ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Need advice on cutting cable cost. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271843)

NewChief 11-23-2013 09:06 AM

Kids are watching a streaming YouTube video and I'm taking a dump. Video ends, but I'm not finished. I know they're about to come bothering me. Whip out phone, open Xbmc remote, restart video. Operation poop in peace is still a go.

ragedogg69 11-23-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10213098)
So, yeah, 1080i or 720p sports streams? That's what I need to cut the cable.

That is a tough one. I have come across HD VLC playlists for NHL, BIG 10 and Pac-12 Networks. NFL gamepass if you can get an Argentina proxy to work. Navi X occasionally has HD sport streams. They are tough to find there. OTA antenna for local stuff in HD. Cable channels are streamed but not in HD.

Streaming is getting better and better. It wont be long before a 720p stream becomes the standard IMHO.

ragedogg69 11-23-2013 11:15 AM

I should also recommend the ESPN Video add on. Basically it takes all the videos from espn.com in HD. In the mornings, I use it to make an old fashioned SportsCenter, back when it was non stop highlights and no analysis.

NewChief 11-23-2013 11:57 PM

Love/hate relationship going on. My Gbox seems to crash at the worst times: like when my techno impatient wife is sitting down to watch something with me. Netflix sucks on it, ice films is spotty as far as reliability, and I can't get 1channel going yet. Some issues may be that my internet connection isn't fast enough for something that isn't stream optimized like Netflix. Anyway, happier with netflix on the Wii at this point though I really like the potential of xbmc. I just can't reach it yet evidently.

ragedogg69 11-24-2013 05:08 PM

thats the shame of andoid boxes. they are cheap but new builds. if bug free is what you need for the WAF, your best bet would be a NUC.

NewChief 11-27-2013 08:55 AM

Finally got 1channel up and running. It's a game changer.

Kidd Lex 11-27-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10228606)
Finally got 1channel up and running. It's a game changer.

Please elaborate :hmmm:

I'm thinking of booting Dtv as well...

NewChief 11-27-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The God Hypothesis (Post 10228631)
Please elaborate :hmmm:

I'm thinking of booting Dtv as well...

It's just more developed with more reliable streams than ice films.

Since installing it this morning, I've caught up on the Walking Dead and my kids are now watching the new Percy Jackson.

Oh, just so you know: 1channel is just an add on for XBMC.

Skyy God 11-27-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10212165)
So if I get a keyboard that works with the gbox, then I'll just be able to type in all the URLs and paths and such, correct?

Which Gbox do you have? I'm considering one instead of re-jailbreaking my Apple TV2.

The Franchise 11-27-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10213173)
Kids are watching a streaming YouTube video and I'm taking a dump. Video ends, but I'm not finished. I know they're about to come bothering me. Whip out phone, open Xbmc remote, restart video. Operation poop in peace is still a go.

That's worth all the money in the world.

Fish 11-27-2013 12:02 PM

You'd be surprised how quickly the kids learn to navigate XBMC. My daughter can do just about anything at this point. Navigate different plugins, search, browse genres, even add shows to the library so it notifies you when there's a new episode of the TV series you add.

ragedogg69 11-27-2013 12:15 PM

Anyone familiar with the premium streaming sites like offsidestreams or starstreams? Supposedly, they offer live sports in 720p for a few dollars a month. After all the trouble I had with Sports Devil during the Pacman fight this Saturday, I am debating on getting it. Waiting for torrents the following morning doesnt work well for sports. :(

NewChief 11-27-2013 02:04 PM

Question: I've saved some shows into my library on 1channel. Where do those then appear? I'd like to be able to quickly navigate back to a series I'm watching without having yo browse to it or search for it.

I'm using the Confluence skin, if that makes a difference.
Currently there is no "library" tab under the video tab at the moment on my box. In screenshots of others I've seen, there is one.

NewChief 11-27-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 10228809)
Which Gbox do you have? I'm considering one instead of re-jailbreaking my Apple TV2.

Midnight MX2 preinstalled with xbmc.

NewChief 11-27-2013 03:06 PM

So it looks like I have to jump through some hoops to set up .strm files to add into my library? But when I "add to library" from 1channel, they have to be saving somewhere? I should be able to browse to that location through "add video source" right?

Fish 11-27-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10229262)
Question: I've saved some shows into my library on 1channel. Where do those then appear? I'd like to be able to quickly navigate back to a series I'm watching without having yo browse to it or search for it.

I'm using the Confluence skin, if that makes a difference.
Currently there is no "library" tab under the video tab at the moment on my box. In screenshots of others I've seen, there is one.

You have to add a Video Files source. The Library won't show up until you add a movies or TV folder.

First go to 1Channel addon settings. Go to the Library Integration tab. Set your download folders for movies and TV. Remember where you set them. This is where it will store the strm files.

Then go to main XBMC screen. Go to Videos\Files. Click Add Videos. Then add the folder that you set in the 1Channel addon settings. Tell it whether the folder is movies or TV. Then have it scan the folder for new content. After that, you'll see a new entry appear in the main XBMC screen for your Library.

