ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Offseason Plan 3.0 - Special Xmas Edition (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=296994)

kccrow 12-28-2015 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11975977)
They've got guys like Williams and Nunez-Roches on the cheap right now. Both have looked good in spot play. DeVito would be a relatively cheap resign and he's been effective this season coming off the achilles injury. I think he's looked pretty good for the most part.

If they wanted another high impact player for the position, I'd look at it early in the draft with someone like Alabama's Jarran Reed or Penn State's Austin Johnson (who I think would be a pretty good fit for this system), but I think it would be unwise to spend a lot of money on Jaye Howard at this point. (Who also has a propensity to commit a lot of unnecessary and untimely penalties.)

Even without Howard, who will probably get a pretty decent contract offer on the FA market, I think that this team is in a relatively good position at the defensive tackle/end position.

With that said, do you advocate retaining Sean Smith and drafting for DE instead? It is a very good year for D-lineman, but also DBs.

RunKC 12-29-2015 03:07 PM

I think that Poe is important for this defense, but I would not be in favor of bringing him back if he wants a huge salary like I expect him to. He's a rare specimen who will want to be paid somewhere in Gerald McCoy's neighborhood IMO.
I know people are saying Poe is better than Howard, but I don't think that's true. Poe is the better pass rusher than Howard, but Howard is a better run stuffer.
I think that Howard is a better pass rusher than Poe is a run stuffer. Obviously we would all love to keep both, but we've already got significant money tied up in Bailey and soon to be Howard (we've already made it a priority to get this done).
Keep in mind that we've shown a penchant for finding good DL (Howard/Williams) and we've also shown a huge amount of development in all of our DL, so could we move forward without spending a ton on a player with back issues?

As for CB, I do want Sean Smith back, but it's probably not gonna happen. This draft class is filled with great talent at CB and I'd like to take one early on pure principle, however I think we'll be forced to take one as a need, as I don't see any real talent in FA that would come at a significantly cheaper price than what Sean Smith will cost.

I think this draft will be all about depth. I think we need depth at these 3 positions more than anything else:

-Speed receiver to replace Avant/backup returner. (Braxton Miller would be great). I want to build this WR core up like the Steelers and Cardinals.
-CB, even if we keep Sean Smith.
-OLB. I don't care if Tamba comes back. We need insurance in case Ford struggles in the future, or another injury occurs in the future.

Nightfyre 12-30-2015 11:14 AM

Is it just me or is Howard good for 1-2 personal fouls a game?

Saccopoo 12-30-2015 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 11986523)
Is it just me or is Howard good for 1-2 personal fouls a game?

Seems like it every freaking game.

Like I said, he's going to have to show more to justify the amount of money people around here think he's worth or are willing to pay him.

kccrow 12-31-2015 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11987640)
Seems like it every freaking game.

Like I said, he's going to have to show more to justify the amount of money people around here think he's worth or are willing to pay him.

The rate I'd consider comfortable would be around 4.5 million per. He's a very good run stuffer and can be a very solid, if not top notch, nose tackle. He's not elite at rushing the passer and he still makes plenty of mental mistakes.

The deciding factor will ultimately be "the market," and where his agent and teams around the league see him fitting relative to it. Some fairly large contracts have been signed the past few years by defensive lineman.

I don't like the 8+ per number I put out in this offseason mock and I really don't even like paying him Bailey money. The more I think about his production and how I'd personally value him, the more I think the Chiefs have to get a deal done under 5.5 million per, and ideally under 5 million per, or they should let him walk.

thabear04 01-05-2016 10:27 PM

Where Hali? You don't have on the roster or walk away.

kccrow 01-06-2016 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thabear04 (Post 12002661)
Where Hali? You don't have on the roster or walk away.

He has void years in his contract to spread the bonus out and he is a free agent after 2015, but I didn't put him on the "let walk" list for two reasons: 1. I expect him to retire, and 2. If he doesn't retire I'd assume he'll sign a one-year, cap-friendly deal with the Chiefs.

kccrow 01-10-2016 05:23 PM

Will update to reflect Desmond King's decision to return to Iowa for his senior season.

kccrow 01-10-2016 06:36 PM

Updates made.

Notable changes:
  • Reduced contract for Jaye Howard to 5.5m per average.
  • Re-signed Jeff Allen at 4.25m per average
  • CB Eli Apple replaces CB Desmond King (returning to Iowa) as Round 1 pick.
  • OT Joe Haeg replaces OT Tyler Marz as draft pick.
  • WR Hunter Sharp replaces OT Clint Van Horn as draft pick.
  • Other picks moved up or down, reflecting changing value

The Franchise 01-11-2016 03:20 PM

Howard is getting more than an average of $5.5 million.