ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Geno Smith fans roll call (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263890)

rico 09-18-2012 06:45 PM

IN

bevischief 09-18-2012 06:56 PM

WTF I am in as well have been in since I read this morning.

SAUTO 09-18-2012 06:57 PM

Hey mother ****er you forgot me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Black Bob 09-18-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8925977)
Again with the bunny hop stuff. I'll let Pest handle that.

I'm also not seeing where he doesn't lead his receivers. I hope you're not talking about the bubble screens, are you? Every other completed pass I saw was very well-timed and accurate. Great arm with plenty of zip on the ball. That arm is absolutely something that can not be taught in this league. It's an RGIII arm. And Smith's got it.

Check the LSU tape. He doesn't hit them in stride. I'm not talking bubble screens. They have to slow down to catch the ball or he misses them all together.

bevischief 09-18-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 8926274)
Hey mother ****er you forgot me.
Posted via Mobile Device

You weren't the only one...

RealSNR 09-18-2012 07:00 PM

Apologies for those I forgot. This is a long list, you understand. Geno Mania is sweeping the nation!

WV 09-18-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBob (Post 8925428)
No offense taken.

If anyone else is interested in watching the bunny hop or the terrible play action sell, please watch the link I posted. Also, check the link to the LSU game. The scary thing in that video is his inability to hit receivers in stride. Almost every pass he completes requires the receiver to slow down on his route or the route is a hitch.

This is exactly what I am afraid of. Drafting a first round QB for the sake of drafting one. This guy might be OK but he will need alot of coaching. He still has a ton to prove over the rest of this season. His flaws are big ones.

You clearly need to watch more tape.

RealSNR 09-18-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBob (Post 8926281)
Check the LSU tape. He doesn't hit them in stride.

LMAO

He's not Aaron Rodgers in the LSU tape, but he's doing a pretty decent job while under pressure. Better than anything I've seen from Matty Lukewarm.

That's from a college junior going up against the #1 defense in the nation. He looks VERY good in that tape. West Virginia also has an improved team around him from last year, and Geno himself seems to have picked up his game another notch. He'll get national attention against good teams eventually, and if he performs well, he deserves to be #1 overall.

Saccopoo 09-18-2012 07:05 PM

This is Smith in his sophomore year, first year as a starter and the year before Holgorsen was hired as offensive coordinator/head coach.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uNsvPiZAWZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ForeverChiefs58 09-18-2012 07:05 PM

Sign me up for his bandwagon.

Here he is vs Clemson in the Orange Bowl
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GB5OW9i7KHs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In the first game of his senior season Geno Smith completed 32 of 36 passes for 323 yards and 4 touchdowns while adding 65 yards and another TD carrying the ball against Marshall
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_47VbmsFFlI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In the second game of his senior season Geno Smith completed 34 of 39 passes for 411 yards and 5 touchdowns and had 2 carries for 18 yards. He also passed Marc Bulger as WVU's career passing yardage leader
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PqZCUfb1dl4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reaper16 09-18-2012 07:06 PM

Honestly, being able to complete passes on that legendary LSU secondary last year is impressive enough.

SAUTO 09-18-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 8926290)
You weren't the only one...

Shit I haven't said it in this thread though lol. I have said it before
Posted via Mobile Device

Black Bob 09-18-2012 07:07 PM

Watch this highlight tape. Check out the last two TDs. His footwork is bad. Watch the play action pass movement. What the **** is that? Watch his feet on the last throw. He is jumping. He's not shuffling. Watch the throw. It is short and hangs because of the footwork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EyPqRRVcRs

Watch the clemswon tape up there. When he starts hopping the pass always hangs and is bad. When he shuffles or crosses his feet, he is fine. This is going to be what the scouts are talking about. Half the battle with QBs is their feet.

SAUTO 09-18-2012 07:09 PM

Please don't tell me people are arguing with black bob over something he said that was just ****ing ignorant again...
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorter 09-18-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 8926295)
You clearly need to learn how to use your eyes and understand football, you ****ing moron. Jesus Christ BlackBob.

