ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Fred Warner gets paid (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=339137)

Sassy Squatch 07-21-2021 12:06 PM

Fred Warner gets paid

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Fred Warner&#39;s five-year, $95M extension makes him for now the highest paid ILB in NFL history (surpassing Bobby Wagner at $18M/year).<br><br>He&#39;s never missed a game, played 95% of the team&#39;s snaps, excels in pass coverage and quarterbacks their defense.<br><br>An elite player in his prime.</p>&mdash; Field Yates (@FieldYates) <a href="https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1417888193870016513?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 21, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sofa King 07-21-2021 12:07 PM

Good for him. Good money.

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-21-2021 12:09 PM

Does he play for the Chiefs ?

Pitt Gorilla 07-21-2021 12:11 PM

Never understood what Veach was doing/thinking in that draft. He could have randomly selected better players.

Deberg_1990 07-21-2021 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 15749382)
Never understood what Veach was doing/thinking in that draft. He could have randomly selected better players.

No one picked around Speaks became a star. And now we have one of the best picks from that draft in Orlando Brown.

Hoover 07-21-2021 12:26 PM

Quote:

That draft did suck. Got to admit he's improved greatly.

I'm sure it had something to do with it being his first year, and frankly who knew what direction we were going on defense.

staylor26 07-21-2021 12:31 PM

Quote:

The you haven’t paid much attention to that draft class.

It was ****ing awful.

mkp785 07-21-2021 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15749418)
The you haven’t paid much attention to that draft class.

It was ****ing awful.

LMAOLMAO

Chubb (both of them), Leonard, Jaire Alexander, Qnelson, Josh Allen, Minkah Fitz, Saquon, Marc Andrews, Fred Warner, Calvin Ridely and Lamar ALL want to have a word with you. Not even bringing up Baker (I think the Browns are our biggest threat this year in the AFC)

Is this more of your notoriously hilarious homerism? Just because we had an off year that draft, doesn't mean that EVERY player in the draft sucked and there was nothing to be done.

Skyy God 07-21-2021 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkp785 (Post 15749572)
LMAOLMAO

Chubb (both of them), Leonard, Jaire Alexander, Qnelson, Josh Allen, Minkah Fitz, Saquon, Marc Andrews, Fred Warner, Calvin Ridely and Lamar ALL want to have a word with you. Not even bringing up Baker (I think the Browns are our biggest threat this year in the AFC)

Is this more of your notoriously hilarious homerism? Just because we had an off year that draft, doesn't mean that EVERY player in the draft sucked and there was nothing to be done.

That’s not a very deep list of talent….

Rain Man 07-21-2021 02:15 PM

That's a lot of money for a guy with only one career reception from Patrick Mahomes.

RunKC 07-21-2021 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 15749407)
That draft did suck. Got to admit he's improved greatly.

I'm sure it had something to do with it being his first year, and frankly who knew what direction we were going on defense.

No it didn’t.

Jessie Bates
Donte Jackson
Fred Warner
Dallas Goedert
Anthony Miller
Christian Kirk
DJ Chark

There were some very good and decent role players there. Veach just whiffed badly. Everyone does that.

RunKC 07-21-2021 02:34 PM

Even 2013 was shitty at the top but it had a lot of talented players available.

Travis Frederick
Travis Kelce
LeVeon Bell
Darius Slay
Brandon Williams
Larry Warford
Tyrann Matheiu
Keenan Allen
Jamie Collins
Terron Aemstead
Kawann Short
Zach Ertz
DeAndre Hopkins
David Bahktiari

Shit we’ve got like 4 guys from that class right now who are all starting or possibly starting LMAO

mkp785 07-21-2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 15749596)
That’s not a very deep list of talent….

:eek:

Like every dude I named has made an all pro team.....? Nelson is widely considered the best player at his position and Minkah isn't far behind in his position. Lamar has won a MVP and Saquon (when healthy) is considered at worst the 2nd best back in the league......

If you wanna say it's top heavy that's fine, but that's not what staylor said. He said the draft class sucked.

ThyKingdomCome15 07-21-2021 03:02 PM

I would have kept Buckner for that and a few million more. With that said the Niners have shelled out a ton of money to two players this offseason. They're an interesting team to watch and definately a dark horse in that conference after missing the Playoffs last year. I do think they've been mismanaged a bit.

