ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Jamaal who? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=302052)

GloryDayz 09-10-2016 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 12414905)
Honestly, both Priest Holmes and Jamaal Charles put up great regular season stats, but they prove that having a franchise RB is overrated since the Chiefs didn't win shit with either RB.

Meanwhile the Patriots have won four Super Bowls during the past 15 years with a rotating cast of mostly nondescript RB's.

There is a lot of truth in this. Between cycling through non-star players (outside of a star QB) who know that they either perform or they're gone (and being creative with the rules too), the Pats have shown one way to succeed.

FloridaMan88 09-10-2016 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12414938)
No, it proves that you can't have a team super talented on one side of the ball and super terrible on the other.

It also proves that you need a solid QB to win...

Yes and it also proves you don't need a great or even a solid RB to win a Super Bowl.

Baby Lee 09-10-2016 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 12414944)
Yes and it also proves you don't need a great or even a solid RB to win a Super Bowl.

Counterpoint, Elway's SB fortunes as a QB.

Rausch 09-10-2016 09:57 AM

Quote:

You definitely need a solid HB to win.

Name me a SB team with a bottom 10 rushing attack...

DaneMcCloud 09-10-2016 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 12414925)
Teams like the Patriots, Giants, Steelers who have won multiple Super Bowl's recently don't invest heavily in RB's and don't make a franchise RB the focal point of their offense the way the Chiefs have.

The Steelers gave up multiple picks for Jerome Bettis, spent their 2008 1st rounder on Rashard Mendenhall and a 2nd round pick on Le'Veon Bell in 2013

Rausch 09-10-2016 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12414962)
The Steelers gave up multiple picks for Jerome Bettis, spent their 2008 1st rounder on Rashard Mendenhall and a 2nd round pick on Le'Veon Bell in 2013

You don't need to spend on a HB but you definitely need to have a solid rushing game...

patteeu 09-10-2016 10:09 AM

Quote:

There are multiple ways to win a Super Bowl. Most SB winners have a good RB.

Rausch 09-10-2016 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 12414975)

The only team I can think of that has won without a solid HB is the Pats...

ThaVirus 09-10-2016 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 12414750)
I don't think that Priest did have the edge in patience.
A runner's patience requires confidence in the line's ability to create holes.
Priest could afford that patience.
Jamaal, his entire career, has had to hit the first seam that he sees.
One of the things I loved about the pick when the Chiefs selected him was the patience he displayed running behind a good line at Texas.

On the other side, I don't think that Jamaal is nearly the pass catcher that Priest was.
Jamaal's hands aren't nearly as reliable.

The point about patience is one I thought about mentioning but decided not to. Jamaal hasn't been afforded the opportunity to showcase any patience with these crap OLs. But since Priest wasn't particularly big, strong or fast and still managed to produce at an elite level for 3-4 years I figured I'd just be generous and give him the edge there.

Priest had better hands for sure but I'd label them even due to Jamaal's big-play ability and utility. You can line Jamaal up at WR if you wanted to and he could make a hell of a living- I'm not sure you could do the same for Priest on a consistent basis.

FloridaMan88 09-10-2016 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12414962)

When Pittsburgh won their Super Bowl in 2006, their leading rusher was not Jerome Bettis... it was undrafted free agent Willie Parker.

When Pittsburgh won their Super Bowl in 2009, their leading rusher was again Willie Parker, with less than 800 rushing yards for the season. Their second leading rusher that season was Mewelde Moore

FloridaMan88 09-10-2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 12414975)

Look at the leading rushers on Super Bowl winning teams since 2000, it is not exactly a Mount Rushmore of RB's.

It is the likes of Willie Parker, Brandon Jacobs, Antowain Smith, Ahmad Bradshaw, Michael Pittman, and Brandon Jackson.

FloridaMan88 09-10-2016 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12414978)
The only team I can think of that has won without a solid HB is the Pats...

Denver won a Super Bowl last year with Ronnie Hillman as their leading rusher for the season.

That would be the same Ronnie Hillman who was released by Denver last week.

DaneMcCloud 09-10-2016 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 12415139)
When Pittsburgh won their Super Bowl in 2006, their leading rusher was not Jerome Bettis... it was undrafted free agent Willie Parker.

When Pittsburgh won their Super Bowl in 2009, their leading rusher was again Willie Parker, with less than 800 rushing yards for the season. Their second leading rusher that season was Mewelde Moore

So how, in any way, does that contradict what you said?

You said the Steelers don't heavily invest in running backs "like the Chiefs".

Well, they "heavily invested" in Bettis, spent a 1st on Mendenhall and 2nd on Bell.

Since 1997, the Chiefs have spent a first round pick on one running back (Larry Johnson in 2003) and currently have a 3rd rounder wrapped up in Charles and Davis (which was a Comp pick at the end of the round).

That's not "heavily invested".

Simply Red 09-10-2016 01:31 PM

For he has been caking, partner.