ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Mizzou Basketball (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255770)

Saul Good 02-02-2012 07:18 PM

Mizzou Basketball

MIZ-ZOU

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/999599/dance.gif

petegz28 02-02-2012 07:18 PM

We get blown out Saturday and this thread dies.....got it?

Pants 02-02-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8344378)
We get blown out Saturday and this thread dies.....got it?

You guys are going to destroy us in Paige.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-02-2012 07:21 PM

Stop it. We're supposed to corner the market on being arrogant prick fans.

petegz28 02-02-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8344380)

I wouldn't be shocked if MU loses. KU is a good team and MU is going to have to play some of their best ball of the year. That being said I can live with a competitive loss.

petegz28 02-02-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. noonanbeermefever (Post 8344386)
Stop it. We're supposed to corner the market on being arrogant prick fans.

Don't worry, you still own that title in spades! :thumb:

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-02-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8344393)
Don't worry, you still own that title in spades! :thumb:

Whew. That was a close one.

That said I'll be nearly shocked if KU wins this one. MU could be specal this year. Either way I won't be able to watch it anyway.

petegz28 02-02-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. noonanbeermefever (Post 8344397)

That said I'll be nearly shocked if KU wins this one. MU could be specal this year. Either way I won't be able to watch it anyway.

It should be a good game. What worries me is MU has not played particularly great since Baylor. I was worried about how KU murdered OU but then I rememered MU murdered them even worse and I knew KU at home after a loss would be nails anyway.

We can't shut down KU across the board, there is just no way. I think Robinson is the one you take your chances with since he seems to be either hot or cold. I'd go for shutting down Taylor and getting Withey into foul trouble even if it means Withey gets 10 blocks in the process.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-02-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8344401)
It should be a good game. What worries me is MU has not played particularly great since Baylor. I was worried about how KU murdered OU but then I rememered MU murdered them even worse and I knew KU at home after a loss would be nails anyway.

We can't shut down KU across the board, there is just no way. I think Robinson is the one you take your chances with since he seems to be either hot or cold. I'd go for shutting down Taylor and getting Withey into foul trouble even if it means Withey gets 10 blocks in the process.

No one knows about playing hot and cold better than KU so it all depends on what team shows up for each side. We can look like uninspired ass (Iowa State) or we can dominate. Home crowd for MU... really good team that will be really up for the game as always... I'd pretty much settle for keeping in close and having a chance at the end. Hopefully Taylor or Robinson or both will have inspired performances and Withey doesn't shit himself too much.

Imon Yourside 02-02-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. noonanbeermefever (Post 8344397)

I wouldn't miss it for the world, depending on the outcome i may not post here for a couple of days tho!

RCJHGKU!

petegz28 02-02-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8344415)
I wouldn't miss it for the world, depending on the outcome i may not post here for a couple of days tho!

RCJHGKU!

I'm sure I will hear the boo's all the way from Lawrence every time something doesn't go KU's way! :thumb:

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-02-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8344415)

RCJHGKU!

Well I'd like to watch but my kiddo has a regional pom pon competition out of town and I'm a better dad than a sports fan.

:thumb:

Titty Meat 02-02-2012 07:36 PM

KU might lose Saturday but they'll win another BCS game someday down the road. It's the cost of doing business.

petegz28 02-02-2012 07:37 PM

Something I would really like to do though it would be impossible without losing my mind is to listen to Bob Davis (KU radio announcer) and Mike Kelly (MU radio announcer) during an MU\KU game at the same time.

I have to admit as odd as it sounds that when I first started getting into College BB, I was always an MU fan but never harbored ill-feelings towards KU. Then one night on the radio I listened to Bob Davis calling a KU game and I swear to God the guy ruined me on KU basketball forever. I mean like for a short time I would root for KU as long as they weren't playing MU but after hearing him.....JFC! I swear he makes every KU score sound like it was a half-court 3 at the buzzer and any, I mean any time something doesn't go KU's way you would swear the NCAA was out to get KU on purpose even.

Imon Yourside 02-02-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8344417)
I'm sure I will hear the boo's all the way from Lawrence every time something doesn't go KU's way! :thumb:

Were not Iowa State, we take our lumps and rise back to the top!

petegz28 02-02-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8344435)
Were not Iowa State, we take our lumps and rise back to the top!

