ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV What was your favorite episode of Star Trek: TNG? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=242807)

BigRedChief 03-16-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 7494893)
I also liked the one where Picard lives an entire lifetime in just a few minutes.

The Inner Light?

The one where he plays the flute. Some of the best tv ever done.

Picard clutching that flute to his chest at the end of the episode and starting to play it, was very powerful TV. His acting chops certaintly helped.

Deberg_1990 03-16-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 7494994)
heh, yea....that was around 1990 or so right? Pre internet era....you know, before spoilers, when you actually had to wait until something was broadcast or shown in theaters to know all the secrets. It was painful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClayWhit (Post 7494995)
I think the reason most people had that reaction to Best of Both Worlds is Patrick Stewart.

People were emotionally attached to the character of Picard.

What a great actor...

If this episode was broadcast in todays age, we all would have known about what happens 3 or 4 months in advance.

Crush 03-16-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7494992)
DS9 was generally pretty lame until Worf joined the cast. Then they got dark and bloody and it rocked pretty much constantly until the end. Sisko had a mean streak that sort of set him apart from the other series leads. I liked it.

Indeed.

As for DS9, Dukat announcing that the Cardassians were voluntarily joining the Dominion is one of the greatest "Oh Shit" moments in TV history.

Hammock Parties 03-16-2011 07:20 PM

"The Sons of Soong have joined together...and together, we will destroy the Federation."

Another great cliffhanger line.

keg in kc 03-16-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 7495014)
If this episode was broadcast in todays age, we all would have known about what happens 3 or 4 months in advance.

Hell, there probably would have been a production copy on torrent sites months before it aired. It's made television very hard to watch these days. You always know what's coming.

Though I think at the same time that's what makes the really good shows these days stand out.

Frazod 03-16-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 7494993)
You know what it also is? It's the music score. There's something about the crescendo after Riker delivers that line (very well, might I add, considering Frakes is a method-acting whore) and the fade to black and the font and text of "TO BE CONTINUED..." I can't quite put my finger on it, but I do know that if Ron Jones didn't write the music the way he did it wouldn't be as hair-raising as it is.

That was one of the best sequences in any TV or movie, ever. The camera panning slowly around towards Riker, Shelby whipping around waiting for his order.... and then the single word command, perfectly delivered. damn. Doesn't get any better than that.

keg in kc 03-16-2011 07:23 PM

Rare flashback for me this thread is sparking (I don't remember a whole lot, generally - brain like swiss cheese...). But I was such a nerd back then. I used to have a book with blueprints of the Enterprise D.

RealSNR 03-16-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 7494988)
I did not like the episode where Riker fell for that bi sexual tranny alien or whatever that was, he was a mans man. Always getting the ladies.

I LOVE this scene in Best of Both Worlds. Riker's probably my favorite human character

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Cq693K6GEaw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frazod 03-16-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 7495015)
Indeed.

As for DS9, Dukat announcing that the Cardassians were voluntarily joining the Dominion is one of the greatest "Oh Shit" moments in TV history.

He was another one of my favorite recurring characters. It really bummed me out when he went 100% dark side. But it did make for some great drama.

Too bad DS9 isn't broadcast regularly the way Next Generation is. I don't think I've seen the later episodes of DS9 more than a couple of times each. My favorite episodes of NG I've watched... hell, dozens of times.

keg in kc 03-16-2011 07:24 PM

I always liked him because he played a trombone. This was back in my own trombone playing days. I haven't touched the thing in almost 15 years now.

Deberg_1990 03-16-2011 07:24 PM

Did anybody like Voyager? I think thats when Star Trek "jumped the shark"

Frazod 03-16-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7495032)
Rare flashback for me this thread is sparking (I don't remember a whole lot, generally - brain like swiss cheese...). But I was such a nerd back then. I used to have a book with blueprints of the Enterprise D.

Heh. I have the blueprints and technical manuals from both the original series and NG.

Frazod 03-16-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 7495040)

**** Voyager. Do Gooders Lost in Space. 4321

keg in kc 03-16-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 7495040)

Not much.

I really liked Enterprise at the end. They fixed that series just in time to get it cancelled. The last season was not far behind some of the best of TNG and DS9.

The key factor, I think, in all their best runs being conflict.

But there's one other factor that I think killed Enterprise, and that was the lame-ass theme song. I don't think series with lame-ass theme songs ever survive. I still think Firefly would have made it without the country theme (although I like the song).

Good shows always seem to have good music. Or maybe I'm just biased. Or maybe I just forget the bad music.

Frazod 03-16-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 7495034)
I LOVE this scene in Best of Both Worlds. Riker's probably my favorite human character

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Cq693K6GEaw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's really too bad that Shelby wasn't in any more episodes. IIRC Elizabeth Dennehy had no interest in doing anything else.