Here's a video:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eBAVw2VbbXc?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can skip to about the 2min mark, and see how to add movies or skip to 5:20 to see how to add TV to the Library.

jjjayb 11-27-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10228951)
Anyone familiar with the premium streaming sites like offsidestreams or starstreams? Supposedly, they offer live sports in 720p for a few dollars a month. After all the trouble I had with Sports Devil during the Pacman fight this Saturday, I am debating on getting it. Waiting for torrents the following morning doesnt work well for sports. :(

Get acestream installed then go to www.wiziwig.tv I was watching a 2000kbps stream of the fight using acestream in vlc player. I had it set to a 20 second delay. I had not one buffer, or loss of signal through the whole fight.

ragedogg69 11-28-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjjayb (Post 10229820)
Get acestream installed then go to www.wiziwig.tv I was watching a 2000kbps stream of the fight using acestream in vlc player. I had it set to a 20 second delay. I had not one buffer, or loss of signal through the whole fight.

any issues with security with acestream? i have read it does shady things to your ports for a potential back door. I have used wiziwig a lot. seems like the community prefers streamtorrent for football.

NewChief 12-01-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10229526)
You have to add a Video Files source. The Library won't show up until you add a movies or TV folder.

First go to 1Channel addon settings. Go to the Library Integration tab. Set your download folders for movies and TV. Remember where you set them. This is where it will store the strm files.

Then go to main XBMC screen. Go to Videos\Files. Click Add Videos. Then add the folder that you set in the 1Channel addon settings. Tell it whether the folder is movies or TV. Then have it scan the folder for new content. After that, you'll see a new entry appear in the main XBMC screen for your Library.

Here's a video:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eBAVw2VbbXc?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can skip to about the 2min mark, and see how to add movies or skip to 5:20 to see how to add TV to the Library.

Sweet. Thanks man. Another hurdle down. Now I've got to try to get airplay to work.

NewChief 12-04-2013 11:23 PM

Damn you for turning me on to Xbmc. I've probably watched more movies and shows in the last two weeks than I have in the last year. Absolutely love the interface and ability to pop out to main menu and browse through weather and such while movie is playing in background. It just feels cool.

Still need to get Spotimc working properly, and I really hope they get Airplay fixed with ios7 and xbmc soon. Otherwise, just awesome.

SuperChief 12-04-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10249166)
Damn you for turning me on to Xbmc. I've probably watched more movies and shows in the last two weeks than I have in the last year. Absolutely love the interface and ability to pop out to main menu and browse through weather and such while movie is playing in background. It just feels cool.

Still need to get Spotimc working properly, and I really hope they get Airplay fixed with ios7 and xbmc soon. Otherwise, just awesome.

Honestly, I can't really think how I did the whole streaming video thing before I found (via Fish) XBMC. It's been a complete game changer for my household.

aturnis 12-05-2013 01:00 AM

Is XBMC family friendly as far as operation goes?

NewChief 12-05-2013 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10249281)
Is XBMC family friendly as far as operation goes?

Once you get it set up, yes. The main problem would be if things get glitchy, and you're not around to problem solve (usually involves force refreshing the repository of the buggy app).

That happens to me with my wife and any system though. No matter how many times I tell her reboot the router if the internet goes down, I still get texts "The internet is down at the house, can you fix it?"

Fish 12-05-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10249166)

Heh... Glad it's working for you and the family. XBMC is getting incredibly powerful since its inception. I've been running XBMC since the beginning, back when it was called XBMP. Started running it on a modded original XBOX, which is where the name originated. It started as XBox Media Player, and eventually morphed into XBMC(XBox Media Center). Even though it currently runs on any platform, it's still retained the name.

I got an AppleTV2, and configured it up for my Dad and Stepmom a couple years ago. Last visit home over Thanksgiving, the first thing my Stepmom said to me was "If you want your father and I's marriage to continue, you've got to fix that damn movie box."

:toast:

BWillie 12-05-2013 12:36 PM

I just got a pretty good deal from Comcast. $104 for the same shit I had. Still get espn1, 2, news, u. CBS sports, nfl network, nba tv. Etcetc. Basically I get all the sports channels except b10 network. Entire house dvr. Faster internet. Same if not better service as I was previously getting for $185. Had to do 3 yr contract but cancellation fee is only $300, and goes down a certain % each month. So if Google Fiber comes in 1.5 yrs itll just be $150 to cancel

jjjayb 12-05-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 10250114)
I just got a pretty good deal from Comcast. $104 for the same shit I had. Still get espn1, 2, news, u. CBS sports, nfl network, nba tv. Etcetc. Basically I get all the sports channels except b10 network. Entire house dvr. Faster internet. Same if not better service as I was previously getting for $185. Had to do 3 yr contract but cancellation fee is only $300, and goes down a certain % each month. So if Google Fiber comes in 1.5 yrs itll just be $150 to cancel

I just signed back up because of that too. $100/mo here with 250Mbit connection. Only a 2 year contract, but rate is guarnteed for 3 years.

Fish 12-05-2013 06:40 PM

There's a new XBMC plugin for TV shows, that's been working really well for me.

TVOnline. It's just TV shows, but it works great and it's really reliable. You don't have to pick sources, it doesn't buffer, and the selection is good. This plugin is new, so future development will make it even better. You can subscribe to shows, and they'll show up in your library and new show will be added to your library automatically when they come available. It's pretty solid.

Info here:

http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/kinkin...-tvonline.html

NewChief 12-05-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10250922)
There's a new XBMC plugin for TV shows, that's been working really well for me.

TVOnline. It's just TV shows, but it works great and it's really reliable. You don't have to pick sources, it doesn't buffer, and the selection is good. This plugin is new, so future development will make it even better. You can subscribe to shows, and they'll show up in your library and new show will be added to your library automatically when they come available. It's pretty solid.

