ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Teenaged Girl; Looks Bored; SHREDS Van Halen! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273285)

Fairplay 05-22-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9701100)
I can play most anything with a mouthpiece.

You're setting yourself up Baby Lee, but I will be merciful.

Dayze 05-22-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 9701232)
I remember when Eddy Van Halen was god and all my guitar playing friends practiced Eruption until their fingers bled trying to figure it out. Now it's so ho-hum little girls are doing it.

Eddy Van Halen sounds like a cool ass Grandma.
:D

Fairplay 05-22-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9701348)
"Dad look what I just learned. 'Eruption'"!

I can play that blind folded.

007 05-23-2013 12:28 AM

You know. I don't give a crap if it is standard or not. If a 14 year old kid can play that it impresses me. JFC why does everyone to shit all over things like this.

DaneMcCloud 05-23-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9702480)
You know. I don't give a crap if it is standard or not. If a 14 year old kid can play that it impresses me. JFC why does everyone to shit all over things like this.

It impresses you because you don't spend time in music stores, nor do you teach guitar or play it.

It's far more impressive for a ten year old to play Bach, Mozart and Paginini on piano, which happens every single day worldwide, yet some 14 year old girl that films herself on YouTube playing guitar is somehow "impressive".

It's not.

DaneMcCloud 05-23-2013 12:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9701364)
Eddy Van Halen sounds like a cool ass Grandma.
:D

Yep

007 05-23-2013 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9702482)
It impresses you because you don't spend time in music stores, nor do you teach guitar or play it.

It's far more impressive for a ten year old to play Bach, Mozart and Paginini on piano, which happens every single day worldwide, yet some 14 year old girl that films herself on YouTube playing guitar is somehow "impressive".

It's not.

Doesn't change the fact that people don't have to shit all over it.

Dayze 05-23-2013 07:46 AM

check out her other vid on the classical guitar.
She will be, if not already, a great guitarist. I seriously think she decided fairly recently to give electric guitar a shot. I agree - the classical, jazz type guitarists are very skilled.

Chiefnj2 05-23-2013 07:52 AM

Dane is jealous the little girl can shred better than him.

vailpass 05-23-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9701150)
Seriously, where have you guys been the last 35 years? You can walk into any Guitar Center or Sam Ash in the country and hear kids playing Eruption. It's been part of the musical vocabulary now for 30+ years.

And she doesn't play it cleanly, either. The hammer-on/tapping thing is well done but that's easy. The picking and fingering is fairly sloppy.

Your talents and taste are more refined than most of ours. I did notice her reverb was off but it was still good to listen to. Funny, I have a friend who works for Guitar Center, ess moved from Phoenix to the LA location where he runs their Classics center, now rubs elbows with lots of the greats.

jspchief 05-23-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9701150)
Seriously, where have you guys been the last 35 years? You can walk into any Guitar Center or Sam Ash in the country and hear kids playing Eruption. It's been part of the musical vocabulary now for 30+ years.

And she doesn't play it cleanly, either. The hammer-on/tapping thing is well done but that's easy. The picking and fingering is fairly sloppy.

You're so dane

Stryker 05-23-2013 08:33 AM

I saw that yesterday - I think its incredible personally.

The Franchise 05-23-2013 09:22 AM

She doesn't look bored. She looks like she's just concentrating really hard.

DaneMcCloud 05-23-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9702554)
Doesn't change the fact that people don't have to shit all over it.

Look, I'm going to put this in perspective for you guys.

There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of children under the age of ten years old that play classical piano competitively. They are amazing players that are judged in competitions. Some go on to schools like Juliard, some go the symphony, so and so forth. I'm talking amazingly talented.

This video is of a 14 year old that's "kind of" playing Eruption. Big deal. You can walk into just about any music store across the nation (if not the world) and hear kids playing Eruption and far more complicated guitar parts that are played much better.

But since her parents think she's "special", they've made videos of her to put on Youtube to "share" her "specialness". She's not special and personally, I think it's rather exploitative.

Now, as I said earlier, it would be impressive had she taken the techniques used by EVH and Steve Vai and countless others to create something new. Instead, it's a pale imitation.

DaneMcCloud 05-23-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9702779)
She doesn't look bored. She looks like she's just concentrating really hard.

And the irony here is that EVH is an extremely "natural" player. Eruption was a second take. Spanish Fly was first take.

He is extremely musical, even when drunk off his ass. There are no words to describe his musical genius.