Fixed

Sorter 09-18-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 8926319)
Please don't tell me people are arguing with black bob over something he said that was just ****ing ignorant again...
Posted via Mobile Device

It is happening again...

Saccopoo 09-18-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8926309)
Honestly, being able to complete passes on that legendary LSU secondary last year is impressive enough.

463 yards on that secondary. With that defensive front in his grill all game long.

Mother****ing superstud.

Cornstock 09-18-2012 07:12 PM

I'm on board dude. I need to be optimistic about something Chiefs related because this season isn't doing it for me.

SAUTO 09-18-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8926326)
It is happening again...

Holy ****.

I swear he's not a troll. I totally believe he isn't.

Dude is just so far off...I don't even know what to say.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nightfyre 09-18-2012 07:12 PM

I think I will tentatively put him atop my list. Look, none of this year's prospects approach Luck/RG3 levels of love from me. But given that Wilson has concussion issues, Barkley is inconsistent and has an average arm, Landry Jones is a game-manager, and Bray has character issues, he seems like the best prospect to me. So add me to the roster.

Bump 09-18-2012 07:13 PM

I would love to get him. But do you honestly think a black QB could make it in KC? The first time he runs instead of passes CP will have a melt down of epic proportions.

SAUTO 09-18-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 8924850)
*Pushes chips all in*

This.

Gotta sell the farm for this ****ing kid.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr_Tomahawk 09-18-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 8926332)
I think I will tentatively put him atop my list. Look, none of this year's prospects approach Luck/RG3 levels of love from me. But given that Wilson has concussion issues, Barkley is inconsistent and has an average arm, Landry Jones is a game-manager, and Bray has character issues, he seems like the best prospect to me. So add me to the roster.

Does Wilson have a history of concussions?

SAUTO 09-18-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8926334)
I would love to get him. But do you honestly think a black QB could make it in KC? The first time he runs instead of passes CP will have a melt down of epic proportions.

JFC.

Yeah no black people live in kc.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr_Tomahawk 09-18-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Dum.

RealSNR 09-18-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBob (Post 8926313)
Watch this highlight tape. Check out the last two TDs. His footwork is bad. Watch the play action pass movement. What the **** is that? Watch his feet on the last throw. He is jumping. He's not shuffling. Watch the throw. It is short and hangs because of the footwork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EyPqRRVcRs

Watch the clemswon tape up there. When he starts hopping the pass always hangs and is bad. When he shuffles or crosses his feet, he is fine. This is going to be what the scouts are talking about. Half the battle with QBs is their feet.

First of all, when you're in the pocket making your reads, the appropriate technique is to do those short little inch-high hops with both feet. Smith is shuffling, which isn't the norm or what a QB coach would teach you to do.

However, there's nothing wrong with shuffling your feet like that when you survey the field. If his pro coaches have their periods about that, that is something that can be EASILY fixed by Smith over one offseason. He's not rebuilding his throwing motion or anything.

Footwork only matters when you drop back and when you plant and throw. Smith plants and throws every single time, and he does it correctly.

You're being an idiot again.

Nightfyre 09-18-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 8926339)
Does Wilson have a history of concussions?

I believe he's missed time due to two now. I think if he fell to the second round I would jump ALL OVER that shit, though.

Chief_For_Life58 09-18-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

a black qb would be fully embraced in kc. Itd be a perfect place. I was really hoping we woulda drafted Freeman with our first pick when we had the chance being a home town guy it would of really excited the fan base but what do I know im just a lonely little chiefs fan that wants them to win a superbowl

Sorter 09-18-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

http://gifs.gifbin.com/sw50sw8sw578.gif

Chief_For_Life58 09-18-2012 07:39 PM

Lets get Geno and Tavon austin in the draft as a package deal

WV 09-18-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 8926372)
Lets get Geno and Tavon austin in the draft as a package deal

:thumb:

DeezNutz 09-18-2012 07:45 PM

Not sure why I have to post in this thread to be added to the list. I'm not one of the originators, but I've been talking about the kid for a minute now.

Black Bob 09-18-2012 07:47 PM

It's cool. I am just not going to commit to a guy like that just yet. I see flaws and I voiced them. If you don't, that's OK with me. Right now, I don't see him as a first round QB. I want to see more this year. The main knock on the guy will be his footwork. It is easy to see his footwork is messing him up. It's the same on almost every bad throw.