Info here:

http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/kinkin...-tvonline.html

Cool. I'll give it a try. I don't watch a ton of current TV but will be helpful when GoT starts back up. How does it choose the source? Just bases choice on most views?

Fish 12-05-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10250945)
Cool. I'll give it a try. I don't watch a ton of current TV but will be helpful when GoT starts back up. How does it choose the source? Just bases choice on most views?

I believe it's all from tvonline.cc. There's a register process, but you can put whatever you want for email, it doesn't actually check the email and you go straight to the media. Breeze through that thread it has all the info. Would be nice for family to use, pretty simple and reliable.

aturnis 12-05-2013 11:47 PM

But can I watch DuckTales?

ragedogg69 12-06-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10249810)
"If you want your father and I's marriage to continue,

reading that gave me an aneurysm, but I cannot figure out what would be proper.

what quality are the shows on tvonline.cc? I cannot watch anything but 720p rips of TV Shows.

CoMoChief 12-06-2013 06:10 PM

So how would you be able to watch like Chiefs games or MU/KU college bball games with these programs?

ragedogg69 12-07-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 10253143)
So how would you be able to watch like Chiefs games or MU/KU college bball games with these programs?

sportsdevil add on or live stream apps like veetle or Navi-X. Supposedly, Mashup has high quality feeds, but if you install those add ons, it will also install ads and tracking software. I highly recommend you do not support the xunity add on team.

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-09-2013 04:15 PM

Question for the resident HTPC experts.

I am too long out of the game, but am looking towards cord cutting myself. It seems like a good thing to do over X-Mas break.

I have the following right now in the living room:

HTPC:

AM 3 MoBo, AMD Propus 45nm 3.0 GHZ quad-core chip, 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM, 1.8 TB storage, Windows 7.

It's connected to the internet through a D-Link Wireless Bridge. Our router is a basic Linskys N router.

I want to be able to stream content to the connected TV and do our second LCD TV. I'd also like to function as a DVR.

We current have DTV and 30 MBPS internet. I'm looking to drop the DTV completely. I can build an OTA antenna myself and mount it in the attic.

I'd like to have Dual Tuner capability.

What would you recommend that I add to the setup from a hardware perspective (including STBs)?

It looks like XMBC is the de facto choice on here for software. I'll also sign back up for Hulu Plus.

My wife usually watches generic, dumbass Bravo programming, so I'm sure I can get that via Hulu, and I know I'm likely SOL w/ sports, but what might you recommend if I wanted to watch college basketball and football?

Many rheps to responders.

Bump 12-09-2013 04:55 PM

I cut the cord on DTV and just use netflix and hulu. I'm thinking about watching stuff on project free TV, but I dunno...feel like I might get a virus.

But the way I look at it, DTV was great the first year, paying $40 per month. After that, without any sort of changes to my programming. The bill always ranged from $90 - 120 per month after that. Just for the regular cable channels, no HBO or anything like that.

I ended up cancelling 2 months early and gladly paid $40 to do so. Netflix and hulu cost me $16 per month. So the way I look at it, I've already saved around $350 since I have cancelled and feels great.

Now if I can get an alternative to comcast internet and their $80 per month price, that would be great. But the only other option here is RCN or Verizon. So, which would be the lesser evil? I don't know.

NewChief 12-10-2013 09:03 AM

Here's the dumbest XBMC "brick" story ever:

I installed Aeon Nox skin because I thought it looked cool. It has a "splash" boot screen on it, though, that it goes to before putting you into the main menu. The only problem with that, though, is that my MX2 remote control "home" button only causes the splash screen to reload instead of going to the actual main menu. No worries, though, because the XBMC remote app on my iPhone/Pad would navigate it to the main menu without any issues. All was well... until my XBMC remote app stopped connecting.

Now I'm stuck on the splash screen, unable to access my settings to change anything just because I installed a skin. I can't work on the box and troubleshoot it (I think all that's happened is that my box isn't hitting my wireless network now) because I can't get past this screen. XBMC was really running awesome up until then.

I think I'm going to have to do a fresh install from SD card.

Fish 12-11-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10265345)
Here's the dumbest XBMC "brick" story ever:

I installed Aeon Nox skin because I thought it looked cool. It has a "splash" boot screen on it, though, that it goes to before putting you into the main menu. The only problem with that, though, is that my MX2 remote control "home" button only causes the splash screen to reload instead of going to the actual main menu. No worries, though, because the XBMC remote app on my iPhone/Pad would navigate it to the main menu without any issues. All was well... until my XBMC remote app stopped connecting.

Now I'm stuck on the splash screen, unable to access my settings to change anything just because I installed a skin. I can't work on the box and troubleshoot it (I think all that's happened is that my box isn't hitting my wireless network now) because I can't get past this screen. XBMC was really running awesome up until then.

I think I'm going to have to do a fresh install from SD card.

Can you boot the device and browse files in the Android OS? If so, you can manually switch back to the default Confluence skin.

Navigate to ~/.xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml You can edit that file to change back to Confluence, or simply delete the file and let it be recreated. You'll lose your other XBMC system settings if you delete the file though.

007 12-12-2013 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10187554)
That's the old unit, and for some reason more expensive.

