ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ****Official 2014 STL Cardinals thread **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278302)

DJ's left nut 11-22-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Polo (Post 10212292)
This could also mean Taveras in RF, Craig at 1B, leaving Adams as a trade chip for SS such as Andrus or Hardy?

I doubt the Rangers have a use for Adams at this point.

And Adams for Hardy would be an absolute reaming.

I think this means Taveras isn't on the big club next year until July at the earliest. This isn't an organization that rushes its prospects into starting roles - it never has been. Craig, Carpenter, Wacha, Adams, Jay, even Molina, Miller and others - they've all had a month or more as a major league apprenticeship.

The Cardinals don't give rookies starting jobs. Pujols is the last guy I remember that went to camp and flat took a starting gig away from someone. Everyone else either builds towards it the season before or earns it as the season progresses.

I've always liked the way the Cardinals handle the young guys in that regard.

BigRedChief 11-22-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10212005)
So they can alternate Trumbo and Pujols at first and DH.

I don't understand why the Cardinals wouldn't float Kelly+Freese for Aybar and Bourjos.

Supposedly did but the Angels insisted on Miller for Aybar.

BigRedChief 11-22-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10212108)
It needed to happen, but trading Freese still makes a part of me sad.

I know but what if he would have stayed and sucked like he did last year? At least now he can still live in 2011 Cardinals lore. Fans will still love the guy for 2011 and the 2012/2013 bad season memories will fade away.

I hope he turns it around in LA.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-23-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 10212950)
I know but what if he would have stayed and sucked like he did last year? At least now he can still live in 2011 Cardinals lore. Fans will still love the guy for 2011 and the 2012/2013 bad season memories will fade away.

I hope he turns it around in LA.

He was great in 2012. Freese's biggest issue was his inability to stay healthy, which caused him to age in dog years. He's going to go somewhere where he can still play every day, so he has a chance to make a little bank before it's all done. He handled his demotion really well last year. I hope the guy stays healthy and hits another 100 HR, but I highly doubt that happens.

BigRedChief 11-23-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10213033)
He was great in 2012. Freese's biggest issue was his inability to stay healthy, which caused him to age in dog years. He's going to go somewhere where he can still play every day, so he has a chance to make a little bank before it's all done. He handled his demotion really well last year. I hope the guy stays healthy and hits another 100 HR, but I highly doubt that happens.

I disagree with your assesment of Freese's performance in 2012 but whatever, doesn't matter.

Freese was responsible for one of any Cardinal fans best memories evah. One of the best WS baseball games evah. I still can't believe what I saw. I'd love to meet him someday and thank him.

ShowtimeSBMVP 11-23-2013 06:05 PM

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 2m
Free agent Jhonny Peralta closing in on a deal with #STLcards, source confirms.

OnTheWarpath15 11-23-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 10214242)
Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 2m
Free agent Jhonny Peralta closing in on a deal with #STLcards, source confirms.

Peralta is Dominican for "plays when the **** he wants to".

Dude wants 5/$75. We can't be that ****ing stupid.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-23-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10214260)

Cano wants $300 million. Do you think either are getting anywhere near that?

ShowtimeSBMVP 11-23-2013 07:27 PM

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 36s
A team that offered $52M for 4 yrs for peralta was told they're not even in game. will be fascinating how high it goes.

WOW

Mi_chief_fan 11-23-2013 08:30 PM

I'm hearing also that trade demands for young SS were ridiculously highly, everyone was asking for Miller, Wacha, Rosenthal, etc. I'd rather overpay a FA than part with a few of them. And at least he can hit.

BigRedChief 11-24-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10214260)

We do have a lot of money coming off the books and there is more TV money coming in. He does have a 4.6 WAR or something like that level, correct?

Crasnick of ESPN says the Cardinals and Perolta are closing in on a deal.
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...ing-in-on-deal

I guees I'd rather pay money than give up one of these Miller/Martinez/Rosenthal to get Hardy etc.

At least the Cardinals are not waiting around for these clubs trade demands to get realistic.

Anyone is going to be better than Kozma.

whoman69 11-24-2013 08:24 AM

Ridiculous how a lack of quality at short has made the market for a player coming off a suspension for PEDs who is a career .268/.330/.425 hitter that averages 136 Ks per 162. That said, he's a big jump over Kozma.

VAChief 11-24-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 10215655)
Ridiculous how a lack of quality at short has made the market for a player coming off a suspension for PEDs who is a career .268/.330/.425 hitter that averages 136 Ks per 162. That said, he's a big jump over Kozma.

Yes, but Drew is going to go higher and another left handed hitting infielder is not what we needed to upgrade SS, especially at Boras prices. It likely is going to be less than what we would have paid Andrus (plus we get to keep the prospects).

He should add more consistent offense than Freese, which means Wong only needs to hit better than Kosma for the infield to come out ahead. It will be interesting to see how the OF rotation shakes out if they decide to keep Adams.

Marcellus 11-24-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 10214478)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 36s
A team that offered $52M for 4 yrs for peralta was told they're not even in game. will be fascinating how high it goes.

WOW

Update I just got said that was the deal the Cards were close to closing.

VAChief 11-24-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 10215970)
Update I just got said that was the deal the Cards were close to closing.

According to this link deal around 52mil for 4years. I can live with that considering the alternatives.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10...2-million-deal