ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs IS THERE a price that’s too high for you to pay Mahomes? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=331504)

Direckshun 05-23-2020 11:30 AM

IS THERE a price that’s too high for you to pay Mahomes?

I know we all say in jest we should pay him a small country’s economy, and I think we all have a read on Mahomes’ character to where we anticipate he’ll re-set the market but he’s not going to gobble up half of our capspace or anything. We know it’s going to be pricey and that that’s reasonable.

But what if Mahomes goes the full Dak.

Seriously — we’ve never seen anything like this. He won an MVP *and* a Super Bowl MVP. He’s had the best start to his career in NFL history.

What if Mahomes comes to you, Brett Veach, and opens at 55m/year? 60m/year?

And if he does come in at an astronomical price that you won’t accept, what do you do? You have him on the 5th year option in 2021, and two years of the franchise tag through 2023.

But this is a guy who our ABSOLUTE BEST SHOT at multiple Super Bowls. How high is too high for that?

JimNasium 05-23-2020 11:30 AM

Ditka.

Wallcrawler 05-23-2020 11:33 AM

Imagine Mahomes quarterbacking another team to a title because they paid what you thought was too high.

Do you feel good?

No?

Then pay.

Period.

Sassy Squatch 05-23-2020 11:34 AM

This won't happen but to appease your need to be pessimistic, even in your hypotheticals, all the damn time you'd just give him the 5th year option and tag 3 times.

lewdog 05-23-2020 11:37 AM

Give him whatever he wants.

Also, your mom's a whore!

wazu 05-23-2020 11:42 AM

No. There is literally no number that is too high. I have zero appetite to watch a league where Mahomes plays for another team. I would seriously rather we be bad, with Mahomes. Not saying it's rational.

RustShack 05-23-2020 11:50 AM

As long as we can afford to pay the rest of the roster the minimum. Can’t pay him so much that you can’t even fill the roster.

wazu 05-23-2020 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 14985962)
As long as we can afford to pay the rest of the roster the minimum. Can’t pay him so much that you can’t even fill the roster.

Our only limit is the cap. If Mahomes demands the entire cap he has to go out there and play every position on the team.

Don Corlemahomes 05-23-2020 11:54 AM

No

/thread

Redbled 05-23-2020 11:56 AM

You keep Pat happy period. Thankfully he seems smart enough to find a reasonable number and has the vision to understand what multiple Superbowls will give him financially for generational wealth.

Chief Pagan 05-23-2020 12:01 PM

If I was the front office, I would publicly tell Mahomes he can basically choose whatever salary he wants.

It is pretty much true to begin with. And if you go public with that maybe he will feel respected enough not to ask for the moon. If he does, oh well you were going to pay it anyway.

I expect him to get a huge contract. He has won league MVP and just came off SB MVP.

I hold out some hope that we don’t have to pay him market value all through his thirties but time will tell.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 05-23-2020 12:03 PM

He has won 1 SB out of 54. Life goes on

Why Not? 05-23-2020 12:05 PM

nope.

L.A. Chieffan 05-23-2020 12:09 PM

Whatever he wants. This guy comes along once a generation

el borracho 05-23-2020 12:17 PM

I am a little curious to see what happens to QB contracts after Mahomes next deal. Which a**hole QB will have the stones to demand just a little bit more than Mahomes just because it's his turn for a deal? I suppose in some ways that would level the field for us. If we pay Pat something prohibitive and that causes other teams to pay their QBs something prohibitive then we would all be in the same situation- paid QBs and a bunch of inexpensive nobodies everywhere else.

To answer the original question, you pay Mahomes whatever he wants. You have to publicize his demands if they are outrageous to protect yourself from public backlash, but there is no protection from negative press if you are the guy who had Mahomes and then traded him. Veach would have to move to Syria to lessen the death threats.