ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Looking to relocate to KC (among other places) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268496)

pr_capone 01-04-2013 04:59 PM

Looking to relocate to KC (among other places)

The wife and I have grown weary of Wichita and want to get out of here. KC-MO, Raleigh-NC, and Denver/Colorado Springs-CO are our first options. Figured I would use the resources of CP to get some info on KC and possible work.

My work experience includes sales, customer service, computer support (both in person and via call center), helpdesk, and management (cell phone shop). I'm looking for work in that vein. I'm also looking for suggestions on what part of town to look at vs avoid.

If anyone has any leads or info to share... it would be greatly appreciated.

ChiTown 01-04-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 9281816)
The wife and I have grown weary of Wichita and want to get out of here. KC-MO, Raleigh-NC, and Denver/Colorado Springs-CO are our first options. Figured I would use the resources of CP to get some info on KC and possible work.

My work experience includes sales, customer service, computer support (both in person and via call center), helpdesk, and management (cell phone shop). I'm looking for work in that vein. I'm also looking for suggestions on what part of town to look at vs avoid.

Strange mix of cities.......

Gonzo 01-04-2013 05:02 PM

I've been to all those places and if I had the choice, I'd probably pick Colorado on aesthetics alone.
However, take a look at the job market, taxes etc.

I'm surprised you're not thinking about Omaha with your background.

Marcellus 01-04-2013 05:05 PM

You taking the dog ramp? On second though better sell it with the house, its sure to bring an extra $5000.

Brock 01-04-2013 05:08 PM

KC's a great city with much lower expenses than the other two. If scenery matters, well, ya know.

Chief_For_Life58 01-04-2013 05:10 PM

ive been to all those places only visited a friend in nc but if I had to choose , with no family or friend affiliation to any, id choose the springs. beautiful , tons of outdoor activities at ur doorstep, family/ middle age group oriented place. prolly better jobs to be had in the other listed cities tho. it all comes down to what youre looking for

pr_capone 01-04-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 9281823)
Strange mix of cities.......

I think so too but they each have their perks.

KC is near Wichita and wifey's parents are ancient so it would be nice to be somewhat nearby. Not having to drive 3.5 horus for Chiefs games is also a huge bonus.

Raleigh-Durham is 1 hour away from the ocean (which I miss greatly) and 1 hour from mountains. I sincerely miss geographical changes... Wichita is flat and boring.

CO would have us near a major city and beautiful scenery. Wifey enjoys skiing so not having to go forever away to do so is great as well.

----

I've not ruled out any other city but climate will have a lot to do with the decision.

Donger 01-04-2013 05:11 PM

I'm not really a fan of the Springs, but Denver is a pleasant place to live, as long as you can tolerate being in "Broncos Country." Dish Network might be worth a look at for a job in line with your experience.

KCUnited 01-04-2013 05:13 PM

In KC, if you don't have kids, KCMO is it, specifically Brookside/Plaza, Waldo, Hyde Park, Union Hill, Roanoke are some good options. Got kids and want stay in Missouri, Blue Springs, Lee's Summit, Parkville, Gladstone, NKC, and Liberty are good options (although I am admittedly less familiar with those areas as I don't have kids).

Chief_For_Life58 01-04-2013 05:16 PM

climate? its 65 and sunny today in san diego and im going skiing this sunday at snow valley. 200 dollar round trip flights to kc. thread. over.

teedubya 01-04-2013 05:17 PM

If you move to KC, move to a Google Fiberhood.

With your ability to rally the troops with SOC, I'd say you'd do great in a sales gig somewhere, selling the right products.

The Franchise 01-04-2013 05:17 PM

I've heard that Oakland, CA is a nice place to live. I won't go anywhere near it....but I've heard.

BlackHelicopters 01-04-2013 05:19 PM

Cost of living in KC would be hard to beat compared to the other two. The trade off is you live in a town with both the Royals and the Chiefs.

rageeumr 01-04-2013 05:24 PM

If I were single or if my wife and I weren't both so happy with our jobs, I would have uprooted and moved to Colorado by now. Beautiful scenery, and I love to ski, snowboard, run and bike.

