ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Anyone on the board ever rebuilt a transmission? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262971)

Chief Gump 08-29-2012 10:17 AM

Anyone on the board ever rebuilt a transmission?

Wondering if anyone has ever attempted this? I know it is fairly complex to do. I like doing things just for the learning experience some times. Is this something a normal guy can complete? Or is there just way too much involved with attempting this?

If you were wondering why I am asking I have a guy with a Mini Cooper S that apparently the transmission is going out on it. I was considering giving it a go.

milkman 08-29-2012 10:20 AM

I know absolutely nothing about auto mechanics.

The one thing I do know is that if I am having mechanical issues, I am not going to let someone "give it a go" as a learning experience.

KCUnited 08-29-2012 10:22 AM

Shit, if it ain't yours, give it a go.

Chief Gump 08-29-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 8861709)
I know absolutely nothing about auto mechanics.

The one thing I do know is that if I am having mechanical issues, I am not going to let someone "give it a go" as a learning experience.

I would be buying the car. I would be giving it a go on my own vehicle.

Donger 08-29-2012 10:23 AM

I suppose experimenting on someone else's car is better than doing so on your own vehicle, but I'd recommend not.

milkman 08-29-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Gump (Post 8861724)

Okay, thats different.

Donger 08-29-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Gump (Post 8861724)

Oh. I'd recommend taking the car to a mechanic to verify:

1) That something is indeed wrong with the tranny.

2) If something is wrong with the tranny, get an estimate on how much it would be to fix the tranny.

Rain Man 08-29-2012 10:26 AM

The mere words "rebuild a transmission" strike terror into the core of my heart.

SAUTO 08-29-2012 10:30 AM

el jefe does it every day.

i work on cars and fix just about anything and everything.

but **** rebuilding a transmission.

BigMeatballDave 08-29-2012 10:31 AM

I'd never do it.

Too many parts.

TLO 08-29-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Gump (Post 8861700)
Wondering if anyone has ever attempted this? I know it is fairly complex to do. I like doing things just for the learning experience some times. Is this something a normal guy can complete? Or is there just way too much involved with attempting this?

If you were wondering why I am asking I have a guy with a Mini Cooper S that apparently the transmission is going out on it. I was considering giving it a go.

Indeed I have. My father and I rebuilt the transmission in my 96 Mustang GT when I was 18, just a few years back as kind of a father son project. He is very mechanically inclined and has worked on cars all his life. But we found a guide that showed exactly what each and every part was. I am fairly mechanically inclined myself, but it was still fairly difficult going about it the first time. I actually had a blast doing it though.

What exactly is wrong with the Mini's transmission? Is it an auto or manual?

Radar Chief 08-29-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 8861754)
What exactly is wrong with the Mini's transmission? Is it an auto or manual?

Need to know ^this information first.
Manual’s are very simple beasts. I’m not a mechanic and I’ve been all through a T-10, SM420 and now a Ford Top Loader manual transmissions.
I won’t screw with an automatic though, take that to someone that knows what they’re doing.

TLO 08-29-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 8861839)
Need to know ^this information first.
Manual’s are very simple beasts. I’m not a mechanic and I’ve been all through a T-10, SM420 and now a Ford Top Loader manual transmissions.
I won’t screw with an automatic though, take that to someone that knows what they’re doing.

Yep. Was going to be my advice as well. Automatics are a bitch. Though I could see a Mini, even if it is a manual, also being a bitch.

Donger 08-29-2012 11:03 AM

I can't believe that not a single person has posted a picture of a mini tranny yet. Slackers.

bevischief 08-29-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 8861863)
I can't believe that not a single person has posted a picture of a mini tranny yet. Slackers.

I thinking the same thing...:D