ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Teicher:Prodded by Andy Reid, Chiefs QB Alex Smith learning to be more aggressive (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273618)

Rasputin 06-25-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9774298)
weren't you one of the "tyler bray is going in the first" advocators ?

A lot of NFL pundits think the Jets made a poor choice taking GS that early. I was one of the guys on this board calling for the team to go with BA and take GS 1.1, BUT I also acknowledged this was going to be a big reach because I felt GS was no better than a 2nd round QB talent and since the Chiefs had no 2nd, I'd be okay with getting him 1.1... The lacking talent at the top of this draft was another reason I was for it.

I'd still like to see Reid paired with GS here, it can still happen -- I have little faith he will stick in jetsville. the fans/media are going to roast him and the team will either trade or cut sometime after a season or two.

I had never said anything about Tyler Bray. I'm not that familiar with him so I try not talk about him much. I can't tell you if he is better than Stanzi or not, but I am looking forward to preseason to find out.

keg in kc 06-25-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9774302)
Geno Smith isn't Drew Brees.

You're making an assumption based on a personal bias. You can't possibly know at this point what Geno Smith will be. As big a fan as I was, I don't know what Geno Smith will be at this point, either.

The rest of what you said...
Quote:

Brees fell because of his height and that he came from the spread (and if you'll recall, I was a very vocal proponent of Brees).

Smith had no such concerns. His questions stemmed from his lack of maturity and decision making on the field. To date, he hasn't done anything to squelch those concerns.
... is irrelevant because the point I was making is that a player's value will ultimately stem from what he does on the field, not because of what you, me or anybody else thinks about him before, during or the summer after the draft.

And the point remains, that regardless of why he fell, Drew Brees fell. So the NFL was wrong.

(Personally, I think Geno Smith will end up doing nothing because he went to what I believe was the worst possible place for him to go. But in the end, only time will tell...)

DaneMcCloud 06-25-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 9774134)
How the **** is that dumb, you asshat? It's the truth. Alex Smith isn't going to do a GODDAMN THING in terms of getting this franchise to a Super Bowl.
I swear, you live in a ****ing fantasy world where Alex Smith is a legit first-rounder and Reid is still a top coach in this league. It's ****ing embarrasing, Dane.

Please....STOP.

Ah, ah, ah......STOP.

Please point out where I advocated for Alex Smith or stated he'd win a Super Bowl.

Asshat.

Oh, and my sperm are smarter than you.

bsp4444 06-25-2013 10:36 AM

I see the girls are still arguing over who is prettier.

DaneMcCloud 06-25-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsp4444 (Post 9774317)
I see the girls are still arguing over who is prettier.

That would actually be the Fitness thread

:D

Rasputin 06-25-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9774315)
Please point out where I advocated for Alex Smith or stated he'd win a Super Bowl.

Asshat.

Oh, and my sperm are smarter than you.

Who did you want the Chiefs to get for our QBotf?

DaneMcCloud 06-25-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9774344)
Who did you want the Chiefs to get for our QBotf?

No one in this draft.

I mentioned on several occasions that Tyler Bray had the best upside but that he wouldn't be around in the later rounds.

I was wrong. He went undratfed. And signed with the Chiefs.

Rasputin 06-25-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9774374)
No one in this draft.

I mentioned on several occasions that Tyler Bray had the best upside but that he wouldn't be around in the later rounds.

I was wrong. He went undratfed. And signed with the Chiefs.

Then who? That is what I am asking. Who could we have got you wanted other than Alex Smith or draft pick?

BossChief 06-25-2013 11:13 AM

Let me say this about the Alex Smith trade...

Players arent signed or traded for based on what they have done rather what they can do for you in the future. Andy Reid knows more about QBs than ANYONE ON THIS SITE and sees SOMETHING in Alex that he thinks he can work with.

Alexs 2011 season was ok and last year he was on pace for over 25 touchdown passes before the concussion...while not turning the ball over and completing 70% of his passes.

If Andy can keep Alex progressing at a similar rate as he has the last two seasons, we may have gotten a steal.

If he cant, we will be in position to draft his replacement in the next two drafts.

Rasputin 06-25-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9774389)
Let me say this about the Alex Smith trade...

Players arent signed or traded for based on what they have done rather what they can do for you in the future. Andy Reid knows more about QBs than ANYONE ON THIS SITE and sees SOMETHING in Alex that he thinks he can work with.

Alexs 2011 season was ok and last year he was on pace for over 25 touchdown passes before the concussion...while not turning the ball over and completing 70% of his passes.

If Andy can keep Alex progressing at a similar rate as he has the last two seasons, we may have gotten a steal.

If he cant, we will be in position to draft his replacement in the next two drafts.

