ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Melting butter (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285542)

Fire Me Boy! 08-07-2014 01:46 PM

Melting butter

Anyone here want to chat about melting butter?

I gotta be honest - I use the microwave almost entirely when I need to melt butter, unless I'm doing it just to cook with it on the stove. But sometimes, baked goods or breads require melted butter, so that goes in the microwave.

But I hate when some of the water in the butter explodes, and sends half your butter all over the inside of the science oven. That stuff's hard to clean up.

But if I'm cooking with it, obviously it just goes straight in the pan or pot.

Now, there is one instance where I melt a butt load of butter all at once - when I'm making ghee. I'll put like 2 pounds in the dutch oven and melt that, but then I keep on cooking it until the milk solids separate and start to brown and all the water in the oil boils out. By the way, I wouldn't really recommend cultured butter for this, as you mostly lose all the complexities of the nice butter. I've had equally good experiences with $7/pound butter as the cheaper stuff.

Donger 08-07-2014 01:47 PM

Please tel me you don't nuke it when making a roux...

Fire Me Boy! 08-07-2014 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 10800131)
Please tel me you don't nuke it when making a roux...

Oh, god no.

The Franchise 08-07-2014 01:48 PM

What's ghee?

ptlyon 08-07-2014 01:48 PM

Stove. Always.

Fire Me Boy! 08-07-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10800135)
What's ghee?

It's butter fat that's been separated from the milk solids and allowed the water to evaporate. So it's like clarified butter you'd get with lobster or crab, but it's allowed to cook a little longer, until the milk solids start to brown on the bottom of the pan. That gives it a really awesome nuttiness.

I keep some around all the time, it's super easy to make and is ridiculously good.

Donger 08-07-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10800134)
Oh, god no.

Good, because I would have had to kill you.

Fire Me Boy! 08-07-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 10800163)
Good, because I would have had to kill you.

You would have had to stand in line behind me.

Bufkin 08-07-2014 01:53 PM

Why does margarine ruin my popcorn when I melt it and pour it over? It turns the popcorn into mush. It resembles my dong after a Melissa McCarthy flick.

ptlyon 08-07-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10800144)
It's butter fat that's been separated from the milk solids. So it's like clarified butter you'd get with lobster or crab, but it's allowed to cook a little longer, until the milk solids start to brown on the bottom of the pan. That gives it a really awesome nuttiness.

I keep some around all the time, it's super easy to make and is ridiculously good.

So basically it's a nut butter?

Fire Me Boy! 08-07-2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 10800170)
So basically it's a nut butter?

:spock:

Not at all. It's oil with a very high smoke point that tastes like butter's supermodel big sister.

Fire Me Boy! 08-07-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Fisher (Post 10800169)
Why does margarine ruin my popcorn when I melt it and pour it over? It turns the popcorn into mush. It resembles my dong after a Melissa McCarthy flick.

Because it hates you and your popcorn. Butter loves you and your popcorn.

Seriously, I can't really figure out why. My initial thought would be the water content, but apparently margarine and butter have to be at least 80 percent fat and typically have very similar water contents.

ptlyon 08-07-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10800175)
:spock:

Not at all. It's oil with a very high smoke point that tastes like butter's supermodel big sister.

That's a joke son. A real flag waver.

Fire Me Boy! 08-07-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 10800186)
That's a joke son. A real flag waver.

Oh, my bad. I missed the funny bits, so you'll understand why I didn't get it. ;)

ptlyon 08-07-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10800196)
Oh, my bad. I missed the funny bits, so you'll understand why I didn't get it. ;)

Nut. Butter. Nut butter.

Iowanian 08-07-2014 02:03 PM

What a douchebag.

frankotank 08-07-2014 02:04 PM

I can't believe it's nut butter!

Fire Me Boy! 08-07-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 10800203)
What a douchebag.

I'm going to laugh hysterically when this thread outpaces yours.

And dude, chill out. Just having some fun.

Fire Me Boy! 08-07-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 10800208)
I can't believe it's nut butter!

ROFL

frankotank 08-07-2014 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10800217)
ROFL

http://treasure.diylol.com/uploads/p...ere-20d287.jpg

1moreTRich 08-07-2014 02:13 PM

When I melt butter in the microwave for baked goods, I set the time for as short as possible. When about half has melted I swish the melted butter on the solid butter until it melts all the way. Takes a little bit of time but keeps it from splattering in the microwave.

