ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Geno Smith fans roll call (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263890)

RealSNR 09-18-2012 09:07 AM

Geno Smith fans roll call

NEW THREAD HEADER (11/17/12):

The list is gone. We will all be Geno Smith fans when he gets drafted by the Chiefs. For historical documentation's sake, I'll keep the list in a separate post on this thread: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...postcount=3314

WHY GENO SMITH?
If you're wondering if Geno Smith is right for you, check out this brilliant post by Saccopoo:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...postcount=5388

Next, we have a few GIFs you may be interested in from the Oklahoma game. Insane potential. These are the elite throws that very few QBs can make. What more can I say? Geno Smith can be a franchise QB in the NFL, and the Chiefs need to take a shot on him.

GIF #1:

GIF #2:

GIF #3 (My favorite):

HOW DO WE GET HIM HERE?

Glad you asked. I posted this checklist earlier. It probably belongs in the thread header, and will be updated as the Chiefs close out their season and start a new chapter in their franchise story.

Preparing for Geno Smith's Arrival In KC Checklist

1. [X] Lose games and acquire the #1 overall pick
2. [X] Get Pioli and the Patriot Way cronies the **** out
3. [X] Hire new GM/coach

OPTIONAL (but highly recommended):
4. [ ] Re-sign/tag Bowe, who really wants to play in KC with Geno
5. [ ] Re-sign/tag Albert

Brock 09-18-2012 09:08 AM

Can we beat the Raiders to him? I'm not so sure.

lcarus 09-18-2012 09:09 AM

Im on board

LOCOChief 09-18-2012 09:09 AM

I'm in.

Black Bob 09-18-2012 09:09 AM

He's my favorite right now but it's still too early to say. He has a whole lot to prove imo. mechanics, ability and size aren't everything. We need a leader first and foremost. We need a guy who can carry the team when they need it. We need to get this pick right bigtime.

DaKCMan AP 09-18-2012 09:11 AM

I need to watch him play some more. I saw him 1 year and 2 years ago. His numbers look great, but need to watch to see if those are all bubble-screen, high percentage throws in space (along with some bombs) or if he's making solid throws into tight coverage.

the Talking Can 09-18-2012 09:11 AM

we have to lose, we have to draft him

Black Bob 09-18-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 8924404)
I need to watch him play some more. I saw him 1 year and 2 years ago. His numbers look great, but need to watch to see if those are all bubble-screen, high percentage throws in space (along with some bombs) or if he's making solid throws into tight coverage.

That was the problem with Cousins last year. The numbers didn't match the talent. There was alot of stat padding with Cousins.

beach tribe 09-18-2012 09:14 AM

Right here.

beach tribe 09-18-2012 09:15 AM

My knowledge of him is admittedly limited, but I've liked what I have seen, and I want a Fn QB so sign me up.

Chiefnj2 09-18-2012 09:16 AM

He'll play 4 ranked teams in October/early November. In his two games this year he is just padding his numbers against inferior competition.

Play someone real like Barkley and Bray just did and you'll get a better picture.

So far, he might be the best out of a severely flawed QB draft class.

ILChief 09-18-2012 09:16 AM

Wilson is still my pick but geno is growing on me

The Franchise 09-18-2012 09:19 AM

I'm in.

It's time.

Fat Elvis 09-18-2012 09:20 AM

A guy who has as many TDs as incomplete passes? I'm in.

RealSNR 09-18-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qvrXu9Fsvpk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KCrockaholic 09-18-2012 09:27 AM

Count me in!

htismaqe 09-18-2012 09:28 AM

Hey, nobody told me when I got into this that there would be FREE PIZZA ROLLS!

Bonus!

ChiefsCountry 09-18-2012 09:30 AM

I would still rather have Barkley.

Fritz88 09-18-2012 09:31 AM

if he can puts 4+ pts on my jayhwaks thn i wil no 4 sure he good.

WV 09-18-2012 09:34 AM

First of all....obviously I'm on board! :thumb:

Quote:

To answer this, so far Geno has been awesome in the areas you're mentioning. He has made some spectacular throws in his two games this year, but I will relent that he has yet to play a stellar defense.

