ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV AVATAR 2 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=310339)

sully1983 09-25-2017 02:11 PM

Filming just started today (after months of pre production). James Cameron is set to make 4 sequels. Are you looking forward to the sequel(s)? I can't decide if he's either crazy or brilliant lol. At this point though, I think it would be foolish to bet against Cameron. People thought he was crazy making a 200 million dollar budget about a sinking ship and they thought Avatar would flop too (both are the highest grossest films of all time)

Avatar 2 will be in theaters December 18th, 2020.

I loved Avatar. I thought the 3rd act was worth the price of admission alone. Saw it twice in IMAX 3D (I very rarely would do something like that but I liked it so much the 1st time I had to see it again) So count me in on looking forward to the sequels.

Frazod 09-25-2017 02:51 PM

Dances with Blue Aliens Part 2? Yeah, I'll pass.

Bowser 09-25-2017 08:34 PM

I think I'm one of like three people in the world that wasn't blown away by Avatar, and movies like that are right in my wheelhouse. Probably won't see any of the sequels, just doesn't feel appealing to me.

Frazod 09-25-2017 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 13105934)
I think I'm one of like three people in the world that wasn't blown away by Avatar, and movies like that are right in my wheelhouse. Probably won't see any of the sequels, just doesn't feel appealing to me.

The first 20 minutes were amazing - the closest thing to the wonder I felt when the first time I saw Star Wars in the theater as a child. But after that, I realized that I'd already seen Avatar, since the plot was completely unoriginal and utterly predictable. I still can't believe Cameron invested all that effort on such brilliant visuals but apparently couldn't spare anything for a decent story writer. Sort of reminded me a Vermeil's Chief teams - great offense, no defense. He gave us half a team. Cameron gave us half a movie.

patteeu 09-25-2017 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13106193)
The first 20 minutes were amazing - the closest thing to the wonder I felt when the first time I saw Star Wars in the theater as a child. But after that, I realized that I'd already seen Avatar, since the plot was completely unoriginal and utterly predictable. I still can't believe Cameron invested all that effort on such brilliant visuals but apparently couldn't spare anything for a decent story writer. Sort of reminded me a Vermeil's Chief teams - great offense, no defense. He gave us half a team. Cameron gave us half a movie.

I saw it the same way. Maybe it's our age. Maybe people who saw it younger or who never saw a movie like Dances with Wolves might have liked it better.

Trent Green GOAT 09-25-2017 10:55 PM

The first was highly overrated.

The Franchise 09-25-2017 11:18 PM

I've still never seen the entire first one. And don't plan too.

ThaVirus 09-25-2017 11:47 PM

I liked the first one. I'll watch the second, though I'm really not sure where they'll take it.

Imon Yourside 09-26-2017 04:45 AM

I liked it ok, wasn't the best movie ever but it was good.

unlurking 09-26-2017 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 13106256)
I saw it the same way. Maybe it's our age. Maybe people who saw it younger or who never saw a movie like Dances with Wolves might have liked it better.

I enjoyed Avatar quite a bit. Saw it in the theater in 3D. Not being a fan of Kevin Costner, I never saw Dance with Wolves.

BucEyedPea 09-26-2017 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully1983 (Post 13105226)
Filming just started today (after months of pre production).

I'm sick of sequels. It's like Hollywood lacks material.
Also remakes that happen too soon, re-running TV programs into a movie etc.

Amnorix 09-26-2017 08:27 AM

I liked the first one quite a bit. Yeah, it's Pocohontas or Dances or Wolves all over again, but the reason why that story gets retold 100 times is because it's not actually a terrible story. The reason I liked Avatar is because the special effects were SO STUNNING that I was more than glad to get lost and immersed in that world he created.

(FTR, I thought Dances was Wolves was actually stunningly boring.)

Glad to watch the sequels. I have no idea if Cameron can even come close to matching what he did with the first one, but he's the Tom Brady of the movie-making world. It's just not real bright to bet against him at this point.

Frazod 09-26-2017 08:52 AM

Yeah, I always love the whole evil rich white people versus the poor noble downtrodden natives bit, brought to you, of course, by evil rich white people.

RINGLEADER 09-26-2017 09:12 AM

I think it's an incredibly risky bet by the studio but as the OP stated it's hard to bet against Cameron. One of the reasons Avatar did so well was because it was the killer app to showcase the new wave of 3D movies so not sure how much people are really dying to see a sequel (much less 4!) but will be great fun to see what happens if the first follow-up struggles.