Also, Alabama had the best defense last year. LSU might have been better on paper but they weren't a better defense.

KCUnited 09-18-2012 07:48 PM

Like the majority on the list, I haven't watched enough of the guy to form an opinion. But put me down so I can say I was one of the first because that's the currency here.

Reaper16 09-18-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBob (Post 8926389)
It's cool. I am just not going to commit to a guy like that just yet. I see flaws and I voiced them. If you don't, that's OK with me. Right now, I don't see him as a first round QB. I want to see more this year. The main knock on the guy will be his footwork.

Also, Alabama had the best defense last year. LSU might have been better on paper but they weren't a better defense.

By all means, knock LSU's defense for only being a mere top 15 defense of all time when Alabama's that same year happened to be a top 5 defense of all time.

Black Bob 09-18-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8926394)
By all means, knock LSU's defense for only being a mere top 15 defense of all time when Alabama's that same year happened to be a top 5 defense of all time.

I have seen them multiple times. They beat the shit out my team in the SEC championship.

Also, bleacher Report thinks we should take Smith! It's a double jinx....LMAO

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ack-geno-smith

Speaking of LSU, Mettenberger is one we should watch. He had a really strong arm as UGA as a freshmen. However, he got kicked off the team for off the field problems. If he has a great year, he could come out.

Chiefs=Champions 09-18-2012 08:30 PM

Yep im a fan. I just want a little qb of our own. Is that too much?!

-King- 09-18-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

What in the ****?

wazu 09-18-2012 09:29 PM

Okay, I've seen enough. Sign me up for this bandwagon.

Pablo 09-18-2012 09:49 PM

I'm in.

Saccopoo 09-18-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 8926619)
Okay, I've seen enough. Sign me up for this bandwagon.

http://i7.glitter-graphics.org/pub/1...t6tpk81fev.gif

KcMizzou 09-18-2012 10:04 PM

I've honestly never seen the guy play. But I'm all for drafting our own stud QB for once. (Or at least making an effort) I'll see him this season, because I'm still interested in the Big 12... and because the hype around here makes me curious.

dmahurin 09-18-2012 10:06 PM

Count me in.

wazu 09-18-2012 10:21 PM

By the way - anybody post yet that Walter already has the Chiefs taking Geno? http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

Saccopoo 09-18-2012 10:27 PM

From a site called draftmonster:

Quote:

Size: At 6’3″ Smith has the requisite height for a prototypical quarterback in the NFL, his 214 pound frame, however, leaves something to be desired. Smith will need to put on weight and “thicken up” for the repeated hits he’ll take at the NFL level. His frame suggests he could add ten pounds, and I’d be highly surprised if he doesn’t by the time the combine rolls around.

Arm Strength: On tape, you notice the arm strength on Smith right away. He has a compact release, yet still gets the ball out with sizzle. He can make all throw on the route tree, including the vaunted “deep out.” He displays above average velocity on his short and intermediate throws, and has no problems driving the ball in the deep game. He exhibits “plus” arm strength when throwing on the move.

Accuracy: Smith does extremely well in the short and intermediate game, placing the ball where only his receiver has a chance to make a play on it. He displays appropriate velocity and touch, and attempts to hit his receiver in stride, allowing for greater yards after the catch. He displays excellent placement on back shoulder throws, putting the ball where only his receiver can get it. Smith spins a clean catchable football, with a tight rotation. His deep ball leaves a bit to be desired, but this was often masked by the superior athleticism of his wide receivers.

Mechanics: Smith exhibits natural bend at the knees and balance with his footwork in the pocket, is consistently in an effective throwing position. He possesses an impressive feel in the pocket, subtly moves away from pressure, keeps eye level down the field and isn’t afraid to take a shot after letting go of the football. His short, compact release allows him to get the ball out much quicker which will be huge at the next level.

