ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Woodworking (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=305669)

HemiEd 01-31-2017 09:01 PM

Woodworking

I don't recall seeing anything on here about the hobby. Do you do it? Have any interest? Tools? Have you made anything? Do you want to learn?

With the recent developments on the Planet, it got me thinking, what can I do to contribute and support the new effort?

I had no problem with any of the old guard and want to support the effort to make Chiefs Planet great again with the regime.

They aren't teaching vocational training in high school anymore, but maybe we can provide a venue here to learn woodworking?

There is a handyman mega thread, but this deserves it's own thread if we are going to accomplish something.

When I went to Junior high school we had woodworking class and I have always loved it. Finally, upon retirement, I have been able to set up a nice woodwork shop. I can go from station to station and perform the particular task, planing, jointer, sander, router table, radial arm, table and band saw.

I am currently on my fifth cedar chest this winter. Each one has gotten much easier as I have learned.

We have a cedar mill about ten miles away so it has been very instrumental in the effort as raw material is the main ingredient. It is dirt cheap at the mill and I have been buying 1.1 inch thick by 52 long by 4.25 wide boards and gluing them together.

What are you working on?

MIAdragon 01-31-2017 09:04 PM

Per makes a mean dog house ramp.

SAUTO 01-31-2017 09:08 PM

Nice idea for a thread. I wish I was better at wood working, I'm more like a wood butcher.

HemiEd 01-31-2017 09:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 12720236)
Nice idea for a thread. I wish I was better at wood working, I'm more like a wood butcher.

I bet if you had the time and space you would do well. It is not all that much different than fixing a car. :D

I built these for my daughters Christmas presents. The first one took forever, but each one gets easier and faster.

Buehler445 01-31-2017 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 12720236)

I'm a shit wood worker. The only thing I can work on with any success is numbers.

SAUTO 01-31-2017 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 12720247)
I bet if you had the time and space you would do well. It is not all that much different than fixing a car. :D

I built these for my daughters Christmas presents. The first one took forever, but each one gets easier and faster.

Metal is much easier than wood. You can't go back with wood lol

SAUTO 01-31-2017 09:17 PM

Those chests look good though ed

2112 01-31-2017 09:18 PM

Nice work Ed!! I haven't done that stuff since wood shop in junior high back in the (gulp) 70's

TimBone 01-31-2017 09:19 PM

I took wood shop in junior high, amd thoroughly enjoyed it. I do small projects here and there, but nothing major. I'm good with most woodworking machines..sanders, router, jigsaw, miter saw, etcetera. Table saws scare the hell out of me, though.

SAUTO 01-31-2017 09:20 PM

I took wood in jr high too, ended up making a cutting board lol.

I made a couple hammers in metal working that I still use today.

KCrockaholic 01-31-2017 09:21 PM

Do we have any contractors on here who work with home repairs or installs?

TimBone 01-31-2017 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 12720261)

I'm from Texas, so our final project was a Texas shaped birdhouse. I think they should have let us make whatever we wanted to demonstrate the skills we learned up to that point.

We made some cool shit throughout the year, though. Cameras out of quaker oat boxes, wooden racecars powered by c02 cartridges, and rockets that actually shot into ths sky.

TimBone 01-31-2017 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 12720261)

Amd that part about the hammers is really cool. You ought to stash one away, to ensure that it lasts. Let one of your kids use it as an adult and tell them where it came from.

HemiEd 01-31-2017 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 12720258)
I took wood shop in junior high, amd thoroughly enjoyed it. I do small projects here and there, but nothing major. I'm good with most woodworking machines..sanders, router, jigsaw, miter saw, etcetera. Table saws scare the hell out of me, though.

Never had a problem with a table saw but my compound miter saw is the one that has almost gotten me a couple of times. Fingernail saved my little finger a couple weeks ago.

I just finished this one for my sister in law tonight, my fifth one.

HemiEd 01-31-2017 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D2112 (Post 12720255)
Nice work Ed!! I haven't done that stuff since wood shop in junior high back in the (gulp) 70's

Exactly! I have asked my grandsons and they say it is not offered anymore. What the ****?