I have many friends who worked on the original and the stories they tell about Cameron. Dude sounds like a mad genius...

BWillie 09-26-2017 09:41 AM

Great movie. I even hate Star Wars. Yet loved Avatar.

Beef Supreme 09-26-2017 03:51 PM

Electric Boogaloo.

Deberg_1990 09-26-2017 04:37 PM

I love Cameron, but would prefer him to work on other projects. Hes not getting any younger and this is going to take up so much of his time.

I wouldnt bet against him though, im sure these films will be big hits.

But its weird, i feel like no one was asking for sequels were they?

Is Disney throwing him a bunch of money because they feel like they have to justify their investment in 'Avatar World' at Animal Kingdom??

Bowser 09-26-2017 08:42 PM

Quote:

Perfect comparison. Nailed it.

And I realized I had seen it as well while I was watching it. Avatar was ****ing Fern Gully set in space.

DaneMcCloud 09-27-2017 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 13107481)
I love Cameron, but would prefer him to work on other projects. Hes not getting any younger and this is going to take up so much of his time.

Dude, he came up with the concept and has a $1 billion dollar budget for these films. The writer's room he's put together to realize this concept is amazing.

Also, he's already announced a new Terminator trilogy starring Linda Hamilton and Arnold.

Quote:

But its weird, i feel like no one was asking for sequels were they?

It's highest grossing movie of all time. Cameron knew that he was going to do at least two sequels, now it's four.

Quote:

Is Disney throwing him a bunch of money because they feel like they have to justify their investment in 'Avatar World' at Animal Kingdom??

From my understanding, Disney will distribute the movies but Cameron is self-financing, just like George Lucas did with Star Wars.

DaneMcCloud 09-27-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 13107897)

And I realized I had seen it as well while I was watching it. Avatar was ****ing Fern Gully set in space.

I get that but it was still really cool and the visuals were amazing.

The sequels will have underwater sequences, which should be a treat for the eyes.

What I didn't realize, and this was completely and totally unnecessary to the film, is that there is an exorbitant amount of swearing and it doesn't further the film at all.

I didn't realize it until I tried to show my oldest the film and thought "Whoa, I don't remember this at all".

Hopefully, they tone that down in the sequels.

Chief Pagan 09-27-2017 04:50 PM

I saw it in 3D at a regular theater and was so blown away by the special effects that I saw it in 3D at IMAX also. For that point in time, the visual were pretty amazing.

Yea, the plot was meh. The funny thing is that he had to fight to get this plot. From my vague recollections of an interview he did on Charley Rose: the studio was afraid it was too pro-environment/anti-colonists and they wanted to change it to make the military the good guys and turn it into a patriotic, rah-rah film.

If he really manages to push the envelope again on movie technology, I could be enticed to see it. But I doubt it happens. Sequels usually have worse plots and the original already set a really low bar.

Deberg_1990 09-27-2017 05:42 PM

Wish they would have made a True Lies 2.

DaneMcCloud 09-27-2017 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 13109219)
Wish they would have made a True Lies 2.

It's currently ramping up as a TV series, produced by Cameron

Pants 09-27-2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

It was less of a movie for me and more of a ride. It was ****ing incredible. I don't think the story was supposed to be the appeal. Although, I, personally, didn't mind its triteness.

sully1983 09-28-2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 13109152)
I saw it in 3D at a regular theater and was so blown away by the special effects that I saw it in 3D at IMAX also. For that point in time, the visual were pretty amazing.

Yea, the plot was meh. The funny thing is that he had to fight to get this plot. From my vague recollections of an interview he did on Charley Rose: the studio was afraid it was too pro-environment/anti-colonists and they wanted to change it to make the military the good guys and turn it into a patriotic, rah-rah film.

If he really manages to push the envelope again on movie technology, I could be enticed to see it. But I doubt it happens. Sequels usually have worse plots and the original already set a really low bar.

I saw Avatar TWICE in IMAX 3D (I never do that until Avatar came around. What Cameron did was remarkable. made me feel like I was really there.)

also as far as sequels go, I agree that they are usually just cash grab crap BUT with James Cameron directing the sequels, I am fully confident he'll deliver the goods. He is the master at making sequels (Terminator 2 was fantastic . Ditto on Aliens as well) .

