ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Wireless Adapter Problem (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=322368)

Buehler445 04-16-2019 06:33 PM

Wireless Adapter Problem

Need some help from those far smarter than I am.

I have a surface Pro that I dock up at the office. Yesterday the internet quit working on the machine, so come to find out the signal is super weak. Shit. Another computer in the office is working fine.

So I take the rig home and take it to the other end of the house from my router and it has great signal. Much longer distance, more wall the whole works.

Thinking it may have lined itself out I took it back and another laptop into the office. The laptop works fine, still no signal strength on the Surface.

Initially, I thought the hardware was failing, but it works at the house. I thought the router was failing but the spare laptop and the other computer are working fine. I have no idea what in the flying **** is going on.

Hardware Specs:

Computer: Surface Pro 4

Wireless Adapter: Marvell AVASTAR Wireless AC - Network Controller

Driver Version: 15.68.9125.57

Protocol 802.11N both routers.

Home Router: Shitty ass ATT Modem/Router combo

Office Router: Some ****ing high dollar MicroTik job that is supposed to be business class - provided by the ISP.

Any idea what I have going on here? TIA

DaFace 04-16-2019 06:48 PM

Wireless signal issues are a giant mess to troubleshoot. Things you can try:

-Update the driver for the wireless card on your Surface.
-Experiment with 2.4GHz vs. 5GHz bands on the router.
-Experiment with various channels on the router.

Buehler445 04-16-2019 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14209779)

Woof. That may be above my pay grade.

When I update the driver will it download it then install or do I have to do it on a different machine and get it on a USB? - no Ethernet port.

DaFace 04-16-2019 07:14 PM

Assuming you can get a network connection on the Surface at all, you should be able to just download and install it.

Also power cycle the router at the office just for fun.

Buehler445 04-16-2019 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14209805)
Assuming you can get a network connection on the Surface at all, you should be able to just download and install it.

Also power cycle the router at the office just for fun.

I can get connection at the house no problem.

I rebooted the router like 45 times.

Deberg_1990 04-16-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Could be some sort of interference as well. Would need to run some sort of wireless survey tool, or Fluke device to be sure though.

Buehler445 04-16-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Wireless Card has the most up to date driver. I'll see if I can get into the router tomorrow and mess with the bands/channels.

Buehler445 04-16-2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 14209908)
Could be some sort of interference as well. Would need to run some sort of wireless survey tool, or Fluke device to be sure though.

That second laptop I brought in I sat next to the Surface. That should preclude it from being interference.

DaFace 04-16-2019 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14209942)
That second laptop I brought in I sat next to the Surface. That should preclude it from being interference.

Just to make sure, they're both on the exact same network? (It's possible for one router to put out both a 2.4GHz signal and a 5GHz, which would have dramatic differences in range and bandwidth.)

Buehler445 04-16-2019 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14209957)
Just to make sure, they're both on the exact same network? (It's possible for one router to put out both a 2.4GHz signal and a 5GHz, which would have dramatic differences in range and bandwidth.)

Fair enough. I have no idea what it's doing.

DaFace 04-16-2019 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14209965)
Fair enough. I have no idea what it's doing.

Normally they'd have it set to default to two separate networks like BuehlerNetwork and BuehlerNetwork_5G or BuehlerNetwork_2. If they're both connecting to the same SSID (network name), that answers my question. But double-check it.

Buehler445 04-16-2019 09:06 PM

Yeah. There is only one network name.

Buehler445 04-17-2019 06:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This shit is all like reading Mandarin to me, but it looks like it is all on the same channel/band/whatever. Obviously 10.10.10.31 is the computer that isn't working.

2.4 GHz is the only band it operates out of. I selected N only, to see if that would make a difference and it did nothing.

I couldn't find anywhere to change the channel. It's supposed to have a shitload of channels but I'm pretty stupid on this stuff.

Any other ideas?

Dartgod 04-17-2019 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14209843)
I can get connection at the house no problem.

I rebooted the router like 45 times.

In my experience it usually takes 46 reboots to fix issues such as this.

DaFace 04-17-2019 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14210144)
This shit is all like reading Mandarin to me, but it looks like it is all on the same channel/band/whatever. Obviously 10.10.10.31 is the computer that isn't working.

2.4 GHz is the only band it operates out of. I selected N only, to see if that would make a difference and it did nothing.

I couldn't find anywhere to change the channel. It's supposed to have a shitload of channels but I'm pretty stupid on this stuff.

Any other ideas?

What options do you have under "band" and "frequency"?