ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life How Close Have You Come to Death? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=322353)

TinyEvel 04-16-2019 04:45 AM

How Close Have You Come to Death?

Spinning off the car surfing teen thread...

What’s your story of the closest you’ve come to dieing?

Between all of us I’m sure there’s a decent mix from Darwin-award candidate behavior to emergency quadruple bypass patients.

Also: take a moment to be grateful to be alive. Every day is a gift.

JD10367 04-16-2019 04:53 AM

Couple of near-misses in cars in the snow. One time I did a 360 on a busy highway and barely pulled out of the way of an oncoming semi; another time I slid sideways across a bridge in the south during a freak snowstorm and almost nailed some crashed cars at the end. In both times I didn't actually hit anything, though. (The only actual accident I've ever been in was an old lady running a red light on her way to get donuts who totaled the front of my car.)

Oh, wait. There was the time in the 80s that I took my Houston-native girlfriend to an Oilers-Pats game in old Sullivan Stadium in Foxboro (back when the Pats sucked, and lots of drunks filled the stands), and the Oilers kicked the shit out of them and she cheered the whole time, nearly getting us killed...

TinyEvel 04-16-2019 04:54 AM

Mine: I was in high school, it was a week before graduation and I was riding my 10-speed bike home from work at night.

I was approaching an intersection and the light turned green for me. As I entered the intersection I noticed in my peripheral vision a car going about 50 MPH from my right with no sign of slowing or stopping.
I squeezed both brakes as hard as I could and slid back on the bike seat as far as I could. It was a 4x4 truck, like a huge early 80s Chevy - a rectangle on wheels — blows past right in front of me and the front tire of my bike grazed the back wheel of the truck as it flew past.

I was frozen there. I looked up to make sure my light was green. It was. There was actually a car stopped at the light, in the next lane. The driver and I looked at each other like “holy ****”

If I hadn’t seen him coming, or reacted a split second late, they’d be cleaning me out of his radiator. It took me about ten minutes before I finished riding home.

Hog's Gone Fishin 04-16-2019 05:19 AM

Too many times to list.

ChiefsHawk 04-16-2019 05:44 AM

Broke my neck when I was 17. My body temp was in the 70's. Was dead for around a minute while in the life flight on the way to the hospital.

displacedinMN 04-16-2019 05:46 AM

twice

As a baby. Going to church. No kids seats. I was in my sisters arms in the front seat. Dad pulled out in front of someone. We got t-boned. Sis and I hit the dash. I was given mouth to mouth by my dad and the a person that lived on the corner..

In Glacier park 1975. I was 6. I was Standing on a rock overlooking the cliff. Someone bumped someone who bumped me. Caught my balance. Thought I was going over. I am not sure if anyone would have seen me go over. Still not afraid of heights.

MVChiefFan 04-16-2019 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsHawk (Post 14208534)
Broke my neck when I was 17. My body temp was in the 70's. Was dead for around a minute while in the life flight on the way to the hospital.

Winner!!! Since you actually died.

Red Dawg 04-16-2019 05:55 AM

IED nearly got me in 2008 on Tampa. Spooky times.

mdchiefsfan 04-16-2019 05:56 AM

I think the truly frightening thing is most of us probably don’t even know the true answer to this question.

lewdog 04-16-2019 05:58 AM

Bored to death reading most DeBerg threads.

TinyEvel 04-16-2019 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsHawk (Post 14208534)

Wow. Did you fully recover? While technically dead did you have any tunnel of light experience?

Fire Me Boy! 04-16-2019 06:05 AM

In 1995, flipped my car end over end, with a roll at the end. Came away with a few scratches.

In 2014, double pneumonia and renal failure. Blood O2 in the 50s. Eight days in ICU.

Kman34 04-16-2019 06:06 AM

I was pretty close in 93, 97, and 14.. but Mahomes give me something to live for..

Coyote 04-16-2019 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 14208541)
IED nearly got me in 2008 on Tampa. Spooky times.

I assume you are talking about MSR Tampa/Baghdad Airport Road (previously Saddam airport prior to us renaming the airport) or maybe Florida in/out of SOCOM and CENTCOM. Both were spooky. Thank you.

Red Dawg 04-16-2019 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coyote (Post 14208552)
I assume you are talking about MSR Tampa/Baghdad Airport Road (previously Saddam airport prior to us renaming the airport) or maybe Florida in/out of SOCOM and CENTCOM. Both were spooky. Thank you.

Yup. It wasn't just Baghdad. Tampa was the big one. Ran North and South almost all the way to Kuwait.