Eleazar 09-28-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 13107897)

Yeah, my first thought in reading this thread title was "Why?"

Of course, the amount of money it will make is the "why", even if it's also not a good movie. But the first one was so thin it almost wasn't even a movie.

I wonder if even the viewers who want to see films in 3D are accustomed to 3D now. Would Avatar today be even a blip?

Sure, I'm sure they will find a way to add some additional cool visuals, but the first one was probably the most disappointing film I can remember seeing since The Phantom Menace. I can't imagine going to a theater for a sequel.

Chief Pagan 09-28-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 13109533)
It was less of a movie for me and more of a ride. It was ****ing incredible. I don't think the story was supposed to be the appeal. Although, I, personally, didn't mind its triteness.

Right. And is that ride really going to be worth anything with 4 sequels with a story that will most likely get even more lame?

RINGLEADER 09-28-2017 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13108586)
From my understanding, Disney will distribute the movies but Cameron is self-financing, just like George Lucas did with Star Wars.

I thought Fox was financing and distributing again?

Don't know why he would self-finance given his deal on the last one.

DaneMcCloud 09-28-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 13110279)
I thought Fox was financing and distributing again?

Don't know why he would self-finance given his deal on the last one.

Oh, you're right, Fox. I was thrown off by the Disney thing.

Last I heard, Fox was pitching in around $300 million with Cameron to finance the rest. I don't know if that's still the case since he's now doing 4 sequels instead of 2.

I still don't know how they're going to get around the Stephen Lang thing, since you know, he was killed in the original but is supposedly still the baddie in the sequels.

Pants 09-28-2017 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 13110195)
Right. And is that ride really going to be worth anything with 4 sequels with a story that will most likely get even more lame?

To each their own, man.

Personally, I hope to see all of them in IMAX 3D.

DaneMcCloud 09-28-2017 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 13110195)

What has James Cameron done in his career that could even be remotely considered "lame"?

He didn't rush these sequels. They've been in development for the better part of eight years.

Aliens and T2, both of which were sequels, are on par with the original (if not better).

I don't get the skepticism.

Frazod 09-28-2017 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13110995)
What has James Cameron done in his career that could even be remotely considered "lame"?

He didn't rush these sequels. They've been in development for the better part of eight years.

Aliens and T2, both of which were sequels, are on par with the original (if not better).

His lamest movie was Avatar. That explains my skepticism.

DaneMcCloud 09-28-2017 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13111111)
His lamest movie was Avatar. That explains my skepticism.

LMAO

sully1983 10-03-2017 06:34 PM

This just keeps getting better. Kate Winslet joins the cast.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...iverse-1045509

SAGA45 10-03-2017 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 13106372)
I liked the first one. I'll watch the second, though I'm really not sure where they'll take it.

Me neither. Not sure how they advance the story and also improve on the first film

Deberg_1990 10-03-2017 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13111111)
His lamest movie was Avatar.

Piranha 2 says hi!

Rausch 10-04-2017 09:38 AM

Bullshit...

Halfcan 10-04-2017 10:38 AM

BWillie 10-04-2017 04:22 PM

:clap:ROFL:hmmm:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 13125050)
I plan on dropping some shrooms and watching this on the Giant Screen at Union Station.

btw- does anyone have some shrooms?

Chief Pagan 10-04-2017 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 13125050)
I plan on dropping some shrooms and watching this on the Giant Screen at Union Station.

btw- does anyone have some shrooms?

Well, it did make the first one at IMAX really mind blowing.

Um, according to my friend...

JD10367 10-04-2017 05:04 PM

I had the pleasure of running "Avatar" in IMAX 3D. In that format, with what was then cutting-edge computer graphics, it was amazing. It felt like you were there. The colors, the 3D, the whole world they created. The story? "Dances With Wolves" meets "Ferngully", it was a perfectly acceptable story for a leftist tree-hugger like myself.

But it was a one-shot. It's amazing success is not the kind of thing you can recreate. The technology is no longer fascinating. The story cannot be retold. Even the most ardent lovers of the first film really don't give a shit about the characters. Not to mention the first film is already EIGHT ****ING YEARS OLD. And if December 2020 is accurate it'll be ELEVEN years in between films. It's going to bomb, and bomb tremendously.