Here's the shiznit: http://www.amazon.com/G-Box-Midnight.../dp/B00CH643A8

Like I said, the ATV2 is pretty aged and limited in hardware. But it is pretty nice for Airplay purposes. But the most recent iOS for ATV2 is what's called a tethered jailbreak. Meaning you need to hook it up to a computer and do a special tether boot in order to run XBMC. If you kill power to the unit, you'll have to do the tethered boot with your computer to get it working again. It's a PIA in most cases. And any ATV2 you find right now will likely have the newest OS on it. If it has an older OS, you can do an untethered jailbreak and use it as normal. But those are hard to find...

The Android boxes are the way to go now, IMO. You can simply download the Netflix Android app and run it directly from there. There's an XBMC netflix solution, but you'll have better performance running it natively through the Android OS.

Keep in mind that XBMC can access media from any protocol that is shared on the network. So you could simply setup an SMB, AFP, or NFS share from any/all computers, and add it as a source in XBMC and play media that way.

There's always a way...

Hmmm, I may just have to take a closer look at this box. My wife is a tv zombie and has me recording shit on three DVRs now. It would be nice to NOT have to utilize DVRs to get her shows.

NewChief 12-12-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10268629)
Can you boot the device and browse files in the Android OS? If so, you can manually switch back to the default Confluence skin.

Navigate to ~/.xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml You can edit that file to change back to Confluence, or simply delete the file and let it be recreated. You'll lose your other XBMC system settings if you delete the file though.

Nope. I can't get into the Android files. I boot into the Android Recovery screen, and it has four options:

From there I can do a factor reset/restore (which I'm assuming will wipe XBMC from the system), reboot, or restore from SD card or network drive (I think).

durtyrute 12-12-2013 09:22 AM

You wanna cut cable cost, cut cable.

Fish 12-12-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10270707)
Nope. I can't get into the Android files. I boot into the Android Recovery screen, and it has four options:

From there I can do a factor reset/restore (which I'm assuming will wipe XBMC from the system), reboot, or restore from SD card or network drive (I think).

Have you tried the toothpick reset by pressing the little hidden button on the AV port?

Have you tried this: http://matricom.net/forums/#/discuss...tricom-screen-

NewChief 12-12-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10270950)
Have you tried the toothpick reset by pressing the little hidden button on the AV port?

Have you tried this: http://matricom.net/forums/#/discuss...tricom-screen-

Yeah, that's how i get the Android boot screen up (the toothpick trick). My next step is to do the firmware reinstall from SD card.

the Talking Can 12-12-2013 11:48 AM

I use playon to stream, paid a one time $50 fee..w/ a roku

I can get most cable channels live through various plugins, plus the whole archive of movies and tv via channel1 and some others.

Best part is they just released a browser plugin the lets you stream any video you are watching to your tv w/ the click of a button. It's how I watch all sports now.

plus netflix and aero for $8 each a month

never ever going back to cable, saving $100 a month

ragedogg69 12-16-2013 04:31 PM

quick question regarding the advancedsettings.xml file. I have been copying and pasting code from pastebins and code sections from forums, but I notice they are not tabbing out the spacing. Does that matter?

advancedsettings
network>
cachemembuffersize>104857600/cachemembuffersize>
/network>
/advancedsettings>

or should it all be tabbed like an outline? Does it matter?

(forum will not let me start the < command)

Fish 12-16-2013 04:34 PM

Spaces don't matter with the code. It ignores spaces, as well as some other characters.

If in doubt, take a look at your xbmc.log file. If your advancedsettings.xml file is working/interpreted correctly, it should be visible in your log file. If there's a problem with it, it will tell you in the log file.

NewChief 12-16-2013 09:16 PM

I'm trying to put the new firmware on an SD card, and I can't get it to extract.

It either says the .zip file is empty or that I need the last volume in a multivolume.

Edit:
Finally found a firmware update that seems to be valid and work. Currently have the icon that indicates that firmware is upgrading, so I'm hopeful. The other files listed in the youtube videos and message boards didn't seem to actually have anything in them (they downloaded super fast vs. this one which was about 4gigs).

NewChief 12-16-2013 10:43 PM

Yes! Thank god. I'm up and running again. I wouldn't say that was an exactly fun way to spend an evening, but I learned a few things hacking around with the box... and I now have xbmc up and running with 1channel currently downloading.

NewChief 12-17-2013 10:26 AM

Question (sort of dumb and lazy, but whatever...):

Is there a universal movie app of some kind that will save movies that I'm wanting to watch into a list? What I'd like to do is, when I'm at my PC at work or talking to someone with my mobile device handy and run across a movie I'd like to watch... I'd like to be able to add it to a list that will automatically show up in my 1channel app.

My problem is that I'm always sitting in front of the TV and end up browsing around because I can't remember a movie that I've been meaning to watch (pathetic, I know).

Alternately: something along the lines of Goodreads, but for movies, would be great. An online community where I can browse movies, flag movies as "watched/to-watch" and read reviews (I know IMDB has some of this functionality), preferably they'd also have a mobile app.

Fish 12-17-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10287002)
Question (sort of dumb and lazy, but whatever...):

Is there a universal movie app of some kind that will save movies that I'm wanting to watch into a list? What I'd like to do is, when I'm at my PC at work or talking to someone with my mobile device handy and run across a movie I'd like to watch... I'd like to be able to add it to a list that will automatically show up in my 1channel app.

My problem is that I'm always sitting in front of the TV and end up browsing around because I can't remember a movie that I've been meaning to watch (pathetic, I know).

Alternately: something along the lines of Goodreads, but for movies, would be great. An online community where I can browse movies, flag movies as "watched/to-watch" and read reviews (I know IMDB has some of this functionality), preferably they'd also have a mobile app.

