ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Jon Gruden made an oopsie [and has resigned] (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=340166)

jd1020 10-12-2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 15890600)
The whole thing just reeks of dirty, underhanded DC style politics, and I just hate seeing the NFL dragged into that sort of muck

Look where it all leads, now Tirico is being dragged for not being black enough because he vouched for Gruden, and it surely isn't going to end there... Tim Brown will get the same treatment, and on and on it goes...

Yep. The outrage over shit like this is dependent solely on who it comes from and who it was directed at.

I get why Gruden was fired because even if I believe that its stupid to be all up in arms about what he said, its equally stupid to say shit like that in writing. If you get found out, no employer is going to want that kind of grief in their organization.

But if you changed the recipient of the clear "racism" to an Asian with a little dick or a something like that, no one probably bats an eye.

Easy 6 10-12-2021 01:29 PM

Does one remark about Smith nix decades of friendships and relationships with black players and coaches?

Not in my opinion

If he's such a huge homophobe, why did he say Carl Nassib was (para) "an outstanding young man, and we're proud to call him a Raider" when Nassib came out?

IMO this has much more to do with what he said about Lord Roger, this is revenge for that

Like I said, it all stinks like DC politics... and it sucks

DJ's left nut 10-12-2021 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 15890424)
****ing everyone speaks differently behind closed doors.

All these "angels" that act like they've never said anything that would be considered "racially motivated" when nobody was listening or as a joke to friends are full of shit.

Again - I think it's fair to note the difference in what you say and what you write.

Very few people speak how they write. Writing is just a more thought out process. You process as you go and have an opportunity to soften/amend before you submit.

I've said plenty of rough shit in the company of friends - yeah, it happens. But man - I've just never emailed it. At worst I've done it behind the anonymity of a screen name and maybe 3-4 people on this board who have any knowledge of who I am. This is where I'd empty all chambers if I were ever inclined to do so and I've never come that over the top.

And even here, apart from the day I got pissed off at some petty shit the mods were doing with Pestilence and tried to get myself banned, I've never written anything approaching what Gruden said. And it sure as hell sounds like Gruden said it in anger/frustration. Despite being behind a keyboard with plenty of time to cool off and process - so it wasn't off the handle or emotion. At that point its a sincerely held belief.

Writing is a different medium. And yeah, I think it's a different standard.

And frankly, again, not many of us are tasked with being the public face of a billion dollar public entity. He absolutely has to know better, even behind closed doors. To hell with the bad luck of getting caught, what if he has to cut/fire someone who's heard him speak like that? And they go to the next team and start airing out dirty laundry.

He just can't do that. It was stupid. Do I think it makes him a mouth-breathing cretin? Nah - I already thought he was a mouth-breathing cretin. This doesn't do much to alter my image of Jon Gruden. But it will have impacted his ability to lead the team and represent the franchise in public settings. So ultimately it should've cost him his job.

lcarus 10-12-2021 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 15890600)
The whole thing just reeks of dirty, underhanded DC style politics, and I just hate seeing the NFL dragged into that sort of muck

Look where it all leads, now Tirico is being dragged for not being black enough because he vouched for Gruden, and it surely isn't going to end there... Tim Brown will get the same treatment, and on and on it goes...

Yeah now one of the top articles on ESPN is calling for the firing of "Gruden's enablers". What a crock. The article said "We don't know how some of these people replied to Gruden's racist and homophobic comments. Did they respond with an 'lol'?" God forbid someone you interact with says something that might be construed as racist, homophobic, or whatever. You can't even placate them with a simple LOL (which could mean anything or nothing at all) or else you'll be on the chopping block too. These PC people are ****ing insane.

KChiefs1 10-12-2021 01:41 PM

https://youtu.be/Ij-1uBQz-CU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThaVirus 10-12-2021 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 15890499)
so this has surfaced now

mike tirico thinks he's italian

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tirico said that himself, folks aren’t making this up. <a href="https://t.co/tQJueAxruN">https://t.co/tQJueAxruN</a></p>&mdash; Justo Jay (@JTJ24) <a href="https://twitter.com/JTJ24/status/1447796160870051847?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 12, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That is pretty interesting. Looking at pics of him when he was younger, with hair, I'd assume he was mixed or just a light-skinned black dude. Could probably pass as a lot of Caribbean ethnicities also (which are really just a blend of white, black and Native anyway).

Genes are pretty weird, though.

jd1020 10-12-2021 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15890662)

The agenda is pretty clear.

John Gruden attacked more than a black man in the emails we know of. He also "attacked" the gay community, however I believe his anger was directed more towards the idea that the league was forcing the Rams to draft Michael Sam simply because he was gay and not because of his football talent. He even attacked the commissioner who is white. Every single one of Grudens rants had the same tone.