Athleticism: Smith is a very good athlete, and can hurt you with his legs on the move. He takes good care of the football and knows when to take off. He is natural & coordinated on the move, throws accurately off the boot play-action game, and generates good torque from the hips, consistently squaring his shoulders toward his target. He shows great ability to reset after contact, and find his man down field. Smith can pick up extra yardage with his feet, and will have to be accounted for at the next level.

Pre/Post snap Reads: Smith goes through his progressions very well, and can work his way quickly across the field and back to his check down man if need be, really does know where everyone is throughout his progression. He displays natural timing and knows when the football needs to come out and rarely is late, even when throwing to secondary and tertiary targets. Smith doesn’t seem to have any trouble diagnosing pressure, and using his athleticism to buy time for his receivers to get open.

Pocket Poise: Smith looks very comfortable in the pocket. He has a natural slide step he uses to avoid pressure. He keeps his eye level up and downfield, doesn’t drop and look to take off early. He will stand in the pocket and take a hit.

Intangibles: Smith seems to have all the intangibles you look for in franchise quarterback. To me he leaped off the tape in nearly every facet of the game. His deep ball could use better touch and accuracy, and I’d like to see him not throw high over the middle unnecessarily, as he seemed to do against LSU (2011). He is something of a rhythm passer.

Saccopoo 09-18-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 8926749)
By the way - anybody post yet that Walter already has the Chiefs taking Geno? http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

He is not going to be there at #8.

Especially with Wilson's concussion issue and Barkley showing middling arm strength and decision making.

The Chiefs are either going to have to do one of two things to get Geno:

1. Suck, and suck hard. The Raiders will take Smith in a heartbeat.

2. Sell the draft. At this point, giving up an equivalent to what the Redskins did for RGIII is okay by me if we can get a franchise QB.

-King- 09-18-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8926763)

Especially with Wilson's concussion issue and Barkley showing middling arm strength and decision making.

2. Sell the draft. At this point, giving up an equivalent to what the Redskins did for RGIII is okay by me if we can get a franchise QB.

Do the raiders have a first next year?
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock 09-18-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 8926781)
Posted via Mobile Device

I believe they do.

wazu 09-18-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8926763)

I'm on board with all of that. In fact, if we obtain Geno through whatever means necessary, I'll be happy to be a full-on apologist for whatever GM makes that move for a good 4 years before I lose faith, even if it's Pioli.

clyde05 09-19-2012 12:27 AM

I'm in but the chiefs will prob mess it up and finish 7-9, although I don't know how with they way they have looked.

DeezNutz 09-19-2012 05:09 AM

If the Chiefs lose this weekend, the season is over. At this point, it would be in the organization's best interest to play Stanzi, and one of two things will happen:

1. Stanzi surprises and is legitimately "the guy." Cool.
2. Stanzi doesn't surprise, sucks complete ass, but allows us to tank the season, thus being in position to draft "the guy." Cool.

Mr_Tomahawk 09-19-2012 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8926986)
If the Chiefs lose this weekend, the season is over. At this point, it would be in the organization's best interest to play Stanzi, and one of two things will happen:

2. Stanzi doesn't surprise, sucks complete ass, but allows us to tank the season, thus being in position to draft "the guy." Cool.

3 comes before 2?

ForeverChiefs58 09-19-2012 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 8926781)
Posted via Mobile Device

they have a 1st, but no 2nd from Carson Palmer.

-King- 09-19-2012 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8926986)

Cassel plays every game. Angry mob attacks Clark Hunt in his home. Cool.
Posted via Mobile Device

O.city 09-19-2012 07:36 AM

We can't **** this up this year, line we did with meaningless wins last year. Win 2 games or less. Yeah it sucks for fans etc but it's for the greater good. This time next year we could be sitting with the same skill guys or even better skill guys and this guy at qb.

Although I think there is collectively too much individual talent to lose that much but it could be the perfect storm

RealSNR 09-19-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8927104)
We can't **** this up this year, line we did with meaningless wins last year. Win 2 games or less. Yeah it sucks for fans etc but it's for the greater good. This time next year we could be sitting with the same skill guys or even better skill guys and this guy at qb.

Although I think there is collectively too much individual talent to lose that much but it could be the perfect storm

That doesn't seem to bother Romeo

Dr. Gigglepants 09-19-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8927104)

The Hillis fumble on the 1 yard line last week gives me the feeling this may be a cursed season. A blessedly, miraculously cursed season. I'm keeno for Geno.

