ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Geno Smith fans roll call (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263890)

O.city 09-19-2012 03:57 PM

I will gladly fall on the "2-14" sword this season. Hell 1-15 is fine with me. The Colts won what 1 or 2 last year and are probably better than we are right now.

Black Bob 09-19-2012 06:20 PM

A guy on the radio talked about the Manning passing academy today. He talked about this year's camp. He said Smith's footwork was better than expected. He also said Aaron Murray was the most pro ready QB at the camp. I guess he looked the best.

I still think Smith's feet will be the question as we get closer to the draft. I wouldn't take Murray because has not proven to be a good leader.

I'm just not ready to commit yet. It will be interesting to watch Mettenberger against Auburn this weekend. I think he's got the strongest arm college football has seen since Stafford... He's 6 ft. 5 inches 230 pounds. He's a junior and I think he'll come out if he has a good year. I think he'll be a better version of Ryan Mallet.

DeezNutz 09-19-2012 06:21 PM

Murray is a better prospect than most give credit for on this board.

Sorter 09-19-2012 06:23 PM

The only person who hates him as a prospect is Setsuna.

RealSNR 09-19-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 8928102)
When he talks like this, it makes me want him for the Chiefs. Total team talk.

The anti-Matt Cassel.

I don't see any mention of "We" in there. "I" need to do a better job. "I" need to clean up mistakes.

Exactly what we don't have right now.

DeezNutz 09-19-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8928313)
I will gladly fall on the "2-14" sword this season. Hell 1-15 is fine with me. The Colts won what 1 or 2 last year and are probably better than we are right now.

Drop the "probably." I'd love like shit to be the Colts right now.

There would be so much optimism and forward-thinking on this board that n00bs would think it's the ****ing competent version of WPI.

Bewbies 09-19-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8928674)

I watch him every week. I'd pass, he's way too streaky, and when he's off he's absolutely horrible.

Black Bob 09-19-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8928674)

I am a huge UGA fan but, I have seen him choke in the time of need several times. If he can't improve in this area this season, I wouldn't want him. That is a really big deal to me when evaluating QBs. They gotta be able to put the team on their shoulders at the end of games.

Far too many NFL games are decided in the 4th quarter.

DeezNutz 09-19-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 8928687)
I watch him every week. I'd pass, he's way too streaky, and when he's off he's absolutely horrible.

Would you mind elaborating a bit more about what you mean by "off"?

Admittedly, you've seen more of the player than me, but what I've seen as someone who seems to be mechanically sound and consistent with his approach.

Plus, he has the requisite size and arm strength.

Bewbies 09-19-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8928694)
Would you mind elaborating a bit more about what you mean by "off"?

Admittedly, you've seen more of the player than me, but what I've seen as someone who seems to be mechanically sound and consistent with his approach.

Plus, he has the requisite size and arm strength.

Did you watch the UGA/Mizzou game? Compare how he looked in the first half and the second half. Two different quarterbacks.

He does that all the time.

Thig Lyfe 09-19-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8928002)
I posted it!

If it's not Creed, it's not white enough.

Black Bob 09-19-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 8928714)
Did you watch the UGA/Mizzou game? Compare how he looked in the first half and the second half. Two different quarterbacks.

I'd agree with that. In fact, i don't think he's had rhythm once this year. I'm not sure what is up with him?

Bewbies 09-19-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBob (Post 8928723)
I'd agree with that. In fact, i don't think he's had rhythm once this year. I'm not sure what is up with him?

He's got the tools, I wonder how much the local idiot Bobo holds him back...?

jd1020 09-19-2012 06:39 PM

**** Murray. He's one of those "next year" QBs.

Thig Lyfe 09-19-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 (Post 8927940)
This year, Smith is completing 88 percent of his passes in two games.

"Honestly, I don’t think I’m playing that great. I’ve been making some good decisions, but I’m really inaccurate at times and guys have been bailing me out," Smith said. "I think some of it’s been overblown. It’s only been Game 2 so I think I can play a lot better. We’ll see. That’ll come with time."

He's grading out perfectly... in my heart.

<3

DeezNutz 09-19-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 8928714)

Of course.

His performance in that game did/does nothing to lower my evaluation of him as a prospect.

Black Bob 09-19-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 8928730)
He's got the tools, I wonder how much the local idiot Bobo holds him back...?

Who knows... What was up in the Mizzou game? We ran the spread most of the night. What was that? It's like he bought into the "old man football" comment or something. We need to run the ball and help Murray get comfortable. I really wish Bobo would go....

