ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Dog owners...some advice please (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=240622)

Gracie Dean 01-21-2011 03:00 PM

Dog owners...some advice please

We have our boxer who is almost 8 months. HE is very friendly and lovable and harmless. Our daughter and fiance has this dinky little chiwawa/terrier mix and brings him to our house when they visit which is about 3 times a week.

Our boxer loves this little puppy but he is so big and happy that we are afraid that he will hurt the little guy with his play so we usually end up putting the boxer in his room. We don't think it is fair because Angus isn't mean, he just plays and plays. This is his house, but when they put their little guy in his travel cage, he cries very loudly and if he gets really angry he poops in his cage just because he is pissed. (personally, I wouldn't have the little dog, but that is not my call)

There has got to be a better way to let them play together without worry of the little dog getting hurt.

Any advice? Angus is like 4 times bigger than their little dinky guy and probably weighs 60 lbs more.

Buehler445 01-21-2011 03:07 PM

My blue heeler plays really really well with a 8 week old Beagle. Let him out. He'll know if he hurts the little shit factory.
Posted via Mobile Device

kstater 01-21-2011 03:09 PM

Antifreeze

ModSocks 01-21-2011 03:10 PM

let 'em play. They're dogs. Obviously supervise them. Eventually your dog will get bored with him anyway.

Rooster 01-21-2011 03:10 PM

We have a boxer that weighs about 70lbs with the same temperment as yours it sounds like. He plays fine with little dogs. Usually, in the beginning, the excitement of a playmate is pretty crazy but he calms down.

If they are both good natured and not fighting I personally wouldn't worry about it much. The little dog is tougher than you think and will let you know if it feels overwhelmed.

Just my 2 cents.

Lonewolf Ed 01-21-2011 03:11 PM

Well, one thing that could happen is when you put your dog in a room and he hears everything going on, he could start to resent them coming over. You might try letting them meet each other and see what happens, but stay close in case you need to rescue the little dog. Maybe even hold the small dog and let yours come over and sniff it, so they can get introduced safely. It might work out fine, too. I have seen a video on YouTube of a rottweiler lying on his back while a chihuahua romps around on his neck. The rott rolled on his side and gently bit the chihuahua's legs, so he knew how not to hurt the tiny thing.

Sofa King 01-21-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 7373514)
let 'em play. They're dogs. Obviously supervise them. Eventually your dog will get bored with him anyway.

this

Pioli Zombie 01-21-2011 03:12 PM

Eat him.

Warrior5 01-21-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 7373514)

second this. They'll figure it out.

Donger 01-21-2011 03:15 PM

Tell your daughter to leave her dog at home.

kstater 01-21-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 7373531)

That would likely involve logic.

seclark 01-21-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 7373531)

see...this is actually very good advice. couple years ago, my cousin shows up at our house and opens her car door up and out jumps her little french bulldog. all at once, our american bulldog pounces and chomps down on pee-air(sp? idgaf!). cousin is all pissed off, saying my dog's dangerous and has probably ruined pee-airs chances of being an award winning show dog and whatnot. she said i needed to either put my dog down, or keep it contained. wtf for??? i never invited her to bring her little pussy dog to our house in the first place.

imo, you don't take your f@ckin pets to someone elses house for a visit.
sec

Gracie Dean 01-21-2011 03:30 PM

I would prefer her to leave the dog at home but apparently they take the little thing everywhere with them. We don't want them to not come over because of the dog

I like the thought that eventually they will play well together and maybe if we keep easing them together, they will be friends. My dog loves the dog and isn't mean at all they just dont' know when to stop and Angus is so big, if he stepped on the foot or leg of the dinky thing, it might break ...that is our concern...

kcfanXIII 01-21-2011 03:33 PM

Dogs will be dogs. Let them be around each other but put your foot down. Make your boxer chill out and lay down. DON'T pick thelittle shitbox up. It makes the dog feel superior and higher in the pecking order. It will lead to problems.

It will take some effort but once the two dogs get in the habit of being chilled out, you will be fine.

Just Passin' By 01-21-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noswad (Post 7373561)
I would prefer her to leave the dog at home but apparently they take the little thing everywhere with them. We don't want them to not come over because of the dog

I like the thought that eventually they will play well together and maybe if we keep easing them together, they will be friends. My dog loves the dog and isn't mean at all they just dont' know when to stop and Angus is so big, if he stepped on the foot or leg of the dinky thing, it might break ...that is our concern...

I've had 180+ pound dogs playing with dogs that were under 20 pounds. They usually learn the boundaries of play after a few yelps and/or growls.