes for a watered down product.

greatgooglymoogly 03-24-2014 08:56 AM

Well, baseball used to pull the highest ratings of any American sport. I don't see an "implosion", but it isn't unreasonable to think that some other sport could surpass football's ratings and popularity (although a 10-year time frame seems too brief).

blaise 03-24-2014 09:00 AM

Fantasy Football and gambling will keep football popular even if the product slips.

Buehler445 03-24-2014 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatgooglymoogly (Post 10512932)
Well, baseball used to pull the highest ratings of any American sport. I don't see an "implosion", but it isn't unreasonable to think that some other sport could surpass football's ratings and popularity (although a 10-year time frame seems too brief).

I'm not an old bastard like all you other ****ers so I don't know (:D), but didn't the strike pretty much kill baseballs popularity?

Fansy the Famous Bard 03-24-2014 09:11 AM

MLB making a comeback? :P

Chief Roundup 03-24-2014 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10512881)
You're talking about a 4-month window.

Really??? 17 week regular season. 4 weeks of preseason. 6 weeks of postseason. The combine, the draft.
Yes there are gaps in there but that is almost 10 months of football. 6 months are actual games. But the NFL if not careful going forward could easy over saturate the market.

Chief Roundup 03-24-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10512944)
I'm not an old bastard like all you other ****ers so I don't know (:D), but didn't the strike pretty much kill baseballs popularity?

Yes they had a direct affect on many fans. I know a lot went back. I like others still have not recovered the true fanatical feeling for baseball.

greatgooglymoogly 03-24-2014 09:16 AM

Quote:

IDK, I was a toddler back then.

GordonGekko 03-24-2014 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatgooglymoogly (Post 10512932)

Soccer? Lol, maybe one day.

Baseball for most under the age of 35 is a dead sport it seems. I don't know anyone that watches baseball under that age unless it is post season or they are in an airport or sports bar somewhere.

BryanBusby 03-24-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

It certainly did until the steroid fueled home run derby era pulled people back in.

blaise 03-24-2014 09:23 AM

Baseball still draws a lot of fans and make tons of money. There's a reason players are getting $25 million a year.

J Diddy 03-24-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 10512985)
It certainly did until the steroid fueled home run derby era pulled people back in.

The subsequent witch hunt turned me away. Sometimes it's not better to know certain things.

loochy 03-24-2014 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 10512910)
Nope. In fact, he produced the most net worth and cash liquid application for the Houston franchise. He thought about filing a law suit against the NFL when it was rejected, but he knew he would lose so he decided to call it a day and walk away.

He tried to buy the Cubs too, same result

htismaqe 03-24-2014 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 10512985)

Exactly.

TEX 03-24-2014 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 10512995)
He tried to buy the Cubs too, same result

Yep, and the Astros...:hmmm:

BigMeatballDave 03-24-2014 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 10512961)
Really??? 17 week regular season. 4 weeks of preseason. 6 weeks of postseason. The combine, the draft.
Yes there are gaps in there but that is almost 10 months of football. 6 months are actual games. But the NFL if not careful going forward could easy over saturate the market.

REGULAR SEASON.

September thru December.

alnorth 03-24-2014 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Bull (Post 10512994)
The subsequent witch hunt turned me away. Sometimes it's not better to know certain things.

You are an odd outlier. MLB's popularity has not dipped at all, the fans have pretty much declared with their wallets that they don't really give a damn about the PED controversies.

alnorth 03-24-2014 10:01 AM

Regarding the OP, Mark Cuban's statement is self-serving, utterly ridiculous, and will not come close to panning out.

A few people who have their own agendas (unhappy with this or that rule, usually) have jumped on it, but there is no rational reason to believe that the NFL, even with the expansion into more days, is anywhere close to saturation. If anything, the market will probably easily absorb an 18-game season if the owners ever went that far.

J Diddy 03-24-2014 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10513058)
You are an odd outlier. MLB's popularity has not dipped at all, the fans have pretty much declared with their wallets that they don't really give a damn about the PED controversies.

That's fine. I like being an outlier and all.

philfree 03-24-2014 10:06 AM

As last season unfolded I felt like they had it maxed out. What I don't like is starting the season on Thursday with the concerts and the all day party BS. It's to much. I hate the whole London thing to. What a turn off. They've got their league rolling though so they're marketing the hell out of it in an attempt to maximize revenue and profits. They shouldn't be so obvious about it but they've gotten such a big head at this point that they're losing some of their periphery.

GloryDayz 03-24-2014 10:10 AM

I hope he's right! I suspect as they decline they'll right the ship before it goes down.

J Diddy 03-24-2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 10513075)
I hope he's right! I suspect as they decline they'll right the ship before it goes down.

yup

Worked for the Titanic.

Chief Roundup 03-24-2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10513024)
REGULAR SEASON.

September thru December.

Yeah because that is the only time that there is football games on TV.

cosmo20002 03-24-2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 10512686)

On the one hand, Cuban's a smart guy.