I'm not aware of a solution like that which would work with 1Channel. But I'll take a look.

Probably a good opportunity to pimp my very favorite XBMC plugin again, which does exactly what you're requesting.

What the Furk

What the Furk is a plugin used in conjunction with a subscription to the Furk.net website($7-8/mth). Furk is a torrent aggregator. Meaning it will search all available torrent sites for the media you're looking for, and download it from the torrent site to its own servers. Then you can direct download the media safely without ever having to go through the torrent process, including being tagged for copyright violations and such. WTF can stream 1080p content with no problem as well. You can set your desired video quality so it will only display results that match it, etc.

The WTF plugin can also incorporate IMDB watchlists. So you go to the IMDB site and create different watchlists. You can create them to suite your family needs such as Kids Movies, Kids TV, Wife Movies, My Movies, My TV, etc. Then add the titles to each. In the plugin, it will show up as a list. It works very well, and it's been my go to solution for quite a while. IMDB has a smartphone app as well.

Once you start using WTF, you'll likely only use 1Channel for stuff you might not be able to find on WTF. The only downfall of WTF is that new TV episodes usually take a few days to get added. So generally I only use 1Channel these days when I'm too impatient to wait another day or so to watch on WTF.

It's a little confusing setting it up, but once it's setup it's bad ass.

NewChief 12-17-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10287098)
I'm not aware of a solution like that which would work with 1Channel. But I'll take a look.

Probably a good opportunity to pimp my very favorite XBMC plugin again, which does exactly what you're requesting.

What the Furk

What the Furk is a plugin used in conjunction with a subscription to the Furk.net website($7-8/mth). Furk is a torrent aggregator. Meaning it will search all available torrent sites for the media you're looking for, and download it from the torrent site to its own servers. Then you can direct download the media safely without ever having to go through the torrent process, including being tagged for copyright violations and such. WTF can stream 1080p content with no problem as well. You can set your desired video quality so it will only display results that match it, etc.

The WTF plugin can also incorporate IMDB watchlists. So you go to the IMDB site and create different watchlists. You can create them to suite your family needs such as Kids Movies, Kids TV, Wife Movies, My Movies, My TV, etc. Then add the titles to each. In the plugin, it will show up as a list. It works very well, and it's been my go to solution for quite a while. IMDB has a smartphone app as well.

Once you start using WTF, you'll likely only use 1Channel for stuff you might not be able to find on WTF. The only downfall of WTF is that new TV episodes usually take a few days to get added. So generally I only use 1Channel these days when I'm too impatient to wait another day or so to watch on WTF.

It's a little confusing setting it up, but once it's setup it's bad ass.

That looks pretty awesome, and I may pull the trigger on it before long.

Hey, do you use a wireless keyboard/mouse with your box? Considering buying one and stopping using my iPad/iPhone with the remote app.

NewChief 12-23-2013 04:35 PM

Okay, Fish. I'm having some crashing issues while playing video as well as some streaming issues in general. I think it may be a result of my wireless network (or maybe it's on the server side). Here are the warnnings:

Quote:

12:16:07 T:1753925048 DEBUG: - dropping packet type:1 dts:3722948000.000000 to get to start point at 3723182000.000000
12:16:07 T:1753925048 DEBUG: - dropping packet type:2 dts:3722969000.000000 to get to start point at 3723182000.000000
12:16:07 T:1753925048 DEBUG: - dropping packet type:1 dts:3722971000.000000 to get to start point at 3723182000.000000
12:16:07 T:1753925048 DEBUG: - dropping packet type:1 dts:3722995000.000000 to get to start point at 3723182000.000000
12:16:07 T:1753925048 DEBUG: - dropping packet type:2 dts:3723011000.000000 to get to start point at 3723182000.000000
12:16:07 T:1753925048 DEBUG: - dropping packet type:1 dts:3723018000.000000 to get to start point at 3723182000.000000
12:16:07 T:1753925048 DEBUG: - dropping packet type:1 dts:3723041000.000000 to get to start point at 3723182000.000000
12:16:07 T:1751347160 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
12:16:07 T:1753925048 DEBUG: - dropping packet type:2 dts:3723053000.000000 to get to start point at 3723182000.000000
12:16:07 T:1753925048 DEBUG: - dropping packet type:1 dts:3723064000.000000 to get to start point at 3723182000.000000
12:16:07 T:1753925048 DEBUG: - dropping packet type:1 dts:3723088000.000000 to get to start point at 3723182000.000000
12:16:07 T:1753925048 DEBUG: - dropping packet type:2 dts:3723094000.000000 to get to start point at 3723182000.000000
12:16:07 T:1753925048 DEBUG: - dropping packet type:1 dts:3723111000.000000 to get to start point at 3723182000.000000
12:16:07 T:1753925048 DEBUG: - dropping packet type:1 dts:3723134000.000000 to get to start point at 3723182000.000000
12:16:07 T:1753925048 DEBUG: - dropping packet type:2 dts:3723136000.000000 to get to start point at 3723182000.000000
12:16:07 T:1753925048 DEBUG: - dropping packet type:1 dts:3723157000.000000 to get to start point at 3723182000.000000
12:16:07 T:1753925048 DEBUG: - dropping packet type:2 dts:3723178000.000000 to get to start point at 3723182000.000000
12:16:07 T:1753925048 DEBUG: - dropping packet type:1 dts:3723180000.000000 to get to start point at 3723182000.000000
12:16:07 T:1751347160 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
12:16:07 T:1751347160 DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio - CDVDMsg::GENERAL_RESYNC(3723204000.000000, 1)
12:16:07 T:1753925048 DEBUG: CDVDPlayer::HandleMessages - player started 1
12:16:08 T:1759415824 DEBUG: : trying mouse action leftclick
12:16:08 T:1759415824 DEBUG: : Translating PlayerControl(Play)
12:16:08 T:1759415824 DEBUG: : To PlayerControl(Play)
12:16:08 T:1759415824 DEBUG: CDVDPlayer::SetCaching - caching state 0
12:16:08 T:1707700744 DEBUG: CSoftAE::Run - Sink restart flagged
12:16:08 T:1707700744 INFO: CSoftAE::InternalOpenSink - keeping old sink with : AE_FMT_FLOAT, FL,FR, 44100hz
12:16:08 T:1751347160 DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity1 - was:3723084941.594104, should be:3723204000.000000, error:119058.405896
12:16:08 T:1707700744 DEBUG: CSoftAE::InternalOpenSink - Using speaker layout: 2.0
12:16:08 T:1707700744 DEBUG: CSoftAE::InternalOpenSink - Internal Buffer Size: 60208
12:16:08 T:1753966240 DEBUG: CAMLCodec::SetSpeed, speed(1000)
12:16:08 T:1753966240 DEBUG: CDVDPlayerVideo - CDVDMsg::GENERAL_RESYNC(3723220000.000000, 0)
12:16:08 T:1759415824 DEBUG: Unfocus WindowID: 12901, ControlID: 202
12:16:08 T:1751347160 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
12:16:09 T:1753966240 WARNING: Previous line repeats 2 times.
12:16:09 T:1753966240 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(video)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
12:16:09 T:1751347160 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
12:16:09 T:1753966240 WARNING: Previous line repeats 1 times.
12:16:09 T:1753966240 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(video)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
12:16:09 T:1751347160 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
12:16:09 T:1751347160 DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity1 - was:3724320197.000000, should be:3724016219.954648, error:-303977.045352
12:16:10 T:1707700744 WARNING: Previous line repeats 4 times.
12:16:10 T:1707700744 DEBUG: CSoftAEStream::GetFrame - Underrun
12:16:10 T:1751347160 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
12:16:11 T:1753966240 WARNING: Previous line repeats 1 times.
Entire debug log is here: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=101157

Fish 12-23-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10306840)
Okay, Fish. I'm having some crashing issues while playing video as well as some streaming issues in general. I think it may be a result of my wireless network (or maybe it's on the server side). Here are the warnnings:

Entire debug log is here: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=101157

Those warnings there are irrelevant. You'll find the exact same on machines that are working fine. Your log file doesn't really indicate that anything is wrong with XBMC. I see a lack of response from moviedb.org, which is used for downloading metadata. Looks like their server didn't respond quick enough. Some warnings about audio discontinuity. But that is usually the video file itself not being encoded correctly. Nothing really jumps out from the log file.

Could you give more detail on what's happening?
How do you have Audio configured in XBMC system settings?
Have you done any changes recently that might correlate with the issue? Did you add a different advancedsettings.xml or anything? You're running the zero cache version, which is actually the same one I use too.

Only thing of note is that you're still running v12.0. 12.2 is the newest stable version. Are you still running the custom version of XBMC from the manufacturer of your box, or can you upgrade to 12.2? Some of the plugins can be picky about needing the newest version.

I would note that if at all possible, I'd use wired networking. Performance and reliability seem much better that way. Make sure to reboot your modem and router too. Make sure your router firmware is up to date.

NewChief 12-23-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10307162)
Those warnings there are irrelevant. You'll find the exact same on machines that are working fine. Your log file doesn't really indicate that anything is wrong with XBMC. I see a lack of response from moviedb.org, which is used for downloading metadata. Looks like their server didn't respond quick enough. Some warnings about audio discontinuity. But that is usually the video file itself not being encoded correctly. Nothing really jumps out from the log file.

Could you give more detail on what's happening?
How do you have Audio configured in XBMC system settings?
Have you done any changes recently that might correlate with the issue? Did you add a different advancedsettings.xml or anything? You're running the zero cache version, which is actually the same one I use too.

Only thing of note is that you're still running v12.0. 12.2 is the newest stable version. Are you still running the custom version of XBMC from the manufacturer of your box, or can you upgrade to 12.2? Some of the plugins can be picky about needing the newest version.

I would note that if at all possible, I'd use wired networking. Performance and reliability seem much better that way. Make sure to reboot your modem and router too. Make sure your router firmware is up to date.

The problems all started when I did the idiot brick that I talked about earlier. I tried to redo the firmware per the video you linked, but the firmware packages they linked to appeared to be empty. I ended up using a cadnadian (I think) firmware pack that I found in a different thread. That worked, but it appeared much more "bloated" than the original one (lots of repos and addons seemed to already be installed). I'd like to find a wAy to return the box to the way I received it and start over. I'm sure there is a way, but I haven't looked into it too much yet. If you have suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

As for what's happening: it just crashes a lot. The YouTube app seems to be the biggest culprit. 1channel videos will often play for a while, them the machine crashes. Currently we are almost though Elf with the family without a crash, and I'm that kful because my wife and kids are ready to kill me for the current unreliable state of our video watching.