I haven't been completely on board with Smith until this year. Like I said in another thread, it just looks like something has clicked for him this year and in a good way.

Black Bob 09-18-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8924454)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qvrXu9Fsvpk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Does he only run the spread? He's not really a scrambler either is he? I know that was last year's tape but, he's staring guys down, overthrowing people, and making bad reads. He rarely hits people in stride either. Especially on down field throws. His passes are bad when he tries to hit someone in stride. On short routes the WRs almost have to stop. That's the biggest thing I saw. I know it's just one game but he doesn't really look like a first round pick in that video.

I like him though. I like him better than Barkley and Landry.

Urc Burry 09-18-2012 09:37 AM

I haven't seen a whole lot of him, but from what I have seen his arm strength seemed pretty average I thought

Chiefnj2 09-18-2012 09:41 AM

It's always amazing to see the Planet's maturation. 3 years ago a "draft Geno Smith" post would have resulted in "he only operates out of the shotgun", "he's a spread monkey" [non-racial use], etc.

For anyone interested here is an extremely detailed breakdown of the WV offense so you too can pretend to have watched every Geno Smith game since he arrived at Milan Puskar Stadium.

http://smartfootball.com/offense/dan...irraid-offense

ModSocks 09-18-2012 09:42 AM

Sign me up.

Hell, might as well just sign up the entire board, there really isn't a better prospect out there right now.

DaKCMan AP 09-18-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 8924475)

To answer this, so far Geno has been awesome in the areas you're mentioning. He has made some spectacular throws in his two games this year, but I will relent that he has yet to play a stellar defense.

I haven't been completely on board with Smith until this year. Like I said in another thread, it just looks like something has clicked for him this year and in a good way.

Good. Like I said, I haven't watched him play yet this year. I haven't been impressed in 2012 with Barkley or Bray. It would have been nice to have seen Wilson play against Bama last week... but that didn't happen.

WV 09-18-2012 09:44 AM

Marshall Highlights. He makes some nice throws in this game and has deceptive speed. He is a long strider when he pulls it down. And his arm strength is pretty good IMO.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZyZ4TCpD-g8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Highlights from both games...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X-hImksFm-0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Black Bob 09-18-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 8924491)
Sign me up.

Hell, might as well just sign up the entire board, there really isn't a better prospect out there right now.

Yet.... No one knew who Cam Newton was at this time two years ago.

Skyy God 09-18-2012 09:45 AM

He's no RG3....

Pasta Little Brioni 09-18-2012 09:45 AM

Sure, why not?

Pasta Little Brioni 09-18-2012 09:45 AM

Move him to reciever/dumbasses

DaKCMan AP 09-18-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBob (Post 8924498)

I knew who Cam Newton was 5 years ago.

KC native 09-18-2012 09:47 AM

Put me down for Geno Smith. Barkley has bust written all over him. **** USC.

pr_capone 09-18-2012 09:48 AM

IN

Black Bob 09-18-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 8924504)
I knew who Cam Newton was 5 years ago.

Well, no one but you LMAO

You know what I meant.

The Franchise 09-18-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBob (Post 8924498)

That's a bold ****ing statement.

Fish 09-18-2012 09:49 AM

Permission to come aboard Sir!

http://imageshack.us/a/img853/2874/6...esexysailo.jpg

ModSocks 09-18-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 8924505)
Put me down for Geno Smith. Barkley has bust written all over him. **** USC.

I don't see bust. I think he'll be a good QB in the NFL.

BoneKrusher 09-18-2012 09:52 AM

Here

KC native 09-18-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 8924475)

Andy Dalton did the same thing for TCU. Based on his junior year, I would have said noway he goes pro. His senior year was lights out though and i knew he would be drafted.

Black Bob 09-18-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8924509)
That's a bold ****ing statement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing
Sign me up.

Hell, might as well just sign up the entire board, there really isn't a better prospect out there YET.
Is that better? I think maybe you misunderstood me.