Coogs 09-19-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 (Post 8927940)
Geno Smith not fazed by Heisman, RG3 talk

The comparisons? Well, they're inevitable. A quarterback with that kind of efficiency is rare.

This time last year, Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III had thrown 13 touchdown passes to just 12 incompletions through three games.

Through two games, West Virginia's Geno Smith has accounted for 10 touchdowns (one rushing) and thrown just nine incompletions.

The rarity has necessitated comparison, and Smith has already taken notice.

"I’ve been hearing all about that, and I want to put a stop to that real soon," Smith said. "RG3’s a great guy and he’s doing good things in the NFL and I’m only a college quarterback hoping to get where he is. We’re two different guys. He has a different style and I have a different style, and I’m pretty sure the only thing we both hope to do is just win games."

After Week 2, Smith's also the frontrunner for the Heisman Trophy, which Griffin won last season. Like Griffin, Smith would be the program's first Heisman winner.

"It’d be better for the program and the exposure that we’ll get, but it will not make me feel better about myself or a notch on my belt. It’ll just be another trophy that I won," Smith said. "I understand that the Heisman is the biggest individual accolade in sports, and I’m honored to be mentioned among the likes of guys who worked so hard every year and who have done it in the past, but at the same time, my only goal is to win the national championship and I really want to make that clear."

Still, Smith looks like a new man this year and West Virginia a new team ready to make a big dent in the Big 12 during its first year in the league.

"Something happens to guys when they’re seniors," coach Dana Holgorsen said. "His body’s different. He’s gained weight. He’s bigger, he’s faster, he’s more confident, so he’s improved and he’s been practicing like this since the beginning of August. Watching him translate it out there in games has been fun to watch as a coach."

That talk of improvement? Smith says he feels like it's "overblown." The scariest part for defenses? He doesn't feel like he's playing much better than last year, though statistics suggest he is.

Smith completed 66 percent of his passes through two games last season, and never once had a game in which he completed more than 74 percent of his passes.

This year, Smith is completing 88 percent of his passes in two games.

"Honestly, I don’t think I’m playing that great. I’ve been making some good decisions, but I’m really inaccurate at times and guys have been bailing me out," Smith said. "I think some of it’s been overblown. It’s only been Game 2 so I think I can play a lot better. We’ll see. That’ll come with time."

Instead, Smith credits shorter throws to Tavon Austin, who turns short screens into 10+ yard gains, or Stedman Bailey's ability to climb over defenders for acrobatic catches.

Holgorsen? It's safe to say he disagrees. Opponents likely would as well.

"Obviously, we stress completion percentage, but just monitoring the game and having an idea of where we want him to go with the ball, I feel like he’s doing a really good job of that," Holgorsen said.

Five or six times already this season, Holgorsen says, Smith has avoided a likely sack. Sometimes that means tucking the ball and running on a broken play, like Smith did on his 28-yard touchdown run against Marshall.

Other times, that means buying a couple seconds to dump the ball to a back in the flats.

"He could be a running quarterback if we wanted to, but our offense isn’t going to let you put that tag on him," Holgorsen said.

It's still early, and Holgorsen and Smith don't need any reminders that life in Morgantown will get much tougher in the weeks to come. Maryland treks to Morgantown this Saturday, but for now, Smith has validated his status as the Big 12's best player, and emerged as arguably the best player in college football.

"We have to get a lot better, we’ve got to play a lot better and clean some things up and I think we’ll continue to do that. It’s all a learning process. ... as of right now we’re not near where we want to be come January," Smith said. "The hardest thing to do is not get complacent after you win 3, 4, 5 games and think you’ve figured it all out. Once you do that, that’s when you take a loss."

Implied within Smith's comments is that his team will still be playing come January. So far, he and his teammates have played well enough where the prospect is easy to believe.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...isman-rg3-talk

I have not seen him play. But this article right here makes me like the guy already. I will definately be looking to find the WV-Maryland game this weekend on TV.

:thumb:

MIAdragon 09-19-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8928733)
**** Murray. He's one of those "next year" QBs.

Sounds familiar.

jd1020 09-19-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 8928761)
Sounds familiar.

Exactly.

O.city 09-19-2012 07:00 PM

I'm on board with this guy.

Mr. Arrowhead 09-19-2012 07:01 PM

why isnt my name on the OP

O.city 09-19-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8924454)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qvrXu9Fsvpk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The play at 3:23, when have you ever once witnessed Matt Cassel make that play.

