ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs The Myth that Nelson Sucks (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=318374)

staylor26 10-22-2018 04:56 PM

The Myth that Nelson Sucks

Simply put, it’s wrong.

Quote:

BJ Kissel
BJ Kissel
@ChiefsReporter
·
33m
#Chiefs CB Steven Nelson (92.7 PFF Overall Grade) was
@PFF
's top-graded player last night. He was targeted six times and only allowed two receptions for 33 yards.

Over the past six games, Nelson has only allowed 264 yards while being targeted 42 times.

He’s having a pretty good season, and at least half of CP thinks he sucks. It’s a shame.

Reerun_KC 10-22-2018 04:56 PM

but but Sutton!!!

Hammock Parties 10-22-2018 04:56 PM

staylor, white knighter of mediocre DBs the world over

TambaBerry 10-22-2018 04:57 PM

how many penalties does he have? Thats why people think they suck

Mecca 10-22-2018 04:58 PM

It's because he isn't capable of dealing with top level receivers, he's not awful but he's not great either. The Chiefs don't have a #1 CB so basically they all end up looking bad when they get that matchup..

If you added a guy like Peterson and bumped everyone else down that would do wonders for that secondary.

staylor26 10-22-2018 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13837087)
staylor, white knighter of mediocre DBs the world over

Hammock Parties, wrong about everything all of the time

Mecca 10-22-2018 05:02 PM

There are a lot of Steve Nelsons all over the league just most of them don't get asked to line up on 1's..same for Fuller and Scandrick. Those guys have value the problem is...they are all over matched against an elite WR.

staylor26 10-22-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 13837110)
There are a lot of Steve Nelsons all over the league just most of them don't get asked to line up on 1's..same for Fuller and Scandrick. Those guys have value the problem is...they are all over matched against an elite WR.

Outside of maybe 10 corners, they all are.

stevieray 10-22-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 13837095)
It's because he isn't capable of dealing with top level receivers,

Yet, here we are 6-1, and have already faced elite WR's.

That dog doesn't hunt anymore, WE are elite, at least for now.

NJChiefsFan 10-22-2018 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 13837110)

That's just it. Nelson is a valuable player if he isn't over-extended. And in fairness that's not his fault. As a slot guy I think you can do a lot worse. Long-term I don't think he can handle being a #2. That was my beef with him this off-season, or more specifically, with us allowing that to be the plan.

bigjosh 10-22-2018 05:05 PM

Nelson does suck. I have never seen him look back for the ball. He is constantly penalized. Can’t catch easy interceptions. The dude doesn’t even see the field for 28 other teams.

Eleazar 10-22-2018 05:05 PM

Having a decent game against a team that came into a prime time game at Arrowhead and completely laid an egg does not make Nelson a good corner.

SAUTO 10-22-2018 05:05 PM

Kissel with their excuse they aren't going after Peterson

TwistedChief 10-22-2018 05:08 PM

I don't hate Nelson, but how often was he matched up with AJ Green last night? I recall mostly Scandrick. A harsher grade otherwise?

It spoke loudly that Blake Bortles seemed keen to go after him.

Anyway, I think he's young and evolving. We should expect improvement from him throughout the season and hopefully we're seeing some of it. There's no part of me that dislikes Nelson at all as he's JAG-ish but green enough to have potential going forward,

staylor26 10-22-2018 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 13837125)
Having a decent game against a team that came into a prime time game at Arrowhead and completely laid an egg does not make Nelson a good corner.

This wasn’t his only good game, and let’s mot pretend like the Bengals don’t have a great duo in Green and Boyd.

Eleazar 10-22-2018 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13837133)
This wasn’t his only good game, and let’s mot pretend like the Bengals don’t have a great duo in Green and Boyd.

He sucks. Every week teams come out with the game plan to throw at him because the whole league knows it. He isn't good all of a sudden because he decided not to get a bunch of penalties or get lit up by anyone last night.

staylor26 10-22-2018 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 13837138)
He sucks. Every week teams come out with the game plan to throw at him because the whole league knows it. He isn't good all of a sudden because he decided not to get a bunch of penalties or get lit up by anyone last night.

You can’t get torched and have an above average PFF grade. It just doesn’t happen.

