ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Inflation Watch Thread - Holy Guacamole (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262083)

R8RFAN 08-05-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 8793357)
I enjoyed a delicious 28 oz Porterhouse last night with the wife. It cost me 27 bucks after tax. From the butcher in our grocery store

Thats a badass Porterhouse....

Nightfyre 08-05-2012 05:28 PM

I love how any topic closely related to food devolves into a conversation about BBQ. CP makes me so happy sometimes.

Bwana 08-05-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8793331)
Yep... Packages are getting smaller and the price is going up at the same time.

The first thing I noticed that with, was dog food several years ago. Remember when all the dog food bags were 50 pounds. Then it went to 42, then 40 and now you see 35-38 pound bags for more money, sneaky bastards.

Nightfyre 08-05-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 8793368)
The first thing I noticed that with, was dog food several years ago. Remember when all the dog food bags were 50 pounds. Then it went to 42, then 40 and now you see 35-38 pound bags for more money, sneaky bastards.

Yea, it costs more, but its better for my back and will probably save me on painkillers in the long run. It's all about perspective, man!

mikeyis4dcats. 08-05-2012 05:29 PM

so? grocery prices change weekly. based on a one or 2 week observation, you know nothing. So crab was $5 cheaper last week - that could have been due to a sale, due to the time of season, etc. produce especially varies in price widely over the season, so paying $1 for an avocado last week and $3 this week mean nothing.

not saying prices aren't rising for food, they are, but you're having a fit over nothing IMHO.

R8RFAN 08-05-2012 05:29 PM

I am gonna have to chill out on the steaks though... My Doc is gonna chew my ass out. Seriously I have been hooked on them for atleast 3 months now.... Eating way too much Beef

Bwana 08-05-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 8793357)
I enjoyed a delicious 28 oz Porterhouse last night with the wife. It cost me 27 bucks after tax. From the butcher in our grocery store

Steakzilla!

Mr. Flopnuts 08-05-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8793365)
Thats a badass Porterhouse....

It was worth buying. A joy to prepare and devour. My wife made noises eating it usually reserved for other rooms. #winning

Nightfyre 08-05-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8793374)
too much Beef

There is no such thing, sir. No such thing.

R8RFAN 08-05-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 8793368)

Yes sir it's a Jedi mind trick... I am surprised 2 liters haven't reduced size

Bwana 08-05-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 8793372)
Yea, it costs more, but its better for my back and will probably save me on painkillers in the long run. It's all about perspective, man!

Good for your back perhaps but your wallet is getting "horsed."

Mr. Laz 08-05-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8793373)
so? grocery prices change weekly. based on a one or 2 week observation, you know nothing. So crab was $5 cheaper last week - that could have been due to a sale, due to the time of season, etc.

not saying prices aren't rising for food, they are, but you're having a fit over nothing IMHO.

http://www.newsrealblog.com/wp-conte...aghdad_bob.png

R8RFAN 08-05-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 8793379)
There is no such thing, sir. No such thing.

I know man, ate a 20 oz bone in at Texas roadhouse Saturday while RV hunting... Then about a 12 oz this morning for breakfast (nothing else but coffee)

I love those bastards

Buehler445 08-05-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 8793333)
The espresso we use at the office is $15.99 a pound.

You have Espresso at the office? Damn man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8793341)
i wish i had the freezer room to go ahead an buy a side of beef

Go buy a freezer. It will probably pay for itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 8793343)
I have a friend of mine that forecasts ag prices. I will see him mid week, I'll get back to you. I'm trying to time my beef buy at the market low, but I don't want to wait to long either.

Can you PM me what he says about corn and particularly wheat? And what basis his analysis is on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8793344)
It's not as simple as corn going up = beef going up. It makes beef go up an it also makes all reasonable substitutes (all other meat) go up as people flee to cheaper substitutes. The price issues will affect not only meat but everything else too because of internal industry opportunity cost and possible supply disruption, not just scarcity. A high tide raises all boats.

The inflation figures are misleading because for several years the government has been pointing to a figure that is obscured by deflation in the housing market. If real inflation of household goods were measured and publicized people would have their eyes opened.

Corn price has very little to do with meat prices. Corn prices affect feedlot profitability and that is about it.

I talked to a guy from the KC Fed reserve 2 years ago, and he told me the inflation numbers used by the government do not include food and fuel. Laughable.

And if you guys want inflation, check out fertilizer prices, particularly UAN and NH3. Phosphate went high in like 06 and never came back down. But Nitrogen has went through the goddamn roof.

BigRedChief 08-05-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8793362)
you don't use one of those big needles to inject the stuff into the meat?

i watch the food channel some o:-)

I probably should. It would make it better. I use a cheater smoker. That Phobia guy will spend all day watching his smoker, putting the wood in to keep it at the perfect temperature etc. And his results are much better than mine.

I do like smoking my own meats but I don't want to work that hard. :)