ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science Weed Eater String (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=330168)

Mr_Tomahawk 03-25-2020 09:01 PM

Weed Eater String

‘Tis then season.

What is your go-to weed eater string? I get so tired of replacing line... I need to try something else.

Bewbies 03-25-2020 09:09 PM

I like gummies, but had some hard candy in Boston that was nearly perfect.

Wait, I missed string there...

srvy 03-25-2020 09:33 PM

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/c51...d&odnBg=ffffff

bringbackmarty 03-25-2020 09:38 PM

I went with an aftermarket head with my Ryobi cordless. Snip 3 10" sections of coated braided or twizzler style plastic line and feed them through the guides. Lasts a couple of uses, then snip 3 more. Takes less than a minute to reload.

bringbackmarty 03-25-2020 09:43 PM

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tool...xoCGAEQAvD_BwE

bringbackmarty 03-25-2020 09:45 PM

Quickest respool with tons of power, dandelions and small trees up to 3/8 of an inch gonna die. Edges your sidewalk nice too.

SupDock 03-25-2020 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 14868221)
I like gummies, but had some hard candy in Boston that was nearly perfect.

Wait, I missed string there...

Who is going to make the "Weed - Easter Strain" thread?

Buehler445 03-25-2020 09:58 PM

I bought an echo weed eater a few years ago. I bought a head that you precut lines and then push them through the hole rather than winding the bitch. It appealed to me because if something fails it’s that goddamned head won’t let string out.

Now. This is not better. It’s a comparative pain in the ass. BUT. I learned something. I took off the guard with the cutter on it because we aren’t cutting this shit any shorter. **** you. Then I started making these things super long. Well that takes a ton of power and the head can’t spin very fast. That works really good with my yard grass because slow RPM could cut it but would just bend around whatever I hit rather than getting enough force to break it.

So the end result is easy on the throttle and save the string. I can do my whole yard including next to the neighbors chain link on one precut set of string if I slow down and take my time. Which ends up being quicker than stopping and putting another string in. My wife blows through like 3 sets.

All that said, the echo x shaped orange string is good. Spendy but good.

Bugeater 03-25-2020 10:08 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Weed-Warrior-...s%2C173&sr=8-7

Bugeater 03-25-2020 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14868338)
I bought an echo weed eater a few years ago. I bought a head that you precut lines and then push them through the hole rather than winding the bitch. It appealed to me because if something fails it’s that goddamned head won’t let string out.

Now. This is not better. It’s a comparative pain in the ass. BUT. I learned something. I took off the guard with the cutter on it because we aren’t cutting this shit any shorter. **** you. Then I started making these things super long. Well that takes a ton of power and the head can’t spin very fast. That works really good with my yard grass because slow RPM could cut it but would just bend around whatever I hit rather than getting enough force to break it.

So the end result is easy on the throttle and save the string. I can do my whole yard including next to the neighbors chain link on one precut set of string if I slow down and take my time. Which ends up being quicker than stopping and putting another string in. My wife blows through like 3 sets.

All that said, the echo x shaped orange string is good. Spendy but good.

I had an Echo trimmer with that pull through line and I liked it. Only negative I found with it is when the lines are used up, you can't get the little pieces left out of it by hand, so I'd always carry a set of pliers with me. But it beat the hell out of winding those ****ing spools and having them constantly tangle up.

scho63 03-25-2020 10:21 PM

A buddy who has owned a landscaping company for 40 years first started by his Dad uses wire instead of string. Says it have saved him thousands

Bugeater 03-25-2020 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 14868369)
A buddy who has owned a landscaping company for 40 years first started by his Dad uses wire instead of string. Says it have saved him thousands

LMAO I did try electrical wire at one point and things went haywire somehow along the chain link fence. Don't recall exactly what happened but I concluded there were irreconcilable differences between the two and gave up on the idea.

Buehler445 03-25-2020 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 14868361)
I had an Echo trimmer with that pull through line and I liked it. Only negative I found with it is when the lines are used up, you can't get the little pieces left out of it by hand, so I'd always carry a set of pliers with me. But it beat the hell out of winding those ****ing spools and having them constantly tangle up.

Push it through farther. On mine if I can get my fingers solidly on them I can pull them out. I have needle noses with the string to clip it but just push that bitch through farther.

Maybe it would be better if I precut a bunch of pieces and carried them in a pocket or something but I hate yard work so much that shit isn’t happening.

Buehler445 03-25-2020 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 14868406)
LMAO I did try electrical wire at one point and things went haywire somehow along the chain link fence. Don't recall exactly what happened but I concluded there were irreconcilable differences between the two and gave up on the idea.

Irreconcilable differences. ROFL.

Bugeater 03-25-2020 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14868423)
Push it through farther. On mine if I can get my fingers solidly on them I can pull them out. I have needle noses with the string to clip it but just push that bitch through farther.

Maybe it would be better if I precut a bunch of pieces and carried them in a pocket or something but I hate yard work so much that shit isn’t happening.

Heh, not sure why I never did that but you're right probably no reason you couldn't leave even a couple inches extra sticking through the center. But I did do the precut thing and carried several extra with me and it was no big deal to grab the pliers as well, because I never made it all the way through the whole yard at my old place without having to change the lines at least once.

But it's all moot now because the Echo crapped out on me last fall, and since I have a waaaay smaller yard now I'm going with a corded electric.