If they brought in Alex Smith as a stop gap QB I wouldn't be near as upset. They gave up a second round and could give up a second round in next years draft. That is not a stop gap quarterback. I don't give a shit what Andy Reid sees in Alex Smith, he couldn't keep Mike Vick from being turnover machine or healthy & on the field. The only great success Andy Reid has had was with Donovan McNabb.

I can get over this Alex Smith shit if we draft a QB with our first pick in next years draft. Reality is that we wont.

DaneMcCloud 06-25-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9774313)
You're making an assumption based on a personal bias. You can't possibly know at this point what Geno Smith will be. As big a fan as I was, I don't know what Geno Smith will be at this point, either.

The point is that Smith and Brees couldn't be more different in terms of personality.

I do not know what Geno Smith will become but other than sliding into the second round, the parallels end there for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keginkc
The rest of what you said...... is irrelevant because the point I was making is that a player's value will ultimately stem from what he does on the field, not because of what you, me or anybody else thinks about him before, during or the summer after the draft.

I think it's relevant.

These guys have been more scrutinized than suspected terrorist are by the NSA. They undergo massive physical and psychological examinations. They are poked and prodded to see how they react.

I didn't see E.J. Manual at Florida State but I saw him in the Senior Bowl. I watched interviews with him pre and post draft. I have no idea how he'll perform in the NFL but what I saw and heard was a smart, confident young man and leader. He'd been tested in college and by his mother's illness. He made me a believer in his ability to lead.

Geno Smith was nearly the exact opposite. Mopey, dopey and lacking confidence and more importantly, charisma. His actions at the draft and post draft have proven that the red flags raised prior to the draft weren't far off the mark.

This isn't to say that he won't become a good starting NFL QB, but with all of his question marks, he wasn't deemed worthy of a first round draft choice, let alone 1.1.

And if he can't overcome the adversity in New York, he probably wouldn't survive anywhere. Being starting NFL QB is a difficult task in any city.

Just ask Brees, Rivers, Romo, Rothlisbeteger and even Flacco.

Quote:

And the point remains, that regardless of why he fell, Drew Brees fell. So the NFL was wrong.

I'd have to go back to the 2001 draft but IIRC, there were very few teams in need of a starting QB. The most egregious mistake was of course made by the Chiefs. But talent evaluators definitely missed.

But those misses are becoming rarer with each year.

Quote:

(Personally, I think Geno Smith will end up doing nothing because he went to what I believe was the worst possible place for him to go. But in the end, only time will tell...)

If you can make it in New York City, you can make it anywhere. But I agree that it's probably a worst-case scenario for him, which IMO, only further enhances the fact that he's not a bonafide Franchise QB that should have been selected #1 overall.

His best landing spot would have been cities like Tampa, Jacksonville and Phoenix, cities without a passionate, die hard fan base.

IMO, he would have been a disaster in KC, especially with the Jay-Z deal. The guy would have been talk show fodder for months before he even stepped on the field and sitting him would have only made matters worse.

DaneMcCloud 06-25-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9774376)
Then who? That is what I am asking. Who could we have got you wanted other than Alex Smith or draft pick?

Alex Smith was the best QB available, period.

Rasputin 06-25-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9774430)
Alex Smith was the best QB available, period.

In this case I disagree just because the potential in some draft prospects even in this weak class is > than Alex Smith. I would have been happy with getting Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, or E.J. Manuel with a first or second round draft pick.

Still keep our picks for next year & take a close look at this years prospects to see if we can get another prospect that we can build a future around. Creating a real quarterback competition and see who can win out and go with. It sure the **** wouldn't hurt us any & have better chance for something long term.

Chris Meck 06-25-2013 11:40 AM

Carl Peterson did not believe in drafting a starting QB. Pioli believed he could turn Cassel into Tom Brady.

Both are gone.

Reid and Dorsey saw nobody that interested them in this draft and so took the best available fit for their offense.

That is all that has happened. To draw more conclusions from what has happened so far is silly.

DaneMcCloud 06-25-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9774442)
In this case I disagree just because the potential in some draft prospects even in this weak class is > than Alex Smith.

Based on what, exactly? For the record, EVERYONE that actually WORKS in the NFL or was a media member and on-air talent evaluator, disagreed.

Quote:

I would have been happy with getting Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, or E.J. Manuel with a first or second round draft pick.

Good God.

:facepalm:

Matt Barkley fell to the fourth. Tyler Wilson fell to the Fourth. E.J. Manuel went in the first round. Your "happiness" would have meant overdrafting (and in the case of Manual, not even available).

Quote:

Still keep our picks for next year & take a close look at this years prospects to see if we can get another prospect that we can build a future around. Creating a real quarterback competition and see who can win out and go with. It sure the **** wouldn't hurt us any & have better chance for something long term.

You cannot create a QB competition in which there is no competition. You have admitted repeatedly that Geno Smith, if he were to be drafted, should sit on the bench and "learn".

So, if he's sitting on the bench, what type of "competition" is he providing?