PFF is usually useless, but their corner grades are almost always spot on.

Nelson is PFF’s #48 corner. That doesn’t happen if you’re getting abused every week like you’re imagining he has been.

Molitoth 10-22-2018 05:24 PM

Outside of QB, I'd say DB is the hardest position to play in the NFL.

Chris Meck 10-22-2018 05:25 PM

He doesn't suck, he's just a #4 corner playing #2.

Bump 10-22-2018 05:28 PM

were any of those 6 targets last night drops? cause AJ Green was dropping that shit.

staylor26 10-22-2018 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 13837179)
He doesn't suck, he's just a #4 corner playing #2.

Oh so there are 100+ corners better than Nelson?

:rolleyes:

bigjosh 10-22-2018 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13837200)

Probably at least 60 or 70.

staylor26 10-22-2018 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjosh (Post 13837212)
Probably at least 60 or 70.

Yet he’s PFF’s 48th ranked corner despite playing on the outside on an island and being targeted early and often.

RunKC 10-22-2018 05:45 PM

Nelson got raped so badly last week in New England that he had to literally tackle Josh Gordon. Still got a 40+ yard PI.

staylor26 10-22-2018 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13837241)
Nelson got raped so badly last week in New England that he had to literally tackle Josh Gordon. Still got a 40+ yard PI.

Oh I guess he’s the first corner to get beat by an elite talent like Gordon

Chris Meck 10-22-2018 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13837200)

Did I say that? I don't think I said that. That's not at all what I said.

staylor26 10-22-2018 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 13837253)
Did I say that? I don't think I said that. That's not at all what I said.

Umm you said he’s a #4 corner. That’s exactly where that would put him.

RunKC 10-22-2018 05:52 PM

You act like this dude is good staylor. He’s not bad, but he isn’t good.

He’s a meh player that the Chiefs have no business paying after this year.

Scandrick is just as good as him.

Marcellus 10-22-2018 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 13837138)

If he is only giving up about 40 yards a game how is this possible?

Chris Meck 10-22-2018 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13837257)

Only if you're saying that each team has a minumum of two legit starting quality corners.

Chris Meck 10-22-2018 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13837257)

Only if you're saying that each team has a minumum of two legit starting quality corners.
I think his ceiling is a reasonable #3, mostly a #4 guy. Just his ranking among the people currently playing the position doesn't actually speak to his real ability, just his RELATIVE rating. It's not the same thing at all.

staylor26 10-22-2018 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 13837261)

Lol wut?

If you’re saying he’s a #4 corner at best on any team, you’re saying there are at least 100 corners better than him. It’s really simple.

staylor26 10-22-2018 05:59 PM

I swear it’s like some of you don’t realize that guys like Cooper, Mitchell, and even Gaines were all starters after they left here.

Do you even watch the rest of the league?

bigjosh 10-22-2018 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13837289)
I swear it’s like some of you don’t realize that guys like Cooper, Mitchell, and even Gaines were all starters after they left here.

Cooper and Mitchell are still playing better than Nelson .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Meck 10-22-2018 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13837269)
Lol wut?

If you’re saying he’s a #4 corner at best on any team, you’re saying there are at least 100 corners better than him. It’s really simple.

DID I SAY ON ANY TEAM? No. You're just trying to argue for the sake of arguing.

I think he's of max #3 mostly a #4 quality. NOT ON ANY TEAM. On a WINNING TYPE DEFENSE TEAM. He's small, looks like he lacks top end speed, and has average at best ball recognition skills. He's not SHITTY, he's just not a quality #2. He's a #3 at best a probably a #4 on a GOOD DEFENSE. In my opinion. Whatever.

Do you ****ing read and comprehend before you start arguing?

bigjosh 10-22-2018 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13837226)
Yet he’s PFF’s 48th ranked corner despite playing on the outside on an island and being targeted early and often.

Pff is wrong a lot.

Pff said Ryan Fitzpatrick was the number 1 qb through 3 weeks. [emoji1745]*[emoji3603]

htismaqe 10-22-2018 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13837085)
Simply put, it’s wrong.

He’s having a pretty good season, and at least half of CP thinks he sucks. It’s a shame.

