ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Inflation Watch Thread - Holy Guacamole (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262083)

R8RFAN 08-05-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8793326)
Inflation is happening all over the supermarket and has been for a year or two.

Priced ground coffee lately? It's outrageous.

Yep... Packages are getting smaller and the price is going up at the same time.

BigMeatballDave 08-05-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8793320)
Fired up the smoker today. Slow cooked a huge pork loin, a pork butt, about 10-12 chicken breasts and some hot dogs. Turned out really well.

How do you smoke a loin without it drying out?

BIG_DADDY 08-05-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8793326)
Inflation is happening all over the supermarket and has been for a year or two.

Priced ground coffee lately? It's outrageous.

The espresso we use at the office is $15.99 a pound.

BigRedChief 08-05-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 8793323)
There's some property literally one house down from me. I think you would make a fine neighbor.

:thumb: That would be a fun time.

Most of these people down here dont use a smoker. They do grill alot. So, my smoker and rub smell/smoke going for like 8 hours does get the neighboorhood asking about what I'm BBQ'ng.

Mr. Laz 08-05-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8793311)
How far down the road before the drought hits meat prices at the supermarket?

i wish i had the freezer room to go ahead an buy a side of beef

Bwana 08-05-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8793311)
How far down the road before the drought hits meat prices at the supermarket?

I have a friend of mine that forecasts ag prices. I will see him mid week, I'll get back to you. I'm trying to time my beef buy at the market low, but I don't want to wait to long either.

qabbaan 08-05-2012 05:20 PM

It's not as simple as corn going up = beef going up. It makes beef go up an it also makes all reasonable substitutes (all other meat) go up as people flee to cheaper substitutes. The price issues will affect not only meat but everything else too because of internal industry opportunity cost and possible supply disruption, not just scarcity. A high tide raises all boats.

The inflation figures are misleading because for several years the government has been pointing to a figure that is obscured by deflation in the housing market. If real inflation of household goods were measured and publicized people would have their eyes opened.

Mr. Laz 08-05-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8793331)
Yep... Packages are getting smaller and the price is going up at the same time.

they try to get tricky with that smaller package shit all the time now.

Or the side size package but the bag is only half full. :cuss:

Mr. Laz 08-05-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 8793343)
I have a friend of mine that forecasts ag prices. I will see him mid week, I'll get back to you. I'm trying to time my beef buy at the market low, but I don't want to wait to long either.

make sure you let us all know please

this is kinda scary :huh:

Nightfyre 08-05-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8793344)
If real inflation of household goods were measured and publicized people would have their eyes opened.

This is very true. The government creates there own nifty little formula to make the inflation match up with whatever they want. Its a bunch of bullshit.

Bwana 08-05-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8793338)
:thumb: That would be a fun time.

Most of these people down here dont use a smoker. They do grill alot. So, my smoker and rub smell/smoke going for like 8 hours does get the neighboorhood asking about what I'm BBQ'ng.

I get the same thing when I do a 8-12 hour smoke. Montana is big on beef, but not very many folks have smokers, or if they do, they have no clue what they are doing. Nothing like abusing the neighbors. :D

Mr. Flopnuts 08-05-2012 05:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I enjoyed a delicious 28 oz Porterhouse last night with the wife. It cost me 27 bucks after tax. From the butcher in our grocery store

BigRedChief 08-05-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8793332)
How do you smoke a loin without it drying out?

I marinated the meat overnight. Poke holes in the loin with a fork to get the rub/sauce down into the meat. I use a cheater smoker. I put the wood chips in a bowl of water. The water helps hydrate the air in the smoker so it doesn't dry it out. I never smoke meat at greater than 200 degrees to alos help with drying out meat.

Mr. Laz 08-05-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8793358)
I marinated the meat overnight. Poke holes in the loin with a fork to get the rub/sauce down into the meat. I use a cheater smoker. I put the wood chips in a bowl of water. The water helps hydrate the air in the smoker so it doesn't dry it out. I never smoke meat at greater than 200 degrees to alos help with drying out meat.

you don't use one of those big needles to inject the stuff into the meat?

i watch the food channel some o:-)

qabbaan 08-05-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 8793352)
This is very true. The government creates there own nifty little formula to make the inflation match up with whatever they want. Its a bunch of bullshit.

The drought is being used as an excuse but the drought is 2-3 months old, the economy has been stuck in the mud for 4 years