Fire Me Boy! 08-07-2014 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1moreTRich (Post 10800227)
When I melt butter in the microwave for baked goods, I set the time for as short as possible. When about half has melted I swish the melted butter on the solid butter until it melts all the way. Takes a little bit of time but keeps it from splattering in the microwave.

Yeah, that's what I do most of the time. Sometimes you get some tricky butter, though.

I typically do 15 seconds at a time until it's almost all melted, then leave it alone. The residual heat will finish the process.

listopencil 08-07-2014 02:43 PM

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-i...s5/butter1.png

listopencil 08-07-2014 02:43 PM

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-i...s5/butter2.png

Gonzo 08-07-2014 02:58 PM

Better butter barely burns.

Bugeater 08-07-2014 03:00 PM

I only melt butter in cast iron
Posted via Mobile Device

Bufkin 08-07-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 10800370)
Better butter barely burns.

And on top of that, Billy Burger built a bigger better burger. A bigger better burger Billy Burger built.

Gonzo 08-07-2014 03:02 PM

:D

loochy 08-07-2014 03:02 PM

i melt butter with something hot

saphojunkie 08-07-2014 03:06 PM

Bully for Billy but the benchmark of the best burgers is if it's built with a beautiful ball of beef unbound by breadcrumbs and broiled with bubbling brie on a buttery brioche bun.

TimBone 08-07-2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 10800385)
i melt butter with something hot

You mean hot like the chick in the Iowa gif?

loochy 08-07-2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flybone McTimmerson (Post 10800390)
You mean hot like the chick in the Iowa gif?

that girl could melt my butter ALL DAY LONG

knowhatimsayin

Fire Me Boy! 08-07-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Fisher (Post 10800380)
And on top of that, Billy Burger built a bigger better burger. A bigger better burger Billy Burger built.

I'll bet Billy's bigger better burger didn't have any goddamn Goldfish crackers in it.

RustShack 08-07-2014 03:19 PM

Slow melt on the stove... I've done it in the oven on low a few times too.

TLO 08-07-2014 03:22 PM

Anyone want to talk about gunt butter?

Iowanian 08-07-2014 03:44 PM

Tell about the schmegma you found on your keyboard.

Just Passin' By 08-07-2014 03:57 PM

Allowing butter to reach room temperature first can really make things easy and quick, and it can help avoid the explosion you can get in the microwave.

:thumb:

Skyy God 08-11-2014 02:24 PM

So, apparently "go get the butter" is infamous for referring to butt sex. Who knew?

Stewie 08-11-2014 02:44 PM

When I see commercials for the mortgage company James B. Nutter in KC, all I see is James Nut Butter. I'm ****ed up.

You'll see it that way now. Sorry!

Dinny Bossa Nova 08-11-2014 02:55 PM

Hey FMB, I am sure you posted it somewhere before, so a thousand pardons for failure to exhaust the search function, but...

Would you be kind enough to re-post your ghee recipe? Recommendations for butter to start with would be great, as well.

TIA and Ciao
Dinny

Pablo 08-11-2014 02:57 PM

I feel like I've been cheated out of precious moments of life after reading more than a couple of paragraphs about melting butter.

1/5 stars for the thread. Would not read again.

Stewie 08-11-2014 03:02 PM

I make ghee in a fat separator. It's pretty simple. Put a stick of butter in the separator and microwave for about one minute. Let sit and separate. The timing depends on the microwave and the separator, but you get the idea.

Fire Me Boy! 08-11-2014 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 10810691)
I make ghee in a fat separator. It's pretty simple. Put a stick of butter in the separator and microwave for about one minute. Let sit and separate. The timing depends on the microwave and the separator, but you get the idea.

This isn't really ghee. What you've described is clarified butter (nothing wrong with that, it's very tasty in its own right). While ghee is a form of clarified butter, in order for it to become ghee you actually need to get some of those milk solids to caramelize a bit.

In depth, if anyone cares: http://www.willcookforfriends.com/20...ak-friday.html

Fire Me Boy! 08-11-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinny Blues (Post 10810680)
Hey FMB, I am sure you posted it somewhere before, so a thousand pardons for failure to exhaust the search function, but...

