ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Brown or Fish? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=340465)

bricks 10-25-2021 08:23 AM

Brown or Fish?

I thought I’d pose this question for the Chiefs left tackle position because I’m curious to know your opinions and how you feel who is the better player for the Chiefs when comparing those two players.

I’m disappointed in Orlando Brown so far. He hasn’t been playing up to expectations. No way is he an elite left tackle at least I say this for now because of the way he is playing. Some games he is getting beat like crazy.

Fisher on the other hand, when he was with us was a solid player. I don’t consider Fishers performance to be that of a #1 overall pick like Orlando Pace and he never will be that guy. Yeah he got beat a good handful of games but overall generally speaking he was solid.

What say you? Is there much of a difference between Fishers play in the past compared to Orlando Browns play today? Which performance was better Fisher past performance at LT or Orlando Browns play at LT right now? I don’t know
if I see much of a difference and so I thought I’d ask.

Maybe Fish’s performance in the past might be better?

Simply Red 10-25-2021 08:25 AM

we shouldn't feel like there are years before we can make it back to the dance, but I feel like that's how we all feel right now. But yeah, sorry to dilute the thread. :(

FlaChief58 10-25-2021 08:25 AM

Well, Brown is definitely not living up to his billing. Not saying that he can't be coached up, but currently I'd rather have Fish.

Sofa King 10-25-2021 08:30 AM

Would clearly rather have Brown at this stage in their careers.

Browns problem is his weight. He's a frumpy looking dude for his size. If he would lose some weight I think that would help tremendously with this speed rushers around the edge. He doesn't need to be 360 or whatever he's listed at. (says 344 but even that seems low)

lcarus 10-25-2021 08:32 AM

Brown was awful yesterday. I know that. Overall it's been a mish mash of results. This is basically a brand new offensive line with a lot of really young guys. People overlook that a bit. When Mahomes emerged, this offensive line was basically a well oiled machine with very good veteran bookend tackles. We didn't have a problem with him dropping back and doing whatever he wanted. It's just gonna take some time. It might fail or it might smooth out. The good news is we haven't signed Brown long term so if he continues to suck we can find someone else next year.

penguinz 10-25-2021 08:33 AM

Browns biggest issue is his feet. He does not have the footwork or the foot speed to adjust quickly if the rusher does not take the expected, direct route.

With the way Mahomes tends to drop much further back in the pocket Fish was a better option because he had better footwork and faster feet.

louie aguiar 10-25-2021 08:35 AM

Probably Fish right now although neither are the long-term answer at LT. If we had kept Fisher we wouldn't have had to give up valuable draft capital to acquire Brown. Orlando Brown is not athletic enough to play LT in this offense. That's not going to get better as he ages. I would not give him a contract extension.

TimeForWasp 10-25-2021 08:35 AM

wasn't his dad a Huge man. I'm not sure he has grown to full size yet.

bricks 10-25-2021 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 15913212)
Browns biggest issue is his feet. He does not have the footwork or the foot speed to adjust quickly if the rusher does not take the expected, direct route.

With the way Mahomes tends to drop much further back in the pocket Fish was a better option because he had better footwork and faster feet.

That’s a good take. Thank you.

Who do think has the better hands?

penguinz 10-25-2021 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricks (Post 15913227)
That’s a good take. Thank you.

Who do think has the better hands?

Hands don't matter if your footwork sucks and you are out of position.

DJ's left nut 10-25-2021 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricks (Post 15913190)
Maybe Fish’s performance in the past might be better?

I've said it from the start - a healthy version of Fisher was almost certainly better than Brown will be for us. Brown's just a different kind of player and not an ideal fit here.

But that version of Fish wasn't available. Guy got hurt. And you can see he's still not healthy in Indy.

Fisher was criminally underrated by most here. He was a very good player and damn near perfect fit for this team. Brown is probably a good player, but nowhere near as good a fit.

But he was also probably as good an option as we had available to us in 2021. It just is what it is. The injury to Fisher combined with Schwartz's back problems just couldn't have been anticipated and they happened at one time. A Remmers/Niang/Brown trio is about as good as could've been expected given that Pro Bowl bookends of the OL collapsed simultaneously.

bricks 10-25-2021 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louie aguiar (Post 15913218)
Probably Fish right now although neither are the long-term answer at LT. If we had kept Fisher we wouldn't have had to give up valuable draft capital to acquire Brown. Orlando Brown is not athletic enough to play LT in this offense. That's not going to get better as he ages. I would not give him a contract extension.

And this is the part that’s hard to swallow.

If Browns play is either worse, similar to Fish or if they were simply better off with keeping Fish and keeping draft picks that just hurts knowing that they gave up all that capital for a player who was expected to be an improvement but clearly has not been that.

Not a good situation for a team that could use those draft picks to help rebuild. They may have to rebuild? But of course at the time the Chiefs made the trade they weren’t thinking this. But it’s just interesting to see given the state of this team
now, those draft picks could’ve been savoured, used and possibly handy?

DJ's left nut 10-25-2021 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricks (Post 15913242)
And this is the part that’s hard to swallow.

If Browns play is either worse, similar to Fish or if we were simply better off with keeping Fish and keeping our draft picks that just hurts knowing that we gave up all that capital for a player who was expected to be an improvement but clearly has not been that.

Not a good situation for a team that use those draft picks to help our rebuild. We may have to rebuild? But of course at the time the Chiefs made the trade they weren’t thinking this. But it’s just interesting to see given the state of this team
now, those draft picks could’ve been savoured, used and possibly handy?

This isn't the question asked, though. You're creating a false choice whereby 'keep a healthy Eric Fisher' is an option.

It wasn't. Your options are a compromised Fisher and a 1st (let's say Joe Tryon for the sake of debate) or Brown, Bolton and about $10 million in cap space in 2021.

I think the latter is pretty obviously preferable given Fisher's performance coming off his injury this year. He's just not the same player and there was no reason to expect he would be in 2021.

TimeForWasp 10-25-2021 08:48 AM

Brown has pedigree. He will grow into the job.

DJ's left nut 10-25-2021 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65TPT (Post 15913247)
Brown has pedigree. He will grow into the job.

He has heavy feet. He might not.

But that doesn't mean it wasn't a wholly acceptable risk to have taken.

He was a perfect fit in Baltimore where rushers can't blast upfield because their style and Jackson's speed will take advantage of them. He was in a situation where his weakness was disguised by system and surrounding talent.

That's just not the case here. In Kansas City his weaknesses aren't just exposed, they're highlighted. I'm not sure it's fair to say he'll just 'grow into the job'. There's a fair chance he just won't.