Last night was the first night he wasn't committing DPI on a half dozen plays. It's not black or white. The truth actually lies in the middle, as it usually does.

staylor26 10-22-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjosh (Post 13837300)
Cooper and Mitchell are still playing better than Nelson .

Cooper has played in two games this year and is a backup at this point.

Mitchell has been struggling all year and he’s PFF’s #78 corner. Nelson is having a much better season.

Thanks for proving my point. You guys don’t have a ****ing clue about the rest of the NFL.

NJChiefsFan 10-22-2018 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13837289)

Gaines has been pretty bad for Buffalo, including a number of his classic penalties.

ChiefsFanatic 10-22-2018 06:09 PM

Last night Dalton threw to Green almost exclusively. Nelson wasn't covering Green. So, saying he graded out the best in that particular game means nothing.

The best thing I can say about Nelson is he doesn't get abused as often as Fuller does. Fuller is just trash. I don't know how he was rated so highly last year, because he is slow, his hips are slow, and he seems to have questionable technique.

I cannot be the only person watching the all-22 noticing he gets toasted whether he lines up inside or out.

So, in as far as he isn't Fuller, Nelson is OK.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

staylor26 10-22-2018 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 13837323)
Gaines has been pretty bad for Buffalo, including a number of his classic penalties.

I’m not saying he hasn’t. It’s actually pretty much my point. As bad as everybody thinks those guys are/were they are still NFL starters.

Hence why saying Nelson is a #4 corner at best is ****ing reeruned.

bigjosh 10-22-2018 06:15 PM

The Myth that Nelson Sucks

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13837317)
Cooper has played in two games this year and is a backup at this point.

Mitchell has been struggling all year and he’s PFF’s #78 corner. Nelson is having a much better season.

Thanks for proving my point. You guys don’t have a ****ing clue about the rest of the NFL.

Says the guy that failed to mention that Mitchell broke his ****ing arm 3 weeks ago, and cooper has been out with a hamstring for 4 weeks.

staylor26 10-22-2018 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjosh (Post 13837343)
Says the guy that failed to mention that Mitchell broke his ****ing arm 3 weeks ago, and cooper has been out with a hamstring for 4 weeks.

I’m well aware of Coopers injury, but I forgot about Mitchell’s.

That doesn’t change the fact that what I said was true.

Chris Meck 10-22-2018 06:21 PM

Let me explain what I'm saying again-you're not understanding me.

64 "starting" CB's, right? In base defense.

Nelson's rating out at #48.

so, bottom quarter of starting CB's. That's probably about right. He doesn't suck, he's just being asked to do things beyond his ability. He's kind of/sort of held his own, but he gets PI's a lot and does get burnt some. He's not a legit #2. There are a LOT of starting CB's in the league that also aren't up to the task. Hence-he's #48. That's not really that big of a stretch to understand, right? Relative to others, he's #48. Out of #64.

Add in the nickel corners and that number looks better, but considering that a lot of #2's aren't all that great, then how good are the #3's on those teams? So in other words-that ranking doesn't really SAY anything at all, does it? Not really. His size and physical limitations are what they are. He's miscast as a #2. He's a slot guy, #3 or #4 CB on a PLUS DEFENSE.

Ok? OK.

Titty Meat 10-22-2018 09:21 PM

LMAO

Hog's Gone Fishin 10-22-2018 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13837085)
Simply put, it’s wrong.

He's the best player on the last ranked defense in the NFL.

He sucks!

kysirsoze 10-22-2018 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic (Post 13837327)
Last night Dalton threw to Green almost exclusively. Nelson wasn't covering Green. So, saying he graded out the best in that particular game means nothing.

Of course Dalton is going to key on Green. That said, if you're not going to give a CB credit when they aren't targeted, then you aren't being fair. If Nelson's assignment was open, he would get targets. Clearly, more often than not, he wasn't.

WhiteWhale 10-23-2018 12:07 AM

Nelson is what he is.

He's a good man corner who's usually in position but doesn't have good ball awareness.

This is, in particular, a huge issue when he's matched up with WR's who DO have good ball tracking skills.

If Nelson could turn his head and track the ball he'd have a ton of interceptions. He's in good position most of the time he ALLOWS catches.