Saul Good 09-19-2012 08:59 AM

I'm in.

And may I submit "lose sixteeno for Geno" for the academy's consideration?

O.city 09-19-2012 09:03 AM

Last year we messed up. Start palko last three, 5-11. Colts finish us off and rivers doesn't fumble a gift away, 3-13. Bears miracle, 2-14 and a coin flip for rgIII.

Mirage of a season ending in hope and 7-9. Don't **** it up this year, do what you should have years ago and suck shit, clean house. New gm new geno smith qb and let's move forward

Pablo 09-19-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Badguy (Post 8927254)
I'm in.

I like it; but it doesn't have to be approved by some fake academy nobody cares about. Use it.

Sorter 09-19-2012 11:27 AM

I'm on board with Tyler Wilson and Geno. Have been campaigning for those 2 for quite some time now.

MahiMike 09-19-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 8924497)
Marshall Highlights. He makes some nice throws in this game and has deceptive speed. He is a long strider when he pulls it down. And his arm strength is pretty good IMO.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZyZ4TCpD-g8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I couldn't get past the horrid rap music. Did he say he gon' make tuna caserole outta cameltoe?

Sorter 09-19-2012 01:30 PM

Here you go Mahi

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bZo__7PRl8A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Additionally, can we put this and as the season progresses his snaps in the OP?

ForeverChiefs58 09-19-2012 01:44 PM

Week 3 Heisman Watch: Geno Smith leads wide-open race as Matt Barkley falters

Week 3 of the college football season is in the books, and the race for the 2012 Heisman Trophy has been dramatically altered.

USC's Matt Barkley is the latest preseason favorite to stumble, throwing two interceptions in a huge loss to Stanford.

These are the players who currently stand the best chance of actually winning the Heisman Trophy.

Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia -- Smith is off to a great start so far this season, with 734 passing yards and nine touchdown passes (with no interceptions) in his first two games. He is completing an amazing 88 percent of his passes and has an efficiency rating of 209. He is on pace to run and pass for 60 touchdowns. Granted, he is putting up these numbers against awful competition, but we all know he's a very good quarterback playing in a passer-friendly system. It's going to be difficult to for him to maintain this level against Big 12 competition, but he'll still be very productive. As with Robert Griffin III last year, he's not expected to lead his team to an undefeated season, and so Heisman voters will look to his overall numbers and how well he performs against Big 12 traditional powers like Texas and Oklahoma to gauge his worthiness. Given his solid name recognition, his potential for an elite statistical season and his odd status as a Mid-Atlantic player competing in the Southwest, he's at the top of this Watch ... for now.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...arkley-falters

ForeverChiefs58 09-19-2012 01:50 PM

Geno Smith not fazed by Heisman, RG3 talk

The comparisons? Well, they're inevitable. A quarterback with that kind of efficiency is rare.

This time last year, Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III had thrown 13 touchdown passes to just 12 incompletions through three games.

Through two games, West Virginia's Geno Smith has accounted for 10 touchdowns (one rushing) and thrown just nine incompletions.

The rarity has necessitated comparison, and Smith has already taken notice.

"I’ve been hearing all about that, and I want to put a stop to that real soon," Smith said. "RG3’s a great guy and he’s doing good things in the NFL and I’m only a college quarterback hoping to get where he is. We’re two different guys. He has a different style and I have a different style, and I’m pretty sure the only thing we both hope to do is just win games."

After Week 2, Smith's also the frontrunner for the Heisman Trophy, which Griffin won last season. Like Griffin, Smith would be the program's first Heisman winner.

"It’d be better for the program and the exposure that we’ll get, but it will not make me feel better about myself or a notch on my belt. It’ll just be another trophy that I won," Smith said. "I understand that the Heisman is the biggest individual accolade in sports, and I’m honored to be mentioned among the likes of guys who worked so hard every year and who have done it in the past, but at the same time, my only goal is to win the national championship and I really want to make that clear."

Still, Smith looks like a new man this year and West Virginia a new team ready to make a big dent in the Big 12 during its first year in the league.