Dave Lane 09-19-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8924622)
Oh, and the Chiefs can also hire Dana Holgorsen for head coach in 2013. Guy has now twice (OSU and WV) proven his offensive play/style works.

I'm sick of "tree" guys playing 1970's football.

It's time to get this shit into the modern era.

I'm not soldon the guy yet based on the LSU game, but I saw a gleem. Maybe the other videos would help make me a big fan. Mark me down as a fan of Geno's and really any QB.

Also would love an innovative young non tree coach, kinda like Haley without Dr. Evil as a GM.

O.city 09-19-2012 07:18 PM

He was 32 of 36 this year in a game, with 3 drops. Against air thats pretty good.

RGIII exploded with the TCU game last year. Smith needs that type of game this year.

Sorter 09-19-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 8928722)
If it's not Creed, it's not white enough.

LMAO

RealSNR 09-19-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead (Post 8928805)
why isnt my name on the OP

I got bored with adding names. I'll get them all loaded up eventually.

You may have also given me a "Geno Smith is good, but I don't really care, just give me a QB!" We have higher standards in this thread.

O.city 09-19-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8928685)
Drop the "probably." I'd love like shit to be the Colts right now.

There would be so much optimism and forward-thinking on this board that n00bs would think it's the ****ing competent version of WPI.

This.

I'll take the probably out of it.

One 2-14 season, with an addition of Geno Smith to this current roster and a new HC and GM

Saccopoo 09-19-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8928942)
I got bored with adding names. I'll get them all loaded up eventually.

You may have also given me a "Geno Smith is good, but I don't really care, just give me a QB!" We have higher standards in this thread.

Don't you dare let the fence sitters in on this.

**** them.

They better understand the magnificence that is Geno Smith to even be considered to be on this list.

I demand qualifications from here on out.

Post a pic.

Post a vid.

List your undying love of GENO.

**** you fence sitting ****s.

Saccopoo 09-20-2012 12:06 AM

Oh, and by the way, Geno Smith is total kick ass.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hQ0I6AGsKxk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tribal Warfare 09-20-2012 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8929630)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hQ0I6AGsKxk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He's not very eloquent, I hope he's smart to pickup a NFL offense.

Thig Lyfe 09-20-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 8929650)

Do I sense a fellow Creed fan?

Tribal Warfare 09-20-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 8929652)
Do I sense a fellow Creed fan?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/pJ5OMxs1OC0?list=PLC4734229FEC102EB&amp;hl=en_US" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RealSNR 09-20-2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 8929650)

If only he could be as eloquent and smart-sounding as Matt Cassel.

Oh wait. Matt Cassel is a ****ing reerun.

Also, is he not eloquent because he talks like black people do?

Tribal Warfare 09-20-2012 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8929685)

RG3

KC Hawks 09-20-2012 01:27 AM

Is there still room on the bandwagon?

Black Bob 09-20-2012 07:04 AM

Creed is my favorite.

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/P...fice-tv-16.jpg

Chiefnj2 09-20-2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8929630)

If his agent is smart he will try to base Smith's pay on the number of times he says "you know" during interviews.

WV 09-20-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8929685)
If only he could be as eloquent and smart-sounding as Matt Cassel.

Oh wait. Matt Cassel is a ****ing reerun.

Not defending his comments, but I'll add that my cousins attend WVU and Geno isn't regarded as the sharpest tool in the shed. However, your statement speaks volumes about Cassel.....I'll still take Geno any day of the week.

Black Bob 09-20-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 8929821)
Not defending his comments, but I'll add that my cousins attend WVU and Geno isn't regarded as the sharpest tool in the shed. However, your statement speaks volumes about Cassel.....I'll still take Geno any day of the week.

I'm not saying he is dumb but, if Pioli is here, he won't take a QB that isn't smart. You can bet the farm on that.

lcarus 09-20-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBob (Post 8929831)
I'm not saying he is dumb but, if Pioli is here, he won't take a QB that isn't smart. You can bet the farm on that.

Oh by the way, I've been meaning to ask, who are you? You're way too ingrained in this place to only be a noob that registered last month. There's no way. Unless I'm missing something...

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-20-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8929414)
Don't you dare let the fence sitters in on this.

**** them.

They better understand the magnificence that is Geno Smith to even be considered to be on this list.

I demand qualifications from here on out.

Post a pic.

Post a vid.

List your undying love of GENO.

**** you fence sitting ****s.

OMG, Sacc actually WANTS a ****ing QB.

