ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Mark Cuban: "The NFL is 10 years away from an implosion." (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282526)

GloryDayz 03-24-2014 10:10 AM

I hope he's right! I suspect as they decline they'll right the ship before it goes down.

J Diddy 03-24-2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 10513075)
I hope he's right! I suspect as they decline they'll right the ship before it goes down.

yup

Worked for the Titanic.

Chief Roundup 03-24-2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10513024)
REGULAR SEASON.

September thru December.

Yeah because that is the only time that there is football games on TV.

cosmo20002 03-24-2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 10512686)

On the one hand, Cuban's a smart guy.

On the other hand, he's kind of a blowhard and he owns a team in a league where games are on several nights a week and is essentially a competitor to the NFL in October through January.

Phobia 03-24-2014 10:26 AM

I agree with him. Oversaturation and fantasy football are ruining it for me. I've gone from a season ticket subscriber watching every single game to a casual observer of the Chiefs games and sometimes watching the other games if I'm bored. I also record MNF and watch it in about an hour instead of committing my entire Monday evening to it. I usually don't like recorded sports but I liked adding 2 hours to the end of my day better than I liked watching commercials and dufuses analyzing every play for 3 hours.

htismaqe 03-24-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 10513101)
I agree with him. Oversaturation and fantasy football are ruining it for me. I've gone from a season ticket subscriber watching every single game to a casual observer of the Chiefs games and sometimes watching the other games if I'm bored. I also record MNF and watch it in about an hour instead of committing my entire Monday evening to it. I usually don't like recorded sports but I liked adding 2 hours to the end of my day better than I liked watching commercials and dufuses analyzing every play for 3 hours.

This is where I'm at too.

J Diddy 03-24-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 10513101)

I would agree with you about fantasy football. That concept went from a fun little aspect of the game to taking it over and putting way too much focus on individuals.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-24-2014 10:30 AM

What hurt baseball's popularity wasn't the strike, but the ADD nature of society. Football is an excellent sport for this society, because you only have to pay attention for six seconds at a time, and you always get some kind of outcome. The increase in scoring via the neutering of defenses is just another way to add flashing lights to keep the masses interested.

InChiefsHeaven 03-24-2014 10:30 AM

I basically make it a point to watch the Chiefs. Other games, maybe, but I never stay up late to finish the Monday Night Game, and the Thursday NFL Network games, I don't even bother with them. And I have NFL network!

I dunno if it's the NFL or just me, but I don't care nearly as much as I used to.

DTLB58 03-24-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmya (Post 10512703)
I like it. I can watch football almost every day of the week.

Yep. The NFL is going to keep giving it to us until it shows signs of not working anymore and can you blame them? They just keep making more and more $.
So what if, at some point its to much, then they scale it back a little and boom!

I've heard it said that NFL players lost out because they didn't get to market themselves because of all the gear they wore, well compared to the NBA I think that has helped the NFL. Look what happened when Sherman was able to take off his helmet and show is face and be himself? That's kinda what the public sees all the time from the NBA players and right now except for an elusive few the NBA isn't doing so well.
If I were Cuban I would stick to trying to figure out how to fix his league.
Well, he probably does have ideas, but the rest of the owners and commish aren't going to let him do any of them cause he is such a smart ass. Like the D league idea, which I think is good.

The only time right now I see it where the NBA is #1 in sports is maybe May because of the Playoffs and the first part of June for the Finals.

DTLB58 03-24-2014 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10512828)
They won't let him. Good ole boys club.

That let in Shahid "Shad" Khan?
We aren't talking about the 60's anymore with the NFL and AFL.

DTLB58 03-24-2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 10512851)
The premise behind what he is saying is absolutely correct. The only time TV shows are on every night is when their popularity has dwindled. Absolutely there would be some that would love to have football on most evenings. But the majority of people need a break or they become complacent about whatever it is. We can definitely get too much of anything, if it is a good thing we will over indulge quickly, which generally leads to a quicker end to the enjoyment.
The NFL should stop with the occasional Thursday night game for the regular season. I don't even like that because those games are generally on the NFLN only.
I also agree with others that have stated we need to stay out of Europe. Way, way too many logistical obstacles that can and will arise no matter how smooth everything looks on paper.

I agree, NO EUROPE!!!!!

Eleazar 03-24-2014 10:37 AM

I tend to agree with him. I don't want the NFL to be in every night of the week. The Thursday games are usually garbage anyway.

Eleazar 03-24-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTLB58 (Post 10513118)
That let in Shahid "Shad" Khan?

We aren't talking about the 60's anymore with the NFL and AFL.

Khan is an American, same as you.

BigMeatballDave 03-24-2014 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 10513088)
Yeah because that is the only time that there is football games on TV.

Nevermind. You missed my point.