ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals Rany Unloads on Hillman (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=205553)

Mecca 04-07-2009 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrRyan (Post 5650104)
People "freak out" about his k's because and out is not always an out. A productive out, base running and defense are not in Dunn's skill set. At all. Obviously he is wanted for his ability to hit it 450 feet any AB, but there were many situations here in AZ last year that he failed when it matter, striking out opposed to putting it in play.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?n1=dunnad01&year=2008&t=b#clutc

Obviously signing Farnsworthless to that kind of money was ridiculous, no other team would have thrown $9 million at him for two years. But, you are comparing apples to oranges with Dunn and Farnsworthless. Dunn cannot play 1B at all, AZ tried that several times last season. If you could put Dunn out there instead of Guillen that would be a good move, but you can't, unless you want to have one of two huge salaries on the bench at all times. You can't have both Dunn and Guillen in the OF if you want to field that ball well and cover any ground out there either. DH is a possibility, but do that and Billy Butler can't develop and there is plenty of talent there to be developed at the plate.

I'd play him in left field everyday...I know people freak out that he doesn't do some things but you know what I'll take any guy on my team that hits 40 bombs and walks 100 times.

DrRyan 04-07-2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5650111)
I'd play him in left field everyday...I know people freak out that he doesn't do some things but you know what I'll take any guy on my team that hits 40 bombs and walks 100 times.

Then you 3/$36 million contact on the bench every day. Not good.

DeezNutz 04-07-2009 11:50 PM

Remember that a lot of the concerns about Dunn were also based on the fact that most thought it would take between 15-18 per to sign the guy. And that type of contract, when talking about the Royals, is reason for pause.

If we knew it would be around Farnsworth money, it would have been a completely different discussion.

Mecca 04-07-2009 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrRyan (Post 5650113)
Then you 3/$36 million contact on the bench every day. Not good.

How? Guillen plays right field.

Mecca 04-07-2009 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 5650115)
Remember that a lot of the concerns about Dunn were also based on the fact that most thought it would take between 15-18 per to sign the guy. And that type of contract, when talking about the Royals, is reason for pause.

If we knew it would be around Farnsworth money, it would have been a completely different discussion.

That's why you A, make the call and B, don't throw money at douchebags like Kyle Farnsworth.

DeezNutz 04-07-2009 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5650117)
That's why you A, make the call and B, don't throw money at douchebags like Kyle Farnsworth.

Dunn signed late. And I don't think anyone, probably even Moore himself, would dispute that he seriously misread the market when he signed Farnsworth.

This was easily the major **** up of the offseason.

DrRyan 04-07-2009 11:53 PM

I could not agree with the blogger's take any more though. Exactly what I and pretty much everyone was saying the opening day thread earlier today. Hillman lacks the ability to make simple decisions in a baseball game.

The one spring training game I was at this year against the M's, the Royals had a 7-2 lead in the 6th when the SP(Bale I belive, but not positive) started running into trouble. Walking batters, giving up hit after hit and yet Hillman does not get Cruz up in the 'pen until the score is 7-7. I understand ST games and getting your work/pitch count in, but even in ST it is still awful game managing.

DrRyan 04-07-2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5650116)
How? Guillen plays right field.

Missing the point. Are you comfortable with Crisp having to cover all of the ground between far left and far right field? You would have a gigantic liability in the OF on defense.

Mecca 04-07-2009 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 5650119)
Dunn signed late. And I don't think anyone, probably even Moore himself, would dispute that he seriously misread the market when he signed Farnsworth.

This was easily the major **** up of the offseason.

I wouldn't have signed Kyle Farnsworth to a league minimum contract it's widely known what he is. It's why I asked the question in the other thread. Do the Royals operate in some vacuum not realizing what this guys career history is? I don't think anyone on planet earth that isn't with the Royals organization would have pitched him today in that situation or given him that contract.

Mecca 04-07-2009 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrRyan (Post 5650126)
Missing the point. Are you comfortable with Crisp having to cover all of the ground between far left and far right field? You would have a gigantic liability in the OF on defense.

Sure, it's still not nearly the liability the infield is...

I'm sorry I'm tired of watching the team leader in HR's hit 20 or less.

DeezNutz 04-07-2009 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5650128)
I wouldn't have signed Kyle Farnsworth to a league minimum contract it's widely known what he is. It's why I asked the question in the other thread. Do the Royals operate in some vacuum not realizing what this guys career history is? I don't think anyone on planet earth that isn't with the Royals organization would have pitched him today in that situation or given him that contract.

The Farnsworth signing and the handling of this player should make anyone question the intelligence level of anyone of significance in the Royals organization.

Moore and Hillman should contact Curry for advice on how to handle the rest of the season.

DeezNutz 04-07-2009 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrRyan (Post 5650126)

Significantly less of a liability than what the brass is apparently comfortable with at 2B...

DrRyan 04-08-2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5650129)
Sure, it's still not nearly the liability the infield is...

I'm sorry I'm tired of watching the team leader in HR's hit 20 or less.

Could have, likely would have put Dunn in LF if you don't have Guillen under contract. Count on it, Dunn would not have cut down either of those two runners and could have led to a much different game with him in LF. I would gladly put Dunn in RF and DeJesus in LF, but what you would make up in HR you would still come out behind in defense starting Guillen and Dunn in the OF corners.

beavis 04-08-2009 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5650032)
Why wouldnt he fire him of the team is doing bad? I mean, who the hell is Trey Hillman????

I didn't say he shouldn't fire him, I just said he won't.

Mecca 04-08-2009 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 5650132)
Significantly less of a liability than what the brass is apparently comfortable with at 2B...

I literally despise Mark Teahen, I wish the organization would finally acknowledge he sucks and quit trying to act like he's a cornerstone because he was in the Beltran trade.