Would you be kind enough to re-post your ghee recipe? Recommendations for butter to start with would be great, as well.

TIA and Ciao
Dinny

I like to do it in the oven, but it takes less time on the stove top (but you have to keep a close eye on it).

Put a pound of butter into a Dutch oven (light colored interior is best so you can see the color). Set oven to 250 and start looking in on it after an hour. You're looking for the bubbling to subside, which is the water boiling out. Then you're looking for the milk solids to turn golden brown. Once you're satisfied with the browning and water being gone, take it of the oven and let it cool awhile.

As for getting the particles out, strain it through a clean tea towel or coffee filter. No need to skim, no worry about bits falling into it. Very simple.

And the ghee will keep for 6 months at room temp, or pretty much indefinitely in the fridge.

Stewie 08-11-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10810878)
This isn't really ghee. What you've described is clarified butter (nothing wrong with that, it's very tasty in its own right). While ghee is a form of clarified butter, in order for it to become ghee you actually need to get some of those milk solids to caramelize a bit.

In depth, if anyone cares: http://www.willcookforfriends.com/20...ak-friday.html

This is true, but my Indian colleague makes it this way. To make "real" ghee things go far beyond caramelizing milk solids. They don't bother, so why should I?

Fire Me Boy! 08-11-2014 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 10810901)
This is true, but my Indian colleague makes it this way. To make "real" ghee things go far beyond caramelizing milk solids. They don't bother, so why should I?

Well, clarified butter is super tasty by itself, not knocking it by any means.

Not sure what you mean by "way beyond," because I've never read anything close to that for plain ghee (without any spices). It's not as far as brown butter. It does take more time because you want all of the water gone, which doesn't happen with clarified.

But as to your question... Why? Because it's super easy and tastes better! :)

BucEyedPea 08-11-2014 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10800127)
Anyone here want to chat about melting butter?

I gotta be honest - I use the microwave almost entirely when I need to melt butter, unless I'm doing it just to cook with it on the stove. But sometimes, baked goods or breads require melted butter, so that goes in the microwave.

But I hate when some of the water in the butter explodes, and sends half your butter all over the inside of the science oven. That stuff's hard to clean up.

But if I'm cooking with it, obviously it just goes straight in the pan or pot.

Now, there is one instance where I melt a butt load of butter all at once - when I'm making ghee. I'll put like 2 pounds in the dutch oven and melt that, but then I keep on cooking it until the milk solids separate and start to brown and all the water in the oil boils out. By the way, I wouldn't really recommend cultured butter for this, as you mostly lose all the complexities of the nice butter. I've had equally good experiences with $7/pound butter as the cheaper stuff.

Why would you ruin one of your quality ingredients by using a microwave to melt it? It affects the flavor.

I use my itty-bitty melting pan when I want to melt butter. There's a gadget for everything.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...-M77WGKn5Q.jpg

GloryDayz 08-11-2014 04:48 PM

I always have two sticks on the counter (covered) so there's soft better ready to go. When one stick is done, the next comes out.

As for melting, I do nuke it, but I do it on "2" and I do it in 5-10 second increments (fork-stirring along the way).

Stewie 08-11-2014 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10810909)
Well, clarified butter is super tasty by itself, not knocking it by any means.

Not sure what you mean by "way beyond," because I've never read anything close to that for plain ghee (without any spices). It's not as far as brown butter. It does take more time because you want all of the water gone, which doesn't happen with clarified.

But as to your question... Why? Because it's super easy and tastes better! :)

True ghee has additional cultures, similar to yogurt. I don't know the details, but it sounds like a pain in the ass. So, there's ghee1, ghee2 and ghee3. Ghee3 is authentic, the others are simple variations.

Just Passin' By 08-11-2014 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 10810927)
True ghee has additional cultures, similar to yogurt. I don't know the details, but it sounds like a pain in the ass. So, there's ghee1, ghee2 and ghee3. Ghee3 is authentic, the others are simple variations.

I think you're talking about "true ghee" being made from the very start, which is raw milk that is boiled, cooled, and then treated with curd cultures. Once you've got butter, you're doing things the same.

Fire Me Boy! 08-11-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 10810927)

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, really, Stewie. I like you, and your knowledge in food is well documented here.

