ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Mark Cuban: "The NFL is 10 years away from an implosion." (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282526)

SeeingRed 03-24-2014 08:07 AM

because it takes away from his ratings...jeolous wanna be NFL owner

Rausch 03-24-2014 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeeingRed (Post 10512862)
because it takes away from his ratings...jeolous wanna be NFL owner

This...

blaise 03-24-2014 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 10512856)
Yep. He applied for ownership of the Houston franchise but was denied. He had all the credentials.

I didn't realize he had that kind of money. But I just looked and it said he was worth more than Bob McNair. For some reason I'd always thought he was a level down from those guys.

BigMeatballDave 03-24-2014 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steron (Post 10512825)
I agree with him.

I HATE the Thursday games. I HATE the MNF double-header(s). Stick to Sunday, late season Saturday games, and MNF. Kill NFLN. They're diluting the product chasing $$$$$.

:spock:

BigMeatballDave 03-24-2014 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 10512851)
The premise behind what he is saying is absolutely correct. The only time TV shows are on every night is when their popularity has dwindled. Absolutely there would be some that would love to have football on most evenings. But the majority of people need a break or they become complacent about whatever it is. We can definitely get too much of anything, if it is a good thing we will over indulge quickly, which generally leads to a quicker end to the enjoyment.
The NFL should stop with the occasional Thursday night game for the regular season. I don't even like that because those games are generally on the NFLN only.
I also agree with others that have stated we need to stay out of Europe. Way, way too many logistical obstacles that can and will arise no matter how smooth everything looks on paper.

You're talking about a 4-month window.

Buehler445 03-24-2014 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10512832)
Aaaaaaaaaand there's the butthurt behind the comments...

That's what I was thinking.

Either that or the assbag wants his name in the news again, and here we are talking about it.

Isn't he doing some Donald Trump wannabe show where he talks about business? He's probably just trying to get some free pub for it.

TEX 03-24-2014 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 10512868)
I didn't realize he had that kind of money. But I just looked and it said he was worth more than Bob McNair. For some reason I'd always thought he was a level down from those guys.

Nope. In fact, he produced the most net worth and cash liquid application for the Houston franchise. He thought about filing a law suit against the NFL when it was rejected, but he knew he would lose so he decided to call it a day and walk away.

Bugeater 03-24-2014 08:45 AM

If the goal is to get more games on TV, I don't know why they can't just give both FOX and CBS doubleheaders each Sunday. I'm more likely to stay tuned in if I have more choices.

Oh and **** you guys who don't like the opening week MNF doubleheader. 6 hrs of football on a Monday night? Yes please.

blaise 03-24-2014 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 10512917)
If the goal is to get more games on TV, I don't know why they can't just give both FOX and CBS doubleheaders each Sunday. I'm more likely to stay tuned in if I have more choices.

Oh and **** you guys who don't like the opening week MNF doubleheader. 6 hrs of football on a Monday night? Yes please.

I've always hated that - that both networks don't have doubleheaders on Sunday.

GoChargers 03-24-2014 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10512857)
The reason that doesn't happen with the NFL is because the season is so short with so few games.

The NBA and MLB saturate with an insane schedule and so the games don't really matter early in the year. No one cares.

Even NASCAR seems like it never ends. It's every week.

People aren't asking for less NFL. Compare sunday ticket subscribers to ten years ago. Compare fantasy football money.

It's all trending up...

Say what you will, but at least the NBA, MLB, and NASCAR oversaturate with actual games/races - in other words, meaningful content. The NFL is oversaturated 24/7/365 and the vast majority of it is just media hype, usually about the same three teams every year. Do we really need wall-to-wall coverage of the combine? Plus they moved the draft to May now so the media can spend more time obsessing over that. No other sport has the year-round media cycle that the NFL does and it's really turning it into that much more of a chore while taking away from the other sports.

I'd also argue that the early games in those other sports count far more than you're giving credit for. I bet the Knicks and Nets would like to have all those early-season losses back now, for instance.

Bearcat 03-24-2014 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChargers (Post 10512734)
8-8 league? Really? The NFL is far more polarized than that, with the Seahawks, Whiners, Donks, etc. on one end and absolutely hopeless franchises like the Faid and the Browns on the other.

I do agree with Cuban that the NFL is headed for a downturn with the way things are going. They're messing with a good product by watering the game down with senseless rule changes, blatant favoritism shown to certain players and teams, and the general year-round overexposure of the league nowadays.

There are 4 or 5 teams every year that rise to the top, 3 or 4 teams that are absolute shit show, and the middle ~25 teams is a mess of mediocre football... and whether they end up with ~10 wins or 6 wins, there's just not much of a difference. Hell, the difference between those other 25 teams and the Broncos is Peyton Manning, and even the Tebow Broncos won a playoff game.

It's all part of the greed of the NFL... parity on steroids to hold everyone's interest, even if it makes for a watered down product.

greatgooglymoogly 03-24-2014 08:56 AM

Well, baseball used to pull the highest ratings of any American sport. I don't see an "implosion", but it isn't unreasonable to think that some other sport could surpass football's ratings and popularity (although a 10-year time frame seems too brief).

blaise 03-24-2014 09:00 AM

Fantasy Football and gambling will keep football popular even if the product slips.

Buehler445 03-24-2014 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatgooglymoogly (Post 10512932)
Well, baseball used to pull the highest ratings of any American sport. I don't see an "implosion", but it isn't unreasonable to think that some other sport could surpass football's ratings and popularity (although a 10-year time frame seems too brief).

I'm not an old bastard like all you other ****ers so I don't know (:D), but didn't the strike pretty much kill baseballs popularity?

Fansy the Famous Bard 03-24-2014 09:11 AM

MLB making a comeback? :P