ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Funny Stuff Did you ever build forts and tunnels in straw or haymows after baling season? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=325870)

Hog Rider 10-12-2019 03:57 PM

Did you ever build forts and tunnels in straw or haymows after baling season?

In my youth, after baling and filling the barns we would pull off a bunch of bales and incorporate rooms connected with tunnels and hidden entrances. Using wood to help support the ceilings. It could be scary as hell crawling deep inside hoping your brothers didn't trap you. But it was a great time. Flashlights weren't what they are today and it didn't take long to start dimming. We knew candles were a bad idea - today's kids?- probably burn themselves alive. Stupid effers.

seclark 10-12-2019 04:17 PM

Hell yes.
And it wasn’t even our straw.
Sec

Rain Man 10-12-2019 04:44 PM

That sounds like a good way to get eaten by cattle.

Where I grew up, there were generally two types of jobs for teenage boys: baling hay or working fast food. My dad was a manager at a fast food place so he pulled me into that world. I was a bit envious of the guys who would go bale all summer and come back to school with muscles, but I also knew that I would sunburn to the point of spontaneous combustion if I tried working out in the fields. So I came back to school pasty white and smelling vaguely like onion rings.

srvy 10-12-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14518017)
That sounds like a good way to get eaten by cattle.

Where I grew up, there were generally two types of jobs for teenage boys: baling hay or working fast food. My dad was a manager at a fast food place so he pulled me into that world. I was a bit envious of the guys who would go bale all summer and come back to school with muscles, but I also knew that I would sunburn to the point of spontaneous combustion if I tried working out in the fields. So I came back to school pasty white and smelling vaguely like onion rings.

LMAO

Megatron96 10-12-2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 14517963)
Hell yes.
And it wasn’t even our straw.
Sec

Made me chuckle. I was also a member of the "use someone else's straw" to make hay tunnels. Great fun.

scho63 10-12-2019 05:05 PM

I bet some of you guys made tunnels of hay, hung out with you buddies deep inside and when the flashlights started to dim, you practiced kissing with each other so you could be ready for when the little girls started calling. :D

Fess up boys! :p

38yrsfan 10-12-2019 05:16 PM

My dad was lifer military but farm raised. Every year we could get there, it was a trek to the farm to help with the summer chores. We had extensive tunnels and rooms built into the bales also!

Barn was big and builtin hilly country - both levels had direct tractor access so unloading was easier. Miss those days.

Megatron96 10-12-2019 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 14518056)
I bet some of you guys made tunnels of hay, hung out with you buddies deep inside and when the flashlights started to dim, you practiced kissing with each other so you could be ready for when the little girls started calling. :D

Fess up boys! :p

No, but I learned that there other things one can do with flashlights when the batteries run out . . . your girlfriend showed me one time. :p

Buehler445 10-12-2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Rider (Post 14517940)
In my youth, after baling and filling the barns we would pull off a bunch of bales and incorporate rooms connected with tunnels and hidden entrances. Using wood to help support the ceilings. It could be scary as hell crawling deep inside hoping your brothers didn't trap you. But it was a great time. Flashlights weren't what they are today and it didn't take long to start dimming. We knew candles were a bad idea - today's kids?- probably burn themselves alive. Stupid effers.

To be fair, my aunt and uncle (75 and 73 now) were playing with fire and burned all of grandpas hay when they were kids.

I didn’t know about that until a couple years ago. I laughed. Hard. Grandpa was wound pretty tight at that point in his life.

Buehler445 10-12-2019 06:08 PM

I’m young enough grandpa had big rounds by the time I was old enough to misbehave.

alpha_omega 10-12-2019 06:28 PM

Sounds like it would have been fun, but we were city folk.

Chief Northman 10-13-2019 12:55 AM

Ahhhh baling hay and straw.

I loved the alfalfa smell, hated the sweat, dust and straw itch, but it was awesome to get pulled from school because “weather was cooperating”, and there’s something about finishing a field that just leaves one satisfied.
Busting shear pins before I was old enough to fix them myself sucked though, because my old man would get pissy....”Christ - how fast are you going? Slow down!....”

Abba-Dabba 10-13-2019 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 14518164)
Sounds like it would have been fun, but we were city folk.

So you made forts out of bed sheets and fans instead?

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-13-2019 02:56 AM

We always dug ours in to the ground.

scho63 10-13-2019 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 14518495)
So you made forts out of bed sheets and fans instead?

Fans?????? :spock:

TV Trays, Bed Sheets and blankets, clothes pins, furniture. :thumb: