ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV MACHETE! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=232776)

Deberg_1990 09-01-2010 10:41 AM

Death Proof has grown on me. Its still too talky with way too much girl chit chat.....

But Kurt Russel is da man, and that car chase at the end rules. Oh, the girls are hot too.

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-01-2010 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 6969141)
I initially felt that way about Inglorious Basterds due to the subtitles. I watched it again and loved it.

Now THAT I loved.

Jenson71 09-01-2010 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6969121)
Yeah, it was a fake trailer, along with WereWomen and Thanksgiving.

I don't have any idea why he felt the need to point out that it was fake, considering everyone that saw the film in its entirety knew they were fake trailers and thus part of the entire film called "Grindhouse".

I feel argumentative (along with my usual liking of KcMizzou). KcMizzou obviously felt the need to point out that it was "fake" because two people immediately before him were uncertain about it. However, even if there hadn't been those immediate posts, KcMizzou's information would still have been interesting to the many people who have not seen Grindhouse in their entirety.

Quote:

"Fake" really isn't the correct terminology. They were trailers created by filmmakers to give Grindhouse the full effect of seeing a film in the 70's.
Fake is a fine term for it, because [authentic] trailers necessarily correspond to an authentic movie. When a _____ trailer corresponds to a non-authentic movie, the trailer is necessarily a non-authentic trailer. And another way of saying non-authentic is . . . fake.

Reaper16 09-01-2010 03:45 PM

Basically, Dane and KCMizzou are saying the exact same things.

Also, IMO Death Proof > Planet Terror.

Demonpenz 09-01-2010 03:56 PM

You're not Wrong dane, your just an asshole / The dude

Radar Chief 09-01-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 6969141)
I initially felt that way about Inglorious Basterds due to the subtitles. I watched it again and loved it.

From the ads I expected Inglorious Bastards to be a mindless bloodbath, which I’m actually fine with, but was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to have more depth than that.

Radar Chief 09-01-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6969851)

Oh, most definitely.
Of course I’m a gearhead so any flick with hot chicks and ending in a big car chase is going to win me over every time.

Tribal Warfare 09-01-2010 03:59 PM

MAN MOVIES are making a comeback!

DaneMcCloud 09-01-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Basically, Dane and KCMizzou are saying the exact same things.

Yeah, I didn't mean to come across as a dick, so my apologies to everyone if I did.

I didn't specify "fake" or "faux" in my original post because I didn't realize it was necessary to do so.

But back to the Grindhouse, I thought it was brilliant from start to finish. From Planet Terror to Machete to Thanksgiving to WereWomen of the SS to Death Proof, it was ****ing awesome.

Some people I spoke to about the film thought they went overboard in post-production with the scratchiness, film-skipping, audio dropouts, lines, etc. but personally, I thought it captured the spirit and essence of 70's Drive-In movie theaters perfectly and really dug that aspect of the film.

FWIW, Eli Roth says he'll be working on a feature-length script later this year for Thanksgiving but Rob Zombie has said he's not sure how to make Were Women into a feature film.

Hootie 09-01-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 6969191)
I feel argumentative (along with my usual liking of KcMizzou). KcMizzou obviously felt the need to point out that it was "fake" because two people immediately before him were uncertain about it. However, even if there hadn't been those immediate posts, KcMizzou's information would still have been interesting to the many people who have not seen Grindhouse in their entirety.

Fake is a fine term for it, because [authentic] trailers necessarily correspond to an authentic movie. When a _____ trailer corresponds to a non-authentic movie, the trailer is necessarily a non-authentic trailer. And another way of saying non-authentic is . . . fake.

Yeah...I was confused about why Dane chimed in as well...

KcMizzou said exactly what Dane said...

Odd.

DaneMcCloud 09-01-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat Dragon (Post 6969889)
Yeah...I was confused about why Dane chimed in as well...

KcMizzou said exactly what Dane said...

Odd.

Honestly, why I did it was because I had a different take originally, then edited it because I didn't want to piss anyone off.

:D

siberian khatru 09-01-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6969886)

Some people I spoke to about the film thought they went overboard in post-production with the scratchiness, film-skipping, audio dropouts, lines, etc. but personally, I thought it captured the spirit and essence of 70's Drive-In movie theaters perfectly and really dug that aspect of the film.

That was the best part of the movie(s).

I also get off on that "Prevues of Coming Attractions" deal he uses (did the same with "Our Feature Presentation" on "Kill Bill Vol. 1"). Those of us who are old enough remember seeing those exact clips in the theaters back in the day. Made me feel like I was 7 again.

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-01-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 6969917)

I also get off on that "Prevues of Coming Attractions" deal he uses (did the same with "Our Feature Presentation" on "Kill Bill Vol. 1"). Those of us who are old enough remember seeing those exact clips in the theaters back in the day. Made me feel like I was 7 again.

I liked that aspect and I get what he was doing, but the story just sucked.

Deberg_1990 09-01-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 6969917)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6969886)

But back to the Grindhouse, I thought it was brilliant from start to finish. From Planet Terror to Machete to Thanksgiving to WereWomen of the SS to Death Proof, it was ****ing awesome.

FWIW, Eli Roth says he'll be working on a feature-length script later this year for Thanksgiving but Rob Zombie has said he's not sure how to make Were Women into a feature film.

Yea, i think this is most likely why it flopped to be honest. The general public just didnt get it.

There are not many people out there that get the 60's/70s/80s B movie aesthetic, and are willing to pay good money to relive it. LOL

BigMeatballDave 09-01-2010 07:29 PM

Quote:

This. I loved both, but DP was a tad better.