Then you must never be at the PHOG. I swear everytime I watch or listen to a KU game and the ball doesn't bounce their way or they get called on a legit foul the boo's rain down like thunder. I understand all home fans do such but I think KU does it the best! :thumb:

Imon Yourside 02-02-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8344432)
Something I would really like to do though it would be impossible without losing my mind is to listen to Bob Davis (KU radio announcer) and Mike Kelly (MU radio announcer) during an MU\KU game at the same time.

I have to admit as odd as it sounds that when I first started getting into College BB, I was always an MU fan but never harbored ill-feelings towards KU. Then one night on the radio I listened to Bob Davis calling a KU game and I swear to God the guy ruined me on KU basketball forever. I mean like for a short time I would root for KU as long as they weren't playing MU but after hearing him.....JFC! I swear he makes every KU score sound like it was a half-court 3 at the buzzer and any, I mean any time something doesn't go KU's way you would swear the NCAA was out to get KU on purpose even.

As a KU fan i wouldn't trade Bob and his homerism for anything. You can tell exactly what is going on just by the tone of his voice. SWISHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imon Yourside 02-02-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8344438)
Then you must never be at the PHOG. I swear everytime I watch or listen to a KU game and the ball doesn't bounce their way or they get called on a legit foul the boo's rain down like thunder. I understand all home fans do such but I think KU does it the best! :thumb:

ISU fans boo when a player gets hurt, KU fans only boo the 50/50 calls generally.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-02-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8344439)
As a KU fan i wouldn't trade Bob and his homerism for anything. You can tell exactly what is going on just by the tone of his voice. SWISHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob is passionate. Since he works for my team I love it but I can see why oppossing fans would be put off. Oh well.

Imon Yourside 02-02-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. noonanbeermefever (Post 8344447)
Bob is passionate. Since he works for my team I love it but I can see why oppossing fans would be put off. Oh well.

The opposing fans would have a coronary if Bob were to officiate a KU game for sure, but I like it even if he does get me riled up over a call only to find out later it wasn't exactly how he described it. ;)

petegz28 02-02-2012 07:45 PM

I would expect Beakers to love their Bob. I can't stand him. Can't stand him as a KU announcer or a Royals announcer. Guy is ****ing annoying. Listened to him during a Royals game one night and the old ****er went 13 minutes without ever giving a score. I heard more bullshit that I would ever care to know about players who no longer play and oh, every now and then he would remember a baseball game was going on.

Imon Yourside 02-02-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8344462)
I would expect Beakers to love their Bob. I can't stand him. Can't stand him as a KU announcer or a Royals announcer. Guy is ****ing annoying. Listened to him during a Royals game one night and the old ****er went 13 minutes without ever giving a score. I heard more bullshit that I would ever care to know about players who no longer play and oh, every now and then he would remember a baseball game was going on.

You would definitely be among the minority on the Royals thing, All of my Misery friends like Bob as the voice of the Royals.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-02-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8344462)

There can be a lot of time to fill in a baseball game... not that I'm saying Bob is great at it. 13 minutes without a score update is a bit much. I always loved listening to Dennys storys though... one of my favorite things about listening to the games.

DeezNutz 02-02-2012 07:53 PM

OHH THAT BALL IS WELL STRUCK; IT'S DEEEEEEP...and Magglio catches it at the start of the track. /Davis

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-02-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8344477)
OHH THAT BALL IS WELL STRUCK; IT'S DEEEEEEP...and Magglio catches it at the start of the track. /Davis

Well it's a big field... that is pretty deep.

:p

So Bob can't judge a fly ball.

petegz28 02-02-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8344477)

LMAO spot the **** on

petegz28 02-02-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. noonanbeermefever (Post 8344481)
Well it's a big field... that is pretty deep.

:p

So Bob can't judge a fly ball.

You hear Bob call that play though and you think the ball was spanked to the wall then you get home and see the replay and the mother ****er is standing in the middle of RF.

petegz28 02-02-2012 08:00 PM

And to put Bob in KU context it's like "Taylor shoots...AND HE HIT'S IT! What a dish from Teahan to hit Taylor right under the basket! KU IS REALLY STARTING TO PUT IT ON THE OTHER TEAM AS THEIR LEAD INCREASES TO 2 WITH 19:45 LEFT TO GO IN THE FIRST HALF!"