On the other hand, he's kind of a blowhard and he owns a team in a league where games are on several nights a week and is essentially a competitor to the NFL in October through January.

Phobia 03-24-2014 10:26 AM

I agree with him. Oversaturation and fantasy football are ruining it for me. I've gone from a season ticket subscriber watching every single game to a casual observer of the Chiefs games and sometimes watching the other games if I'm bored. I also record MNF and watch it in about an hour instead of committing my entire Monday evening to it. I usually don't like recorded sports but I liked adding 2 hours to the end of my day better than I liked watching commercials and dufuses analyzing every play for 3 hours.

htismaqe 03-24-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 10513101)
I agree with him. Oversaturation and fantasy football are ruining it for me. I've gone from a season ticket subscriber watching every single game to a casual observer of the Chiefs games and sometimes watching the other games if I'm bored. I also record MNF and watch it in about an hour instead of committing my entire Monday evening to it. I usually don't like recorded sports but I liked adding 2 hours to the end of my day better than I liked watching commercials and dufuses analyzing every play for 3 hours.

This is where I'm at too.

J Diddy 03-24-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 10513101)

I would agree with you about fantasy football. That concept went from a fun little aspect of the game to taking it over and putting way too much focus on individuals.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-24-2014 10:30 AM

What hurt baseball's popularity wasn't the strike, but the ADD nature of society. Football is an excellent sport for this society, because you only have to pay attention for six seconds at a time, and you always get some kind of outcome. The increase in scoring via the neutering of defenses is just another way to add flashing lights to keep the masses interested.

InChiefsHeaven 03-24-2014 10:30 AM

I basically make it a point to watch the Chiefs. Other games, maybe, but I never stay up late to finish the Monday Night Game, and the Thursday NFL Network games, I don't even bother with them. And I have NFL network!

I dunno if it's the NFL or just me, but I don't care nearly as much as I used to.

DTLB58 03-24-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmya (Post 10512703)
I like it. I can watch football almost every day of the week.

Yep. The NFL is going to keep giving it to us until it shows signs of not working anymore and can you blame them? They just keep making more and more $.
So what if, at some point its to much, then they scale it back a little and boom!

I've heard it said that NFL players lost out because they didn't get to market themselves because of all the gear they wore, well compared to the NBA I think that has helped the NFL. Look what happened when Sherman was able to take off his helmet and show is face and be himself? That's kinda what the public sees all the time from the NBA players and right now except for an elusive few the NBA isn't doing so well.
If I were Cuban I would stick to trying to figure out how to fix his league.
Well, he probably does have ideas, but the rest of the owners and commish aren't going to let him do any of them cause he is such a smart ass. Like the D league idea, which I think is good.

The only time right now I see it where the NBA is #1 in sports is maybe May because of the Playoffs and the first part of June for the Finals.

DTLB58 03-24-2014 10:35 AM

Quote:

That let in Shahid "Shad" Khan?
We aren't talking about the 60's anymore with the NFL and AFL.

DTLB58 03-24-2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

I agree, NO EUROPE!!!!!

Eleazar 03-24-2014 10:37 AM

I tend to agree with him. I don't want the NFL to be in every night of the week. The Thursday games are usually garbage anyway.

Eleazar 03-24-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTLB58 (Post 10513118)
That let in Shahid "Shad" Khan?

We aren't talking about the 60's anymore with the NFL and AFL.

Khan is an American, same as you.

BigMeatballDave 03-24-2014 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 10513088)
Yeah because that is the only time that there is football games on TV.

Nevermind. You missed my point.

MahiMike 03-24-2014 10:59 AM

The NFL is already a bubble waiting to pop. Shad Khan paid 300% more than the previous owner just 15 years ago. In Jax!

houstonwhodat 03-24-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 10512841)
Only having enough money for an NBA franchise doesn't really mean you're not smart.

He should buy the Browns.

They should be on sale for about 19.95 by now.

BigMeatballDave 03-24-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 10513176)
The NFL is already a bubble waiting to pop. Shad Khan paid 300% more than the previous owner just 15 years ago. In Jax!

Hardly.

Ratings keep going up.

Until that changes, the league will continue trying to expand its market.

cosmo20002 03-24-2014 11:14 AM

I don't get the bitching about MNF and fantasy football.
MNF has been on for 45 years. If you don't feel like watching it anymore or don't want to stay up that late, then don't.

There's been Sunday night games for 25 years. So Thursday night has been the only real semi-recent expansion. I think it is a bit unfair for the teams to have such a short week, but no one is forcing me to watch.

I understand not wanting to participate in fantasy football, but I don't understand how its existence makes anyone less interested in football or to like it any less.

Most of the complaining seems to be of the 'grumpy old man' variety. It's not exactly how it used to be, so you don't like it.

Demonpenz 03-24-2014 11:38 AM

The death rattle for NFL is going to come when sarah mclachlan on a commercial for brain damaged nfl players.