I guess my point is that there are still alot of games to be played and I haven't seen enough to make a judgement. No brainers like Andrew Luck are rare #1 picks imo.

Chiefnj2 09-18-2012 09:55 AM

Being a Chief fan and falling in love with a QB, especially a particular QB is the dumbest thing you can do. Ain't going to happen.

KC native 09-18-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 8924511)
I don't see bust. I think he'll be a good QB in the NFL.

USC is a QB bust factory.

Setsuna 09-18-2012 09:58 AM

Smoke and mirrors. Didn't he get raped by LSU last year or something like that?

Chiefnj2 09-18-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 8924542)

Not at all.

jd1020 09-18-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

People say that he was good against LSU. I didn't see it. He threw for 463 yards, but he also threw the ball 65 times. He had a couple of pretty good plays during the game and ended up with 2(?) INTs, but probably should have had like 5 INTs. If you ignore the fact that he threw for 463 yards, because of how many times he threw the ball, it was statistically one of his worst games.

Gravedigger 09-18-2012 10:11 AM

After watching a 2011 highlight video and his play against LSU last year I have a few thoughts:

His ability to avoid the defense and create space in the pocket is pretty awesome. He can flush out and hit guys on the run with pretty efficient accuracy.

He has a really quick release, which is good and bad at the same time. By releasing the ball so quickly you can get it to your wide receivers to make the YAC more easily, but you can also throw it too far because your being asked to predict how fast your receiver is and if he even has an open route to the destination, ie isn't going to get held up at the line and pressed. Some passes were really far out in front of his receivers and others were either right on the money or else lucky he didn't get picked.

I think doing the Cam Newton, RG3 comparison is dangerous ground because we shouldn't be drafting a QB because QB's like him in play style have emerged the last two years because this guy could flame out. In picking a new QB it's all about luck, you don't know if you're going to get a good QB in the first round or a Ryan Leaf. I say if he's there or if he's attainable you jump up to get him if that's your guy. I'll definitely keep my eye on him this year though now that WV is in the Big 12 but I want to see how he performs in likely his last year before he declares for the draft, especially in the big games.

lcarus 09-18-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 8924491)
Sign me up.

Exactly. Hell I'm just so beyond ready to draft a 1st round QB, I don't really care who it is. I know that's not a healthy train of thought, but at this point I'm on the "any rookie QB has more potential than Cassel" train. :shrug:

Saccopoo 09-18-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

You mean when he faced a LSU defense loaded with first rounders and rung up 463 yards on them? With guys draped all over him the whole game. Go watch that game again. WV was totally outmanned, and he did force some throws, but he never let up once.

Smoke and mirrors my ass.

Geno Smith is totally legit. Impeccable form, great pocket presence, a film room junkie, amazing accuracy and never lets off the gas. A fabulous pocket passer with the athletic ability to effectively scramble when needed. He's got a very good arm and isn't afraid to air it out. Hits guys in stride deep even while effectively covered. The guy is a natural with no flaws in his game. Former HS Army All-American.

His sophomore year (the first year he started) was very good. His junior year was absolutely terrific. His senior year is on pace to be the stuff of legends.

As a pro prospect, I like him as much as Luck last year.

Yeah, I'm all in.

suds79 09-18-2012 10:16 AM

I don't know if he's #1 on my board (honestly I haven't seen enough of him yet) but at this point I don't care who the Chiefs take.

There's going to be a lot of 1st round QBs this year. Just take one of them.

Saccopoo 09-18-2012 10:20 AM

Oh, and the Chiefs can also hire Dana Holgorsen for head coach in 2013. Guy has now twice (OSU and WV) proven his offensive play/style works.

I'm sick of "tree" guys playing 1970's football.

It's time to get this shit into the modern era.

DJ's left nut 09-18-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8924392)
Lots of guys have been cropping up with Geno Smith avatars and sigs. Sac has posted videos, pictures, and glowing reports in the past couple days. You got guys like DJs Left Nut and me who have been touting this kid since last year's draft and before.