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-02-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8344486)
You hear Bob call that play though and you think the ball was spanked to the wall then you get home and see the replay and the mother ****er is standing in the middle of RF.

Yeah I know. Like I said Bob can't judge a fly ball.

petegz28 02-02-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. noonanbeermefever (Post 8344495)
Yeah I know. Like I said Bob can't judge a fly ball.

Bob has a problem with excessive something or other.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-02-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8344499)
Bob has a problem with excessive something or other.

He's passionate, heh.

Imon Yourside 02-02-2012 08:06 PM

Pete your black & gold is showing. :P

petegz28 02-02-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. noonanbeermefever (Post 8344503)
He's passionate, heh.

Yeah but it's like, dude, come on.

Withey hits a point blank shot .."AND WITHEY WITH THE SCORE! WHAT A SHOT!"

Opponent makes a huge contested 3 from way downtown at the shotclock buzzer...."And J'covan Brown hits a 3. You can't leave guys wide open for those easy 3's like that! Did he get that off before the buzzer? I can see why Self is hot, the Refs gotta take a look at that one" Then you see the replay and the guy clearly gets the shot off with a defender in his face from 10 ft behind the 3pt arc with 4 secs left on the shotclock....LMAO

I know a bit of an exageration but still...

mnchiefsguy 02-02-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8344468)
You would definitely be among the minority on the Royals thing, All of my Misery friends like Bob as the voice of the Royals.

Screw that. Give me Denny Mathews and Fred White seven days a week and twice on Sunday. Not a fan of Davis calling the Royals.

Imon Yourside 02-02-2012 08:26 PM

http://tigerboard.com/uimages/user11077_51.jpg

and so it begins.........

petegz28 02-02-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Ugh, no way. That guy sucks for calling baseball. I miss the Denny Trease and Denny Matthews combo.

mnchiefsguy 02-02-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8344554)
Ugh, no way. That guy sucks for calling baseball. I miss the Denny Trease and Denny Matthews combo.

I thought it was Fred Mathews...I might have my announcers all mixed up. Anyhow, the old school Royals announcers on the radio were awesome..Bob Davis, not so much.

petegz28 02-02-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8344576)
I thought it was Fred Mathews...I might have my announcers all mixed up. Anyhow, the old school Royals announcers on the radio were awesome..Bob Davis, not so much.

You're thinking Fred White I do believe. Not to be confused with Frank White, who was not white. Fred White was white. Therefore no noteable relation. Totally different White's altogether.

patteeu 02-02-2012 08:37 PM

Bob Davis might be the worst announcer I've ever heard.

petegz28 02-02-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8344591)
Bob Davis might be the worst announcer I've ever heard.

Oh come on now...."ROBINSON FOR 3..........and it's an airball"

petegz28 02-02-2012 08:42 PM

Bob Davis has to be KU's Bob Uecker.....

"TAYLOR PUTS UP A 3...." (ball falls short touching no rim) "JUUUust a bit soft on that one"

"Boy, how do these shots not fall? Tough rims at the fieldhouse today!"

KC_Connection 02-02-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8344380)

The last time MU beat KU by over 10 points in basketball was over a decade ago (and that was only a 12 PT win). There's little reason to think it will happen on Saturday. KU is far too good this year to allow that to happen.

It should be close...far too close for me to try to predict a winner.

Pitt Gorilla 02-02-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Disagree. I literally know of zero Royals fans that like Davis at all. Denny was the absolute best and Bob is the absolute worst. It doesn't take much of an understanding of baseball to get that.

mnchiefsguy 02-02-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8344644)
The last time MU beat KU by over 10 points in basketball was over a decade ago (and that was only a 12 PT win). There's little reason to think it will happen on Saturday. KU is far too good this year to allow that to happen.

It should be close...far too close for me to try to predict a winner.

I don't see a blowout happening on either side. Two highly ranked teams and conference rivals, should be a helluva game, and it will come down to the very end.

Imon Yourside 02-02-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8344646)
Disagree. I literally know of zero Royals fans that like Davis at all. Denny was the absolute best and Bob is the absolute worst. It doesn't take much of an understanding of baseball to get that.

A lot of folks like his passion, I agree he doesn't give the score often enough even during Basketball games.