Pablo 07-21-2021 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15 (Post 15749678)
I would have kept Buckner for that and a few million more. With that said the Niners have shelled out a ton of money to two players this offseason. They're an interesting team to watch and definately a dark horse in that conference after missing the Playoffs last year. I do think they've been mismanaged a bit.

I'm excited to watch Kaep 2.0 flame out for them.

ThyKingdomCome15 07-21-2021 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 15749693)
I'm excited to watch Kaep 2.0 flame out for them.

Lol, we may need to wait. According to the Smith-Mahomes formula many teams are trying to emulate. We won't see Trey Lance unless JG gets hurt.

staylor26 07-21-2021 03:17 PM

Quote:

LMAOLMAO

Most of those guys were long gone before the Chiefs picked.

I’m talking about rounds 2-7.

mkp785 07-21-2021 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15749701)
Most of those guys were long gone before the Chiefs picked.

I’m talking about rounds 2-7.

Be more specific then. If you had said "the draft was top heavy and many of the best dudes were gone. Making it hard for Veach to find some diamonds in the rough."

We'd have had no issues. The draft was fine. It was slim pickings as it went deeper though.

MTG#10 07-21-2021 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkp785 (Post 15749717)
Be more specific then. If you had said "the draft was top heavy and many of the best dudes were gone. Making it hard for Veach to find some diamonds in the rough."

We'd have had no issues. The draft was fine. It was slim pickings as it went deeper though.

Based on the context of his post as it relates to the post he quoted, his point made perfect sense. Maybe your reading comprehension skills need some work.

Skyy God 07-21-2021 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15 (Post 15749698)
Lol, we may need to wait. According to the Smith-Mahomes formula many teams are trying to emulate. We won't see Trey Lance unless JG gets hurt.

This is utter nonsense.

There is no Smith-Mahomes “formula”.

staylor26 07-21-2021 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15749763)
Based on the context of his post as it relates to the post he quoted, his point made perfect sense. Maybe your reading comprehension skills need some work.

Exactly.

mkp785 07-21-2021 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15749763)

Really? I missed the "2-7th rounds" portion of his post. All I saw was him saying that draft was awful, not "that class was awful after the 2 round (also not true as there a few guys that have produced, but that's not the point). Stick to getting freaked out and overreacting over every single slight change in the market in the financial thread and stay in your lane.

Please and thank you.

:D

staylor26 07-21-2021 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkp785 (Post 15749806)
Really? I missed the "2-7th rounds" portion of his post. All I saw was him saying that draft was awful, not "that class was awful after the 2 round (also not true as there a few guys that have produced, but that's not the point). Stick to getting freaked out and overreacting over every single slight change in the market in the financial thread and stay in your lane.

Please and thank you.

We were clearly talking about the Chiefs draft that year. Since they didn’t even have a 1st round pick, it’s pretty obvious what I was referring to.

And if a draft sucks outside of round 1, it pretty much sucks period. Of course there are going to at least be a few hits in the 1st.

mkp785 07-21-2021 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15749807)
We were clearly talking about the Chiefs draft that year. Since they didn’t even have a 1st round pick, it’s pretty obvious what I was referring to.

And if a draft sucks outside of round 1, it pretty much sucks period. Of course there are going to at least be a few hits in the 1st.

Nick Chubb, Leonard, Courtland Sutton, Dallas Goedert, Mike Gesecki, DJ Chark, Warner and Marc Andrews. Those are the names selected after the 1st round. I'm not including our own Zeus Brown in there along with other dudes.

I don't agree with you on ALOT of what you post. But in this case I'm not trying to start a fight. All I'm saying is the draft didn't suck. There were multiple good players to be had. We missed. It Veach's 1st year and it happens to everyone.

Don't trash the draft to make excuses. The draft fine. We missed. Still won a Super Bowl, no harm, no foul.

Skyy God 07-21-2021 05:25 PM

Quote:

Please and thank you.

Post less.

RunKC 07-21-2021 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkp785 (Post 15749811)
Nick Chubb, Leonard, Courtland Sutton, Dallas Goedert, Mike Gesecki, DJ Chark, Warner and Marc Andrews. Those are the names selected after the 1st round. I'm not including our own Zeus Brown in there along with other dudes.

