ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football What Rules Would You Change? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313447)

gblowfish 01-23-2018 03:14 PM

What Rules Would You Change?

If you were on the rules committee, what rules would you consider changing to improve the game?

Here's my list:

1) OPI or DPI is a 10 yard penalty from where the ball is snapped. No automatic first down, no spot fouls.

2) Concussion Protocol: If refs determine you target and hit a guy in the head, and he is removed from the game for concussion protocol, it's a 15 yard penalty, plus the player who commits the target is disqualified for as long as the targeted player is out. For example, if he misses the rest of the game, the guy who laid the hit is out for the game. If he's out two weeks, they guy who hit him is out two weeks, etc. Plus a game check is forfeited by the hitter for that game, and every game the targeted player is out.

3) Illegal contact. Five yard penalty, but no automatic first down.

4) Two personal fouls in one game, ejection, loss of paycheck from that game, suspension and loss of paycheck for the next game. This would include the playoffs.

5) Extra point moved from the 15 to the 25 yard line. If you want to go for two, ball is placed at the five yard line.

All paychecks that are lost: funds go to CTE Research.

How about you? What would you change?

displacedinMN 01-23-2018 03:16 PM

Clarify the catch rule. What is a catch?
If the ground cannot cause a fumble, maybe it should not on a catch too.

The Franchise 01-23-2018 03:17 PM

#1 wouldn't work. 3rd and 20 and you're getting burnt for a TD? Commit DPI and just take the 10 yards.

gblowfish 01-23-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 13378493)
#1 wouldn't work. 3rd and 20 and you're getting burnt for a TD? Commit DPI and just take the 10 yards.

Or, third and twenty chuck the ball forty yards down field and get a DPI on Phillip Gaines. It's not working the way it is now, that's for sure.

hometeam 01-23-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 13378497)
Or, third and twenty chuck the ball forty yards down field and get a DPI on Phillip Gaines. It's not working the way it is now, that's for sure.

Other way will be worse. Will be DPI every other pass. Teams will end up doing the dink and dunk to try and get blockers ahead and get YAC instead of getting there 30-40 yard throws turned into 10 every time.

Those deep balls we love? Yea gone.

Rasputin 01-23-2018 03:21 PM

I'd change the rules that the refs can't intentionally call games in favor of one team to "fix" the outcome of games.

ptlyon 01-23-2018 03:22 PM

Make it so you can review every call. If a player fumbles but was "marked down", if the review is ruled a fumble, then it's a God Damn fumble.

That and if a call gets reversed due to a review, a player of the teams choosing that almost got screwed over gets one penalty kick in the nuts on an official of their choosing.

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-23-2018 03:25 PM

I would change the rule that says we cannot murder a referee after blatantly ****ing your team. I'm looking at you, Jeff.

BlackHelicopters 01-23-2018 03:26 PM

Id run the Mafia out of the game.

In58men 01-23-2018 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 13378492)
Clarify the catch rule. What is a catch?
If the ground cannot cause a fumble, maybe it should not on a catch too.

You must not watch a lot of football. It’s time the fans to start paying more attention. I knew right away Jesse James didn’t catch that pass. It’s pretty clear if you ask me.

Clyde Frog 01-23-2018 03:27 PM

Referees are graded throughout the season. Anything below a certain threshold disqualifies them from officiating in the playoffs and back-to-back seasons under the specified threshold disqualifies from being officials. Also, **** Tripplette.

MVChiefFan 01-23-2018 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 13378508)
I'd change the rules that the refs can't intentionally call games in favor of one team to "fix" the outcome of games.

That would never work. It leaves it too much to chance. Come on man, it shouldn’t matter if a team plays better on that particular day. :D

ChiefGator 01-23-2018 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 13378484)
2) Concussion Protocol: If refs determine you target and hit a guy in the head, and he is removed from the game for concussion protocol, it's a 15 yard penalty, plus the player who commits the target is disqualified for as long as the targeted player is out. For example, if he misses the rest of the game, the guy who laid the hit is out for the game. If he's out two weeks, they guy who hit him is out two weeks, etc. Plus a game check is forfeited by the hitter for that game, and every game the targeted player is out.

3) Illegal contact. Five yard penalty, but no automatic first down.

4) Two personal fouls in one game, ejection, loss of paycheck from that game, suspension and loss of paycheck for the next game. This would include the playoffs.

All paychecks that are lost: funds to to CTE Research.

I like all those ideas... #2 is interesting. What if they player had a career ending concussion?

DPI is messed up right now... but, I don't think 10 yards is the answer.

Dartgod 01-23-2018 03:33 PM

I never understood the intentional grounding rule.

Between the tackles, it's illegal to just launch the ball OB, but it's ok if you are outside the tackle box and the pass makes it back the line of scrimmage. Bull shit.

IMO, the rule should be that any pass that is not in the general area of an eligible receiver is grounding. Period.

KC Dan 01-23-2018 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13378544)
I never understood the intentional grounding rule.

Between the tackles, it's illegal to just launch the ball OB, but it's ok if you are outside the tackle box and the pass makes it back the line of scrimmage. Bull shit

IMO, the rule should be that any pass that is not in the general area of an eligible receiver is grounding.

This! I hate that bullcrap. Russel Wilson gets away with one or two of these every game.