ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Remembering My Friend (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=321879)

gblowfish 03-17-2019 09:49 AM

Remembering My Friend

1 Attachment(s)
Three years ago one of my very best friends in the world checked himself out.

We first met in junior high, he was a year ahead of me in school. He taught me how to drink beer, smoke weed, play poker and lie to girls to get them to put out. We played football and baseball together. We played golf together. We were on the debate team together. We were in high school plays together. Every year we'd cuss and discuss the Chiefs, Royals and Tigers. We wrote letters to the KC Star "fan opinion" page before talk radio existed. He was the greatest sports heckler ever. I saw him make Lamar Hunt run away, Reggie Jackson pick up pocket change and Don Fortune blush. We'd play hooky on Fridays around St. Pat's Day and spend the day at the NAIA Basketball Tournament, and laugh at the shitty cheap ass mascots and fat cheerleaders. We had a blast. He was a brother to me in every sense.

Yesterday was the three year anniversary of his death.

I love and miss him terribly. He's in the center of this picture tailgating before a cold Chiefs game sometime around 2000. Mrs. B to the left, my pal Gary to the right.

Drink a toast to my pal Derrek. He was one of a kind. Nobody else like him, and gone way too soon.

stumppy 03-17-2019 10:02 AM

Sorry for your loss. You're a lucky man to have had a friend like that. That kind of friendship is hard to come by.
I too have a friend from all the way back to jr. high. Been close friends for about 44 years now and would be crushed if something happened to him. That subject has come up from time to time and, put it this way, he's the ONLY person I would trust to take care of my dog if something happens.:D

New World Order 03-17-2019 10:26 AM

Sorry to hear George.

I had a good friend from high school kill himself. He had everything going for him too: had a great girlfriend, graduated with honors from business school and had great friends. Would be great to go to a game and have a beer with him.

Thanks for sharing his and your stories.

Randallflagg 03-17-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 14164232)
Three years ago one of my very best friends in the world checked himself out.

We first met in junior high, he was a year ahead of me in school. He taught me how to drink beer, smoke weed, play poker and lie to girls to get them to put out. We played football and baseball together. We played golf together. We were on the debate team together. We were in high school plays together. Every year we'd cuss and discuss the Chiefs, Royals and Tigers. We wrote letters to the KC Star "fan opinion" page before talk radio existed. He was the greatest sports heckler ever. I saw him make Lamar Hunt run away, Reggie Jackson pick up pocket change and Don Fortune blush. We'd play hooky on Fridays around St. Pat's Day and spend the day at the NAIA Basketball Tournament, and laugh at the shitty cheap ass mascots and fat cheerleaders. We had a blast. He was a brother to me in every sense.

Yesterday was the three year anniversary of his death.

I love and miss him terribly. He's in the center of this picture tailgating before a cold Chiefs game sometime around 2000. Mrs. B to the left, my pal Gary to the right.

Drink a toast to my pal Derrek. He was one of a kind. Nobody else like him, and gone way too soon.

Sorry for your loss....unfortunately at my age (nearly 73 now) I have lost far too many friends. Good friends that I grew up with. Learned too many bad things with (ROFL). Drank too much beer with, partied with, went to Vietnam with and, generally, owe much of my youth too. My Brother, My Sister....outlived them both.

The older I get - the faster the bad news comes......

Here's to Derrek!! slàinte!!!

IowaHawkeyeChief 03-17-2019 10:48 AM

Thanks for the post... It's good to remember the great times with those we've lost.

RINGLEADER 03-17-2019 10:51 AM

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Life can be hard but respect for you keeping his memory alive.

gblowfish 03-17-2019 11:54 AM

I'll tell you the Lamar Hunt story: Derrek, Gary and I were sitting in my seats, and at halftime out in the center of the field, Lamar was giving away one of those huge chairity checks that they make for PR pictures. The stadium announcer said: "Now Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt has a special presentation to make." So they do the check thing, take some pictures and come off the field. The fastest way back upstairs to the press box is on the stairs right below my seats. So Lamar comes over to the stairs, Derrek stands up and leans over the rail, he's about four feet away from Hunt, and says "Hey Lamar, I got a special presentation for YOU pal... BEND OVER!" Lamar's eyes got as big as hubcaps, and he RAN down the stairs and outta sight. We all just looked at Derrek and said...wow...you scared a Billionaire...

MikeShanaHandJob 03-17-2019 11:58 AM

RIP...

Life is like a Fan sometimes. It Blows on one side and Sucks on the other.

TwistedChief 03-17-2019 12:00 PM

Sending good vibes your way today, George.

seclark 03-17-2019 02:01 PM

In. Good afternoon, George.
Sec