ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Happy Veterans Day! Freebies for the Vets (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=236157)

Sonic Cowboy-Raider 11-05-2010 04:35 PM

Big supporter of all our soldiers and vets here.

Dave Lane 11-05-2010 05:30 PM

Now I just need a printout military ID card :)

Marcellus 11-05-2010 05:34 PM

Being a Vet who has never participated in any of this, I have nothing against it and actually feel honored these companies do these things. But I think most Vets would tell you they don't feel the need to take free things for doing what they wanted to do and I would find it sort of embarrassing.

The offer and it's intention is honor enough to me.

JMO

BigRedChief 11-05-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 7148452)
Being a Vet who has never participated in any of this, I have nothing against it and actually feel honored these companies do these things. But I think most Vets would tell you they don't feel the need to take free things for doing what they wanted to do and I would find it sort of embarrassing.

The offer and it's intention is honor enough to me.

JMO

I know that soldiers don't do what they do for financial reward or to get a free breakfast later. But, as you point out, without these type of things happening in your community, you could possibly feel less appreciated by some for your sacrifice. And again you didn't do what you did for a pat on the back from the folks back home. But, a pat on the back for a job well done ain't so bad. :)

I know some real serious hard core soldiers these days. We are talking real live walking talking heros doing movie worthy actions in the defense of the homeland. You should see how excited those dudes get when they are talking about someone that stopped them at the gas station or grocery store and thanked them for their service. The little things do make a difference.

bobbymitch 11-05-2010 09:28 PM

I am personally pleased to see that our veterans are given some measure of thanks for their service to the country.

I remember the days of being despised while in uniform and how dangerous it was being out in public, especially in California. We pretty much had to change in civies at a locker club for some sense of normality off the base. Hell, I was treated better by the elder Japanese than I was in Long Beach.

Of all the countries that I have been to, the only one still truly grateful for US soldiers/sailors was Australia. One couldn't buy a beer there; someone always stepped in and paid.

JohninGpt 11-05-2010 09:36 PM

I am retired military, and honestly, having a discount at California Cryobank gives me the hebee-gebees.

BigRedChief 11-08-2010 09:17 PM

Anybody heard of any new frebbies for the vets among us? I'll update the opening post.

Marcellus 11-08-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 7148699)
I know that soldiers don't do what they do for financial reward or to get a free breakfast later. But, as you point out, without these type of things happening in your community, you could possibly feel less appreciated by some for your sacrifice. And again you didn't do what you did for a pat on the back from the folks back home. But, a pat on the back for a job well done ain't so bad. :)

I know some real serious hard core soldiers these days. We are talking real live walking talking heros doing movie worthy actions in the defense of the homeland. You should see how excited those dudes get when they are talking about someone that stopped them at the gas station or grocery store and thanked them for their service. The little things do make a difference.

I am not in any way knocking any of it BRC. I think the offers made or the pat on the back is a great honor. I guess I would feel awkward taking a free meal or something while not being on active duty knowing many are still in harms way.

My grandpa was WWII vet, my dad a Vietnam vet, and I am a Gulf War vet.

What the US Military has done and the sacrifices that have been made the last 9 years is simply amazing considering it is an all voluntary force.

BigRedChief 11-08-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 7159692)
What the US Military has done and the sacrifices that have been made the last 9 years is simply amazing considering it is an all voluntary force.

Not without cost, thats for sure. Have you seen the suicide rate among soldiers that served in Iraq/Afganistan? Any little thing we can do to help as civilians is a good thing.

How about I buy you a beer the first time we meet? That would be okay huh?:)

Otter 11-08-2010 09:59 PM

Indeed, thank you for your service ladies and gentlemen. It's much appreciated.

Marcellus 11-08-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 7159757)
Not without cost, thats for sure. Have you seen the suicide rate among soldiers that served in Iraq/Afganistan? Any little thing we can do to help as civilians is a good thing.

How about I buy you a beer the first time we meet? That would be okay huh?:)

I never turn down a free beer. ;):D

R&GHomer 11-08-2010 10:18 PM

This might be a stupid question but do they require that you prove it. I don't have an old id card, and my DD214 has been buried in a box since my last move. I have various awards and my honorable discharge certificate, but who wants to lug that stuff around.

BigRedChief 11-08-2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R&GHomer (Post 7159794)
This might be a stupid question but do they require that you prove it. I don't have an old id card, and my DD214 has been buried in a box since my last move. I have various awards and my honorable discharge certificate, but who wants to lug that stuff around.

I think most just say show an Id card, current or expired.

R&GHomer 11-08-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 7159801)
I think most just say show an Id card, current or expired.

Hmmm, I had to turn in my Active Duty Card when I ETS'd. I used to have an old Reserve card but I have no idea what happened to it. Oh well, I've never participated in these offers before. Guess I wont be starting this go around. No biggie

BigRedChief 11-09-2010 06:16 PM

Bump