ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Is this a legal block? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263791)

Joe Seahawk 09-16-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 8919219)
You're a dumb ass homer.

;)

Molitoth 09-16-2012 10:01 PM

Probably legal, but somewhat cheap. He didn't really have to knock the shit out of the guy to get a good clean block in there.

Granted, I loved doing WR crack blocks to Linebackers when I was playing. It made me feel tough for a few minutes.

KChiefer 09-16-2012 10:01 PM

It wasn't flagged.

Reminds me when Sapp blew that guy up basically ending his career.

Demonpenz 09-16-2012 10:02 PM

eventually there is going to be penalties called if a guy is blocked and isn't a threat to make a tackle.

BryanBusby 09-16-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 8919243)
It wasn't flagged.

The scab refs had to spot the ball 3 times at one point until they finally got it right in the Jets-Steelers game. They are incredibly awful.

Joe Seahawk 09-16-2012 10:08 PM

NFL description of a "defenseless" player

Quote:

(a) Players in a defenseless posture are: [. . .]
(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;
[. . .]
(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
(1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him; and
(2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body.”
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ifE6XkqMX9g?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KChiefer 09-16-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 8919254)
The scab refs had to spot the ball 3 times at one point until they finally got it right in the Jets-Steelers game. They are incredibly awful.

You don't have to tell me. I'm anti-RR.

This play, I didn't know what to think. Is it cheap and therefore should be flagged? Yes, IMO.

However, I didn't know if the hit can be defined as illegal.

The Sapp play was years ago so hit were way less scrutinized. Unlike this play though, Sapp wasn't anywhere near the football and took a cheap-shot for zero reason. He then defended it by repeatedly saying, "It was legal." Sapp is a POS IMO. I'm sure there's plenty more plays that more closely resemble today's hit, but when I think of a totally unnecessary hit with a terrible result, I think of Sapp's bitch-ass.

aturnis 09-16-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Seahawk (Post 8919215)
What is your problem noob

I think his problem is that he is absolutely right and you just don't want to hear it...

Joe Seahawk 09-16-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 8919284)
You don't have to tell me. I'm anti-RR.

This play, I didn't know what to think. Is it cheap and therefore should be flagged? Yes, IMO.

However, I didn't know if the hit can be defined as illegal.

The Sapp play was years ago so hit were way less scrutinized. Unlike this play though, Sapp wasn't anywhere near the football and took a cheap-shot for zero reason. He then defended it by repeatedly saying, "It was legal." Sapp is a POS IMO. I'm sure there's plenty more plays that more closely resemble today's hit, but when I think of a totally unnecessary hit with a terrible result, I think of Sapp's bitch-ass.

So, you think this block should be a 15 yard penalty and negate a key first down? Good block, sorry Lee he didn't see it coming, at least he didn't get hurt..

WV 09-16-2012 10:19 PM

Take your small problems and leave...

mnchiefsguy 09-16-2012 10:20 PM

He led with his helmet....I would say probably a "legal" hit in terms of no flag...but the player can expect to write a nice check to NFL Charities.

Dave Lane 09-16-2012 10:21 PM

Having been on the receiving end of that play so gonna go with no. Actually other than maybe lowering the head it seems fine.

Joe Seahawk 09-16-2012 10:21 PM

Grumpy bastards today..

G'night

Hammock Parties 09-16-2012 10:22 PM

He ****ing obliterated a Dallas Cowboy.

Legal.

Dallas Chief 09-16-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 8919243)
It wasn't flagged.

It was a shitty shot by Sapp on Chad Clifton. Didn't end his career though. He went on to win a ring with the Packers in 2011. Always hated Sapp after that, not that I needed any help in that regard.