I don't agree with you on ALOT of what you post. But in this case I'm not trying to start a fight. All I'm saying is the draft didn't suck. There were multiple good players to be had. We missed. It Veach's 1st year and it happens to everyone.

Don't trash the draft to make excuses. The draft fine. We missed. Still won a Super Bowl, no harm, no foul.

Pretty much this. Veach had a horrid draft pick and overall bad draft. Who cares? Every team has those too.

MTG#10 07-21-2021 05:36 PM

Quote:

Please and thank you.

You haven't been paying attention lately, I'm cool as a cucumber.

Mecca 07-21-2021 05:50 PM

I like Warner and I like Darius Leonard but is paying off ball Lbs really a smart thing to do?

mkp785 07-21-2021 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15749828)
I like Warner and I like Darius Leonard but is paying off ball Lbs really a smart thing to do?

I like Leonard, but he's gonna want w/e the record is for a inside LB I'd imagine. Not too keen on that if I'm Indy, but what choice will they have? They have to make that deal, Nelson will be setting the market for guards as well whenever he extends.

staylor26 07-21-2021 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkp785 (Post 15749811)

Half of the guys you just mentioned were selected in the early portion of the 2nd round and were also gone before the Chiefs picked.

You continue to miss the point about this draft in regards to the Chiefs and what was available to them.

Not to mention 3 of them are TE’s and one is a RB. The Chiefs weren’t drafting a TE or RB early in 2018 regardless. Not to mention guys like Goedert and Gesicki are talented, but haven’t quite put it together.

Pasta Little Brioni 07-21-2021 07:20 PM

Quote:

LMAOLMAO

Browns ROFL

staylor26 07-21-2021 07:24 PM

46. Kansas City Chiefs (trade up): DL Breeland Speaks, Ole Miss

47. Arizona Cardinals: WR Christian Kirk, Texas A&M

48. Los Angeles Chargers: LB Uchenna Nwosu, USC

49. Philadelphia Eagles (trade up): TE Dallas Goedert, South Dakota St.

50. Dallas Cowboys: OL Connor Williams, Texas

51. Chicago Bears (trade up): WR Anthony Miller, Memphis

52. Indianapolis Colts (trade down): DE Kemoko Turay, Rutgers

53. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: CB M.J. Stewart, UNC

54. Cincinnati Bengals: S Jessie Bates III, Wake Forest

55. Carolina Panthers: CB Donte Jackson, LSU

56. New England Patriots (trade up): CB Duke Dawson, Florida

57. Oakland Raiders (trade down): DL P.J. Hall, Sam Houston St.

58. Atlanta Falcons: CB Isaiah Oliver, Colorado

59. Washington (trade down): RB Gerrius Guice, LSU

60. Pittsburgh Steelers: WR James Washington, Oklahoma State

61. Jacksonville Jaguars: WR D.J. Chark, LSU

62. Minnesota Vikings: OL Brian O’Neill, Pitt

63. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (trade down): CB Carlton Davis, Auburn

64. Indianapolis Colts (trade up): DE Tyquan Lewis, Ohio State

65. Oakland Raiders (trade up): OL Brandon Parker, North Carolina A&T

66. New York Giants: EDGE Lorenzo Carter, Georgia

67. Cleveland Browns (trade down): DE Chad Thomas, Miami

68. Houston Texans: S Justin Reid, Stanford

69. New York Giants: DL B.J. Hill, N.C. State

70. San Francisco 49ers: LB Fred Warner, BYU

71. Denver Broncos: RB Royce Freeman, Oregon

72. New York Jets: DL Nathan Shepherd, Fort Hays State

73. Miami Dolphins: LB Jerome Baker, Ohio State

74. Washington (trade down): OL Geron Christian, Louisville

75. Kansas City Chiefs (trade up): DL Derrick Nnadi, FSU

Veach likes to talk about the draft in terms of pockets.

Well this wasn’t a very good pocket.

staylor26 07-21-2021 07:30 PM

Also, Nnadi is better than 75% of the guys on that list.

RealSNR 07-21-2021 10:57 PM

Screeching about how we could have had Fred Warner instead of Breeland Speaks is Deberg-level shit.

It's the same ****ing shit Chiefs fans do with DK Metcalf and how we should have taken him instead of Hardman. Just about every ****ing team passed on him multiple times. At that point, it's not so much the Seahawks outsmarting the NFL or the Chiefs outsmarting themselves. It's more that ONE team had to ****ing pick him, and the Seahawks ended up being the lucky ones.