The world...

has turned...

upside down.

ForeverChiefs58 09-20-2012 01:01 PM

Terps will have their hands full with Geno Smith, Mountaineers’ ‘Air Raid’ offense

Demetrius Hartsfield has faced plenty of top-flight quarterbacks in his collegiate career. By the Maryland linebacker’s estimation, West Virginia senior Geno Smith is far and away the best.

The Terrapins will have their hands full Saturday with the Mountaineers’s offense, which is averaging more than 600 yards and 55 points through two games this season. Smith, the program’s career passing leader, is among the early Heisman Trophy hopefuls.

With pass blocking that mirrors punt protection, West Virginia doesn’t use a tight end. The Mountaineers spread the field, so one missed tackle on the outside can turn into a 40- or 50-yard gain. Deep and athletic, their fourth or fifth receivers can out-sprint linebackers dropping into coverage, and they often utilize shovel passes underneath as pseudo-running plays.

Smith ranks second in the bowl subdivision with 408.50 total yards per game, including 411 passing yards and five touchdowns last weekend in a 42-12 blowout of James Madison at FedEx Field. That effort made him West Virginia’s career leader in completions and touchdowns, surpassing Marc Bulger, who attended Pittsburgh’s Central Catholic, Terps quarterback Perry Hills’s alma mater.

“He’s got a great arm, but he knows where to go with the ball,” Coach Randy Edsall. “And some of the throws he makes, there’s some good coverage, putting the ball right where it needs to be. I think his accuracy has improved since last year.

“When you watch the film, pretty much being in it as long as I’ve been in it, you can see the level of confidence, and you can see he’s playing with a tremendous level of it. We hope we can shake it a little bit, get where his confidence is off a little early. If we can disrupt him, that will be to our advantage.”

Smith is an experienced senior, while Hills will be making just his fourth collegiate start. During the weekly Big 12 teleconference, Mountaineers Coach Dana Holgorsen commended Smith for his offseason weight gains, which have bulked him up to 220 pounds.

“Those big quarterbacks, when you come, you have to come hard and make sure you put them down,” Terps defensive lineman A.J. Francis said.

Getting to Smith early and often will be a major part of Maryland’s game plan, though the veteran quarterback rarely strings together bad sequences, especially at home. He threw two interceptions in three games last season, twice on the road and once at home against LSU.

“Everybody just wants to beat him,” Hartsfield said. “It’s not like we’re putting him out in the spotlight like he’s the guy we have to beat, but we know that if he has a great game, their chances of winning are a lot higher. He’s the starting point.”

The Terps are banking on a repeat of the second half the last time these two teams met, and not the first. On Sept. 17, 2011 at Byrd Stadium, the Mountaineers took a 27-10 halftime lead, but managed just one touchdown and a field goal in the second half, and the Terps battled back from that early deficit and wound up losing 37-31. Smith finished 36 of 49 for 388 yards and one touchdown.

“If you hit a quarterback a bunch of times, sooner or later you’re going to get into his head. It doesn’t matter who you’re playing,” Francis said. “They don’t get hit all week in practice. If you hit him early, and make him know you’re there, he’ll start throwing the ball a little quicker, hopefully make some mistakes. That’s every quarterback.”

Smith thrives through the weapons around him, none more productive than receiver Tavon Austin, a Baltimore native who was a first-team All-American return specialist in 2011 and had 101 receptions for 1,186 yards and eight touchdowns his junior season.

The last time Maryland played in Morgantown, a 31-17 West Virginia victory, Austin and Smith teamed up for two early touchdowns as the Mountaineers scored the game’s first 28 points. With that unorthodox attack, dubbed “Air Raid,” West Virginia can effectively operate its rushing game via short, shuttle passes. Stopping those, Francis said, will be top priority.

“You know they’re going to throw the ball,” he said. “They’re going to get some plays because they have so many athletes and a great quarterback. But they get a lot of yardage on quick shuttle passes that are like run plays to Tavon or others. It ends up being a rush, and they’ll get rush yardage.

“You know they’re going to pass, but if they can run the ball, you’re in trouble because their playbook is wide open.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...rss=rss_sports

ForeverChiefs58 09-20-2012 01:54 PM

Smith brushes off some big hits

WEST VIRGINIA Mountaineers QB, offense tuning up for rigors of Big 12

Of all the things quarterback Geno Smith did well Saturday night for No. 8 West Virginia, one factor that may prove beneficial against the more sizable Big 12 Conference defenses was his ability to elude sacks and withstand physical play.