Bob Dole 01-04-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9281906)
climate? its 65 and sunny today in san diego and im going skiing this sunday at snow valley. 200 dollar round trip flights to kc. thread. over.

Thread over? It's ****ing sunny and 72 in Olathe.

Chief_For_Life58 01-04-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 9281957)
Thread over? It's ****ing sunny and 72 in Olathe.

damn is it really? cray cray

Chief_For_Life58 01-04-2013 05:31 PM

weather.com says it feels like 32 in olathe right now. u fibber

Bugeater 01-04-2013 05:33 PM

Colorado Springs is probably the worst front range city you could move to.

Randallflagg 01-04-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9281976)

Not terribly familiar with Colorado Springs (recently relocated to the northern part of the front range). I have heard, however, that they have a bit of a "gang problem" there. True? No idea.

When you boil the piss out all these places, and having lived in Olathe until 2010, after 40 years in KC, I am absolutely biased here. Hands down, no better place to raise a family than Kansas City. Folks are fond of talking shit about KC, but I've been all over the United States a dozen times - Kansas City - hands down.

If family isn't a deciding factor, then any of those touristy places are fine. Great skiing in Colorado. The mountain view never changes. The beaches on either coast are fine. Damned water.

Marco Polo 01-04-2013 06:41 PM

Denver > Nashville > Kansas City > Raleigh

BigRedChief 01-04-2013 06:42 PM

Lee's summit is a classic suburbia city. Good schools. Get right on the highway and get anywhere. They have several call centers out there.

bevischief 01-04-2013 06:45 PM

We can use your skills up in Fargo.

Prison Bitch 01-04-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 9281833)
I've been to all those places and if I had the choice, I'd probably pick Colorado on aesthetics alone.

What are you talking about? You'd pick a city based on how "scenic" it was? If that's what you're saying, that's really dumb.

lazepoo 01-04-2013 06:55 PM

I never thought I'd move to Minneapolis, but four years later I love it here. Low unemployment, highly educated populace, and fairly affordable. If weather is a major consideration, the Twin Cities probably aren't an option for you, but if you know what to expect, it really isn't that bad. I just wear more clothing in the winter than before.

007 01-04-2013 06:56 PM

Go to Colorado dude.

Brock 01-04-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9282245)
What are you talking about? You'd pick a city based on how "scenic" it was? If that's what you're saying, that's really dumb.

Because only stupid people choose to live somewhere based on the surroundings. The more you talk, the dumber you sound.

Gracie Dean 01-04-2013 06:59 PM

aw whats wrong with the Dub?

Bugeater 01-04-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Leaving town and heading into the mountains instead of cornfields? Don't have any idea why that would be more appealing.

Bwana 01-04-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9282301)
Leaving town and heading into the mountains instead of cornfields? Don't have any idea why that would be more appealing.

Bingo

Thig Lyfe 01-04-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

The wife and I have grown weary of Wichita and want to get out of here.

You don't say.

007 01-04-2013 07:07 PM

I've been wanting to get out of Kansas forever and move to Colorado. Sadly, I am stuck here for the foreseeable future.

pr_capone 01-04-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 9282320)
You don't say.

I do say.

houstonwhodat 01-04-2013 07:13 PM

Denver is awesome and the people are nice.

houstonwhodat 01-04-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazepoo (Post 9282281)
I never thought I'd move to Minneapolis, but four years later I love it here. Low unemployment, highly educated populace, and fairly affordable. If weather is a major consideration, the Twin Cities probably aren't an option for you, but if you know what to expect, it really isn't that bad. I just wear more clothing in the winter than before.

Do yall have state income tax???

pr_capone 01-04-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 9281833)
However, take a look at the job market, taxes etc.

