ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Teenaged Girl; Looks Bored; SHREDS Van Halen! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273285)

DaneMcCloud 05-23-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9702624)
Dane is jealous the little girl can shred better than him.

It's somewhat surprising that your real life takes are worse than your football takes.

I didn't think that would be possible.

gblowfish 05-23-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9703109)
Look, I'm going to put this in perspective for you guys.

There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of children under the age of ten years old that play classical piano competitively. They are amazing players that are judged in competitions. Some go on to schools like Juliard, some go the symphony, so and so forth. I'm talking amazingly talented.

This video is of a 14 year old that's "kind of" playing Eruption. Big deal. You can walk into just about any music store across the nation (if not the world) and hear kids playing Eruption and far more complicated guitar parts that are played much better.

But since her parents think she's "special", they've made videos of her to put on Youtube to "share" her "specialness". She's not special and personally, I think it's rather exploitative.

Now, as I said earlier, it would be impressive had she taken the techniques used by EVH and Steve Vai and countless others to create something new. Instead, it's a pale imitation.

That's an interesting perspective, I can see why you might say that. I still think the kid is quite talented, especially for her age.

mikeyis4dcats. 05-23-2013 11:16 AM

Guitar Hero has ruined the world for the working musician!

ModSocks 05-23-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9703109)
Look, I'm going to put this in perspective for you guys.

There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of children under the age of ten years old that play classical piano competitively. They are amazing players that are judged in competitions. Some go on to schools like Juliard, some go the symphony, so and so forth. I'm talking amazingly talented.

This video is of a 14 year old that's "kind of" playing Eruption. Big deal. You can walk into just about any music store across the nation (if not the world) and hear kids playing Eruption and far more complicated guitar parts that are played much better.

But since her parents think she's "special", they've made videos of her to put on Youtube to "share" her "specialness". She's not special and personally, I think it's rather exploitative.

Now, as I said earlier, it would be impressive had she taken the techniques used by EVH and Steve Vai and countless others to create something new. Instead, it's a pale imitation.

I agree with you to an extent. I agree that there are thousands of kids out there that are just as talented, or even more talented than this girl, and that you can walk into a guitar center and hear people shredding just like her.

But that shouldn't be a knock on this girl. Even if she isn't that special, it shouldn't take away from the fact that what she did isn't exactly easy. She put a lot of work and a ton of practice into that im sure.

DaneMcCloud 05-23-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9703123)
That's an interesting perspective, I can see why you might say that. I still think the kid is quite talented, especially for her age.

Here's what it really comes down to: What is playing Eruption mean? In reality, it means nothing. If she was writing hit songs at age 14, that would show talent. Alanis Morissette was writing hit songs then and later sold more than 30 million records. People like Carol King were writing songs in her teens and sold millions upon millions of records and is absolutely amazing. Jackson Browne signed his first publishing deal as a teenager and wrote hit songs. That's real talent.

To further that, I've got a good friend that's a talent manager that signed not one, but two bands in the past six months to major label record deals (Warner Brothers and Uni) that feature kids still in high school (although the lead singer of one of the bands is graduating next month). Again, that's real talent.

Copying a 35 year old guitar solo does not display talent, IMO. It's a parlor trick.

DaneMcCloud 05-23-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9703134)
I agree with you to an extent. I agree that there are thousands of kids out there that are just as talented, or even more talented than this girl, and that you can walk into a guitar center and hear people shredding just like her.

I'm not "knocking her" per se, I'm just trying to diffuse the "OMG, she is SO TALENTED" nonsense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9703134)
She put a lot of work and a ton of practice into that im sure.

If that's the case (and I have absolutely no idea), then she's not a natural. Also, you can tell by the video that her sense of timing isn't quite right as well. EVH swings and plays "behind the beat". In the video, she doesn't have that going on.

IMO, the ability to "swing" and play behind the beat is one of the biggest indicators of musicianship, as is the ability to sing.

otherstar 05-23-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9703164)
I'm not "knocking her" per se, I'm just trying to diffuse the "OMG, she is SO TALENTED" nonsense.

If that's the case (and I have absolutely no idea), then she's not a natural. Also, you can tell by the video that her sense of timing isn't quite right as well. EVH swings and plays "behind the beat". In the video, she doesn't have that going on.

IMO, the ability to "swing" and play behind the beat is one of the biggest indicators of musicianship, as is the ability to sing.

You know nothing about music and you've just proved it. I suppose you'd say that this little 9 year old has "no talent" because she's not playing an original piece:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFiQ2gPSJDI

Singing has nothing to do with musicianship UNLESS that is your primary instrument. Mozart was a genuine musical genius but there is no record that he could sing well. Playing behind the beat is fine in rock, blues, and jazz, but NOT in all styles of music. You do not want to play behind the beat in symphonic music, for example.

DaneMcCloud 05-23-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otherstar (Post 9703198)
You know nothing about music and you've just proved it. I suppose you'd say that this little 9 year old has "no talent" because she's not playing an original piece:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFiQ2gPSJDI

Singing has nothing to do with musicianship UNLESS that is your primary instrument. Mozart was a genuine musical genius but there is no record that he could sing well. Playing behind the beat is fine in rock, blues, and jazz, but NOT in all styles of music. You do not want to play behind the beat in symphonic music, for example.

:facepalm:

Mother of God, you're an idiot.

otherstar 05-23-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9703233)
:facepalm:

Mother of God, you're an idiot.

You speak from experience, no? :spock:

vailpass 05-23-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9703114)
And the irony here is that EVH is an extremely "natural" player. Eruption was a second take. Spanish Fly was first take.

He is extremely musical, even when drunk off his ass. There are no words to describe his musical genius.

Met him once in a hotel room at 5 Seasons Center in cedar rapids, Iowa. Circa 1990. Bottle of Jack in his hand, guitar on bed, on phone fighting with Valerie. Dude is little.

DaneMcCloud 05-23-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otherstar (Post 9703279)
You speak from experience, no? :spock:

LMAO

Have you even read my posts, Dummy? Or is reading above your pay grade?

DaneMcCloud 05-23-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 9703303)
Met him once in a hotel room at 5 Seasons Center in cedar rapids, Iowa. Circa 1990. Bottle of Jack in his hand, guitar on bed, on phone fighting with Valerie. Dude is little.

Sounds like you met him on a good night. The dude was addicted to meth for years. I have so many stories I could share but won't, out of respect for the people he attempted to "embarrass".

I'm glad he's got his life back together because he was a nuclear mess.

Donger 05-23-2013 12:39 PM

Wow, she's amazingly talented.

Consistent1 05-23-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9703327)
Sounds like you met him on a good night. The dude was addicted to meth for years. I have so many stories I could share but won't, out of respect for the people he attempted to "embarrass".

I'm glad he's got his life back together because he was a nuclear mess.

I imagine being in a big time band would be hard on almost anyone as far as drug and alcohol usage. There aren't a whole lot of jobs out there where you can show up obviously drunk, or high, and still get to work that day.

DaneMcCloud 05-23-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Consistent1 (Post 9703424)
I imagine being in a big time band would be hard on almost anyone as far as drug and alcohol usage. There aren't a whole lot of jobs out there where you can show up obviously drunk, or high, and still get to work that day.

EVH's father began pouring him alcohol when he was ten years old. AVH became sober in the mid-80's and has stayed so since. EVH has been sober since around 2006.

That said, I think their father played a larger role in their alcoholism than being in a rock band.