Hell, why stop there? You should have picked the correct lottery numbers! Instead you got nothing! You clearly outsmarted yourself with that ticket selection, and now you'll have to pay for it!

Sassy Squatch 07-21-2021 10:59 PM

"Metcalf went a full round later than Hardman."

Wut? Hardman was #56, Metcalf was #64.

RealSNR 07-21-2021 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15750101)
"Metcalf went a full round later than Hardman."

Wut? Hardman was #56, Metcalf was #64.

Whatever. It's still ****ing stupid ass shit to pine for Metcalf. Beginning in the 2nd round, if you end up getting a stud player, it's basically more luck than anything.

Luck that the guy falls to you. Luck that your scouts did your homework. Luck that you put him in the right spot on the draft board. Luck that you ****ing coach him up the right way and get him success. Luck that he puts in the time to be great.

Don't get me wrong. I love shitting on the Speaks pick. It's one of my hobbies. But that's not hindsight-- that's me crowing about one of the few football opinions I have that was correct the entire time. I don't just look at who the good players were taken after that pick and go ThAtS wHaT i WoUlD HaVE dOnE!!!!!!!!~~~~

wazu 07-21-2021 11:26 PM

It's perfectly valid to bemoan missed draft picks. We've had plenty. Just keep them in perspective. Every organization misses, every year. We've also hit on some big ones. The balance of it all is what matters. Don't dwell on the negative but it's okay to point it out.

Dunerdr 07-22-2021 01:24 AM

every team passed on DK twice basically except a few who had traded out of those rounds... the point is he was where he was for a reason. Teams had doubts and he exceeded expectations. It's not like 32 teams passed on the prospect Calvin Johnson twice.

It is cool that the whole board has to explain to one poster that one comment clearly meant at and behind where speaks was picked for one simpleton though. #teamwork

mkp785 07-22-2021 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15749897)
Half of the guys you just mentioned were selected in the early portion of the 2nd round and were also gone before the Chiefs picked.

You continue to miss the point about this draft in regards to the Chiefs and what was available to them.

Not to mention 3 of them are TE’s and one is a RB. The Chiefs weren’t drafting a TE or RB early in 2018 regardless. Not to mention guys like Goedert and Gesicki are talented, but haven’t quite put it together.

We couldn't run 2 TE sets? I'm unaware of that rule. Mahomes couldn't make Goedert and Gesicki look good for a season or 2 and then we ship them off for more draft capital? That sucks.

Point is, the draft didn't suck. You're moving the goal posts from your strong original statement.

staylor26 07-22-2021 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkp785 (Post 15750145)
We couldn't run 2 TE sets? I'm unaware of that rule. Mahomes couldn't make Goedert and Gesicki look good for a season or 2 and then we ship them off for more draft capital? That sucks.

Point is, the draft didn't suck. You're moving the goal posts from your strong original statement.

No, you just haven’t understood my point from the beginning even after it has been explained to you.

Because you’re a ****ing moron.

IowaHawkeyeChief 07-22-2021 08:39 AM

Quote:

Please and thank you.

Nice job shitting on this thread with the context was clearly implied. Sorry, but most posters don't want to dumb things down for those who don't have any deductive reasoning skills...

IowaHawkeyeChief 07-22-2021 08:40 AM

Quote:

Please and thank you.

Nice job shitting on this thread when the context was clearly implied. Sorry, but most posters don't want to dumb things down for those who don't have any deductive reasoning skills...

mkp785 07-22-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15750248)
No, you just haven’t understood my point from the beginning even after it has been explained to you.

Because you’re a ****ing moron.

OK. So let's settle this:

Does the 2018 NFL draft suck?

Answer honestly you dip**** homer.

staylor26 07-22-2021 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkp785 (Post 15750446)
OK. So let's settle this:

Does the 2018 NFL draft suck?

Answer honestly you dip**** homer.

Outside of the first 40 picks or so?

Absolutely.

Does it suck overall? I’d say it does for that reason. Of course there’s going to be talent at the top. There almost always is. Just because it wasn’t 2013, meaning completely shit at the top, doesn’t mean it wasn’t a pretty bad draft class overall.