I'm surprised you're not thinking about Omaha with your background.

Why Omaha?

bevischief 01-04-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9282350)
Do yall have state income tax???

I would like to know this as well. I am looking at a job in MN. About an hour from Fargo not in the twin cites.

Thig Lyfe 01-04-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 9282361)
Why Omaha?

OMAHA! OMAHA!

Bugeater 01-04-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Why Omaha?

It's not Wichita? :shrug:

1ChiefsDan 01-04-2013 07:21 PM

I love the Denver area, but it is very expensive compared to KC. Not sure how it compares to NC.

I am currently pursuing a position in Omaha. Amazing how much cheaper it is than where I currently live.

BigRedChief 01-04-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9282325)
I've been wanting to get out of Kansas forever and move to Colorado. Sadly, I am stuck here for the foreseeable future.

The wife and I decided to raise our son in suburbia, good schools and family oriented neighborhoods. When he graduated High School we would leave for a beach and ocean somewhere. Worked out great. Got a good job offer two weeks after he graduated High School.

Plan ahead and be ready to pull the trigger when the family situation will allow you to move on.

hometeam 01-04-2013 07:23 PM

If you have done sales you can easily get a job at a car dealership almost anywhere. Its served me well for the past 10+ years.

BigRedChief 01-04-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Am The Walrus (Post 9282398)
I love the Denver area, but it is very expensive compared to KC. Not sure how it compares to NC.

I am currently pursuing a position in Omaha. Amazing how much cheaper it is than where I currently live.

**** Omaha. Better pay damn good.

JoeyChuckles 01-04-2013 07:24 PM

East St. Louis is very nice this time of year.

digger 01-04-2013 07:27 PM

In Kansas City, https://www.saintlukeshealthsystem.o...-health-system

Iowanian 01-04-2013 07:58 PM

Pioli fired....PioliR_Capone job hunting and moving.

Same day. Ironic coincidence, isn't it Scott.

ChiefsCountry 01-04-2013 08:01 PM

Which city has the best dog ramps?

Iowanian 01-04-2013 08:03 PM

Colorado Zoning officials would NEVER allow a Pioli_Capone dog ramp, and it would never uphold to stringent home owner association regulations because it isn't "natural color".

Strongside 01-04-2013 08:20 PM

I don't know what the job market is for your particular field(s), but I can say this: I absolutely LOVE Kansas City. I didn't grow up here, either. I have lived all over the place...small towns, major cities. I've lived in San Diego, LA, Phoenix, Fort Worth and now Kansas City and I don't think I'll ever leave. The cost of living is amazing, but there is a great sense of community here. I live downtown and work in advertising, but I have friends that live in the suburbs that love it just as much as I do. I love that there are so many cool things to see and do in this city that are basically hidden elements. Things that some people have never seen even though they've lived here their entire lives. The city is definitely on it's way up. I work closely with the KC Area Developmental Council and some of the things that are happening here right now aren't happening anywhere else in the country and it's recently been crowned 'America's Creative Crossroads'.

I'll always recommend KC to anyone who's looking...

This is an awesome 'sizzle' clip from KCADC that I think shows off the beauty of the city well.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/46900599" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/46900599">Sizzle Reel | KCCXR</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/kcadc">KCADC</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

arrowheadnation 01-04-2013 08:41 PM

So you're getting out... I hear Time Warner is hiring tech support reps ;) Good luck man.

1ChiefsDan 01-04-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9282416)
**** Omaha. Better pay damn good.

If the position I am working on comes through, great pay.

Also, 2 1/2 hours away from my family and the in laws. Would look at Chiefs season tix.

Also, the wife's company wants her to transfer to Omaha or get laid off.

Since I am currently unemployed and the wife is facing layoff - Omaha looks quite attractive.

Hog's Gone Fishin 01-04-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Am The Walrus (Post 9283026)
If the position I am working on comes through, great pay.

Also, 2 1/2 hours away from my family and the in laws. Would look at Chiefs season tix.

