ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Saying "Goodbye" to my old man (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=348831)

duncan_idaho 05-25-2023 10:37 AM

Saying "Goodbye" to my old man

My dad passed away this week. He was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer earlier this year, and had been going through chemo.

I think the family had been lulled a little into a false sense of security, of time, because he had been tolerating the chemo so well. The doctors had found a concoction they thought his heart and liver (the two most vulnerable organs he had) could work through.

I don't know if it was complications from the chemo, but his heart gave out earlier this week.

Now, I'm not writing this as a look-at-me or cry for sympathy. I'm doing this because when I think about my dad, I think about the Chiefs, and watching games with him. He's the reason I care so much. There's another reason, too, but I'll talk about it at the end.

I am so, so thankful my dad and I got to see the past five years of the Chiefs together. That he got to see them get back to the top of the mountain this year.

He was always a more even-keel, optimistic fan than me. He endured the succession of washed up QBs with eternal optimism and belief that they could turn it around in KC, just like Lenny did.

I used to sarcastically thank him for raising me as a Royals/Chiefs/Mizzou fan, but damn if that didn't make 2014, 2015, and 2018-now all the sweeter. Now I thank him in earnest.

I'm so thankful he got to see that run end (and return the good-natured digs to his fraternity brother from Colorado, who never stopped reminding Dad about the 1983 draft).

We'll put him to rest tomorrow. Going to be a hard day, no doubt about it. But I'm confident that when I watch the Chiefs, it's going to bring the good things out. When I talk about them on here, it's going to bring the good things out.

Now, that other thing I mentioned at the top; if you're wondering if there's anything you can do, what I'd really like is for you to commit to taking care of yourselves. Go to the doctor. And please, please, please get your colonoscopies. My dad's cancer started as colon cancer before spreading. He never had a colonoscopy, and I can't help but think if he just HAD, he'd still be here. We would have caught it early enough and stopped it.

And I wouldn't be standing in his place at my sister's wedding next spring. I wouldn't be giving the speech, I'd be helping him write it.

If you've read all of this, thanks for letting me ramble. Sometimes, getting the words out is the best thing for this.

Go to your check-ups. Get the colonoscopy.

TLO 05-25-2023 10:41 AM

It's great to hear what an amazing relationship you and your father had. I'm actually a bit jealous, as I never had such a relationship with my father, but I'm hopeful in time we may become closer.

You ask for folks to take care of themselves, but make sure you are taking care of yourself and the others around you during this time.

God Speed to your father.

Pepe Silvia 05-25-2023 10:41 AM

I know how you feel, my Dad died in March from Leukemia, he didn’t know he had it until December. It took him out quick. Still getting used to his absence. :(

My condolences.

The Franchise 05-25-2023 10:42 AM

Sorry for your loss. He sounds like a great guy and it’s easy to tell that he is because he raised you.

siberian khatru 05-25-2023 10:43 AM

I'm so sorry, Duncan. My condolences.

Great post, though. I had my first colonoscopy right after I turned 50. Clean as a whistle. Now 3 years out from the next one, I'm hoping they've improved the pre-game prep routine.

LoneWolf 05-25-2023 10:44 AM

Great post! May your father rest in peace. Appreciate the reminder about colonoscopies. I had to cancel the one I had scheduled in January due to an unexpected work trip and I haven't rescheduled.

Hydrae 05-25-2023 10:46 AM

Sorry to hear of your loss. Very nice post though. I am 62 and get a physical every year and had a colonoscopy a couple of years ago. But this was a great PSA basically in honor of your dad.

Good luck tomorrow, that is going to be tough I am sure.

KCUnited 05-25-2023 10:46 AM

Condolences, Duncan.

To your last point, I had my doctor order me a Colorguard after a routine visit on Monday

I hadn't heard of it, and for those that don't know, its a colon cancer pre-screen intended for 45 and older that can be administered at home

Its "good" for 3 years, but can lead to a full colonoscopy recommendation if it gives off an indicator of possible cancer dna and/or blood in the stool

FlaChief58 05-25-2023 10:47 AM

Rip, sorry for your loss.

I lost my dad 14 years ago to esophageal cancer 2 months before my granddaughter was born. He was so looking forward to spoiling her , but sadly never got the chance. Still hurts when I think about it.

Shiver Me Timbers 05-25-2023 10:48 AM

Sorry to hear that. God Speed to your pops.
Good advice you have given- Get your check ups CP!

KCFalcon59 05-25-2023 10:49 AM

Sorry for your loss. R.I.P

ChiefsFan63 05-25-2023 10:55 AM

My deepest sympathy on your loss. I too am jealous of your relationship with your dad. I never had that with my dad and he died 7 years ago. Fortunately I have a great relationship with my step-dad who has been in my life for over 40 years now.

I have no doubt that watching that first Chiefs game without him will bring a few tears, of both joy and loss. Revel in those good times. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Nightfyre 05-25-2023 10:55 AM

Sorry for your loss Duncan. I can't imagine losing my dad. He is my rock in life. I hope you and your family can celebrate his life, and that he lives on in the impact he had on you and your loved ones. That legacy is the best gift you can give him in his afterlife, I imagine. Condolences.

wazu 05-25-2023 10:58 AM

Sorry for your loss of your father, Duncan. Sounds like he was a good one. I'm glad he got to enjoy 2 Super Bowl wins and seeing Mahomes play for his favorite team.

Also want to reiterate the point you made about getting Colonoscopies. I believe the age you are supposed to start is now 45, then you don't need one again for 10 years. If anybody reading this is 40+ and still not seeing their doc for an annual physical, it's time to change that. You can live another 40+ years, but if you aren't getting the check-ups recommended by your doctor that timeline could be cut dramatically and tragically short.

Hog's Gone Fishin 05-25-2023 11:00 AM

Lost mine two years ago, I just received an old photo album in the mail from my brother yesterday the was full of photos of my Dad and I playing when I was a toddler. Now I'm 59 ,Just hits home at how short life really is.

Condolences my friend.