Sometimes players like that are the most frustrating. Guys with one glaring weakness that holds them back from being significantly better than they are.

JakeF 10-23-2018 12:24 AM

Pretty much every team we play targets Nelson from the very first snap. Even when we go to a dime package they still seem to go after him. Tells you all you need to know.

T-post Tom 10-23-2018 03:26 AM

So which half of CP thinks he sucks? I missed that poll.

Imon Yourside 10-23-2018 05:45 AM

He's Tom Bradys favorite Chief

htismaqe 10-23-2018 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 13837950)
Nelson is what he is.

He's a good man corner who's usually in position but doesn't have good ball awareness.

This is, in particular, a huge issue when he's matched up with WR's who DO have good ball tracking skills.

If Nelson could turn his head and track the ball he'd have a ton of interceptions. He's in good position most of the time he ALLOWS catches.

Sometimes players like that are the most frustrating. Guys with one glaring weakness that holds them back from being significantly better than they are.

Yep. Been saying it since Week 1. The guy needs to turn his head around.

O.city 10-23-2018 07:29 AM

Problem is, when you're playing man as a corner, you can't turn your head to find the football until it's the perfect time. Normally, you aren't going to get a lot of interceptions when you are playing man in the secondary. You're taught not to turn your head to look for the ball.

htismaqe 10-23-2018 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13838113)
Problem is, when you're playing man as a corner, you can't turn your head to find the football until it's the perfect time. Normally, you aren't going to get a lot of interceptions when you are playing man in the secondary. You're taught not to turn your head to look for the ball.

That's why good man corners are hard to find. They have to have PERFECT timing, otherwise they draw a bunch of PI's because they're hitting too early. Which happens to be the case with Nelson more often than not.

O.city 10-23-2018 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 13838120)
That's why good man corners are hard to find. They have to have PERFECT timing, otherwise they draw a bunch of PI's because they're hitting too early. Which happens to be the case with Nelson more often than not.

Pretty much.

The good ones don't get many chances because they cover their guy well.

ILChief 10-23-2018 07:59 AM

We give up a billion passing yards and everyone thinks our corners suck. They've actually been pretty good. It's our safeties and linebackers that have been the problems

htismaqe 10-23-2018 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 13838147)
We give up a billion passing yards and everyone thinks our corners suck. They've actually been pretty good. It's our safeties and linebackers that have been the problems

This is somewhat true. The real weak link in the pass defense, even on Sunday night is at safety. I saw them in Cover 2 several times against the Bengals where the safety was slow or took the wrong angle to the boundary. Parker does it WAY too much for a seasoned vet and I saw Lucas do it too.

That being said, our corners, especially Nelson and Fuller, haven't been stellar. For Nelson, it's a matter of limiting penalties, which he did Sunday night. The whole group is making progress.

ILChief 10-23-2018 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 13838151)
This is somewhat true. The real weak link in the pass defense, even on Sunday night is at safety. I saw them in Cover 2 several times against the Bengals where the safety was slow or took the wrong angle to the boundary. Parker does it WAY too much for a seasoned vet and I saw Lucas do it too.

That being said, our corners, especially Nelson and Fuller, haven't been stellar. For Nelson, it's a matter of limiting penalties, which he did Sunday night. The whole group is making progress.

Scandrick has been a real surprise. Imagine if we still had Amerson. Yikes. Fuller has been disappointing. I wasn't expecting Marcus Peters type play, but he's been fairly mediocre.

DJ's left nut 10-23-2018 08:43 AM

Nelson would be helped immensely by better safety play.

He's kinda trapped in the middle of Fuller and Scandrick, IMO. Fuller is a better athlete with more fluid movements and better quickness. He can be a little better out wide than Nelson because he's less likely to get straight up physically beaten. Scandrick, OTOH, is a roughly similar athlete to Nelson but he's a wiley veteran that knows some tricks that Nelson just doesn't. He's more aware and he's more cagey. He plays a little closer to the edge but it also makes him generally more effective, IMO.