Mr_Tomahawk 02-02-2012 09:04 PM

Hmmmmmm...interesting thread.

This must be unfamiliar territory.

petegz28 02-02-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8344662)
A lot of folks like his passion, I agree he doesn't give the score often enough even during Basketball games.

13 minutes! The Wife and I timed him when we were driving home one night and I was getting pissed cause he wouldn't say the damn score. I heard where the opposing pitcher grew up, some quirky shit about his childhood, some non-baseball related crap, something about a game Denny called back when Brett played. We wen through an entire 1/2 inning without getting the score and THEN..THEN all I got as they Royals finished batting was "and we head to the top of the 5th with the Royals still ahead by 1". :banghead:

Pitt Gorilla 02-02-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8344662)

Who are these people? How did they feel about Denny's "passion"?

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-02-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 8344675)
Hmmmmmm...interesting thread.

This must be unfamiliar territory.

They're pretty excited. It's cute isn't it?

:D

petegz28 02-02-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8344680)
Who are these people? How did they feel about Denny's "passion"?

Denny's passion? LMAO

And there's a drive to RF...back goes Ordonez....and gone....

Davis...

"THERE'S A DRIVE TO DEEP RF AND....he caught it"
"Must've been the wind, Denny.."

"We're in a dome, Bob!"

ROFL

petegz28 02-02-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. noonanbeermefever (Post 8344681)
They're pretty excited. It's cute isn't it?

:D

Dude, you can't tell me with KU and MU being #1 & #2 in the Big 12 and this being MU's last year in the Big 12 that this game doesn't have a little more excitement to it than usual?

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-02-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8344687)
Dude, you can't tell me with KU and MU being #1 & #2 in the Big 12 and this being MU's last year in the Big 12 that this game doesn't have a little more excitement to it than usual?

Sure it is but I can still get my little dig in to MU fans can't I? LOL.

Btw it's not even hard to call me on my bullshit here... I'm a Royals fan excited about the upcoming season. Cardinals fans can call that cute.

:)

KC_Connection 02-02-2012 09:24 PM

Well, it matters as much as any regular season college basketball game does (which is to say, not much). It won't have any effect on how well either team does in the March crapshoot tournament. In terms of the conference race, though, it could loom quite large, particularly for MU. A loss really hurts any chance they have in the conference race, but a win puts them in a tie for the lead with KU having the more difficult schedule down the stretch.

KU and MU will play again eventually in the future, so I don't really view these last 2 games as the end of a rivalry or anything like that.

petegz28 02-02-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8344745)
Well, it matters as much as any regular season college basketball game does (which is to say, not much). It won't have any effect on how well either team does in the March crapshoot tournament. In terms of the conference race, though, it could loom quite large, particularly for MU. A loss really hurts any chance they have in the conference race, but a win puts them in a tie for the lead with KU having the more difficult schedule down the stretch.

KU and MU will play again eventually in the future, so I don't really view these last 2 games as the end of a rivalry or anything like that.

Hoenstly I don't care about the Big 12 title. It's a bragging rights thing, sure. I am more focused on getting a #1 or #2 seed in the Tourney. Even if we lost twice to KU, which is nothing to hang your head about, I think we still can rank high enough for that goal.

SAUTO 02-02-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. noonanbeermefever (Post 8344427)
Well I'd like to watch but my kiddo has a regional pom pon competition out of town and I'm a better dad than a sports fan.

:thumb:

props for that homie.
Posted via Mobile Device

petegz28 02-02-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8344745)

Dude, can you imagine, playing 4 times this year? Twice in conference, once in the Big 12 and then the ultimate KU/MU homer dream to have KU and MU faceoff for the NC?

Typically that would be a pipedream but I think both KU and MU can beat Cuse, Kentucky and Ohio State so depending on the bracketing It's just as possible as any other dream matchup.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-02-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8344760)
Hoenstly I don't care about the Big 12 title. It's a bragging rights thing, sure. I am more focused on getting a #1 or #2 seed in the Tourney. Even if we lost twice to KU, which is nothing to hang your head about, I think we still can rank high enough for that goal.

I think MU has a good shot at a 1 seed... at least a 2.

I also think a conference title is a worthy thing, I don't care what anyone says. KU has won several and they're all special to me. Doesn't matter if we have bigger dreams. It's a nice thing to do and it means a lot imo. Should mean a lot to anyone else.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-02-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 8344761)
props for that homie.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks but it's just what a parent is suppossed to do... no biggie.