This kid will be the true #1 overall pick by the 2013 draft, I think. And I hope we're able to put ourselves in a position to go get him if we don't lose enough games by ourselves. Barkley has problems. Wilson has a leaky vagina. Bray and Murray are juniors who won't declare. Logan Thomas... HA! Don't even try.

Smith is the way, folks. You may as well recognize that now.

Sign in on this thread and I'll put you on this list to form the Legion of Smith. Post a comment on my webzone and I'll e-mail you a pizza roll.

Roll call:
SNR
Saccopoo
htismaqe
DJs Left Nut
lcarus
LOCOChief
the Talking Can
beach tribe
Pestilence
Fat Elvis

We're driving this goddamn bus and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...93&postcount=7

Reaper16 09-18-2012 10:22 AM

Sure. Why not?

Bump 09-18-2012 10:22 AM

I'm in

htismaqe 09-18-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8924622)
Oh, and the Chiefs can also hire Dana Holgorsen for head coach in 2013. Guy has now twice (OSU and WV) proven his offensive play/style works.

I'm sick of "tree" guys playing 1970's football.

It's time to get this shit into the modern era.

:bravo: :hail:

Thig Lyfe 09-18-2012 10:26 AM

I'm in. Big, athletic quarterbacks who can run well but think like a traditional pocket quarterback are all the rage. Also, he's not Matt Cassel.

siberian khatru 09-18-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8924631)
Sure. Why not?

Kinda my feeling. Keep drafting one till you find the right one.

DaKCMan AP 09-18-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8924622)
Oh, and the Chiefs can also hire Dana Holgorsen for head coach in 2013.

No.

saphojunkie 09-18-2012 10:28 AM

I'm intrigued, but truthfully it IS a lot of bubble screens and high-percentage passes. He has a touch of happy feet sometimes against the rush and backpedals when he should be stepping up.

When his feet are planted, he has a great arm and delivery. I have no idea how to evaluate his decision making. That offense is such a college system that it will take legit scouting to determine if he can translate to the pro game.

Reaper16 09-18-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 8924656)
I'm intrigued, but truthfully it IS a lot of bubble screens and high-percentage passes. He has a touch of happy feet sometimes against the rush and backpedals when he should be stepping up.

When his feet are planted, he has a great arm and delivery. I have no idea how to evaluate his decision making. That offense is such a college system that it will take legit scouting to determine if he can translate to the pro game.

I'm at the point where I'm slowly giving up on my traditional beliefs about college system QBs translating to the NFL. If Russell Wilson can immediately start for an NFL team then all bets are off.

Chiefnj2 09-18-2012 10:31 AM

April 25, 2013:

Goodell: And with the first pick in the 2013 NFL draft the Kanas City Chiefs select Sam Montgomery, LB LSU.

48 Hours later:
ChiefsPlanet: "It's okay we need a better LB", "He was a top 5 pick on everyone's draft chart", "We can sign Clausen"...

mcaj22 09-18-2012 10:32 AM

geno smith in a chiefs uniform is my wet dream

jd1020 09-18-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8924670)
April 25, 2013:

Goodell: And with the first pick in the 2013 NFL draft the Kanas City Chiefs select Sam Montgomery, LB LSU.

48 Hours later:
ChiefsPlanet: "It's okay we need a better LB", "He was a top 5 pick on everyone's draft chart", "We can sign Clausen"...

If the Chiefs end up, or trade up, with the #1 pick and don't pick a QB, there won't be a 24 hours later. This team and city will have exploded.

MIAdragon 09-18-2012 10:34 AM

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/12...-thumbs-up.jpg

Nightfyre 09-18-2012 10:34 AM

His performance in last years lsu game was damn impressive. I want to see him in more tough games this year before declaring him the number one qb, though.

suds79 09-18-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 8924656)
I'm intrigued, but truthfully it IS a lot of bubble screens and high-percentage passes.

That offense is such a college system that it will take legit scouting to determine if he can translate to the pro game.