Nelson is neither a superlative athlete nor is he a particularly intuitive cover guy. He's someone that can hang with WRs for a few steps because he's not a complete oaf out there, but if he's asked to hang for 2 seconds or more, he's probably beat. Your best hope with him is that he can mirror the first move because it's going to go downhill quickly from there given his relatively pedestrian athleticism. So he needs those safeties helping him out and to this point in the season they haven't been all that often.

Nelson's a JAG. If he's starting for you, you should be looking to upgrade. If he's your Nickel - you're probably okay there. He's been better than he was last year but maybe not quite as good as he was in the slot 2 years ago. Personally, I have no interest in paying him because adequate slot corners with physical limitations shouldn't be that hard to draft and develop.

But for the rest of the year, if the safeties get healthy (and Lucas continues to play well), you can cover for him. He's...okay. I'd say that Scandrick has clearly been better than him to this point and Fuller has more potential (and also looked decent on Sunday, IMO), but Nelson's a fine complementary defensive back who's worth having around until he costs real money.

O.city 10-23-2018 08:45 AM

I know he had a pick 6 on Sunday, but my god how awful of angles does Parker take? Like 3 times he takes a bad angle that gives up 20 plus extra yards.

Jesus.

wazu 10-23-2018 08:46 AM

It’s just so rare that I’ve seen Nelson make a play where he doesn’t look outmatched. Most plays I see him on look like pass interference, and he succeeds when refs don’t call it. Encouraging to see a good PFF grade, and obviously he isn’t getting burned too badly, so maybe my perception is wrong.

DJ's left nut 10-23-2018 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13838209)
I know he had a pick 6 on Sunday, but my god how awful of angles does Parker take? Like 3 times he takes a bad angle that gives up 20 plus extra yards.

Jesus.

Parker has been abysmal. The Pick 6 was fun, but he's constantly out of position. I thought he was gambling to make up for some decline in footspeed but at this point I think the opposite is true. Gambling would be giving him credit for realizing he's not as fast as he used to be.

I think he simply has no idea that he's a step slower. You watch how frequently guys just defeat his angle and it looks like he's just surprised that he didn't get there sooner.

I still don't think you can put Murray and Lucas out there without Parker's veteran understanding of the coverage. But man, if Sorensen or Berry (Hahahahahaha!!!) ever make it back, I'd have to take Parker off the field. He's just not getting it done and he's turning 5-6 yard plays into 18-20 yard plays a couple of times/gm.

DJ's left nut 10-23-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 13838211)
It’s just so rare that I’ve seen Nelson make a play where he doesn’t look outmatched. Most plays I see him on look like pass interference, and he succeeds when refs don’t call it. Encouraging to see a good PFF grade, and obviously he isn’t getting burned too badly, so maybe my perception is wrong.

Scandrick is the same way. So was Ty Law back in his day.

The 'physical' brand of corners always play like that, especially when they're in man coverage. There's very little sexy about playing man - that's just like riding a bull. You really are just hanging on for dear life and waiting for the buzzer to sound.

Being ugly but effective is all you can ask of anyone but maybe the top 6-8 cover guys in the league. Zone coverage is different; you can read and react - hopefully cut under some routes and make plays that look like you saw them coming all the way. But that's just not a reasonable expectation in man.

Sully 10-23-2018 08:53 AM

He made a tackle the other night, and coming down got hit in the balls. Poor guy was in pain for about 10 minutes, and I felt bad for laughing. But between plays it looked like he was going to die. He showed up between the snap and the whistle, but I'm telling you I thought he was going to take a knee at one point.

DJ's left nut 10-23-2018 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 13838230)
He made a tackle the other night, and coming down got hit in the balls. Poor guy was in pain for about 10 minutes, and I felt bad for laughing. But between plays it looked like he was going to die. He showed up between the snap and the whistle, but I'm telling you I thought he was going to take a knee at one point.

Is that what happened? I remember it - he was in a crouch when the play ended and looked like he was trying to stretch out. Then he kept stomping his right foot, even right up to the snap. I thought his groin had grabbed on him because he was obviously uncomfortable.

Luke Atamadong 10-23-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13837105)
Hammock Parties, wrong about everything all of the time

Is his GIFS are wrong then I DON'T WANNA BE RIGHT!!
AMA RIGHT??