And I'm looking at running an Ethernet wire to it. I think the shittu AT&T wireless router may be to blame for some of the connectivity and speed issues.

Chest Rockwell 12-24-2013 06:17 AM

I'm moving my convo into here since obviously I am teh failz at forum surch.

Couldn't get the remote app to work because I have to get to the settings to set mac and IP and whatnot. Which I can't do without a remote. I'm not even bothering to send the one that came with back as I'm too used to my Logitech touchscreen and I've hated similar remotes that I've used with other people's Roku's and whatnot.

Anyway, I'll probably run and get a keyboard/touchpad today, just looking for any recs. I know I like my Logitech HT remote and it sounds like that's what you're using NC. Fish, any other things you'd recommend looking at?

Gotta get this sheet today so I can futz around on the new toy all day tomorrow.

Chest Rockwell 12-24-2013 05:22 PM

Welp, left work early and been fuggin' with this thing for a few hours now and I gotta take a break. At this point, not terribly impressed.

Netflix is laggy and only showing in SD no matter what display settings I change. Running perfect as always on XBox w/same ethernet connection. One thing I noticed was there weren't any HD/Audio feed indicators on the Android app. Is that app just not HD? This some booshit if so.

Are there any updates to the Fusion stuff on XBMC or other recommended addons you guys are using (haven't looked at the tvonline or WTF stuff yet)? I followed the link you ref'ed, Fish and installed a bunch of stuff from zip. Most of the ones you recommended weren't there anymore, and the other Icefilms/Sportsdevil's stuff all seems to be showing as broken when I try to install the video stuff in the addons.

So, yeah, frustrated enough to quit messing with it for tonight even though I didn't have to pay for it. I don't care as much about the Netflix since I also have that in HD on my XBox (and my bluray and my tv and my ipad and my...seriously, WTF?) but I'm pretty interested in actually getting the XBMC to work...

NewChief 12-24-2013 05:38 PM

The Netflix app sucks bad enough in it that I run mine off my Wii when I want to use netflix. 1channel will help things a ton if you get it going. It's definitely something that must've tinkered with though.

Fish 12-24-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell (Post 10309426)
Welp, left work early and been fuggin' with this thing for a few hours now and I gotta take a break. At this point, not terribly impressed.

Netflix is laggy and only showing in SD no matter what display settings I change. Running perfect as always on XBox w/same ethernet connection. One thing I noticed was there weren't any HD/Audio feed indicators on the Android app. Is that app just not HD? This some booshit if so.

Are there any updates to the Fusion stuff on XBMC or other recommended addons you guys are using (haven't looked at the tvonline or WTF stuff yet)? I followed the link you ref'ed, Fish and installed a bunch of stuff from zip. Most of the ones you recommended weren't there anymore, and the other Icefilms/Sportsdevil's stuff all seems to be showing as broken when I try to install the video stuff in the addons.

So, yeah, frustrated enough to quit messing with it for tonight even though I didn't have to pay for it. I don't care as much about the Netflix since I also have that in HD on my XBox (and my bluray and my tv and my ipad and my...seriously, WTF?) but I'm pretty interested in actually getting the XBMC to work...

Is Netflix updated? Old versions of Netflix app were SD only. Check for updates. Make sure the firmware is up to date on the Jynxbox itself. Older firmware were bad with that model. Be sure you're running the latest version of XBMC as well. Should be 12.2 Frodo. Regarding the plugins, they are there I assure you. You just need to refresh the repositories to see them. It can be confusing. I posted this quite a while back.

Quote:

Right-click and select Check for Updates and Force Refresh. Do this several times. I've had to do it like 10 times in some cases. It takes a while for it to kick in, as it's downloading in the background. Do each a bunch of times, and then click on the repo listing again. It should show Working and the spinning progress bar, and eventually show you the contents. If you don't see anything in the contents but the "...", then it's not updated yet. Sometimes the sources of these get overloaded. It can be confusing at first, but be patient it will work...
My suggestion? Say **** it, go have a beer with friends and family. Relax and don't let it frustrate you tonight.

Then in a day or so, head over to this thread and read through it: http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/xbmc-a...ndroid-hd.html

From brief reading in that thread, it looks like it takes a little tweaking to make that smooth, and there are some updates available that you obviously need.

Chest Rockwell 12-24-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10309451)
The Netflix app sucks bad enough in it that I run mine off my Wii when I want to use netflix. 1channel will help things a ton if you get it going. It's definitely something that must've tinkered with though.

Thanks, both good to know. I'll just quit dicking with Netflix now. I'd spent enough time with that and a few other things that by the time I got to XBMC and the add-ons weren't where I expected them to be I didn't feel like continuing to look.

I'll give finding a good link to 1Channel and Sportsdevil a shot tomorrow.

Chest Rockwell 12-24-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10309457)
Is Netflix updated? Old versions of Netflix app were SD only. Check for updates. Make sure the firmware is up to date on the Jynxbox itself. Older firmware were bad with that model. Be sure you're running the latest version of XBMC as well. Should be 12.2 Frodo. Regarding the plugins, they are there I assure you. You just need to refresh the repositories to see them. It can be confusing. I posted this quite a while back.

My suggestion? Say **** it, go have a beer with friends and family. Relax and don't let it frustrate you tonight.

Then in a day or so, head over to this thread and read through it: http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/xbmc-a...ndroid-hd.html

From brief reading in that thread, it looks like it takes a little tweaking to make that smooth, and there are some updates available that you obviously need.

