ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Grilling questions....... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=185966)

Kylo Ren 06-15-2008 07:50 PM

Grilling questions.......

I've been doing more grilling lately. I enjoy it, but don't have much experience. For years, all I've done is burgers, dogs, brats, steaks, chicken and such. But, lately, I've been trying to do more things, like mushrooms, peppers, pineaple and other things.

Sorry if these are stupid or simplistic questions for some of you master grillers........ But, I'm really enjoying learning new cooking methods and new foods, even if they are simple. As I learn, I'll start cooking more complex foods and using more complex methods.

How should I grill red potatoes? Do I boil them first, then finish them on the grill? Or, do I just skewer them raw and grill them without any pre-cooking?

How should I grill corn on the cob? I was just going to wrap each cob in foil with some butter. Then, as I grill, I'll keep turning them, which will baste them in the butter. I know there are better methods, but that is where I was going to start.

For now, as I'm learning techniques, I'm grilling with gas. I know that charcoal is better. But, I'm not buying a new grill right now. When I progress to another grilling level, I'll buy a charcoal grill and maybe a smoker. But, I don't know that I'll ever be a smoker, because I am not that patient. I can't spend hours cooking. Grilling is probably all that I'll enjoy doing.

Anyway, please give me some pointers, tips, techniques and recepies.

Thanks!!

Fire Me Boy! 06-15-2008 08:12 PM

A grill can be a sort of one-pot meal. You can cook just about anything on a grill. You can do mains, sides, desserts... just about everything.

For potatoes, wrap them in foil with some onions and butter with seasoning (like salt, pepper, garlic). Make sure when you're wrapping that you get a good seal so juice doesn't flow out when you flip it. Also good if you add carrots.

Corn on the cob - Don't wrap corn on the cob. It comes with it's own wrapper. Peel the husk away from the corn, but do NOT take the husk off. Take out all the silk, then put the husk back around the corn. Soak in water for about 30 minutes. Grill until the husks look burned. Should be good to go.

I'll try to chime in a little later.

Happy grilling!

the Talking Can 06-15-2008 08:21 PM

corn is great on the grill...

just soak in water for awhile then grill for about 20 minutes, turn several times....the silk will come off easy afterwards....

Phobia 06-15-2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunther_Fan (Post 4795219)
But, I don't know that I'll ever be a smoker, because I am not that patient. I can't spend hours cooking. Grilling is probably all that I'll enjoy doing.

I used to say that very same thing and then I got a smoker 3 years ago.

Phobia 06-15-2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunther_Fan (Post 4795219)
But, I don't know that I'll ever be a smoker, because I am not that patient. I can't spend hours cooking. Grilling is probably all that I'll enjoy doing.

I used to say that very same thing and then I got a smoker 3 or 4 years ago.

Buehler445 06-15-2008 08:30 PM

I've found that if you slice a red onion pretty thick and throw it on the grill with some burgers, it is pretty fantastic. Some say baste with melted butter, but that along with the grease is a little too much for me IMO.

The potatoes, onion, butter and tin foil is a good way to go. Just throw whatever veggies you have in there with them. It will be good.

I am a pretty huge fan of pork tenderloin on the grill. Throw on some season salt and grill it low, and it is a damn good entree.

The Barbecue Bible is a good book to read if you are looking for some good recipes. There is definitely some crazy shit in there, but also some really good stuff along with tips for n00bs like us:)

AustinChief 06-15-2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 4795251)
I used to say that very same thing and then I got a smoker 3 or 4 years ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 4795250)
I used to say that very same thing and then I got a smoker 3 years ago.

WOW! You liked it so much you got two of them!

:)

Hoover 06-15-2008 09:34 PM

For the potatoes I throw them in a foil bag with some butter seasoning, onions and some garlic and a couple Ice cubes to keep some moisture in there while cooking. I also cook veggies this way. Yum

As for corn soak it in water and throw it on. If you want a butter trick get a mason jar and fill it half way with hot water, then add a stick of butter. The butter will melt ans stay on top of the water allowing you to perfectly coat your ear of corn with butter. You hold on tho the husks.

Pablo 06-15-2008 09:38 PM

Yeah, when I make potatoes, I usually get the Yukon Gold kind, slice them into rounds and then throw them in a bag with Old Bay, steak seasoning, black pepper and garlic salt. Then chop up a sweet onion and throw it in the bag with the rest of the stuff, and shake. Throw it in an aluminum foil bag with 3 pats of butter and enjoy in about 30-40 minutes.

I made candied sweet potatoes on the grill a few weeks ago. Just cut up a couple yams, threw in a good deal of brown sugar, some cinnamon, butter and those were pretty damn good.

Kylo Ren 06-15-2008 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 4795238)
A grill can be a sort of one-pot meal. You can cook just about anything on a grill. You can do mains, sides, desserts... just about everything.

For potatoes, wrap them in foil with some onions and butter with seasoning (like salt, pepper, garlic). Make sure when you're wrapping that you get a good seal so juice doesn't flow out when you flip it. Also good if you add carrots.

Corn on the cob - Don't wrap corn on the cob. It comes with it's own wrapper. Peel the husk away from the corn, but do NOT take the husk off. Take out all the silk, then put the husk back around the corn. Soak in water for about 30 minutes. Grill until the husks look burned. Should be good to go.

I'll try to chime in a little later.

Happy grilling!

How do you know the potatoes are done without opening the foil? How long do you cook them? On high, medium or low heat? Thanks!

Phobia 06-15-2008 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunther_Fan (Post 4795340)
How do you know the potatoes are done without opening the foil? How long do you cook them? On high, medium or low heat? Thanks!

You squeeze them. You cook them until they're done. You cook them at whatever temp you're using for the other stuff. How long depends on their size and your temp, obviously.

ClevelandBronco 06-15-2008 10:17 PM

Hey, rag on the Chiefs all you want, I guess. Until a mod shows up, you'll have your day in the sun.

BUT DON'T **** WITH THE BARBECUE AND GRILLING THREADS.

stlchiefs 06-15-2008 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DENCHIEFFANMURDERA (Post 4795439)
Phil Kloster

I ****ed your wife.

Time to pull an IP

the Talking Can 06-15-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DENCHIEFFANMURDERA (Post 4795439)
Phil Kloster

I ****ed your wife.

so, is this kotter, tom cash, or gochiefs?

Hammock Parties 06-15-2008 10:19 PM

Corn grillin' :

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/7910/cimg2811uy0.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4795450)
so, is this kotter, - ahem, shut your mouth -, or gochiefs?

It's Bronco LB 52. Back for the 100th time.