ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Drafting a nose = bad idea this year. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255965)

Direckshun 02-19-2012 10:50 PM

I keep forgetting UP is a Memphis homer.

Ultra Peanut 02-19-2012 10:54 PM

No diggity. BIG EAST SPEED Y'ALL

(If you like blowing 14+ point leads against terrible teams like Middle Tennessee State, Marshall, and UAB, Memphis' 2011 season was a dream come true. Worst secondary/o-line ever.)

whoman69 02-27-2012 07:19 PM

"Defensive Tackle is the strongest position in the draft," said Charley Casserly of NFL Network, an opinion shared by another former NFL GM Michael Lombardi.

htismaqe 02-28-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8403313)
"Defensive Tackle is the strongest position in the draft," said Charley Casserly of NFL Network, an opinion shared by another former NFL GM Michael Lombardi.

There's a ton of inside talent going to be available and I heard Mayock say he though there could be as many as SIX tackles taken in the 1st round.

That being said, very few of them project to 3-4 NT.

saphojunkie 02-28-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8365096)
IMO Poe isn't suited to be a NT in a 34. He's not an anchor in the middle.

Okay, but in, like, EVERY professional scout's eyes, he is. So...

Chiefnj2 02-28-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 8405042)
Okay, but in, like, EVERY professional scout's eyes, he is. So...

Except almost every scouting report says something to the effect of:

Negatives -- Pass rush ability is subpar despite impressive get-off, struggles to disengage once blocked, limited potential in this area, only flashes a rip move and nothing else... Lacks the anchor and balance of an elite 3-4 nose tackle prospect and disappeared for stretches at a time playing at Memphis; moving him off the line of scrimmage is easier than expected... Doesn't always maintain gap responsibilities, blockers can easily seal him out of the play... Lacks ideal awareness of the ball carrier, he often ends up out of position to prevent backs from crossing the line of scrimmage... Staying low is difficult, comes out of his stance too high and can be driven off the ball; his height serves as a disadvantage, shorter centers have the natural leverage advantage and can get their hands into his chest, doesn't disengage well versus double teams... Gives up a ton of leverage at 6'5", ideal 3-4 nose tackle height is around 6'1" or 6'2" such as Casey Hampton, Vince Wilfork, Aubrayo Franklin or B.J. Raji... His ability to line up at nose tackle in a three-man front is questioned due to his lack of leverage and balance, has the size of a 3-4 nose but not the skill set, would be a more natural fit in a 4-3 or as a 3-4 DE (5-technique), doesn't project to 3-4 nose as well as his weight would suggest

Read more: http://sidelinescouting.com/rankings...#ixzz1nhUbOey5

saphojunkie 02-28-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8405082)
Except almost every scouting report says something to the effect of:

Negatives -- Pass rush ability is subpar despite impressive get-off, struggles to disengage once blocked, limited potential in this area, only flashes a rip move and nothing else... Lacks the anchor and balance of an elite 3-4 nose tackle prospect and disappeared for stretches at a time playing at Memphis; moving him off the line of scrimmage is easier than expected... Doesn't always maintain gap responsibilities, blockers can easily seal him out of the play... Lacks ideal awareness of the ball carrier, he often ends up out of position to prevent backs from crossing the line of scrimmage... Staying low is difficult, comes out of his stance too high and can be driven off the ball; his height serves as a disadvantage, shorter centers have the natural leverage advantage and can get their hands into his chest, doesn't disengage well versus double teams... Gives up a ton of leverage at 6'5", ideal 3-4 nose tackle height is around 6'1" or 6'2" such as Casey Hampton, Vince Wilfork, Aubrayo Franklin or B.J. Raji... His ability to line up at nose tackle in a three-man front is questioned due to his lack of leverage and balance, has the size of a 3-4 nose but not the skill set, would be a more natural fit in a 4-3 or as a 3-4 DE (5-technique), doesn't project to 3-4 nose as well as his weight would suggest

Read more: http://sidelinescouting.com/rankings...#ixzz1nhUbOey5

Just to be clear - Poe is 6'3", not the 6'5 he was reported as pre-combine.

Phil Taylor is 6'3". Terrence Cody is 6'4". Poe is an inch taller than wilfork and Raji.

I have no idea if he would work as a nose tackle or not. However, I am saying that one inch of height will not be the difference between the hall of fame and a bust.

Just as I had complete faith in Herm Edwards being able to draft and develop cornerbacks, I have complete faith in Romeo Crennel with defensive linemen. I'd rather have a physically gifted, raw player that doesn't have a ton of bad habits to unlearn.

Todd McShay is comparing him to Ngata:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...combinebuzz227

I'm not crazy on the Poe train - I'd rather have Soliai and DeCastro. But if we draft Poe, I won't be crying about another top pick going to the DL.

Direckshun 04-26-2012 09:32 PM

bump.

Nightfyre 04-26-2012 11:18 PM

I really liked that kid from Georgia in next years draft. Not remembering his name off the top of my head. Too bad we drafted Poe.

Chiefshrink 04-26-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 8571953)
I really liked that kid from Georgia in next years draft. Not remembering his name off the top of my head. Too bad we drafted Poe.

Well then, it looks like we are getting a QB next yr in the 1st rd after Cassel fails again. Guess Pioli decided to deal with the weak run D up the middle this year and decided next yr.'s QB crop coming out is better than the lower half of the QB crop this yr.(Tannehill,Weeden,Cousins,Osweiler).

This buys time for Pioli hoping Cassel finally comes around which won't happen.

the Talking Can 04-27-2012 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8360297)
Nose tackle prospects in the draft:

Dontari Poe, Memphis -- raw, from small school, inconsistent motor.

spot on

whoman69 04-27-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 8405195)
I'm not crazy on the Poe train - I'd rather have Soliai and DeCastro. But if we draft Poe, I won't be crying about another top pick going to the DL.

Is this the Poe train?

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/ima...1cf9530094.jpg

Or maybe more like this?

http://static2.travelandleisure.com/...11-b-train.jpg

kcbubb 05-02-2012 11:14 AM

I didn't realize how bad the NT draft was. I thought Chapman and Ta'amu were better than 4th and 5th round picks. Sometimes it is easier to tell about a guy by how far he falls because so many times pass them 3 or 4 times. These guys were much worse than I thought.

I guess that is why we took Poe so high. Because there were really no other viable options in the draft.

whoman69 05-03-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcbubb (Post 8587918)
I didn't realize how bad the NT draft was. I thought Chapman and Ta'amu were better than 4th and 5th round picks. Sometimes it is easier to tell about a guy by how far he falls because so many times pass them 3 or 4 times. These guys were much worse than I thought.

I guess that is why we took Poe so high. Because there were really no other viable options in the draft.

Or perhaps the other teams that knew they had a need crossed us off their list of competitors and knew they could get their guy later in the draft.

aturnis 05-03-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8592211)
Or perhaps the other teams that knew they had a need crossed us off their list of competitors and knew they could get their guy later in the draft.

Not only this, but how many teams NEED a starting NT? For teams other than the Chiefs, depth doesn't usually get drafted until round 4. Bubb has been making me scratch my head a lot lately.

Same thing happened to Stanzi. Teams that NEEDED QB's took them early. Not only that, but he was passed up for guys he was ranked higher than universally b/c they were several picks. i.e. He doesn't have a hand cannon, but gets great placement on the deep ball.