Smith absorbed a few bone-jarring hits by James Madison, the first real evidence of his added strength from the offseason. But he always got a pass off.

"It's kind of a blessing. I think I got some strong bones," said Smith. "I just take those hits, I get up, my O-line they always come and ask me if I'm all right. They know I'm all right but it's just good they always ask me."

Smith added 25 pounds in the offseason.

"I've always taken hits and always been able to get up," Smith said. "I'm not a cold tub guy, a guy who needs a lot of treatment."

The most notable collision came just before halftime when Smith was hit hard from the blind side by a blitzing defensive back just seconds after getting off a downfield throw.

He ended up on the turf of FedEx Field but stood up and brushed himself off before the defender did.

The series ended two plays later with no points to show for it, a small victory for the Dukes.

But Coach Mickey Matthews, who dished significant praise Smith's way, said they just couldn't bring him down.

"Their quarterback, you just can't sack that guy," Matthews said. "He's quicker than our defensive linemen.

"When I was at Georgia we used to play Peyton Manning and that was the biggest problem we had with him. We couldn't sack Peyton because he was bigger than our defensive linemen.

"That's what Geno is. We're big up front defensively, but we couldn't bring him down."

Coach Dana Holgorsen, in his postgame remarks, noted that Smith will have to get better at recognizing the blitz when the team faces physically stronger defenses down the road.

"When you face some of the D-linemen we're going to be facing, those aren't going to be as easy to get out of," Holgorsen said. "It was the first time we faced a lot of blitz in a long time. We're going to be able to learn from that. He needs to do a better job of getting the ball out of his hands when they're doing a lot of blitzing.

"He's not going to be able to sit there and scramble for five seconds."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz272drUv5K

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-20-2012 02:02 PM

Working ourselves up over a QB we will more than likely never even sniff in the upcoming draft.

Memories...

ForeverChiefs58 09-20-2012 02:03 PM

Not labeled as a running QB, Smith improvises

West Virginia senior avoids pressure, completes high percentage of throws

Argue if you want that the statistics posted by West Virginia’s Geno Smith deserve a disclaimer.

Still, the senior quarterback’s tuneups against Marshall and James Madison were impressive, nonetheless.

“If he can continue to play like that against better competition then it’s something special,’’ Mountaineers coach Dana Holgorsen said Monday on the Big 12 teleconference.

Smith has proven he can make special plays. At times, he does so on his own.

Through a 2-0 start that included blowout wins against Marshall and James Madison, Smith improvised to avoid pressure. More so, in fact, than what Holgorsen would prefer since the coach counted at least five would-be sacks averted by his slippery quarterback.

“He’s getting out of situations that are going to be harder to get out of,’’ Holgorsen said.

The result is a 408.5-yard average in total offense, which ranks Smith second nationally. He is 66 of 75 passing for 734 yards. Quick math reveals he has the same number of touchdown throws (nine) as incompletions.

“He’s improved, and he’s been practicing like this since the beginning of August,’’ Holgorsen added. “Watching him translate out there in a game has been fun to watch and coach.’’

Although the scrambles Smith made give him 83 yards rushing through two games, Holgorsen resisted any dual-threat terminology.

“If we wanted to we could do some things that would give him the label of being a running quarterback. It’s just not what our offense is,’’ Holgorsen said.

“We’re not going to work on zone reads and stuff like that. He’s getting rushing yards because he’s doing a good job of getting out of bad situations in the pocket and extending the play.’’

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-20-2012 02:10 PM

That's a great tape, but I see the potential for early-era Sanchez with this guy too.

-King- 09-20-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthCarlSatan (Post 8930846)
That's a great tape, but I see the potential for early-era Sanchez with this guy too.

LMAO What does this even mean?

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-20-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 8930872)
LMAO What does this even mean?

Did you watch any Sanchez/USC tape evar? I see similarities.

Sorter 09-20-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthCarlSatan (Post 8930888)

I don't. They are completely different systems offensively. Smith also seems to have a better arm and pocket presence.

Really, the similarity is that they both play QB IMO.

htismaqe 09-20-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

No.

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-20-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8931010)
I don't. They are completely different systems offensively. Smith also seems to have a better arm and pocket presence.

It's not the system. It's the tendencies and the overall skill-level.

There are similarities.

The Franchise 09-20-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthCarlSatan (Post 8931020)

There are similarities.

No. There aren't.

jd1020 09-20-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8931010)

Neither are white.

