ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Gasoline at $4 Coming to a Pump Near You, Unfazed by Rising Tab (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=161736)

Donger 05-02-2007 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser
Refineries here, or refineries worldwide?

See, I'm not sure what all is the reason gas has risen so sharply. First, it was the whole Iraq ordeal. Then, it was the hurricanes. Then, it was China and Indonesia and their consumption rates. Then, it was the threat of Iran doing something stupid. Now, OUR refineries aren't being used at full capacity. I count two of those five reasons being domestic problems.

I call bullshit. Have they given a plausible reason as to why our refineries are operating at a reduced capacity?

Our domestic refineries. When you have any machine that's operating 24/7 at 100%, it's eventually going to break or occasionally need significant maintenance. That's happening now.

The price of crude is still the primary culprit behind high gasoline prices, but this is an example of how the refining component can come into play.

Here are some fun facts:

The current refinery squeeze has been building for years. For the past two decades, deregulation and low profits have combined to push the industry into consolidation. Partly because of environmental regulations, it was cheaper to expand existing refineries than to build new ones. In 1981, the US had 324 refineries with a total capacity of 18.6 million barrels per day, the Department of Energy reports. Today, there are just 132 oil refineries with a capacity of 16.8 million b.p.d., according to Oil and Gas Journal, a trade publication.

Bowser 05-02-2007 11:39 AM

"Low profits"? Now I REALLY call bullshit.

Donger 05-02-2007 11:40 AM

Quote:

"Low profits"? Now I REALLY call bullshit.

Like most people, I can assume that you weren't aware that oil companies are not always profitable?

go bo 05-02-2007 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod
I'm doing what I can. I'm driving less and putting E85 in my car. I'd rather see my fuel money go to Iowa rednecks than terrorist-supporting Arabs.

i read somewhere that e85 requires some additional parts for the fuel system and motor...

is the motor in your car designed to use e85?

apparently there's something about damaging the engine if you don't have it set up (at the factory) for it...

Pitt Gorilla 05-02-2007 11:55 AM

E85 can only be used by engines built for E85. However, those same engines can burn regular gasoline as well.

Donger 05-04-2007 10:28 AM

The national average retail price hit $3.012/gallon today.

sd4chiefs 05-04-2007 11:02 AM

There is a Shell station in San Diego at I-5 and Del Mar Heights RD that sells gas about 35 to 40 cents higher than other stations in the area. Yesterday they were selling premium at $3.97 a gallon. I have to put premium in my car and I paid $3.55 for it. Ouch!

The Franchise 05-04-2007 11:18 AM

Just saw regular gas at $3.40 a gallon up here. It was at a gas station that is over priced though....so take it for what its worth.

Dunit35 05-04-2007 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go bo
i read somewhere that e85 requires some additional parts for the fuel system and motor...

is the motor in your car designed to use e85?

apparently there's something about damaging the engine if you don't have it set up (at the factory) for it...

I'm pretty sure he had a thread awhile back that said he has an impala that runs on e85. I could be wrong though.

Donger 05-04-2007 11:51 AM

Just as a reference, gasoline is $0.20 higher per gallon than it was last year at this time. Here's hoping that we don't have any major hurricanes in the Gulf this season either.

Calcountry 05-04-2007 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla
E85 can only be used by engines built for E85. However, those same engines can burn regular gasoline as well.

O.K., econ students. E85, is a "substitute good" for gasoline, so, can anyone tell me what will happen to the price of E85, regardless of the cost to produce it, if Gasoline continues to rise to obscene prices, say, 5 buck a gallon?

Bugeater 05-04-2007 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger
Just as a reference, gasoline is $0.20 higher per gallon than it was last year at this time. Here's hoping that we don't have any major hurricanes in the Gulf this season either.

Unless you're in the oil industry, then you're praying for it.

Donger 05-04-2007 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Carlson the Bugeater

They don't particularly like it when their rigs are destroyed, but yes, they would benefit from the increased price of crude that would result.

Calcountry 05-04-2007 04:20 PM

Quote:

Refineries here, or refineries worldwide?

See, I'm not sure what all is the reason gas has risen so sharply. First, it was the whole Iraq ordeal. Then, it was the hurricanes. Then, it was China and Indonesia and their consumption rates. Then, it was the threat of Iran doing something stupid. Now, OUR refineries aren't being used at full capacity. I count two of those five reasons being domestic problems.

I call bullshit. Have they given a plausible reason as to why our refineries are operating at a reduced capacity?

Fine, Gas companies really are evil, and they are pissed the democrats took over and they are giving it to you in the ass to teach you a lesson.

There, do you feel better now?

Calcountry 05-04-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Carlson the Bugeater

Of course, us liberals KNOW that praying will do no good, but using only one square of toilette paper, will definitely help reduce the number of Hurricanes caused by mankinds ruthless destruction of the environment, which we all know CAUSED the globe to heat .10 degrees C in the last 100 years, and THAT was what caused all the 'canes 2 years ago.