Also, the wife's company wants her to transfer to Omaha to get laid .

Since I am currently unemployed and the wife is facing layoff - Omaha looks quite attractive.

wut !

trndobrd 01-04-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9281906)

Never been to Olathe, have you?

lazepoo 01-04-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 9282374)
I would like to know this as well. I am looking at a job in MN. About an hour from Fargo not in the twin cites.

It does.

DaFace 01-04-2013 09:55 PM

Do you smoke marijuana? If so, your choice just got easier.

alanm 01-04-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9281976)

pr should definitely check out Ft. Collins though.

Ming the Merciless 01-04-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Hahaha...yah because no one picks beautiful spots to want to live

Thats why the prices dont go up when you get to the most beautiful spots right?

Oh wait...

Saulbadguy 01-05-2013 08:21 AM

Seattle.

Bugeater 01-05-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanm (Post 9283435)
pr should definitely check out Ft. Collins though.

Ft Collins is awesome. His dog ramp definitely wouldn't fit in to their building standards though.

Dallas Chief 01-05-2013 10:55 AM

DFW my man. Jobs galore and no state income tax. Affordable housing, tons to do. You can thank me later. :)

KurtCobain 01-05-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9283366)
Do you smoke marijuana? If so, your choice just got easier.

this is really the most logical thing I've heard in this entire thread.

However, I came in here to pimp independence, mo. just outside of Kansas City Great Schools wonderful location and a lot of open jobs. a lot safer than most places in Kansas City, great people. and I actually know of a cellphone repair shop in noland Rd that is always upgrading staff.

Goldmember 01-05-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9281918)
I've heard that Oakland, CA is a nice place to live. I won't go anywhere near it....but I've heard.

Actually, there are multi-million dollar homes in beautiful neighborhoods in Oakland. Just like KC, there are ghettos here and there.

rico 01-05-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Haha, I don't have any leads, but have some advice..... try to keep the paparazzi in check. Shoot, your probably the most popular dude in KC right now.

Bump 01-05-2013 12:04 PM

Colorado FTW (for the weed)

ClearmontChief 01-05-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Why Omaha?

I'm biased. I'm retired Air Force. I spent 11 years of active duty at Offutt, near Omaha. When I retired, I got a defense contractor job here. 11+ years and going strong. System Admin III, 75K + salary.

A couple years ago, we were named I think #6 in the nation of 'techy' cities. Papillion, an Omaha Suburb is year after year, top 5 in the Nation of 'best places' to live.

Paypal is here.
Google (server farm) is here.
ConAgra Foods is here.
Mutual of Omaha
Berkshire Hathaway
TD Ameritrade
Marriott Worldwide Reservation Center

many, many more.

Omaha Storm Chasers, Triple A for the Royals, here at Papillion.
Nebraska Cornhuskers, 45 minutes away.

I'm a Chiefs Season Ticket Holder, 3 hour drive. Love it. Mom & Dad in NW Missouri, 90 minutes away. Cabin in the hills on an Acreage.

....Livin' in Heaven.

Chief Roundup 01-05-2013 12:33 PM

Raliegh is an expensive place that is hard to get around in. People are rude. I have spent a lot of time out there and it is not where I would like to move at all.

Thig Lyfe 01-05-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 9284456)
Seattle.

****ing love Seattle, holy shit. Gorgeous scenery, yet still urban enough to feel like you're in a big city.

KurtCobain 01-05-2013 12:35 PM

Also, independence is cheap.

Infidel Goat 01-05-2013 01:20 PM

FWIW, the cost of living calculator I just looked at said it costs less in Raleigh than KC. Here it is, in case you want to look at it: http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

Sure, there are some expensive neighborhoods in Raleigh--but let's not pretend Mission Hills doesn't exist either.

I live in another part of North Carolina, but the state is very affordable overall with immediate access to both the ocean and the mountains. My summers are cooler than KC and my winters are warmer.