O.city 10-23-2018 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13838216)
Parker has been abysmal. The Pick 6 was fun, but he's constantly out of position. I thought he was gambling to make up for some decline in footspeed but at this point I think the opposite is true. Gambling would be giving him credit for realizing he's not as fast as he used to be.

I think he simply has no idea that he's a step slower. You watch how frequently guys just defeat his angle and it looks like he's just surprised that he didn't get there sooner.

I still don't think you can put Murray and Lucas out there without Parker's veteran understanding of the coverage. But man, if Sorensen or Berry (Hahahahahaha!!!) ever make it back, I'd have to take Parker off the field. He's just not getting it done and he's turning 5-6 yard plays into 18-20 yard plays a couple of times/gm.

Put Murray and Lucas out there. It can't be worse. He's awful. He was a necessary evil early, but now, just no.

I don't know if they'll just outright cut him when the other 2 (1) comes back but they should.

O.city 10-23-2018 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 13838230)

Sully, where you been? Haven't seen you post in a while.

Mecca 10-23-2018 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13838216)

It's obvious why they tried to move on from him yet having 5 safeties get injured and here we are...

BossChief 10-23-2018 10:25 AM

Contract year and is average.

In today’s nfl, average corners are very valuable.

If we don’t extend him, he will get a surprising FA contract somewhere. More than most think.

That’s a huge reason Veach needs to go get Patrick Peterson...the difference between Nelson and Petersonis probably only gonna be like 4m per.

Sully 10-23-2018 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13838232)
Is that what happened? I remember it - he was in a crouch when the play ended and looked like he was trying to stretch out. Then he kept stomping his right foot, even right up to the snap. I thought his groin had grabbed on him because he was obviously uncomfortable.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. It seemed pretty obvious when he got up from the pile he had gotten hit in the dingaling.

Sully 10-23-2018 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13838240)
Sully, where you been? Haven't seen you post in a while.

I'm around. Don't feel inclined to post much the past few years. Pick my spots, and all...

Eleazar 10-23-2018 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 13838211)

Aside from the fact that everyone on CP seems to agree PFF is worthless - (except in this one instance where they support my preconceived notions...)

I get that people are searching, wishing, and hoping for anything that might be a sign the defense can rise to the level of being somewhat competitive, and that we aren't doomed to a one and done again this year.

Berry will come back, we just need to fire Sutton and everything will be fine, we'll make a a trade, etc...

The homeristic trend now seems to be back, after passable games against struggling offenses in the Jaguars and Bengals, to claim the defense isn't really that bad and that we'll play home games in the postseason and the D will show up.

Well... it's possible but they only looked decent in two very poorly quarterbacked games. Those aren't the kind of QBs who are going to come calling in the postseason. (Heck they didn't even have enough to handle Marcus Mariotta last year, when they were better)

Nothing fundamental has changed about the red carpet defense in the past three days. They've been lit up by every quality offense they have played. They just don't have the horses.

O.city 10-23-2018 10:52 AM

The Bengals were a struggling offense?

MIAdragon 10-23-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13838209)

Jesus.

Sometimes it just takes a bit longer for some to get it.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...=292756&page=6

:)

Eleazar 10-23-2018 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13838529)

Dalton basically played at the same level Bortles did against us.

staylor26 10-23-2018 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 13838440)
Contract year and is average.

In today’s nfl, average corners are very valuable.

If we don’t extend him, he will get a surprising FA contract somewhere. More than most think.

That’s a huge reason Veach needs to go get Patrick Peterson...the difference between Nelson and Petersonis probably only gonna be like 4m per.

Great post. Couldn’t agree more.

gblowfish 10-23-2018 11:07 AM

He's average to a tick below average. He's better than Phillip Gaines but not as good as Fuller. He's injury prone. He has a hard time getting his head turned around. He gets DPI's a lot. He drops picks -dropped two against Cincy. His tackling is average to less than average. He's not very good in run support. Besides that..... he's basically Eric Warfield with slightly better coverage skills.

htismaqe 10-23-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13838529)

I know right?

htismaqe 10-23-2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 13838574)
Dalton basically played at the same level Bortles did against us.

The were the #6 scoring offense in the league before facing the Chiefs.