KC_Connection 02-02-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8344760)

I care about the conference title. A consistent season of success is more indicative of how good your team is than a few games in March are. And besides, it would be nice to keep the streak going. If Haith's Mizzou team was able to break it, I'd have a lot of respect for them.

Both MU and KU should at least get #2 seeds regardless of the outcome of their games against each other (the Big 12 champion generally gets a #1). High seeds are by no means a guarantee of success, though, as any KU (or Duke, UK, or UNC) fan knows.

KC_Connection 02-02-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8344769)
Dude, can you imagine, playing 4 times this year? Twice in conference, once in the Big 12 and then the ultimate KU/MU homer dream to have KU and MU faceoff for the NC?

Typically that would be a pipedream but I think both KU and MU can beat Cuse, Kentucky and Ohio State so depending on the bracketing It's just as possible as any other dream matchup.

They could easily play in the B12 tournament, but there are too many possible pitfalls in the NCAA tournament for me to expect they'll play again there. One of them will no doubt go down earlier than expected, if not both.

But yeah, as far as a homer dream goes, that would be nice.

SAUTO 02-02-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. noonanbeermefever (Post 8344775)
Thanks but it's just what a parent is suppossed to do... no biggie.

I've got little ones, I know.

But there are a lot nowadays that dont get it...
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-02-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 8344784)
I've got little ones, I know.

But there are a lot nowadays that dont get it...
Posted via Mobile Device

Sadly thats true. I can't imagine missing something my kid is doing to watch a game or even worse just because you're too lazy to get off your ass and go. Being there means a lot to them and besides that it's fun for me.

joesomebody 02-03-2012 02:36 PM

So Coach Haith is trying to get this game to be civil... He's new. Forgive him.

http://www.mutigers.com/allaccess/?media=297014

Molitoth 02-03-2012 02:45 PM

haha. Haith mentions to say MIZ-ZOU instead of MIZ-FKU.

ChiTown 02-03-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. noonanbeermefever (Post 8344817)
Sadly thats true. I can't imagine missing something my kid is doing to watch a game or even worse just because you're too lazy to get off your ass and go. Being there means a lot to them and besides that it's fun for me.

Amen!

There is not a college or pro game that would make me want to skip one of my kids events - sports or otherwise. When I'm on my death bed rolling thru the memories of my life, it sure as **** won't be that Chiefs Raiders game of YOR that im thinking about. I hope to see both of my Son's faces and remember all of the times we spent together, and all the times I watched them grow up doing their thing. Anyone that's not placing a high priority on that is completely missing the boat. JMHO

Saul Good 02-03-2012 03:34 PM

Mizzou is a 3 point favorite.

HemiEd 02-03-2012 03:35 PM

This thread is just shocking I tell you. Nobody gives a crap about basketball, remember?

O.city 02-03-2012 03:36 PM

So is 3 points becaue Miz is at home?

Saul Good 02-03-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8346338)
So is 3 points becaue Miz is at home?

Pretty much a toss-up otherwise, yes.

Frazod 02-03-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 8346336)
This thread is just shocking I tell you. Nobody gives a crap about basketball, remember?

I still hope we kick your ass, though.

HemiEd 02-03-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8346444)
I still hope we kick your ass, though.

Better get your licks in while you can, the Jayhawks had a roster go to the NBA last year. These kids are getting better, but this may be your shot.
I hope it is a good game, the Tigers look very strong.

baitism 02-03-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 8346459)
Better get your licks in while you can, the Jayhawks had a roster go to the NBDL last year. These kids are getting better, but this may be your shot.
I hope it is a good game, the Tigers look very strong.

Fixed it for you.

Bambi 02-03-2012 04:50 PM

KU can finish off the Championship with a victory tomorrow night.

A loss and it gets a bit tougher but still very attainable.

Should be fun.

Bambi 02-03-2012 05:04 PM

Obsessed much?

Fans chirping over what could be last KU-Mizzou basketball game in Columbia
By Andy Hyland

As Kansas University and the University of Missouri are ready to meet on the basketball court for what could be one of the last times, the game came with the usual amount of sniping.

