ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU **** OFFICIAL 2013-2014 Kansas Basketball Repository Thread, Part 2 **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280658)

Lzen 01-31-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10403213)

Tyshawn....was absolutely the catalyst for the offense that boasted Conner Teahan as a starter....to the national championship game. Conner Teahan as a starter. National championship game....

That's really amazing to think about. :thumb:

Mr. Plow 01-31-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10403719)
Try answering my question next time. I said how come the Big 12 schools aren't ever on the right side of luck? You responded only with KU. Completely avoiding the point. (Incidentally KU is neither lucky nor unlucky over the long haul or under Self)

You said "Since Self arrived". I wasn't aware he arrived in 2008. But now I know.

Basically, what you are trying to say is that because other teams in the Big 12 haven't won championships, or gotten to Final Fours within a crapshoot of tournament the Big 12 is a bad conference.

Lzen 01-31-2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 10403216)
Wut... the NFL is watered down and the regular season means almost nothing. Just look at the Chiefs... 9-0 didn't mean shit because you can actually go more than half the season without playing anyone.

I do love Self's non-conference strategy... the games against the 150+ ranked teams are pointless, it obviously pays off big time, and the committee in recent years has rewarded a tough SoS with a few losses over rolling terrible teams.

Any conference with 5 ranked teams and 3 more receiving votes is doing pretty damn well. KU's conference games have been great entertainment, except TCU (even though a good beat down is nice to see sometimes).

I used to enjoy those beatdowns. Anymore, it's just boring to me. I would much rather watch them have tough games (and come out on top) and be prepared come tourney time.

I would like for KU to have a rival like the UNC/Duke thing. MU was kind of that. But they were kind of up and down. KSU was starting to get there under Martin. But they have to win more than once in a decade. ;)

Bambi 01-31-2014 10:34 AM

Watching at the Texas bar tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Mr. Plow 01-31-2014 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10403875)

Went to the game in 08, got some shit because we lost but other than that mostly decent people. Hung out with a UT group at a bar for most of the night.

Lzen 01-31-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 10403891)
Went to the game in 08, got some shit because we lost but other than that mostly decent people. Hung out with a UT group at a bar for most of the night.

Traitor!

Mr. Plow 01-31-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 10403894)
Traitor!

It's actually a pretty nice place to catch a game....and close to bars. :D

sedated 01-31-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10403875)

Be sure to remind them that their team is playing a basketball game that day.

KC_Connection 01-31-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10403719)
Try answering my question next time. I said how come the Big 12 schools aren't ever on the right side of luck? You responded only with KU. Completely avoiding the point. (Incidentally KU is neither lucky nor unlucky over the long haul or under Self)

There is no answer to the question, it's a ****ing crapshoot. A luck-filled single elimination tournament that is comprised of 68 teams that can lose a game at any time. Why any supposed knowledgeable NCAA fan would judge the strength of a conference solely based on that, I'm not exactly sure.

Quote:

You said "Since Self arrived". I wasn't aware he arrived in 2008. But now I know.
And now I know you're trolling for an argument. The fact is that the B12 is one of the strongest conferences in the country and has been for a long time now. If you're trying to diminish KU's accomplishments on that basis, you're simply being ridiculous.

Pablo 01-31-2014 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 10403833)
I used to enjoy those beatdowns. Anymore, it's just boring to me. I would much rather watch them have tough games (and come out on top) and be prepared come tourney time.

I would like for KU to have a rival like the UNC/Duke thing. MU was kind of that. But they were kind of up and down. KSU was starting to get there under Martin. But they have to win more than once in a decade. ;)

Nobody can compete with our program.

Texas should be the one to test us year in and out with the insane amount of talent in that state.

Maybe Okie State or ISU can step up to the plate and beat us every third time we play or something. Doubtful.

Bearcat 01-31-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 10404039)
And now I know you're trolling for an argument.

Well, yeah.

Prison Bitch 01-31-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 10404039)
There is no answer to the question, it's a ****ing crapshoot. A luck-filled single elimination tournament that is comprised of 68 teams that can lose a game at any time. Why any supposed knowledgeable NCAA fan would judge the strength of a conference solely based on that, I'm not exactly sure.

And now I know you're trolling for an argument. The fact is that the B12 is one of the strongest conferences in the country and has been for a long time now. If you're trying to diminish KU's accomplishments on that basis, you're simply being ridiculous.

There's been what, 50 non-KU tourney teams since our streak began? Bad luck I guess that zero made the FF. even Butler and VCU and George Mason made it during that time.

The critical point though is that we have no legit peer and that's why the streak has continued. It really doesn't matter that our #7 is better than the ACC #7 in a given year, since that's not our competitor.

KC_Connection 01-31-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10404265)
There's been what, 50 non-KU tourney teams since our streak began? Bad luck I guess that zero made the FF. even Butler and VCU and George Mason made it during that time.

Yes, I suppose it was. Such is the nature of a crapshoot.

Quote:

The critical point though is that we have no legit peer and that's why the streak has continued.
We have no legit peer because Kansas basketball under Bill Self has been consistently the best program in the country for the last 11 years. Only Coach K and Duke could even claim to be anything close to what Self has done.

This is a bit like shitting on Tiger Woods for dominating his competition to the extent he has since 1997. Are his 14 majors somehow less impressive because Phil Mickelson only managed 5? Should he have brought his level down during his prime to even it up?

Prison Bitch 01-31-2014 03:04 PM

The Tiger comparison is pretty lame because he's competing against the whole field. Self doesn't win 10 straight NCAA titles by any stretch, in fact he's been mediocre in March. If you look at the probability chart by seed, Self is about average.

And if he's so-so in March....which he indisputably is.....what does that say about how good we really have been? The truth is KU & Duke have separated themselves from the pack but that margin is extremely narrow. Extremely. And winning the Big 12 isn't the signature achievement that Coach K's 11 Final Fours are, or Pitino's 9-0 record IN Sweet 16s is (or whatever the number is) or even Boeheim's 900+ wins.

Self has 2 final fours in 10 years at KU. That rate is lower than Roy and Larry at KU. Even Self admits: "You can't have a great season with a poor March"

Ceej 01-31-2014 03:10 PM

FIRE SELF!!!