But I'm specifically trying to find anything online that tells me about additional cultures used for ghee, even trying to find "authentic" Indian ghee recipes, and I'm finding nothing except something that is basically what I've been making. I even searched "ghee3" to no avail.

Unless this authentic ghee isn't pure oil - which as I understand it is a requirement of ghee - there's no way any cultures would grow in it.

The closest thing I could find to what you're talking about this: http://www.indiacurry.com/dairy/d005ghee.htm, which has you make a cultured butter before making the ghee. But the process of making the ghee is exactly the same, which means you could do it with pretty much any kind of butter as long as you didn't care about being 100 percent authentic. And if you did, you could buy cultured (European) butter. I've done that, by the way, and couldn't tell much of a difference, if any.

So perhaps you're friend is adding in the cultured butter step, which would make sense with what you're saying, and I totally agree would be an awful lot of work for ghee.

Fire Me Boy! 08-11-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 10810940)
I think you're talking about "true ghee" being made from the very start, which is raw milk that is boiled, cooled, and then treated with curd cultures. Once you've got butter, you're doing things the same.

Beat me to the punch. I agree.

BucEyedPea 08-11-2014 05:31 PM

I bought my first ghee in a jar at the organic food market. Now, that's what I call easy! Easiest ghee ev'ah!

Fire Me Boy! 08-11-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10811077)
I bought my first ghee in a jar at the organic food market. Now, that's what I call easy! Easiest ghee ev'ah!

Just out of curiosity, how much money for how much ghee?

BucEyedPea 08-11-2014 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10811081)
Just out of curiosity, how much money for how much ghee?

I can't remember. It was three weeks ago—maybe. I may still have the receipt but I got a lot of travel stuff splayed all around right now.

BucEyedPea 08-11-2014 05:55 PM

FMB, I just checked the label thinkin' it may have a price on it but no. IIRC it was about $5.99 - $7-8'ish (no more than that) for 7.5 ozs.

But whaddya know, the label says "Organic GHEE" with the words "Clarified Butter" right under that.

Thought I'd add more confusion to the debate with that. :evil:

Fire Me Boy! 08-11-2014 05:57 PM

Melting butter

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10811163)
FMB, I just checked the label thinkin' it may have a price on it but no. IIRC it was about $5.99 - $7-8'ish (no more than that) for 7.5 ozs.

But whaddya know, the label says "Organic GHEE" with the words "Clarified Butter" right under that.

Thought I'd add more confusion to the debate with that. :evil:

No confusion. Ghee is a type of clarified butter. I mentioned that in post 43.

Fire Me Boy! 08-11-2014 05:59 PM

Regarding your buy, making it at home you can more than double your value.

BucEyedPea 08-11-2014 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10811173)
Regarding your buy, making it at home you can more than double your value.

Yeah, but time is money and that was made with organic butter. Ingredients on the side say: "Certified Organic Butter."

Organic butter costs an arm-and-a-leg or thereabouts.

BucEyedPea 08-11-2014 06:02 PM

To be honest with you, making ghee is one thing that I find too challenging. I made it once in college and it was a disaster. Can't bear to waste good butter now.

Fire Me Boy! 08-11-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10811178)
Yeah, but time is money and that was made with organic butter. Ingredients on the side say: "Certified Organic Butter."

Organic butter costs an arm-and-a-leg or thereabouts.

It doesn't take a lot of time, only about 15 minutes if you do it on the stovetop. And you can get a pound of organic butter for less than $7, you end up with about 12 ounces of ghee.

Fire Me Boy! 08-11-2014 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10811184)
To be honest with you, making ghee is one thing that I find too challenging. I made it once in college and it was a disaster. Can't bear to waste good butter now.

BucEyedPea 08-11-2014 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10811188)
It doesn't take a lot of time, only about 15 minutes if you do it on the stovetop. And you can get a pound of organic butter for less than $7, you end up with about 12 ounces of ghee.

Hmmmm...

Even electric stovetops? 'Cause I don't want to tell you how many disasters, including burnt pans, I've had whereas I had none when I had gas in Boston area.

BucEyedPea 08-11-2014 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10811197)

That's a "Good Thing?" /MarthaStewart]

Fire Me Boy! 08-11-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10811198)
Hmmmm...

