ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports To what extent do you focus on "sports media"? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=319677)

DaFace 12-18-2018 05:15 PM

To what extent do you focus on "sports media"?

Seems like we have 3-5 threads every week talking about something one of the radio guys or talking heads on ESPN has said, and I always feel kind of lost in those conversations. About the only time I even see what national guys are saying is during halftime of games, and I don't think I've listened to actual talk radio in years (though I do follow some podcasts).

But anyway, I'm curious about what others do these days. So here's a poll.

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-18-2018 05:18 PM

Only to laugh at them. I think Le Batard's approach that they're all fools and none of us really know what we're watching is the most accurate and instructive.

Sports radio is where intelligent sports discussion goes to die.

chinaski 12-18-2018 05:23 PM

I voted occasionally on all three. I don't really take any of it to heart though. :shake:

WhiteWhale 12-18-2018 05:29 PM

Normally never, but I admit to paying a bit more attention this season entirely because of the Mahomes hype train.

RunKC 12-18-2018 05:32 PM

I’ve found that quality is all I look for anymore. Don’t care much about big media much anymore unless I see some cool clips of guys like Shannon Sharpe primping Mahomes. Kinda funny that people get mad about guys like Cowherd or GMFB saying something against Mahomes (they can’t fellate him every goddamn time).

I really like listening to Grunhard though. I think he’s the best listen for Chiefs talk.

3rd&Long 12-18-2018 05:37 PM

My standard is always, 'tell me something I didn't know and tell me why I should know it". We're talking sports journalism with the founder being Howard Cosell. Most of these hairdos, tin throats and scribes regurgitate the same old-same old lines without delving deeper into the topic. Yeah, I'm an old crusty bastard so there it is.

HemiEd 12-18-2018 05:38 PM

I have arrived at the point where I prefer the silence in the car while driving and enjoy the scenery.

I must admit though, I have listened to the talking heads on ESPN about a half dozen times this year in the morning while on the treadmill just to enjoy the Mahomes talk.

Podcasts? Heck no, never.

smithandrew051 12-18-2018 05:48 PM

It’s all for entertainment and nothing more.

All of the National names play roles and do what they can to spark interest in themselves. Cowherd is a good example. He plays the somewhat analytical contrarian. He never admits he’s wrong, he just shifts his justification for what he said.

I like the local sports radio more than the national media for sports. Petro is a bit of a douche, but I think he’s the smartest of the local guys. Even when I disagree with him, I respect his detail and logic. I listen to Fescoe for pure entertainment. He’s like a parody of an actual sports radio host.

chinaski 12-18-2018 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 13970085)
It’s all for entertainment and nothing more.

All of the National names play roles and do what they can to spark interest in themselves. Cowherd is a good example. He plays the somewhat analytical contrarian. He never admits he’s wrong, he just shifts his justification for what he said.

I like the local sports radio more than the national media for sports. Petro is a bit of a douche, but I think he’s the smartest of the local guys. Even when I disagree with him, I respect his detail and logic. I listen to Fescoe for pure entertainment. He’s like a parody of an actual sports radio host.

He's a mega flip flopper. I used to pay attention, but it really is a bunch of nonsense. I'll occasionally tune in with the volume down to see Joy. :D

displacedinMN 12-18-2018 05:57 PM

Mostly CP

I am ****ed.

FAX 12-18-2018 05:58 PM

This year was the outlier for me.

Prior to this year, I never watched and rarely listened to the nogs. Once Mahomes was named the starter, however, that changed for me. I've been checking in almost daily to find out what various and sundry nogs are saying about his play. It got old, though, so I can't say I'm addicted.

FAX

Sassy Squatch 12-18-2018 05:59 PM

There need to be more sports talk shows like Inside the NBA on TNT. I don't even like basketball that much, but that group toes the line pretty damn well as far as entertainment, keeping it honest, and analyzing their sport.

notorious 12-18-2018 06:12 PM

18-25 Watched Sportscenter and every game I could, radio during work

25-30. Watched every game I could. Caught sportscenter ever once in a while, radio during work

30-35. Watch some games, stopped watching sportscenter type shows, radio during work

35-40 watch few games, no more pregame or ESPN, radio during work

40+. watch maybe 2-3 game a weekend. **** pregame shows and ESPN, maybe listen to 3-5 hours sports radio a week. Have completely cut off ESPN content since Russilo left

That’s my story. Basically got bored with the same bullshit on 24 hours a day. It sucks.

Rain Man 12-18-2018 06:16 PM

I'll frequently watch whatever that NFL Network show is, but pretty much only because it's on after something interesting and I don't change the channel. I don't seek it out.

WhawhaWhat 12-18-2018 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13970117)
I'll frequently watch whatever that NFL Network show is, but pretty much only because it's on after something interesting and I don't change the channel. I don't seek it out.

I find Kay Adams pretty interesting on their morning show.

http://i.imgur.com/OtK1lj4.jpg