ForeverChiefs58 09-20-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

You must mean that he looks like he could win a playoff game.

Sorter 09-20-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8931073)
Neither are white.

LMAO

Sorter 09-20-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthCarlSatan (Post 8931020)

There are similarities.

Have to disagree. Different throwing motion, different footwork within the pocket, different release point. If by tendencies you mean being good college QBs, then yes. Overall skill-level, Geno is probably close to what people though Sanchez's ceiling was before he was drafted.

Sorter 09-20-2012 06:37 PM

I can go more in-depth if you'd really like but I don't want to make myself watch film of Mark Sanchez.

Ever.

DeezNutz 09-20-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8931488)
Overall skill-level, Geno is probably close to what people though Sanchez's ceiling was before he was drafted.

Not really. These are just two very different players. Sanchez was/is athletic for a pocket-passer. Smith is simply athletic as shit.

Smith has more concerns with footwork and arm angle, while Sanchez has less "feel."

Both were elite prospects, but Smith's athleticism makes him more dynamic on tape in many ways.

Sorter 09-20-2012 07:24 PM

Didn't mean athletic ceilings. Overall production. My bad for not clarifying.

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-21-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8931488)
Have to disagree. Different throwing motion, different footwork within the pocket, different release point. If by tendencies you mean being good college QBs, then yes. Overall skill-level, Geno is probably close to what people though Sanchez's ceiling was before he was drafted.

Pretty much this.

Saccopoo 09-21-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oRYMANo (Post 8928200)
Hope chiefs get geno and he does well, but I fear he is a product of the system.

Look at the video I posted from his sophomore year, which was the year before Holgorsen was hired.

Dude is legit. He's got the skill set to be a franchise QB.

He's going to put up insane numbers because of Holgorsen's offense this season, but it's not the system that makes this guy so desirable. It's that he possesses and displays the necessary traits that makes a great quarterback.

Geno Smith is really a good football player.

RealSNR 09-21-2012 09:02 PM

Geno rapes Maryland tomorrow on FX. I'll be watching.

-King- 09-21-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

I only watched 2 or 3 USC games in 08 and I'm betting that's more than you watched.

Geno Smith and Sanchez similar... ROFL

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-22-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 8934227)
I only watched 2 or 3 USC games in 08 and I'm betting that's more than you watched.

Geno Smith and Sanchez similar... ROFL

Their judgment, at the college level, looks about the same to me.

EXCEPT, Sanchez looked a wee bit smarter.

Reaper16 09-22-2012 11:14 AM

I think we've cursed Geno Smith you guys.

mr. tegu 09-22-2012 11:17 AM

Smith is pretty meh against some real competition. He is staring at receivers and making lots of overthrows and not making quick decisions. There are some really good throws in there as well though.

O.city 09-22-2012 12:23 PM

Looks very smooth in the pocket. Can really spin it. Good arm strength. Maryland is pressuring him a lot and he's sticking in there

bevischief 09-22-2012 12:41 PM

Like what I seen so far. Didn't see the first half. Better the Cornhole.

O.city 09-22-2012 12:48 PM

Guy has ridiculous pocket awareness

Chief_For_Life58 09-22-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8935062)

yeah he doesnt like going full fetal like our qb

ElGringo 09-22-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8935062)

This is what I have noticed, pocket awareness and footwork, 2 things the Chiefs haven't had for a while.

O.city 09-22-2012 12:54 PM

Keeps his eyes downfield at all times

the Talking Can 09-22-2012 12:54 PM

perfect strike down the middle of the field for a 35 yard td on 3rd and 15

he is so calm in the pocket it is awesome...always has his eyes up scanning the field

26/38
320 yards
8.4 avg
3tds
0int

O.city 09-22-2012 12:57 PM

I'm not so sure that he isn't a better qb mechanical wise at this point than rgIII was this time last year. He's not as explosive as an athlete or has the arm rgIII did, but its not far off

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-22-2012 12:58 PM

What channel?

BoneKrusher 09-22-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 8935078)
perfect strike down the middle of the field for a 35 yard td on 3rd and 15

he is so calm in the pocket it is awesome...always has his eyes up scanning the field

26/38
320 yards
8.4 avg
3tds
0int

i'm all 'eers when it comes to Gino.

bevischief 09-22-2012 12:59 PM

Better than Casselhole by quite a bit.

O.city 09-22-2012 12:59 PM

Fx

bevischief 09-22-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthCarlSatan (Post 8935087)
What channel?

Directv 248