Groovy, thanks. I'll definitely check those out and see where my shit's sideways.

It downloaded updates for the firmware as soon as I booted it up, but I suppose it may not have gotten the newest stuff. The Jynxbox website is a joke. Not a funny one.

Like a dumpster fire that someone put out with acid.

I'm definitely working on beer #3, but no family around which is why I thought it might be a good project for today and tomorrow.

Again, much appreciation to you and NewChief.

Tomorrow we ride! (Tonight we get blackout, knee-walking, turkey-necking shithoused.)

Fish 12-24-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell (Post 10309466)
Tomorrow we ride! (Tonight we get blackout, knee-walking, turkey-necking shithoused.)

Whooooooooo!

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7901/l1ff.gif

Chest Rockwell 12-24-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10309489)

LMAO

I'mma make that dude look like a quaker.

Chest Rockwell 12-25-2013 09:36 AM

Welp, followed the instructions, upgraded all the apps, upgraded to Frodo 12.3 and now we have add-ons.

Starting to watch some stuff on 1Channel, but having some issues with video being stuttery and audio slightly out of sync. Have futzed with the video settings a bit, but not having much luck correcting. Any suggestions or is this likely just an issue with the stream?

Thanks again to both of you for all the help.

salame 12-25-2013 12:21 PM

advice*

007 01-18-2014 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10229526)

Here's a video:

took a bit but finally figured it out. Man, talk about a lot of steps.

aturnis 01-18-2014 12:39 PM

OK. I've been putting off cutting the cord, but think I'm ready. What hardware device do you recommend at this point? Anything new out there?

Fish. You're the man. Thanks for all the advice you've been doling out.

NewChief 01-18-2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10376297)
took a bit but finally figured it out. Man, talk about a lot of steps.

Most of this stuff is super easy and quick after you've done it a couple of times (which you'll end up doing, most likely due to having to reset the box on occasion).

007 01-18-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10376780)
Most of this stuff is super easy and quick after you've done it a couple of times (which you'll end up doing, most likely due to having to reset the box on occasion).

Thats why I am practicing on my PC and tablet.:thumb:

ragedogg69 02-02-2014 12:03 PM

http://www.serioussportstv.net/

It is happening as I predicted it. HD streaming is getting to a point where you can find live events in HD for free. I was watching UFC 169 last night in 720p. Hell, that is better than any Acestream or Streamtorrent I could find.

I just read an article on how ESPN's #1 policy now is to protect the pay TV model. Anyone hoping for WatchESPN as a stand alone subscription is dreaming.

NewChief 02-02-2014 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10407581)
http://www.serioussportstv.net/

It is happening as I predicted it. HD streaming is getting to a point where you can find live events in HD for free. I was watching UFC 169 last night in 720p. Hell, that is better than any Acestream or Streamtorrent I could find.

I just read an article on how ESPN's #1 policy now is to protect the pay TV model. Anyone hoping for WatchESPN as a stand alone subscription is dreaming.

Hell, ESPN is one of the most consistent, easiest to find streams on Sportsdevil.

aturnis 02-02-2014 03:47 PM

How big of a pain is initial setup and ongoing glitch troubleshooting of G-box? Thinking about pulling the trigger shortly.

NewChief 02-02-2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10408141)
How big of a pain is initial setup and ongoing glitch troubleshooting of G-box? Thinking about pulling the trigger shortly.

It's not an appleTV, that's for sure. I mean there is a wide spectrum of tolerance for troubleshooting. It's definitely not plug and play.

aturnis 02-02-2014 05:16 PM

I'd the Apple tv as capable?

NewChief 02-02-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10408266)

No. Legal, pay services only with it (Netflix, etc..).

aturnis 02-02-2014 05:58 PM

Thanks.

ragedogg69 02-03-2014 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10408266)

A Roku box is cheaper than an apple tv and with all the private channels you can find, it would have similar content to an XBMC box. Still, nothing beats the sportsdevil, 1channel, Icefilms combo.

aturnis 02-03-2014 06:56 AM

Crap, this is a stupid question, but I assume I'll need a box for each tv?

Baby Lee 02-03-2014 03:26 PM

Does anyone else use JRiver?

Love it.

Halfcan 02-03-2014 04:30 PM

I havn't had cable for 20 years. Time warner screwed me over and that was that.

I get all the air channels for free. Any shows I like, I can catch up on for free at the library.

I have probably saved 100 a month for close the 20 years and havnt missed it all.

NewChief 02-04-2014 10:33 PM

Fingers crossed, but I completely wiped xbmc and reinstalled frodo apk downloaded onto an SD card, and everything is running much much better now.

sfchief 02-06-2014 03:14 PM

Need some advice on this. I have haven't had cable for 2yrs now, we use netflix by Mail and OTA for tv. I made a fractional antenna array in the attic and get great reception from it.
I would like to use it for a dvr and to make use of xbmc for viewing options.

I already built a nas drive to store/share media, so here is my proposed build
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Bryansanders74/saved/3Fab

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Combo or $69.99
CPU AMD A6-6400K 3.9GHz Dual-Core Combo or $69.99
Memory Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 $54.29
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" SSD $89.99
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Case Silverstone ML04B HTPC $74.99
Optical Drive Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer Combo or $59.98
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

I need a little advise on a tv tuner we have 2 TVs one upstairs one down that would share the antenna.
Great info in this thread!
Thanks in advance