Even electric stovetops? 'Cause I don't want to tell you how many disasters, including burnt pans, I've had whereas I had none when I had gas in Boston area.

I've done it on an electric before, with no problems. But on the stove top, you can't turn your back on it. It can go from ghee to brown butter to beurre noir fast.

Fire Me Boy! 08-11-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10811201)
That's a "Good Thing?" /MarthaStewart]

That was a thumbs up of understanding.

BucEyedPea 08-11-2014 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10811204)
I've done it on an electric before, with no problems. But on the stove top, you can't turn your back on it. It can go from ghee to brown butter to beurre noir fast.

Yup! I've had that happen on electric enough! I hardly use butter at all anymore to cook with.

Fire Me Boy! 08-11-2014 06:15 PM

It took a while, but this thread just passed Iowhinian's Camp Confidential thread. ROFL ROFL

BucEyedPea 08-11-2014 06:17 PM

Well, then I'll have to bump it!

Fire Me Boy! 08-12-2014 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10811211)
Yup! I've had that happen on electric enough! I hardly use butter at all anymore to cook with.

I hardly ever cook with plain butter as my oil. Burns too easily.

BucEyedPea 08-12-2014 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10812561)
I hardly ever cook with plain butter as my oil. Burns too easily.

This is why.

For some reason, "Melting Butter" sounds like a good name for a movie.:hmmm:

Fire Me Boy! 08-12-2014 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10812638)
This is why.

But ghee doesn't burn like that. Ghee has a very high smoke point.

BucEyedPea 08-12-2014 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10812639)
But ghee doesn't burn like that. Ghee has a very high smoke point.

Yes I know. I learned that from you a few threads earlier. In fact, when I was at my organic/natural supermarket I saw that jar on the shelf, and if it weren't for you I would have passed right by it without a second thought.

Now, see what you've done. You got me spending. :p

Fire Me Boy! 08-12-2014 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10812642)
Yes I know. I learned that from you a few threads earlier. In fact, when I was at my organic/natural supermarket I saw that jar on the shelf, and if it weren't for you I would have passed right by it without a second thought.

Now, see what you've done. You got me spending. :p

I'm trying to get you to try making your own again. :harumph:

;)

GloryDayz 08-12-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10812638)
This is why.

From "Chocolat" to "Butter"... One is a French Romance, the other the Trailer Park version of the same..

BucEyedPea 08-12-2014 09:56 AM

Hey FMB, can you link me to your post on how to prep a ribeye. Ya' know the whole how to salt procedure. Bought my first ev'ah ribeye. Wanna try it your way, but it's buried somewhere. Or you can just repost it.

Pretty Please with Ghee on top! :grovel:

Fire Me Boy! 08-12-2014 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10812859)
Hey FMB, can you link me to your post on how to prep a ribeye. Ya' know the whole how to salt procedure. Bought my first ev'ah ribeye. Wanna try it your way, but it's buried somewhere. Or you can just repost it.

Pretty Please with Ghee on top! :grovel:

I have no idea where that post is, in which thread. So I'll just retype. It's pretty simple.

I like to salt a day in advance. Just put it on a tray, liberally salt like you would for a steak, cover it and put it in the fridge. I'll often just use a Ziploc bag.

If you don't have a day, you can do this anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple days in advance. I like a day because I think it gives me the best flavor and texture for my liking. But don't do it for less than 30 minutes or you won't get that dry brine effect.

An hour before you cook it, bring it out of the fridge, pat dry, and allow to come to room temperature. Season with pepper and whatever else you want to season with (for a ribeye, I'm strictly a salt and pepper guy). Grill or pan fry, rest, and enjoy.

Alternatively, if you do the freeze your steak thing, pat it dry after a day to make sure it's as dry as can be and pop it in the freezer for a half hour before cooking.

BucEyedPea 08-12-2014 10:35 AM

K thanks. What kind of salt? Kosher, sea fine or coarse, any other?

Gonna screen save your post and put in one of my cooking folders.

Fire Me Boy! 08-12-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10812944)
K thanks. What kind of salt? Kosher, sea fine or coarse, any other?

Gonna screen save your post and put in one of my cooking folders.

Kosher.

BucEyedPea 08-12-2014 10:53 AM

Just did it thanks.