DaneMcCloud 10-04-2017 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 13125733)
It's going to bomb, and bomb tremendously.

LMAO

JD10367 10-04-2017 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13110995)

Both those sequels came out 7 years later, not 11.

Both those original films had complex and interesting plots, not "Dances With Blue People".

Both those original films had blockbuster stars.

Both those sequels had stories which expanded the original and were interesting. What's this gonna be? "AVATAR 2! Now, they're in space!" Blech.

It's gonna cost $250M to make and $300M to advertise and will probably gross less than that total.

DaneMcCloud 10-04-2017 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 13125948)
Both those sequels came out 7 years later, not 11.

Both those original films had complex and interesting plots, not "Dances With Blue People".

Both those original films had blockbuster stars.

Both those sequels had stories which expanded the original and were interesting. What's this gonna be? "AVATAR 2! Now, they're in space!" Blech.

It's gonna cost $250M to make and $300M to advertise and will probably gross less than that total.

You're out of your mind.

vailpass 10-04-2017 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13125969)
You're out of your mind.

Is his $300M ad budget statement close to accurate?

DaneMcCloud 10-04-2017 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13125989)
Is his $300M ad budget statement close to accurate?

I think that’s probably a massive overstatement. Plus, since they’re filming four new sequels, the budget will likely decrease with each as people will be anticipating the next film.

Also, there will be different environments explored, not “space”. One of the environments will be an ocean and James Cameron is a master.

Look no further than The Abyss.

Plus, he continues to add talent, as Kate Winslett was announced in the past 24 hours.

I’m stoked.

vailpass 10-04-2017 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13125999)
I think that’s probably a massive overstatement. Plus, since they’re filming four new sequels, the budget will likely decrease with each as people will be anticipating the next film.

Also, there will be different environments explored, not “space”. One of the environments will be an ocean and James Cameron is a master.

Plus, he continues to add talent, as Kate Winslett was announced in the past 24 hours.

I’m stoked.

Thanks, just curious how large the ad budgets are for the majors.
FWIW I'm far from a film buff but i very much enjoyed Avatar, watched it twice with my son.

Frazod 10-04-2017 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13125999)

I’m stoked.

I'm betting he won't be adding Ed Harris to the ocean sequel. :D

BWillie 02-16-2019 02:00 PM

Looks like this thing is finally going to come out Dec 2020. First one was such a beautiful film

sully1983 02-16-2019 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14109959)
Looks like this thing is finally going to come out Dec 2020. First one was such a beautiful film

Hell yeah . Forgot I made this thread lol.

Between Avatar 2 & Dune , I think 2020 is gonna be one hell of a year for sci fi.:clap:

I'm esp stoked what James Cameron has up his sleeves for the sequel. He's hinted at some jaw dropping underwater sequences . He even threw out a backhanded comment on the underwater scenes in Aquaman recently ROFL

Cameron is a record-setting underwater diver himself and knows a thing or two about filming beneath the sea with The Abyss, his various documentaries, and the upcoming Avatar sequels, and this is one reason why Aquaman wouldn’t have been a film he would make:

“I’ve spent thousands of hours underwater and I’m very literal about my underwater. It needs to look like it’s real and while I can enjoy that film [Aquaman], I don’t resonate with it because it doesn’t look real. By the way, it doesn’t actually help us with our issues of actually understanding the ocean and exploring the ocean and preserving the ocean. Although they did throw in a couple of things with whales and things like that to remind us that we are kind of using the ocean as a toilet and as a garbage dump, so I applaud the film for that.

“Yeah, I couldn’t have made that movie.”

We will get to see Cameron’s next take on an underwater blockbuster spectacle when his Avatar sequels release starting in December 2020.

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2019/...rwater-scenes/

ThaVirus 02-16-2019 09:57 PM

Avatar underwater? Why underwater?

Frazod 02-16-2019 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 14110583)

Well, they like ripping off old Kevin Kostner movies.

Perhaps the next one will rip off Waterworld.

srvy 02-16-2019 10:48 PM

I hated Avatar and is 3rd time the charm on Dune. Dune was a great series of books that just doesnt translate to film well it seems.

Frazod 02-17-2019 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 14110638)
I hated Avatar and is 3rd time the charm on Dune. Dune was a great series of books that just doesnt translate to film well it seems.