"Something happens to guys when they’re seniors," coach Dana Holgorsen said. "His body’s different. He’s gained weight. He’s bigger, he’s faster, he’s more confident, so he’s improved and he’s been practicing like this since the beginning of August. Watching him translate it out there in games has been fun to watch as a coach."

That talk of improvement? Smith says he feels like it's "overblown." The scariest part for defenses? He doesn't feel like he's playing much better than last year, though statistics suggest he is.

Smith completed 66 percent of his passes through two games last season, and never once had a game in which he completed more than 74 percent of his passes.

This year, Smith is completing 88 percent of his passes in two games.

"Honestly, I don’t think I’m playing that great. I’ve been making some good decisions, but I’m really inaccurate at times and guys have been bailing me out," Smith said. "I think some of it’s been overblown. It’s only been Game 2 so I think I can play a lot better. We’ll see. That’ll come with time."

Instead, Smith credits shorter throws to Tavon Austin, who turns short screens into 10+ yard gains, or Stedman Bailey's ability to climb over defenders for acrobatic catches.

Holgorsen? It's safe to say he disagrees. Opponents likely would as well.

"Obviously, we stress completion percentage, but just monitoring the game and having an idea of where we want him to go with the ball, I feel like he’s doing a really good job of that," Holgorsen said.

Five or six times already this season, Holgorsen says, Smith has avoided a likely sack. Sometimes that means tucking the ball and running on a broken play, like Smith did on his 28-yard touchdown run against Marshall.

Other times, that means buying a couple seconds to dump the ball to a back in the flats.

"He could be a running quarterback if we wanted to, but our offense isn’t going to let you put that tag on him," Holgorsen said.

It's still early, and Holgorsen and Smith don't need any reminders that life in Morgantown will get much tougher in the weeks to come. Maryland treks to Morgantown this Saturday, but for now, Smith has validated his status as the Big 12's best player, and emerged as arguably the best player in college football.

"We have to get a lot better, we’ve got to play a lot better and clean some things up and I think we’ll continue to do that. It’s all a learning process. ... as of right now we’re not near where we want to be come January," Smith said. "The hardest thing to do is not get complacent after you win 3, 4, 5 games and think you’ve figured it all out. Once you do that, that’s when you take a loss."

Implied within Smith's comments is that his team will still be playing come January. So far, he and his teammates have played well enough where the prospect is easy to believe.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...isman-rg3-talk

Thig Lyfe 09-19-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 8927861)
I couldn't get past the horrid rap music. Did he say he gon' make tuna caserole outta cameltoe?

I would also prefer a version for white people like me!

Sorter 09-19-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 8927982)
I would also prefer a version for white people like me!

I posted it!

milkman 09-19-2012 02:43 PM

Get Smoked for Geno Smith.

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-19-2012 02:46 PM

Down.

Nightfyre 09-19-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 (Post 8927940)
Geno Smith not fazed by Heisman, RG3 talk

The comparisons? Well, they're inevitable. A quarterback with that kind of efficiency is rare.

This time last year, Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III had thrown 13 touchdown passes to just 12 incompletions through three games.

Through two games, West Virginia's Geno Smith has accounted for 10 touchdowns (one rushing) and thrown just nine incompletions.

The rarity has necessitated comparison, and Smith has already taken notice.

"I’ve been hearing all about that, and I want to put a stop to that real soon," Smith said. "RG3’s a great guy and he’s doing good things in the NFL and I’m only a college quarterback hoping to get where he is. We’re two different guys. He has a different style and I have a different style, and I’m pretty sure the only thing we both hope to do is just win games."

After Week 2, Smith's also the frontrunner for the Heisman Trophy, which Griffin won last season. Like Griffin, Smith would be the program's first Heisman winner.

"It’d be better for the program and the exposure that we’ll get, but it will not make me feel better about myself or a notch on my belt. It’ll just be another trophy that I won," Smith said. "I understand that the Heisman is the biggest individual accolade in sports, and I’m honored to be mentioned among the likes of guys who worked so hard every year and who have done it in the past, but at the same time, my only goal is to win the national championship and I really want to make that clear."