Also, how the **** does me being a homer have any relevance to this discussion? JFC you’re stupid.

htismaqe 07-22-2021 11:14 AM

Sucks for Warner that he's going to get Kelce'd.

He's going to be the highest paid LB just long enough to set the parameters for Darius Leonard to become the highest paid LB.

mkp785 07-22-2021 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15750453)
Outside of the first 40 picks or so?

Absolutely.

Does it suck overall? I’d say it does for that reason. Of course there’s going to be talent at the top. There almost always is. Just because it wasn’t 2013, meaning completely shit at the top, doesn’t mean it wasn’t a pretty bad draft class overall.

Also, how the **** does me being a homer have any relevance to this discussion? JFC you’re stupid.

1 MVP
10+ all pro guys (and counting)
2 more young QBs who most consider future all stars
Our own LT who most here-me included think can be the best lineman in the league as soon as this season.

Yup. Shitty draft.

Hopefully some of that violence I see happening in Florida makes it way to you soon. You're too dumb to breed.

staylor26 07-22-2021 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkp785 (Post 15750470)
1 MVP
10+ all pro guys (and counting)
2 more young QBs who most consider future all stars
Our own LT who most here-me included think can be the best lineman in the league as soon as this season.

Yup. Shitty draft.

Hopefully some of that violence I see happening in Florida makes it way to you soon. You're too dumb to breed.

Imagine being this butthurt about a football discussion

LMAO

The fact that Lamar Jackson is the “MVP” and crown jewel of this class speaks volumes.

Sassy Squatch 07-22-2021 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkp785 (Post 15750470)

https://media2.giphy.com/media/dZQR7...giphy.gif&ct=g

mkp785 07-22-2021 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15750491)

LMAO

The fact that Lamar Jackson is the “MVP” and crown jewel of this class speaks volumes.

I'm not butthurt and I didn't say I wanted you to to die. A simple knock to wake you up would suffice. I don't wish death on anyone- maybe Tom Brady.

staylor26 07-22-2021 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15750492)

The amazing thing is this is the guy that constantly thinks he has the moral high ground in DC related topics LMAO

staylor26 07-22-2021 12:02 PM

Just to give some perspective, here’s a list of guys selected outside of round 1 in 2017:

Budda Baker
Marcus Maye
Curtis Samuel
Dalvin Cook
Marcus Williams
Tyus Bowser
Joe Mixon
Justin Evans (great before injury)
Zach Cunningham
JuJu Smith-Schuster
Dion Dawkins
Taylor Moton
Alvin Kamara
Cooper Kupp
Chris Godwin
Kareem Hunt
Shaquill Griffin
Josh Johnson
Kenny Golladay
Jonnu Smith
Trey Hendrickson
Eddie Jackson
Carl Lawson
Josh Reynolds
Tarik Cohen
Deatrich Wise Jr.
Jamaal Williams
Grover Stewart
George Kittle
Desmond King
Jayon Brown
Anthony Walker Jr.
Matt Milano
Aaron Jones
Xavier Woods
Chris Carson

KCTitus 07-22-2021 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15750105)
Whatever. It's still ****ing stupid ass shit to pine for Metcalf. Beginning in the 2nd round, if you end up getting a stud player, it's basically more luck than anything.

Luck that the guy falls to you. Luck that your scouts did your homework. Luck that you put him in the right spot on the draft board. Luck that you ****ing coach him up the right way and get him success. Luck that he puts in the time to be great.

Don't get me wrong. I love shitting on the Speaks pick. It's one of my hobbies. But that's not hindsight-- that's me crowing about one of the few football opinions I have that was correct the entire time. I don't just look at who the good players were taken after that pick and go ThAtS wHaT i WoUlD HaVE dOnE!!!!!!!!~~~~

Oh how I long for the days of Chiefsplanet.com in the early 2000's when the Geniouses ran thick throughout the board stating this crap. 2+ years of non-stop arguing over Gannon vs. Grbac. LOL...

It was a target rich environment.

scho63 07-22-2021 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 15749377)
Does he play for the Chiefs ?

Only when he is 36 and he misses the last year due to 2 MCL injuries. We love brokedicks here on CP. :LOL:

Pitt Gorilla 07-22-2021 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15750100)
Screeching about how we could have had Fred Warner instead of Breeland Speaks is Deberg-level shit.

