ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV *Fringe* the series Official thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=191156)

Deberg_1990 12-10-2008 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5284337)
I think it's less of a cost cutting move and more of a "we don't know what to do" move.

Leno will command about $30 million per year for a prime-time talk show.

NBC has struggled to come up with new 10pm shows, so they're moving Law & Order and SVU to 9pm (which IMO, is way too early for those shows, especially SVU). With ER winding down, they're barren in the 10pm slot. They've been showing repeats of L&O and SVU on Saturday nights because they can't seem to buy or produce a hit show.

It's a risky move: Do people watch "The Tonight Show" or do they watch Jay Leno?

I think it's the former.

NBC's a mess.

Yea, i cant see it lasting to be honest. More of an experiment i guess.

I dont understand why NBC cant develop good shows?

There is fertile material out there. Look at how good the cable networks are at developing decent dramas these days.

DaneMcCloud 12-10-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5284352)
Yea, i cant see it lasting to be honest. More of an experiment i guess.

I dont understand why NBC cant develop good shows?

There is fertile material out there. Look at how good the cable networks are at developing decent dramas these days.

The cable networks don't have the pressure of prime time.

TNT's had some great success lately but those numbers wouldn't translate to prime-time and they benefit from receiving income from subscribers. ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox don't.

We've discussed this before but the mere fact that Journeyman didn't make it (along with a show like Jericho on CBS, which definitely had a loyal following) illustrates how difficult it is to create a prime-time ratings winner, regardless of show quality.

I think the Leno thing is a stop-gap but we'll see.

Deberg_1990 12-10-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5284364)
The cable networks don't have the pressure of prime time.

TNT's had some great success lately but those numbers wouldn't translate to prime-time and they benefit from receiving income from subscribers. ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox don't.

We've discussed this before but the mere fact that Journeyman didn't make it (along with a show like Jericho on CBS, which definitely had a loyal following) illustrates how difficult it is to create a prime-time ratings winner, regardless of show quality.

I think the Leno thing is a stop-gap but we'll see.

This makes me wonder why top creative minds would even go to the networks anymore??

DaneMcCloud 12-10-2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5284374)
This makes me wonder why top creative minds would even go to the networks anymore??

Well, most of shows on television are produced by outside companies. "Bad Robot" for example is JJ Abrams company. They'll create a pilot and if it's picked up, the network shares the costs and revenues.

But the bottom line is that everyone needs a job and it's just plain bad to refuse work.

Deberg_1990 12-10-2008 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5284377)
Well, most of shows on television are produced by outside companies. "Bad Robot" for example is JJ Abrams company. They'll create a pilot and if it's picked up, the network shares the costs and revenues.

But the bottom line is that everyone needs a job and it's just plain bad to refuse work.

Makes sense. Thanks.

DaneMcCloud 12-10-2008 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5284380)
Makes sense. Thanks.

Hey, no problem :thumb:

Baby Lee 12-10-2008 03:41 PM

Quote:

I think it's less of a cost cutting move and more of a "we don't know what to do" move.

Leno will command about $30 million per year for a prime-time talk show.

NBC has struggled to come up with new 10pm shows, so they're moving Law & Order and SVU to 9pm (which IMO, is way too early for those shows, especially SVU). With ER winding down, they're barren in the 10pm slot. They've been showing repeats of L&O and SVU on Saturday nights because they can't seem to buy or produce a hit show.

It's a risky move: Do people watch "The Tonight Show" or do they watch Jay Leno?

I think it's the former.

NBC's a mess.

WTF is going on with SVU? It has gone plaid, it out Horatio's Horatio. Half the time they aren't even doing police work, just sitting around debating the subtext of their 'issue of the week.' Olivia's standing around in kitchens chewing kids out for having sex [not part of a criminal investigation, just being an harridan]. Rapists are popping boners on the stand, while the ADA smirks and quips. Rape victims line up like a 'Charmed' promotion poster to smirk when the rapist gets got. It's a sham of a travesty I say!!

Deberg_1990 12-10-2008 03:44 PM

Quote:

NBC has struggled to come up with new 10pm shows, so they're moving Law & Order and SVU to 9pm (which IMO, is way too early for those shows, especially SVU).

I hope they keep Medium. Its not a show people talk about much, but i like it alot. Its solid.

aturnis 01-06-2009 08:07 PM

When will new episodes air?

Adept Havelock 01-06-2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 5363825)
When will new episodes air?

Two Weeks! [/jAZ]

:p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5284424)
I hope they keep Medium. Its not a show people talk about much, but i like it alot. Its solid.

I wish I could talk to dead people. That'd be sweeeeeet. Go, Medium! [/Pewterschmidt]

007 01-06-2009 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5284424)

Last I heard it would be back again this year.

Adept Havelock 01-06-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 5364073)
Last I heard it would be back again this year.

Seriously, in two weeks. New episodes will start Jan. 20, 2009.

aturnis 01-20-2009 04:13 PM

New episode tonight at 8.

Adept Havelock 01-20-2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 5410197)
New episode tonight at 8.

He'll be watching. :)

http://a.imagehost.org/0185/Observer105.jpg

Heck, the guy is turning up all over the place:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gG6JIBSYwJw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gG6JIBSYwJw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

aturnis 01-20-2009 10:01 PM

damn, I didn't even look for him in this episode...