Could give a **** about Avatar, but as for Dune, I'm very cautiously optimistic. It's the same director that did the new Blade Runner movie, which I loved.

Maybe he'll get it right. Maybe he has enough respect/reverence for the source material not to **** it up. Maybe there won't be stupid shit like weirding modules and heart plugs. Maybe the Baron will actually be sinister instead of ridiculous. And maybe the desert scenes won't look like they were filmed in an abandoned warehouse with a couple of dump truck loads of sand like the Sci-Fi series.

Maybe.

Fish 02-17-2019 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 14110583)

Climate change, bro. That's how serious....:D

MarkDavis'Haircut 02-17-2019 05:55 AM

Avatar was cliched junk. The typical mighty whitey is a bad guy story and the natives are the good guys.

Atlantis the Lost Empire did the same storyline but way better and way more entertaining.

ThaVirus 02-17-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14110628)

I'm down lol I always liked Waterworld

sully1983 02-17-2019 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14110628)

LMAO ha I didn't even think of that.

Fish 02-17-2019 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 14110786)
I'm down lol I always liked Waterworld

I did too. Thought the idea was really cool. It was a little clunky, and took lots of criticism for the price tag. But a lot of that was due to hurricanes destroying the sets.

Ever heard of the Ulysses cut?

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...cially.777996/

keg in kc 02-17-2019 11:58 AM

Hard to believe it's already been a decade since the first one.

Deberg_1990 12-19-2021 10:29 AM

I believe this is a year away. But they are starting to show some promotional art now.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">ICYMI — Check out these stunning concept art images from Avatar 2! <a href="https://t.co/QVVK8cVU21">pic.twitter.com/QVVK8cVU21</a></p>&mdash; Avatar (@officialavatar) <a href="https://twitter.com/officialavatar/status/1437807131856564227?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 14, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/JimCameron?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@JimCameron</a> recently sat down with <a href="https://twitter.com/EW?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@EW</a> and shared a few exclusive photos from the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AvatarSequels?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#AvatarSequels</a>. Check out the photos �� and read James Cameron&#39;s interview here:<a href="https://t.co/zdhrBvUKG5">https://t.co/zdhrBvUKG5</a> <a href="https://t.co/NyaNjWxPoY">pic.twitter.com/NyaNjWxPoY</a></p>&mdash; Avatar (@officialavatar) <a href="https://twitter.com/officialavatar/status/1470875216871972865?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 14, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ninerfan11 12-19-2021 03:48 PM

First one was complete trash lol.

MarkDavis'Haircut 12-19-2021 04:33 PM

Can't wait for more white man/colonist bad claptrap.

Chiefspants 12-19-2021 04:38 PM

Meh

ThaVirus 12-19-2021 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carr4MVP (Post 16022072)
Can't wait for more white man/colonist bad claptrap.

This is a reach. It's humans colonizing an alien planet.. has nothing to do with white people specifically.

Gravedigger 12-20-2021 03:17 PM

Honestly this film better hope it doesn't get trashed in reviews. Waiting like 20 years for the next installment only for it to suck would be Duke Nukem levels of hilarious disappointment. James Cameron has been hyping this film for so long but taking the George R.R Martin approach in productivity.

BWillie 12-20-2021 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninerfan11 (Post 16021954)
First one was complete trash lol.

I don't get this. Not many people hated on the movie when it first came out, but as time goes by more and more people mock it.

I really don't understand what is so bad about it. It's James Cameron near his best. And there is so much they can do with it for sequels.

-King- 12-21-2021 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 16025257)
I don't get this. Not many people hated on the movie when it first came out, but as time goes by more and more people mock it.

I really don't understand what is so bad about it. It's James Cameron near his best. And there is so much they can do with it for sequels.

Cause it's alien Pocahontas.

The visuals are really cool though if you have a good set up. That's basically the only reason I'll end up watching the 2nd one. Just to see how far Cameron takes the visuals and how much bigger they make that world.

Bowser 12-21-2021 11:39 PM

Avatar 2: Environmental Boogaloo

This time the aliens symbiotically connected to their planet and its ecosystem are REALLY mad!!