The Missouri Alumni Association held a contest where fans could win tickets to Saturday night’s game against “kU,” as they referred to it, by entering and listing “three reasons why I’m not a Jayhawk.”

More than 2,700 people participated in the contest. Jack E. Kinney Jr., a 1969 journalism alumnus of the school, won.

His reasons? His late uncle Bob said the best school for a Missourian is MU, and Tigers are better than “some goofy bird.”

Other submitted reasons will be posted online later.

“(Former Missouri basketball coach) Norm Stewart would not let his teams eat or sleep in Kansas. Whatever Stormin’ Norman says is good enough for me,” Kinney wrote.

Todd McCubbin, executive director of the MU Alumni Association, said the contest could “definitely can slip into some not fun areas if we’re not careful.”

The association is also using the week to boost membership, pointing out that it has the fourth-highest members in the conference, trailing KU.

“I think it’s fair game and we have some fun with it,” McCubbin said of the rivalry. “It has driven some membership, there’s no doubt, this week.”

Kevin Corbett, president of the KU Alumni Association, said this kind of tactic is nothing new.

“It’s at least the third campaign they’ve run to try and recruit more members than the KU Alumni Association,” he said.

It hasn’t worked so far, he pointed out.

But it wasn’t all sniping this week.

Xavier Billingsley, president of the Missouri Students Association, distributed a letter to the university community asking fans to avoid committing “some act of ignorance against our opponents.”

“Keep your eyes and ears open this week,” he wrote. “And if you see an example of insensitive fan behavior or encounter words or actions unbefitting Mizzou, make sure the students behind that ignorance know you don’t appreciate it.”

— Higher education reporter Andy Hyland can be reached at 832-6388. Follow him at Twitter.com/LJW_KU.

Saul Good 02-03-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8346529)
Obsessed much?

Fans chirping over what could be last KU-Mizzou basketball game in Columbia
By Andy Hyland

As Kansas University and the University of Missouri are ready to meet on the basketball court for what could be one of the last times, the game came with the usual amount of sniping.

The Missouri Alumni Association held a contest where fans could win tickets to Saturday night’s game against “kU,” as they referred to it, by entering and listing “three reasons why I’m not a Jayhawk.”

More than 2,700 people participated in the contest. Jack E. Kinney Jr., a 1969 journalism alumnus of the school, won.

His reasons? His late uncle Bob said the best school for a Missourian is MU, and Tigers are better than “some goofy bird.”

Other submitted reasons will be posted online later.

“(Former Missouri basketball coach) Norm Stewart would not let his teams eat or sleep in Kansas. Whatever Stormin’ Norman says is good enough for me,” Kinney wrote.

Todd McCubbin, executive director of the MU Alumni Association, said the contest could “definitely can slip into some not fun areas if we’re not careful.”

The association is also using the week to boost membership, pointing out that it has the fourth-highest members in the conference, trailing KU.

“I think it’s fair game and we have some fun with it,” McCubbin said of the rivalry. “It has driven some membership, there’s no doubt, this week.”

Kevin Corbett, president of the KU Alumni Association, said this kind of tactic is nothing new.

“It’s at least the third campaign they’ve run to try and recruit more members than the KU Alumni Association,” he said.

It hasn’t worked so far, he pointed out.

But it wasn’t all sniping this week.

Xavier Billingsley, president of the Missouri Students Association, distributed a letter to the university community asking fans to avoid committing “some act of ignorance against our opponents.”

“Keep your eyes and ears open this week,” he wrote. “And if you see an example of insensitive fan behavior or encounter words or actions unbefitting Mizzou, make sure the students behind that ignorance know you don’t appreciate it.”

— Higher education reporter Andy Hyland can be reached at 832-6388. Follow him at Twitter.com/LJW_KU.

Reading an article about MU fans and posting it in an MU thread? Yes, you're obsessed much.

Pitt Gorilla 02-03-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8346529)
Obsessed much?

Clearly, you are.

Frazod 02-03-2012 07:01 PM

I might as well get in the spirit of things.

Saul Good 02-03-2012 07:04 PM

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/...scoreboard.jpg

SAUTO 02-03-2012 07:07 PM

Good luck to both team's respective fans tomorrow.

Lets hope it is a good game
Posted via Mobile Device

Bambi 02-03-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8346716)

Hell yeah. A great game between two proud basketball schools brings this stuff out.