ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV ‘Game Of Thrones’ Creators To Make New ‘Star Wars’ Film Series (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313794)

temper11 02-07-2018 12:37 PM

‘Game Of Thrones’ Creators To Make New ‘Star Wars’ Film Series

‘Game of Thrones’ creators will make Star Wars movies because the franchise can never end

“Game of Thrones” showrunners D.B. Weiss and David Benioff have a plan for their post-Westeros life. Disney announced Tuesday that the two have been tasked with writing and directing a new series of Star Wars movies, ensuring that there will never be a shortage of stories set in a galaxy far, far away.

According to Variety, the movies will be separate from both the Skywalker narrative that set the original franchise in motion and the trilogy that Rian Johnson was gifted after he delivered “The Last Jedi” in December with minimal drama. For those keeping score at home, that means we have the second spinoff, “Solo,” and “Episode IX” to look forward to this year and next, plus the third stand-alone installment, slated for 2020, the Rian Johnson trilogy and the as-yet-unquantified series that Weiss and Benioff will helm.

Full article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.70a8e57346fe

Ragged Robin 02-07-2018 01:02 PM

should have canned johnson's ass and let them do it instead of having two spin-off trilogies

BigRichard 02-07-2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by temper11 (Post 13406847)
‘Game of Thrones’ creators will make Star Wars movies because the franchise can never end

“Game of Thrones” showrunners D.B. Weiss and David Benioff have a plan for their post-Westeros life. Disney announced Tuesday that the two have been tasked with writing and directing a new series of Star Wars movies, ensuring that there will never be a shortage of stories set in a galaxy far, far away.

According to Variety, the movies will be separate from both the Skywalker narrative that set the original franchise in motion and the trilogy that Rian Johnson was gifted after he delivered “The Last Jedi” in December with minimal drama. For those keeping score at home, that means we have the second spinoff, “Solo,” and “Episode IX” to look forward to this year and next, plus the third stand-alone installment, slated for 2020, the Rian Johnson trilogy and the as-yet-unquantified series that Weiss and Benioff will helm.

Full article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.70a8e57346fe

:BS:

Easy 6 02-07-2018 01:54 PM

Uhhh, isnt it all getting to be a bit too much at this point?

DaneMcCloud 02-07-2018 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13407009)
Uhhh, isnt it all getting to be a bit too much at this point?

This article is incomplete. I posted far more detail in the Episode VIII thread and since Disney is on the verge of announcing at least one new Live Action series and one new Animated series that will air on their new standalone app in 2019, I had planned to make a thread when it was made official by Bob Iger.

That said, Benioff and Weiss were asked to produce a Live Action TV series but instead, wanted to make a series of films based in a particular Star Wars time frame.

Since the Star Wars stories are set before A New Hope and the sequels are set after Return of the Jedi, the time period that makes most sense for these new movies in the Knights of the Old Republic era. As mentioned, they may want to go back 850 years, when Yoda was a young Padawan or Jedi Master but KOTOR makes more sense considering their work on Game of Thrones.

As for too much? Who knows? Public response will dictate how much Star Wars content is too much and at this point, I'm not sure anyone can gauge it accurately.

Easy 6 02-07-2018 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13407029)
This article is incomplete. I posted far more detail in the Episode VIII thread and since Disney is on the verge of announcing at least one new Live Action series and one new Animated series that will air on their new standalone app in 2019, I had planned to make a thread when it was made official by Bob Iger.

That said, Benioff and Weiss were asked to produce a Live Action TV series but instead, wanted to make a series of films based in a particular Star Wars time frame.

Since the Star Wars stories are set before A New Hope and the sequels are set after Return of the Jedi, the time period that makes most sense for these new movies in the Knights of the Old Republic era. As mentioned, they may want to go back 850 years, when Yoda was a young Padawan or Jedi Master but KOTOR makes more sense considering their work on Game of Thrones.

As for too much? Who knows? Public response will dictate how much Star Wars content is too much and at this point, I'm not sure anyone can gauge it accurately.

Oh yeah, there are a ton of different characters and timelines ripe for mining... its just kinda coming off like overkill lately IMO

But I'm sure there is plenty of money to be made, so more power to them I guess

DaneMcCloud 02-07-2018 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13407035)
Oh yeah, there are a ton of different characters and timelines ripe for mining... its just kinda coming off like overkill lately IMO

We've had three new movies in 3 years, with a 4th coming in May. The next film won't be released until December 20, 2019, so there will be some breathing space.

Star Wars Rebels ends its run in March as well and to date, a new animated series hasn't been announced yet.

As long as the various projects don't overlap, I'm good with a movie every year and a new live action and animated series. The problem for me would be if all of the properties were to be interconnected, like Marvel, meaning I'd have to watch 50 different movies and TV series in order to know what's going on.

Hopefully, they avoid that scenario.

Discuss Thrower 02-07-2018 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13407035)

But I'm sure there is plenty of money to be made, so more power to them I guess

It's not overkill if it's high quality content.

Red Brooklyn 02-07-2018 06:06 PM

I really hope this is an "ancient" film series. I never played Knights of the Old Republic. But I'd love for this to be set in that time frame. Even if it doesn't pull any of those plots or many of the specific characters. I'd just love to see massive Jedi v Sith battles. What was the galaxy like when there were hundreds (or thousands?) of Jedi and Sith. I want the first movie set before the Rule of Two.

vailpass 02-07-2018 06:37 PM

Oh goody moar Star Wars stuff. Can they get GRRM off his big ass and back into his writing room first please?

Easy 6 02-07-2018 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 13407411)
It's not overkill if it's high quality content.

Wouldnt really argue against your point, but it needs to be 'high quality'

Otherwise this deluge threatens to diminish the legacy IMO, the new Solo looks outstanding, even if they chose the wrong lead

Deberg_1990 02-07-2018 06:52 PM

Too much. Diminishing returns.....

BigRedChief 02-07-2018 06:54 PM

Q x 3

Buehler445 02-08-2018 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 13407478)
Too much. Diminishing returns.....

The first diminishing return does not equal economic optimum. I think we are always out from negative marginal returns.

Mennonite 02-08-2018 09:31 AM

I for one can't get enough Star Wars rehashes and reeruned comic book movies.

Truly a golden age of film making.