Tribal Warfare 12-22-2021 03:09 AM

Quote:

Dances With Wolves with Outerspace Aliens

BWillie 12-22-2021 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 16027859)
Dances With Wolves with Outerspace Aliens

Yes. And so what.

unlurking 12-22-2021 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 16027879)
Yes. And so what.

This. I find Costner extremely grating and annoying so never watched Dance with Wolves. Who cares if it's about "Outerspace Aliens", I love SciFi.

Imon Yourside 12-22-2021 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 16027760)
Avatar 2: Environmental Boogaloo

This time the aliens symbiotically connected to their planet and its ecosystem are REALLY mad!!

I'm just pissed the videogame has been delayed 4 years or so, I couldn't care less about the movies but ya I could care less about the videogame from Massive.

Chief Pagan 12-22-2021 05:15 PM

Quote:

So I read back through this complete thread. I previously posted how blown away I was by the special effects for when they came out and how meh the plot was.

If all you got is special effects, that doesn't usually age well. Not too many think the King Kong from the 30's or Godzilla films from the 50's are the all time cinematic masterpieces of that era.

Tribal Warfare 12-22-2021 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 16028793)
So I read back through this complete thread. I previously posted how blown away I was by the special effects for when they came out and how meh the plot was.

If all you got is special effects, that doesn't usually age well. Not too many think the King Kong from the 30's or Godzilla films from the 50's are the all time cinematic masterpieces of that era.

Wizard of Oz

sully1983 01-12-2022 07:52 PM

Quote:

Exactly! Avatar came out way back in 2009 and the cgi was so jaw dropping and were so great that the word of mouth from movie goers was off the charts. It was that whole "You have to see it to believe it" sorta thing. And so many people saw it in IMAX 3D (which is the way James Cameron intended for the audience to see it in)

Its now the year 2022 and technology has come soooo far since 2009 . Can you imagine how good the special effects will be for the sequels.:eek: Cameron has always been known to push the envelope with making movie magic (his filmography speaks for itself ). So I can't wait to see what Cameron has up his sleeve with the sequels. I know he's hinted that he's going to have some insane under water action scenes that sound really cool .

Here's a pic of Kate Winslet (yes you read that right. Kate Winslet from Titanic has a role in Avatar 2 haha) that went viral awhile back filming a scene under water.
https://i.gadgets360cdn.com/large/av...3778825494.jpg
Apparently she beat Tom Cruise's record for an actor/actress holding their breath under water while being filmed. (something like over 6 minutes :eek: my stoner ass couldn't come close to that haha)
Honestly, the ONLY thing that gives me pause is the child actors. I normally can't stand child actors and find them to usually be annoying but there's been some good ones over the years. Hopefully they won't have big parts.

I totally forgot I made this thread (way back in 2017:banghead:) Its now coming out December 2022. I pray to God it doesn't get delayed for the millionth time. But with this shitty pandemic you never know. Feels like I've been waiting 84 years for this shit.
https://c.tenor.com/FYeEj8puxrwAAAAM...ep-titanic.gif
Hoping its good!

Pants 01-12-2022 10:32 PM

Ya. I can't wait to go on that beautiful ride again.

Chief Pagan 01-13-2022 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 16028870)
Wizard of Oz

Wizard of Oz didn't stay famous decade after decade merely because of special effects.

It really did capture hearts and minds with the characters and story.

Pay no attention to the wizard behind the curtain.

Toto we're not in Kansas anymore.

The wicked witch is dead.

What similar scene from Avatar would ever have similar staying power?

And then it became famous because it was a part of the American Canon that everyone knew.

I guess a counter example is 2001 Space Odyssey. The book was reasonable but the movie didn't age well as it's not much more than special effects.
However, it shows up on a surprising number of top 100 movie lists of critics that I would guess haven't seen it in thirty+ years.

MarkDavis'Haircut 01-14-2022 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16022147)
This is a reach. It's humans colonizing an alien planet.. has nothing to do with white people specifically.

Anything with colonialism in modern Hollywood that is negative is white guilt/boo the white man. That is the subtext.

It is pretty blatant.

Like I have said before. Avatar had ground breaking efforts with a hack plot. Once you get past the smoke and mirrors, there is simply nothing present to keep people engaged.

Third Eye 01-14-2022 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 16073359)
I guess a counter example is 2001 Space Odyssey… the movie didn't age well as it's not much more than special effects.

I’m sorry, but what??? Are you sure you’re thinking of the right movie?