I think what's interesting is that what you mentioned is common in the spread system.

But guess what... The spread is in fully effect in the NFL with several teams running it. It's as friendly of a QB system there is and it's a QB league. So why not adopt it.

Saccopoo 09-18-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8924665)
I'm at the point where I'm slowly giving up on my traditional beliefs about college system QBs translating to the NFL. If Russell Wilson can immediately start for an NFL team then all bets are off.

Smith was good before Holgorsen showed up at West Virginia. Holgorsen's offense does put a shit ton of numbers up, but Smith is good enough to play in it and rack up video game stats.

And DaKC, yes to Holgorsen. Woody Hayes has been dead a long time. I'll take a guy like Urban Meyer or Holgorsen who are basically re-inventing the game. (And Holgorsen's offense is almost a 50/50 run/pass system, so it's not like he's just popping short bubble screens all day long. Go watch Smith/WV. He airs it out. A lot.)

BigMeatballDave 09-18-2012 10:44 AM

In

shitgoose 09-18-2012 10:46 AM

In but I would bet a dollar to a dime that we end up with somebody like Te'o or another DT/DE

RealSNR 09-18-2012 10:46 AM

I see a lot of, "In, but whatever, don't care"s

IF U NOT WITH US U AGAINST US WE RIDE TOGETHER WE DIE TOGETHER

Brock 09-18-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

April 25, 2013:

48 Hours later:

"There's better QBs next year anyway"

htismaqe 09-18-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8924665)

Same here.

DJ's left nut 09-18-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

April 25, 2013:

48 Hours later:

You forgot: "Hey, Jovan Belcher's an Unrestricted Free Agent and we're going to need to keep that cap space to extend Javier Arenas. This guy should do a nice job of replacing him"

Fansy the Famous Bard 09-18-2012 10:50 AM

GE-NO GE-NO GE-NO

DJ's left nut 09-18-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8924743)
I see a lot of, "In, but whatever, don't care"s

IF U NOT WITH US U AGAINST US WE RIDE TOGETHER WE DIE TOGETHER

Hey - you're the one putting these wishy washy sonsabitches on the roll call list.

!@#$ 'em - It's Geno or bust.

Phase one: Hire Dana Hologorson
Phase two: Draft Geno Smith
Phase three: Profit.

allen_kcCard 09-18-2012 10:52 AM

Bust or not, I'd rather take a risk on a guy like this and go 0-16 than go 8-8 with Cassel at this point. At least then I can know we tried to break the cycle.

bevischief 09-18-2012 10:53 AM

I made it a point last year to read a lot of you guys thoughts on the drafts prospects last year and liked what I read so with the ones heading this thing I have no choice but to agree I am in. I will continue to keep reading your guys thoughts this year as well.

In58men 09-18-2012 10:54 AM

Sign me up.

DaKCMan AP 09-18-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8924717)
And DaKC, yes to Holgorsen. Woody Hayes has been dead a long time. I'll take a guy like Urban Meyer or Holgorsen who are basically re-inventing the game. (And Holgorsen's offense is almost a 50/50 run/pass system, so it's not like he's just popping short bubble screens all day long. Go watch Smith/WV. He airs it out. A lot.)

No. You want to bring in Holgorsen as an OC, fine. HC - No.

I don't want some guy who has never had any position in the NFL - ever. Coaching college kids is not the same as coaching grown men. Unless you've been with the NFL in some capacity I don't see you getting the respect of the locker room. Remind me again, how many college coaches with no previous NFL experience - ever - have gone on to success as NFL HC's?

saphojunkie 09-18-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 8924700)
I think what's interesting is that what you mentioned is common in the spread system.

But guess what... The spread is in fully effect in the NFL with several teams running it. It's as friendly of a QB system there is and it's a QB league. So why not adopt it.

Not the pistol.

I'm not saying the guy isn't good or won't be good or anything of that nature.

We'll see.

-King- 09-18-2012 10:57 AM

Have you guys seen the 2018 Qb class?!?!?
Posted via Mobile Device