ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Apple TV Buying Tips/Advice? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=322371)

vailpass 04-16-2019 09:40 PM

Apple TV Buying Tips/Advice?

I’m a Roku guy. I know nothing about Apple TV but in reading up it appears to be Apple’s version of a Roku box.

My 8th grade son wants one for his room. Considering getting him one. HD not 4K.

Question: Is there anything I should know before or after purchase or is it just a straightforward buy, plug, play?

TIA

patteeu 04-17-2019 04:31 AM

Plug and play.

Miles 04-17-2019 07:09 AM

If only $20-30 more you may still consider the 4K even if no need for the resolution. It’s two years newer with a more recent processor that should hold up better over time as updates roll out.

crispystl 04-17-2019 08:04 AM

Get a used one. Half the price and those things are rock solid.

DaFace 04-17-2019 08:18 AM

Why does he want Apple TV over Roku?

vailpass 04-17-2019 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 14210166)
If only $20-30 more you may still consider the 4K even if no need for the resolution. It’s two years newer with a more recent processor that should hold up better over time as updates roll out.

Thanks.

vailpass 04-17-2019 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14210301)
Why does he want Apple TV over Roku?

He's 14. He got an iphone and airpods for Christmas that moved him from android to apple.
He's 14.

underEJ 04-19-2019 04:32 PM

I bought one based on several recommendations, but I regret it. Two or three times a week it has connection issues with my wifi and has to be restarted. My roku never had issues, and my smart tv only once in 4 years when the service was clearly being throttled down. My iphone does it once in a while too, but it hasn't been annoying enough to replace that. It isn't that big of a deal if the interface and apps were superior, but they are worse. I often have to use my phone for better versions of apps and cast to the tv. I have several apple products and mostly love them, but this is just not one of them. When I call about the connection issues, their answer is to buy an airport (a discontinued product.)

tredadda 04-19-2019 07:48 PM

I contemplated getting one but the fact that Netflix will not be on it was a deal breaker.

vailpass 04-19-2019 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 14215706)
I contemplated getting one but the fact that Netflix will not be on it was a deal breaker.

Wait.
What?

Miles 04-19-2019 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14215729)
Wait.
What?

It’s the Apple TV streaming service still in the works that will not have Netflix offerings and not the device.

vailpass 04-19-2019 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 14215874)
It’s the Apple TV streaming service still in the works that will not have Netflix offerings and not the device.

Ah, thanks. Doesn't impact my situation then. The more I look the more it's looking like if he wants me to pay for it he can have a Roku stick now, or an Apple box for his birthday. Just can't justify the extra cost for the same features.

ChiliConCarnage 04-20-2019 02:34 AM

If you're gonna buy look at apples refurb store online. Items come boxed like new AFAIK and have the same warranty as new. You'll get a slight discount. The Apple TV 4k is nice but like all Apple stuff its expensive.

UteChief 04-20-2019 11:44 AM

The only benefit of the Apple TV versus the Roku is if you are purchasing TV shows or films in iTunes. I can’t speak to the UI for Roku but I love my Apple TV. I have the third generation and two HD (previously called the 4th generation).

Unlike underEJ, I have never experienced connection issues. I have 40mb/s internet. My only complaint is the remote can be finicky. I use my iPhone 95% of the time and it’s not a problem.

I do agree with ChiliConCarnage, I’ve seen few discounts and the refurb store is solid. The products look new, but ship in a box similar to new but without any print, meaning it won’t say Apple TV on it.

One thing I love is the ability to switch between my Apple account and my friends. They both have over 500 movies and hundreds of TV shows I can watch.

vailpass 04-20-2019 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage (Post 14215940)
If you're gonna buy look at apples refurb store online. Items come boxed like new AFAIK and have the same warranty as new. You'll get a slight discount. The Apple TV 4k is nice but like all Apple stuff its expensive.

Thanks.