Still, Smith looks like a new man this year and West Virginia a new team ready to make a big dent in the Big 12 during its first year in the league.

"Something happens to guys when they’re seniors," coach Dana Holgorsen said. "His body’s different. He’s gained weight. He’s bigger, he’s faster, he’s more confident, so he’s improved and he’s been practicing like this since the beginning of August. Watching him translate it out there in games has been fun to watch as a coach."

That talk of improvement? Smith says he feels like it's "overblown." The scariest part for defenses? He doesn't feel like he's playing much better than last year, though statistics suggest he is.

Smith completed 66 percent of his passes through two games last season, and never once had a game in which he completed more than 74 percent of his passes.

This year, Smith is completing 88 percent of his passes in two games.

"Honestly, I don’t think I’m playing that great. I’ve been making some good decisions, but I’m really inaccurate at times and guys have been bailing me out," Smith said. "I think some of it’s been overblown. It’s only been Game 2 so I think I can play a lot better. We’ll see. That’ll come with time."

Instead, Smith credits shorter throws to Tavon Austin, who turns short screens into 10+ yard gains, or Stedman Bailey's ability to climb over defenders for acrobatic catches.

Holgorsen? It's safe to say he disagrees. Opponents likely would as well.

"Obviously, we stress completion percentage, but just monitoring the game and having an idea of where we want him to go with the ball, I feel like he’s doing a really good job of that," Holgorsen said.

Five or six times already this season, Holgorsen says, Smith has avoided a likely sack. Sometimes that means tucking the ball and running on a broken play, like Smith did on his 28-yard touchdown run against Marshall.

Other times, that means buying a couple seconds to dump the ball to a back in the flats.

"He could be a running quarterback if we wanted to, but our offense isn’t going to let you put that tag on him," Holgorsen said.

It's still early, and Holgorsen and Smith don't need any reminders that life in Morgantown will get much tougher in the weeks to come. Maryland treks to Morgantown this Saturday, but for now, Smith has validated his status as the Big 12's best player, and emerged as arguably the best player in college football.

"We have to get a lot better, we’ve got to play a lot better and clean some things up and I think we’ll continue to do that. It’s all a learning process. ... as of right now we’re not near where we want to be come January," Smith said. "The hardest thing to do is not get complacent after you win 3, 4, 5 games and think you’ve figured it all out. Once you do that, that’s when you take a loss."

Implied within Smith's comments is that his team will still be playing come January. So far, he and his teammates have played well enough where the prospect is easy to believe.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...isman-rg3-talk

When he talks like this, it makes me want him for the Chiefs. Total team talk.

saphojunkie 09-19-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Badguy (Post 8927254)
I'm in.

How about "Tank this ****ing season and draft a mother****ing qb in the ****ing first, you rat bastard commies."

has a nice ring to it.

KCUnited 09-19-2012 02:57 PM

3 1sts and a 5th for Geno Smith

the Talking Can 09-19-2012 02:58 PM

blow dudes for geno

anyone?

oRYMANo 09-19-2012 03:24 PM

Hope chiefs get geno and he does well, but I fear he is a product of the system.

Sorter 09-19-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oRYMANo (Post 8928200)
Hope chiefs get geno and he does well, but I fear he is a product of the system.

Normally, I'd be worried about that too. However, he looks downfield, moves well and adjusts within the pocket, has a good arm, and goes through progressions.

Dayze 09-19-2012 03:30 PM

he doesn't fit well with what we're trying to do here. / Pioli

Mr. Arrowhead 09-19-2012 03:41 PM

He is not Matt Cassel/ Pioli

O.city 09-19-2012 03:42 PM

Best way to make sure we draft a qb next year? Suck shit.

I hope you all enjoyed the shitty 7 win team last year. Because guess what, it's time to buck up and get thru a 1 or 2 win season this year. It's what needs to happen.

saphojunkie 09-19-2012 03:54 PM

I am actively rooting against the Chiefs now. Deal with it.

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-19-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 8928298)
I am actively rooting against the Chiefs now. Deal with it.

Might as well jump.

http://kategale.files.wordpress.com/...d-lee-roth.jpg