But yet the only thing anyone is talking about are his comments directed at Dumboriss Smith.

DJ's left nut 10-12-2021 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 15890696)
The agenda is pretty clear.

John Gruden attacked more than a black man in the emails we know of. He also "attacked" the gay community, however I believe his anger was directed more towards the idea that the league was forcing the Rams to draft Michael Sam simply because he was gay and not because of his football talent. He even attacked the commissioner who is white. Every single one of Grudens rants had the same tone.

But yet the only thing anyone is talking about are his comments directed at Dumboriss Smith.

Carl Nassib was trending last night on Twitter. And it damn sure had nothing to do with anything he's ever done on a football field.

I wouldn't say Smith's the only one getting his pound of flesh right now.

Spott 10-12-2021 01:59 PM

He should take a victory lap around Allegiant stadium after milking them for over 30 million dollars without ever getting anywhere near a playoff appearance.

jd1020 10-12-2021 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 15890707)
Carl Nassib was trending last night on Twitter. And it damn sure had nothing to do with anything he's ever done on a football field.

I wouldn't say Smith's the only one getting his pound of flesh right now.

I dont have a twitter or follow anything about it besides what is posted on forums like this in regards to whatever is being talked about.

But why is no one talking about it on these shows? I mean I see it on the bottom line that he used "homophobic and misogynistic" language and they may touch on it for a nano second by mentioning the LGBTQ community, but they quickly switch it back to giving a 10 minute segment about what he said about a black man and how there's no black men representing the league.

ptlyon 10-12-2021 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 15890717)
I dont have a twitter or follow anything about it besides what is posted on forums like this in regards to whatever is being talked about.

But why is no one talking about it on these shows? I mean I see it on the bottom line that he used "homophobic and misogynistic" language and they may touch on it for a nano second by mentioning the LGBTQ community, but they quickly switch it back to giving a 10 minute segment about what he said about a black man and how there's no black men representing the league.

You've answered your own question

LongSufferingToady 10-12-2021 02:07 PM

Don't put anything in an email that might come back to bite you. Never do that.
Email isn't safe and the Internet keeps everything forever.

jd1020 10-12-2021 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 15890724)
You've answered your own question

Because they have it on the screen in fine print so there's no need to talk about it? I dunno.

Perineum Ripper 10-12-2021 02:30 PM

****, I hope none of the emails I sent while in the military come out. I guess I can sleep good knowing tons of other people will go down with me, from high ranking officers on down.

People your tax money goes to military members in JSOC sending horrible emails to one another about all kinds of people

Hammock Parties 10-12-2021 02:31 PM

LMAO Chris Simms

Quote:

"...it's crazy, it really is. The first thing that I just wanna say is I just can't believe how stupid he is. I really can't, I'm just shocked. Let alone, of course, some of the evil thoughts of it. For a guy that I was around for such a long time in my career ... say what you want about Jon Gruden, like him or not, the one thing I will say and always will say is he's intelligent. 100%. And to think that he was sending those e-mails to a guy who had a very high position within the Washington Football Team and is using an NFL e-mail account, that's where I'm just amazed."

"...there's a little bit of ego, narcissism and selfishness that put him in this position, certainly. That I think is pretty apparent. Let alone, it's a guy who, yes, the emotions get the best of him at times, [I know from] being around him. Emotions can get the best of him to where he can say things that I don't necessarily know if he wanted to say them out loud, but he did because he would be frustrated at football ... or at a coach or player ... or something that was going on in the world. And that would come out in the meeting and you're like 'Woah, OK, he was bottled up there. He needed to get that out.' That is part of the human being that we're dealing with.

"I can sit here and tell you that I didn't see anything racist from Jon Gruden in my six years playing underneath him. I never saw that. ... That doesn't mean anything. It doesn't mean that he wasn't saying things like that privately or in e-mails, or had his own private thoughts with his close friends. I don't know that. I can't say that I witnessed that, though, in any way, shape or form.

"What I can say -- and what I do think with Jon Gruden specifically here -- is that he doesn't win himself the benefit of the doubt. He definitely doesn't do that. He's burned more bridges than probably every head coach in football, there's no joke. Hey, there was a reason that he kissed the butt of every coach in the NFL when he was doing Monday Night Football with Mike Tirico. He'd be on there and with some guys he'd be like 'Oh, this guy's a great coach ... I love him ... he's a great coach' and I'd be like 'Man, I've heard him talk about that coach like 20 times -- he thinks he sucks and he's stupid.' But he realized that if he wanted to get back into the NFL, he had to start mending some of these bridges.

"He's a pain in the butt that way, he is. And I think the fact and the way that he's treated people for so long certainly didn't give him the benefit of the doubt or do any favors for him in the league office, the NFLPA, whatever. He's brutal that way. I think karma finally came back to get him in this department."