It's the same ****ing shit Chiefs fans do with DK Metcalf and how we should have taken him instead of Hardman. Just about every ****ing team passed on him multiple times. At that point, it's not so much the Seahawks outsmarting the NFL or the Chiefs outsmarting themselves. It's more that ONE team had to ****ing pick him, and the Seahawks ended up being the lucky ones.

Hell, why stop there? You should have picked the correct lottery numbers! Instead you got nothing! You clearly outsmarted yourself with that ticket selection, and now you'll have to pay for it!

The NFL Draft is, literally, a series of random draws in your mind?

RealSNR 07-22-2021 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 15751242)
The NFL Draft is, literally, a series of random draws in your mind?

Read the post and try again.

Sorter 07-22-2021 08:16 PM

Quote:

LMAOLMAO

I think the Browns regress this year and finish 3rd behind the Ravens and Steelers.

O.city 07-23-2021 08:21 AM

Sorter sighting

RunKC 07-23-2021 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15750491)

LMAO

Look at the QB classes in general over the years. Lamar is better than the majority of them.

He’s not Patrick but he was a very good draft pick

staylor26 07-23-2021 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 15751763)
Look at the QB classes in general over the years. Lamar is better than the majority of them.

He’s not Patrick but he was a very good draft pick

Yea, and it still doesn’t make it a good draft class overall. Just look at the list of guys I posted drafted AFTER the 1st round in 2017.

I didn’t even have to mention ****ing Mahomes and Watson, and there’s still a clear/significant difference in the two draft classes.

2018 absolutely sucked outside of the top 40 picks, whether you guys get that or not.

Does that mean Veach couldn’t have done better? Absolutely not. Of course he could have. We got absolutely nothing out of Speaks, and I was pounding the table for Bates at the time, so I obviously beleive we could’ve done better.

But like I also pointed out, from the Speaks pick to the Nnadi pick, there’s a whole lot of shit, and Nnadi was easily better than 75-80% of the guys that went in between those picks.

Point being, it could’ve been even worse considering how bad that draft was outside of those top 40 or so.

RunKC 07-23-2021 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15751784)
Yea, and it still doesn’t make it a good draft class overall. Just look at the list of guys I posted drafted AFTER the 1st round in 2017.

I didn’t even have to mention ****ing Mahomes and Watson, and there’s still a clear/significant difference in the two draft classes.

2018 absolutely sucked outside of the top 40 picks, whether you guys get that or not.

Does that mean Veach couldn’t have done better? Absolutely not. Of course he could have. We got absolutely nothing out of Speaks, and I was pounding the table for Bates at the time, so I obviously beleive we could’ve done better.

But like I also pointed out, from the Speaks pick to the Nnadi pick, there’s a whole lot of shit, and Nnadi was easily better than 75-80% of the guys that went in between those picks.

Point being, it could’ve been even worse considering how bad that draft was outside of those top 40 or so.

I would say 2018 is more common than the outlier. Looking back on many class the last 7 years you see the drop off from early 2nd rd on.

2019 appears to be an outlier simply bc of the insane WR class. Brown, Metcalf and Hardman really bolstered the strength of that 2nd rd. But bad drafts like 2013 had that too with Kelce and Bahktiari as 3rd rd picks.

Veach just had a bad draft. Shit happens and nobody is perfect. We’re still paying for the Speaks miss at DE but this is common for every single team.

That’s what makes winning in the NFL so hard

staylor26 07-23-2021 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 15751830)
I would say 2018 is more common than the outlier. Looking back on many class the last 7 years you see the drop off from early 2nd rd on.

2019 appears to be an outlier simply bc of the insane WR class. Brown, Metcalf and Hardman really bolstered the strength of that 2nd rd. But bad drafts like 2013 had that too with Kelce and Bahktiari as 3rd rd picks.

Veach just had a bad draft. Shit happens and nobody is perfect. We’re still paying for the Speaks miss at DE but this is common for every single team.

That’s what makes winning in the NFL so hard

2019 AND 2017 were MUCH better outside of the 1st round, and it’s not even really close.

That list I came up with is far longer and better than the list that you two provided for 2018.

It’s ok to say that Veach could’ve done better while also acknowledging that the talent pool wasn’t very good.

Pitt Gorilla 07-23-2021 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15751301)
Read the post and try again.

Being "lucky" enough to take the most physically gifted receiver in the draft is akin to picking "the correct lottery numbers"?